Chi v StL what we learned

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by riczaj01, Nov 24, 2013.

1. DavidL

DavidL Pro-Bowler SuperFan

Ratings:
    +600 / 4 / -17
    ßearz ßuckz:
    275ß
    Or give Ford a shot. He ran pretty well preseason.
    • Like Like x 1
  2. jackiejokeman

jackiejokeman Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +168 / 1 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    112ß
    Thats what I mean ...we have them on the team but to use them in a down or two situation is stupid,

because they will never get warmed up to get going and always be cold players.

And never produce results. And the results show.
  3. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,473 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    266ß
    Problem is these guys are over pursuing. It was common problem under Lovie and Co too. Lovie was never held responsible when he didn't have a front 4 and his D fell to 17-20th, but he never suffered 2 starting lb's, a db, and 3, really 4 starting/backup DL. I guess I'm coming from a point where I don't know what you ask a DC to do when he's playing guys that shouldn't be playing. Cohen shouldn't be on a NFL team, no amount of coaching fixes that, Greene/Bostic should be spot players this year, no amount of coaching them up is going to give them the experience they need to be in the right place at the right time; it's why they signed DJ and Anderson, it's beyond rare to have rookie lb's from the 2nd and 4th rounds to be quality starters in year 1. For all the love for Jennings the past few years, you are seeing he's been riding on Tillmans coattails, and w/out him not only is Jennings exposed but the Bowman is too. Our DB's sucked last year, I talked this off season about getting a safety, now you see why.

I know they started slow from the get go, but Melton and Peppers and DJ hadn't played all pre season, their pre season was the first few games; and we all worried about peppers age to start with, we were right. Melton got hurt before he could get 3-4 games into him and hit his stride. DJ was playing really well, then got hurt.

And in the end what I see about this team is that, as good as the O is, for them to score 24+ points they still need the Def to get turn overs and good field position, or flat out score for them. That didn't happen yesterday and the O, while it moved the ball, couldn't score more then 21 points, which isn't enough to win games in the nfl. Out of 14 games yesterday 21 points would have been enough to win 4 of them; let that sink in. 21 points gives you this week a 2 in 7 chance of winning. 24 points gives you a 50-50 shot. 30 gives you a a 65% shot of winning. But the Bears O cannot get those points if the D doesn't give them the ball via TO's. Worse then that, the O gave the ball back to StL 3 times yesterday, so they gave a hot O 3 more chances to rub in just how bad the Bears D is; and it is bad. The O needs to protect the D, not expose it.

How long did it take for the Bears O to get rebuilt, 2 years and a new HC? I would give Tucker at least another year to see if he can get the D, after an offseason of rebuild to see if he can move the D up to a 20+ area, and if he can then give him another shot to get it up another 5-10 spots w/another offseason of rebuilding this D.

I think people forget how poorly this team was constructed the last few years. There is no depth behind the starters, and some of the starters shouldn't be starters. Last offseason they got rid of most those issues on O, and tried to fill holes on the D, but this team is still lacking depth across the board, especially on D, bowman is barely backup quality, Conte/Wright are backup quality at best(they are your starters) Bostic/Greene should be spot duty tops(they are your starters), Cohen shouldn't be on a team, Wootton is not a DT, Shea is a spot DE at best, and Bass is a UDFA rookie from the Raiders. those are your starters right now. And then go back and look for 1/2 those types of inj's on a Lovie team and see how bad those D's were; and then imagine what it would have been like if they had lost several other starters....I think it wouldn't be to far to believe it wouldn't be much better then what we have now.
  4. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,473 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    266ß
    Jackie they gave him a shot to get involved, and he got neg 5 yards, and at least 1 drop, for a TD none the less. Since when does a team say, hey you didn't do shit out there, but we're going to give you more chances to give us worse field position?
  5. DaTreeBears

DaTreeBears Veteran

Ratings:
    +443 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    45ß
    We now know what Dan Marino felt like all those years in Miami.
    • Like Like x 2
  6. tbear1

tbear1 Veteran

Ratings:
    +122 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    14ß
    We learned that our bad defensive team can get even worse. Everyone was joking about Dallas, well we are now knocking on their door at the bottom of the league.
  7. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Hall of Famer

Ratings:
    +1,021 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    40ß
    The good news is we are 32nd in run defense. We no longer can get any worse at that.
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. shark86x

shark86x Pro-Bowler SuperFan

Ratings:
    +484 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    56ß
    unfortunately, we can. Although we can't lower our rank we can surely figure out how to give up even more yards...
  9. ram29jackson

ram29jackson Rookie

Ratings:
    +14 / 3 / -6
    ßearz ßuckz:
    we also learned you aren't allowed to touch QBs anymore

[​IMG]
    • Like Like x 1
  10. shark86x

shark86x Pro-Bowler SuperFan

Ratings:
    +484 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    56ß
    Yeah, that was pretty bad. But most of the bad calls went against the Bears. Refs stink and they need a system to fine them for bad calls. Or something.
  11. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Hall of Famer

Ratings:
    +1,021 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    40ß
    Only way might be if our D sits on the bench when the opposing O is on the field. Even then, they might tire themselves out and not score too many more points.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,216 / 8 / -7
    ßearz ßuckz:
    112ß
    I agree, only because a "bruiser back" like Bush is a horrible fit for an offensive line that can't get much, if any push. Ford's pretty fast, and the Bears need to rely on speed, even at the goal line.
    • Like Like x 3
  13. Trackguy

Trackguy Veteran

Ratings:
    +142 / 1 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    He may be big, but he's simply not a goal line, short yardage runner. He doesn't have the instincts. He seems to dance when he should ramrod and he ramrods when he should show a little more patience. Forte does a better job in short yardage.
    • Like Like x 3