Chi v StL what we learned

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by riczaj01, Nov 24, 2013.

1. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,575 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,778ß
    I knew this was going to be a long game after the 1st Bears O and D chances. I turned the game off w/like 4 min's left in the game to go run some errands w/my wife and somehow before I left the house the Bears had given up 2 more scores. It ended as bad as it started.

Chi O: 3 TO's and an OL that really didn't get it done. Bush is not a good backup, he's actually quite bad. If you were wondering why the Bears weren't using him much, you now know why. The Bears again, w/out a Def TO to help set them up w/an easy score struggled to score 20+ points. 21 isn't enough to win, no matter how good or bad your D is in todays NFL. It doesn't help that your rb you are relying on fumbles in the the other teams redzone, and that your qb throws an int and fumbles the ball. DaBU, Marshal and Jeffery all had really good games, and Forte, if not for a horrible earl block in the back did his best to make up for his early fumble. Tony Fiametta can not be off this team soon enough btw, I think I can remember his name being called equally for good and bad plays, and I think i'm being generous. Again they got off to a slow start and, not that it's their fault, the D cannot afford one stalled drive by this O.

Chi D: It's awful guys, there is no gap integrity at all. That TAustin TD was b/c of the entire D over pursuing to the ball. Multiple long runs were b/c the LB's and DL and DB's were not in their gap and ready to make a stop. Bostic had a bad game, everyone had a bad game. Shea, I was wrong, please stay hurt, Bass seems a much better option at this point. Peppers disappeared again, the guy cannot string together 2 big performances.

Chi ST's, Hester finally got one and it got called back, story of the last 2 weeks for this team.

Chi Coaches: You got owned, plane and simple. Your team was not ready, they were sloppy, again, tons of pre snap penalties which this team also cannot afford. In a week that you had to win b/c there was good chance Det would lose how could you be this ill prepared. What is it about your first 15 scripted plays that the O looks so bad during them?

StL O: I knew stacy was going to have a big game? But giving up 100yrds to his backup? WTH? And you sold out to let clemmons beat you, and not only did you not stop the run, but you didn't stop Clemmons either? Their OL is solid though and kept the front four of the chic D held in check all game. That allowed the DB's to again get exposed. and Clemmons, Stacy and every other Ram player took advantage

StL D: They might have a better front 4 then Det, and the rest of their D is better too. I knew the Bears would struggle against them, but man I didn't think it would be this bad. I want the Bears D to be like this for christmas. Keep the presents Sants, just give the Bears this kind of DL rush.

StL St: you got lucky, this game is different if not for a cheap pentalty.

StL Coaches: I don't like Fisher as a coach, I think he instills a near dirty play to the edge of the whistle attitude, but he's obviously a good coach and had his team ready and ready enough to keep them from getting stupid fouls. They flat out owned the Bears coaches today.
  2. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,575 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,778ß
    Rams jump out to early lead, hold off Bears in 4th quarter
    http://scores.espn.go.com/nfl/recap?gameId=331124014

ST. LOUIS -- The Long brothers were part of a first-half tussle, and the St. Louis Ramspushed the Chicago Bears around most of the day.

Tavon Austin's 65-yard touchdown run -- his fourth straight this season from beyond midfield -- jump-started a 21-point first quarter and the defense made some big plays, too, in a 42-21 victory over the Chicago Bears on Sunday.

Coming off their bye, the Rams (5-6) followed up a 30-point rout of Indianapolis in front of their largest crowd of the season, about half of them clad Bears orange. Late scores by rookie backup running back Benny Cunningham and defensive end Robert Quinn helped finish off the Bears (6-5), who remained tied for the NFC North lead.

Josh McCown passed for 352 yards and two touchdowns with an interception for Chicago, which had won four straight in the series. The Bears had a 62-yard punt return for touchdown by Devin Hester nullified by a holding penalty in the fourth quarter.

The Longs -- Chicago guard Kyle and St. Louis defensive end Chris -- lined up close to each other all day and were the focal point of one skirmish in the first half. After McCown threw an incomplete pass to fullback Tony Fiammetta in the second half, Fiammetta and Rams cornerback Trumaine Johnson squared off, causing players from both teams to rumble.

Kyle Long raced down the field get to Rams end William Hayes, and had him down before his big brother intervened. Chris Long, who had taken the play off, raced off the sideline to corral Kyle Long and drag him from the fight to the sideline.

Cunningham's 9-yard run with 3:05 to play plus a 2-point conversion pass from Kellen Clemens to Isaiah Pead put the Rams up 35-21. Quinn stripped McCown on a sack and then scooped up the ball on a 31-yard return just before the 2-minute warning.

The Bears had first-and-goal at the 4 on their opening drive of the second half trailing 24-14 and got nothing when coach Marc Trestman decided against a field goal and Michael Bushwas thrown for a 4-yard loss by Jo-Lonn Dunbar.

