Chi v Oak post game talk

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by riczaj01, Aug 24, 2013.

1. soulman

soulman Position Coach
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    2,748ß
    Please Register or Log in to Remove this Advertisement!
    Steve Young also had a huge contract and there was no way the Mikey McCaskey run Bears were gonna pick that up. SF had an owner in the De Bartolo's that had the money and spent it on their team which is why the developed the dynasty they did being two and three deep with good vet talent at some positions. I mean Steve Young as a #2 to Joe Montana? Whoa!

Then came the salary cap and SF got their tit in a wringer for trying to get around and got fined and lost draft picks which started then on their eventual decline. Yeah Bill Walsh was a great coach but he had carte blanche as far as filling his roster before there way a salary cap to limit that kind of stock piling. In fact they, along with Jerry Jones and Dallas, were one of the main reasons there is a salary cap. The other owners didn't want to have to keep competing with their deep pockets.

2. soulman

soulman Position Coach
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    2,748ß
    Which is why when they were all right there for him to grab you have to look into all of the reasons for him not being able to do that and a vision problem is one of those issues. I once worked with eye docs who treated Packer players for vision related issues so it's not just something I pulled out of my keester. Some players need visual therapy to overcome a problem like this.

3. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Assistant Head Coach
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    4,764ß
    He was getting open. He runs good routes. But he actually looks worse than K.Davis trying to catch (and I watched him at training camp too). The kid couldn't catch a football if his life depended on it. Even balls that hit him perfectly - he just drops them.

He's not just bad. He's pathetic.

Trestman isn't stupid. He knows he at least needs 1 backup TE to Bennett who can catch a football. I'm thinking they may try to snag someone who gets cut from another team's roster. Surely we won't go with the TE roster we have now. I hope not anyway.

Soul, maybe I'm wrong here. I am wrong a lot on player issues (you guys know that). But regarding this particular player situation, there's a "history" here that I can't shake. For years we've seen the Bears try to make a silk purse out of a sows ear (the Webb thing, or K.Davis, or the countless players in the past that couldn't play their football position........Hester as WR is another failure). I really don't feel good about players playing a position on the team where they can't play due to lacking the skills to PLAY that position (like a receiving TE who can't catch a football). I just have a sick feeling in my stomach that this kid can't play.

#53 JustAnotherBearsFan99, Aug 25, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2013
  4. soulman

soulman Position Coach
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    2,748ß
    Then you need to find out why and that brings me back to the vision issue. I could be totally off base with that but this kid did play college BB on some good teams and in order to play forward on a BB team you have to be able to catch a ball and rebound so what's the reason those skills aren't carrying over? Maybe it's hand/eye coordination, maybe it's nerves and maybe the guy just has hand of stone but whatever it is, if he's getting the rest done well, they need to see if it's correctable.

If he has any PS eligibility the maybe that's why he's still around. Adams can be the 3rd TE while they stick Onobun in front of a jugs machine for 8 hours and make him learn to catch. It worked wonders for Tim Jennings. That kid couldn't catch a cold in 2011 and last year he leads the league in picks and makes the Pro Bowl and on it goes. So if he can be fixed than it's possible Onobun can be fixed as well.

• Like Like x 1
  5. MPbears68

MPbears68 Hall of Famer

ßearz ßuckz:
    1,262ß
    Guess I misunderstood your point about Harrell. I just don't see Blanchard's injury as being all that long term. It's not his throwing hand so a few weeks splinted and he should be ok I would think. The only reason to IR him wold be roster protection so PUP only if he needs a little more time. Are you thinking they might try to sneak him back on the PS? Dunno...

Your last paragraph made me laugh, great analogy. Yeah, idealism often runs into reality in life, huh? We don't have a young QB (yet) who's ready to be the stand-alone #2, especially with MB missing reps this preseason. And we had no shot at drafting one worthy either. So, the "dreaded vet backup" is the only option right now and McC is no worse than most all things considered and way cheaper than the few who might be a little better (Moore? Daniels?). Until Blanchard or a draftee is ready, I don't know wtf some people expect us to do....

6. JustAnotherBearsFan99

SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    4,764ß
    Soul, all of your points are good. And to be honest, I did wonder about the fact that he played basketball at a solid BB school. So you'd think the guy could catch a ball. It could be vision I guess. Or it could be a "head problem" that makes him drop easy passes now. Maybe it's a confidence thing, where he's been cut by so many teams over the past three years that he simply has zero confidence, and drops easy passes. I just worry that it's a repeat of the countless other stone hands guys we've had on our rosters. Guys who simply can't play.

LOL. He's one butt ugly guy to watch right now though. You want to throw up watching how badly he performs. I gave him a pass on the TD drop, even though it was a pass anyone could catch (even non-football people like my wife), but this last game - wow - the guy was just butt-ugly out there. Bad. Really really stinking it up. If he played that way in a REAL game we'd be throwing a shoe through our TV after those pathetic drops.

#56 JustAnotherBearsFan99, Aug 25, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2013
  7. soulman

soulman Position Coach
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    2,748ß
    I don't think he's eligible for placement on the PUP once he's practiced, only the IR. So if he's not ready to go by the opener Trestman needs to decide whether he can live with just two QBs until Blanchard can go again or whether to keep one of the others for a game or two and keep Blanchard on the 53 man roster and just leave him inactive. I don't they'll risk putting him on the PS. QB hungry teams are looking for developmental guys and he's as good as anybody I've seen the Bears bring here in a very long time. I think if they put him on waivers somebody will take him before he even gets to the PS because once he's on our PS no one can take him just for theirs. They have to keep him on the active roster.

LOL, it's not that Ric and others may not be right about the correct approach to it all but it's still very premature for next year and way to late for this one unless somebody gets cut whose better but then how are you gonna teach him the offense in a very short period of time vs McCown whose had almost six months of it. So for now we have to accept McCown as the best option available until something else materializes. The analogy was simply meant to say why waste the energy arguing something that won't change. We have no other QBs who are any better and that fish ain't goin' back in the lake. Sometimes you just have to surrender to inevitability right? :D

8. soulman

soulman Position Coach
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    2,748ß
    I'm sure not arguing for keeping the guy against all common sense that says don't. Even though we saw that kind of thinking in the past I don't think it's operative any longer around this team under Emery and Trestman. If there's one thing these two do often is collect that facts, form an opinion, and make a decision popular or not. He may well be that 15th guy whose name hasn't been released yet and God knows based on his last few games it wouldn't shock me beyond the fact that if they already let Miller and Pope go my guess is he'll be around until the final cut down.

If he makes it to the active roster there must be some reason for doing it. Trestman has nothing vested in him like Tice did with Webb or Martz did with Chester Taylor and Manu the "Pineapple" a TE he had playing FB or RWill and his assurance that he, Mike Martz, would magically resurrect that lazy assholes career to the tune of 80 catches of more that year. LMAO! Onobun can't be worse than RWill was and at least Onobun is willing to block. I don't see Trestman keeping anyone who can't perform now at least well enough to be trusted playing at a backup spot.

• Like Like x 1
  9. JustAnotherBearsFan99

SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    4,764ß
    That's the best point from anyone on the Onobun situation IMHO. If we keep him then the people who know best see something in him worth gambling on. I trust this coaching staff, so if they keep him, then I'll believe he's worth it. That's the bottom line.

10. Nakoma1

Nakoma1 Veteran

ßearz ßuckz:
    Yeah and Webb was a great move

BLUNDER # 1