All of the Rams' home games have been televised locally. But Sunday's attendance of 66,024 was nearly 10,000 more than the previous best.

Cunningham rushed for 109 yards on 13 carries, most of it in the second half after Stacy was sidelined with concussion-like symptoms. Johnson and guard Chris Williams also left following blows to the head.

McCown's passing yardage total was the third-best of his career and most since 2005.

The Rams stunned the Bears with two big plays and two touchdowns before the first capacity crowd of the year, with about a 50-50 home-road mix and orange jerseys everywhere, could settle in.

Austin's 65-yard run gave them points on their opening possession the first time all year and Stacy's 1-yard run capitalized on a lost fumble by Matt Forte at the 7 for a 14-0 cushion with 12:36 to go in the first quarter.

Jared Cook added a 6-yard catch from Clemens late in the first for a 21-7 cushion, offsettingMartellus Bennett's 7-yard reception from McCown.

The Rams totaled 29 points in the first quarter during the first 10 games before surging against a defense that been on the upswing, allowing an average of 20 points the last three games.

Brandon Marshall got free with a little push off Janoris Jenkins on a 3-yard catch that cut the gap to 21-14 with 5:19 to go in the half.

---

AP NFL website: www.pro32.ap.org
  3. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,575 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,778ß
    http://espn.go.com/blog/chicago/bears/post/_/id/4688496/rapid-reaction-chicago-bears-7

Rapid Reaction: Chicago Bears
    November, 24, 2013
    NOV 24
    4:36
    PM ET
    By Michael C. Wright | ESPN.com

What it means: The Bears blew an opportunity to seize control of the NFC North with the loss to the Rams. Detroit fell 24-21 to Tampa Bay earlier on Sunday. So a Bears win would have given them sole possession of the division lead.

Run defense remains horrid: Before they started downing the ball at the end of the game to run down the clock, the Rams averaged 10 yards per attempt against a Bears run defense that came into Sunday’s contest ranked No. 31 in the NFL. By the timeBenny Cunningham scored on a 9-yard run with 3:05 left to play, the Rams had already ripped the Bears for 261 yards on the ground. St. Louis finished with 259 yards.

Zac Stacy took the team’s first run 11 yards. Two plays later, Tavon Austin caught a pitch left, reversed field right, and picked up a block to go down the sideline 65 yards for a touchdown. The Rams gained 82 yards rushing on their first three plays from scrimmage, and set a franchise record by finishing the first quarter with 123 yards rushing (100 coming on Austin’s run, and a 35-yard gain by Stacy).

Austin, Stacy and Cunningham join Johnathan Dwyer, James Starks, Adrian Peterson,Reggie Bush, Ray Rice and Eddie Lacy as players to bust runs for gains of 25 yards or more this season against the Bears. Chicago has now given up eight runs for gains of 32 yards or more, including three runs of 40-plus yards.

Bass still opening eyes: Rookie David Bass was nominated last week for Rookie of the Week after making five tackles and tipping a Joe Flacco pass to himself for a 24-yard interception return for a touchdown. Bass followed that up with a sack against the Rams. He dropped Kellen Clemens for a 9-yard loss with 4:12 left in the first quarter.

Too much laundry: By halftime last week, the Bears had already topped their season high with six penalties for 61 yards. They finished with 13 penalties for 111 yards. Chicago obliterated that against the Rams -- not because of the number of penalties or yardage, but the impact of the penalties. Bears touchdowns by Devin Hester and Brandon Marshallwere nullified by holding calls.

Missed opportunity: The Bears missed an opportunity to cut a 24-14 deficit in the third quarter when coach Marc Trestman attempted to convert a fourth-and-goal from the St. Louis 1. Trestman called for an off-tackle run by Michael Bush, but linebacker Jo-Lonn Dunbar dropped Bush for a 4-yard loss. St. Louis took advantage of Chicago’s setback and extended its lead on the next possession, going 73 yards in 11 plays with Greg Zuerleinnailing a 40-yard field goal to make the score 27-14.

Coming into the game, the Bears had converted 6 of 9 fourth downs.

What’s next: Another road trip awaits; this time, it comes Sunday against NFC North foe Minnesota. Given Chicago’s injury situation, look for the Bears to take the day off Monday before beginning preparations Wednesday for the matchup against the Vikings.
  4. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,012 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,711ß
    In a season where you have a rotten defense, you gotta make every play count. The stupid (avoidable) penalties are indicative of an undisciplined team. I can accept the other stuff with the team (even thought I'm unhappy about the injuries, and rotten defense) but the undisciplined play is a direct reflection on poor coaching IMHO. Undisciplined play. Self-inflicted wounds that break your back and result in losses. I hate it.
  5. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,575 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,778ß
    I actually agree w/that JABF, I don't want to hear about Tucker scheme or play calling, but the very nature of their over pursuit is an indication that the players are not getting taught, or are not listening or both.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. mdbearz

mdbearz Veteran

Ratings:
    +290 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    28ß
    Get Casey Hampton, fire Tucker, and let Hoke run the defense till next year.
  7. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,012 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,711ß
    If we didn't have those key plays nullified by stupid penalties, then maybe we could have won this game, even with the horrid defense. But it seemed like every time we had a great play it was called back due to an incredibly stupid/needless penalty. Only bad teams beat themselves this way. Right now we are a bad team.
  8. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,575 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,778ß
    tuckers not getting fired, between inj's, age and not being asked to run his scheme he'll get his shot next year.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,472 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    502ß
    The penalty on Fiametta was complete bullshit and a total over-call by the refs (who were clown-school bad in general overall). There are muggings 4 times more flagrant every play that aren't called. The roughing the passer on McCown was an equally bullshit call the other way as a make-up.

TF is no star by any means but he was about #19 on the the top-20 list of who lost this game. Bush, Trestman, every player on the D...take your pick...all way way more negative impact than Fiametta.
  10. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,472 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    502ß
    Probably so.
    He still sucks until he proves otherwise.
    The D has been horrible right from the start.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Position Coach

Ratings:
    +2,262 / 10 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,656ß
    I agree. One more year of sub par D, but then he should be gone.
  12. 4th and 26

4th and 26 George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +742 / 3 / -6
    ßearz ßuckz:
    616ß
    Remember when the replacement refs made bad calls last year? Yeah I remember them getting blasted yet the regular refs are equally bad on their calls this year. This is not the reason the bears lost I would say no defense is the reason they lost and turnovers along with the Rams showing up to play today. All I can say is I think our offense is much improved and our defense is really bad. They are old and broken and some players are going to be gone. One thing I can say is that I like seeing the rookies play. One more thing Hester needs to stop running the ball out of the end zone 8 and 9 yard deep.
  13. hoth

hoth Veteran

Ratings:
    +61 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    48ß
    I learned that frustration and embarrassment are the two words that define this season.
  14. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,575 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,778ß
    4th, glad you said it, and you're right, the replacement refs were not getting judged by the same standards as the reg refs were/are/have been in the past. They were bad...really bad but much like I expect backup players to be bad, I expect the replacement refs to be bad; vice versa I expect the starters to be better and so the regular refs. And they have been bad this year.

BiH, what happens if after the retool the D is playing at an average to above average level? Reality is the players regardless of scheme have to execute the plays, and these guys aren't. Reality is, while this has been...BY FAR...the worst D I can remember, Lovie D's w/no pass rush have been pretty damn bad also, and he never had the amount of inj's to contend with. Be careful to judge this to quickly, the D was not 100% to start the year.

If next year the D hasn't vastly improved I'll be right down Tuckered out also, but you cannot judge him w/the cards he is dealing w/anymore then you could judge Forte or Cutler behind that awfull OL>
  15. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Position Coach

Ratings:
    +2,262 / 10 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,656ß
    Ric - It's possible. But doesn't the DC bear some responsibility when the whole D does not seem to execute his plays? And there are about 5 games left in the season? How long does it take for him to get his players to respond? I mean, no one other than Briggs was playing well.
  16. short faced bear

short faced bear Assistant Head Coach DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,273 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    217ß
    So all Tucker has to do is "improve" and he's a keeper? So he goes from dead last to 5-10 spots up he's good then. That doesn't work for me b/c we'll hear the same excuses (implementing scheme, new players, old players etc.) When fundamentals like tackling, landmarks in coverage, and gap integrity aren't emphasized then a entire team of pro-bowlers won't help this team.

I really hate to say it esp. with a new DC but fire Tucker TODAY. THIS IS BAD. Excuses stop and accountability begins in earnest NOW.
    • Like Like x 1
  17. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,472 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    502ß
    Yep. The Tucker-excuses remind me of the same mentality that kept J'Marcus Webb a "starter" for 2 years too long.
  18. jackiejokeman

jackiejokeman Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +223 / 2 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    606ß
    Bush scores a TD but we should cut his ass because we never use him in a game long enough to get into a groove.

That makes sense. We should cut Ford because he never plays.
  19. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,472 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    502ß
    Bush was 7 carries for -5 yards (let that sink in, its hard to do) and dropped a sure fire TD pass. And has sucked all year in his supposed "speciality" as a short yardage power back.

Yeah we should keep paying a guy a couple million per year who isn't even producing at an UDFA level.
    That makes sense.
  20. jackiejokeman

jackiejokeman Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +223 / 2 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    606ß
    Either get him involved in the game more or cut him.