Chi v Was what we learned

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by riczaj01, Oct 20, 2013.

1. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,412 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    150ß
    Ugh what an ugly game, Cutler/Marsh go out on O, Briggs/Tillman out on D, on top of the guys already out.

Chicago O: Did we get a hint of what Trestmans O can look like when plays are not called out of by the qb to often? Cutler looked horrible, McCown looked okay to pretty good, throwing up some darts and some equal ducks...and then taking a sack to end the game. Forte looked good in the 2nd half when the team started to rely on him more, Earl finally showed up for a game, Jeffrey had a good 2nd half, BMarsh really didn't have as good of a game as one might think then got hurt.

Chicago D: Looked awful, but was quickly worn down by an O that got a whopping 50 yards in the first half and was on the field a whopping 7min's. The D, in the first half, was on the field more then they should have been the whole game and it showed in the 2nd. Add in losing, Briggs and Tillman and they just aren't good enough to stop anyone, including a weak O like Washington. No defense should give up 40+ points reglardless.

Chicago coaches: ugh I'm officially confused about the O now. Does Trestman know how to call a good game and Cutler is making him look bad? Or was Trestman forced to call a more standard set of plays b/c of McCown and therefore scaling back allowed the O to take a step forward? Mel, I know your entire starting squad seems hurt, but at some point you have to do something to try and fix this mess.

Chicago ST's: Hester is still dangerous, and Weems should be cut, 'nuff said. Gould missed an easy chip and cost the team big.

Wash O: They did the same thing to Dallas last week, but were able to punch in and score this week. racked up tons of yards and limited their turn overs and the Bears D broke, like it has in years past when the opposing O doesn't turn the ball over.

Wash D: They are a hard hitting, if not dirty, crew, and if the Chicago O didn't start off so slow this might have been a different game.

Wash ST's: nothing impressive here, allowed a Hester TD and, if not for a close call, would have given up Gould's first ever onside kick.

Wash Coaches: Maybe Shanny knew his former qb enough to make him look like a fool? I cannot think of another reason why Cutler looked so bad. They took full advantage and kept the chicago O off the field and wore out the Bears D.
    • Like Like x 1
  2. butka

butka Rookie

Ratings:
    +110 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    I learned that FS has moved a slot or two on the list of offseason needs. Conte blows.
    • Like Like x 6
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,188 / 8 / -6
    ßearz ßuckz:
    59ß
    Yeah, it's not looking good for Jay, that ALL of the receivers showed life as soon as he left the game. With him continuing to burn timeouts early, and avoiding the dumpoff pass when possible, we're starting to get a good feel on how much of the offensive problems belong to Jay. It's starting to look like a lot.
    • Like Like x 2
  4. hoth

hoth Veteran

Ratings:
    +37 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    learned that.......this is gonna be a looooong year.

learned that Trestman's offense is great when the qb has some pocket presence, gets rid of the ball quickly and doesn't stand there like a moron waiting to get plowed.
  5. Jimmors

Jimmors The Rhymenoceros Staff Member SuperFan

Ratings:
    +3,943 / 8 / -4
    ßearz ßuckz:
    123ß
    The offense has always struggled to get going early in games this season, and this game was no different. If Trestman is anything, he is good at making halftime adjustments, our second halves (offensively) have typically been better than our first, including comebacks.

I think you are over-exaggerating how "bad" Cutler has been this season, he has been pretty decent (QB-wise), he had one horrible game, but has been pretty solid besides that.

So, i would say that Trestman's system is very QB friendly, which is bad news for Jay, since that means we can find a new QB elsewhere this off-season, without hitching our horse to Jay for 100M dollars. A lot can still happen though, Jay might bounce back and continue his pace to put up 4500 Yards, time will tell. But the good news is that we have more options to consider than Jay.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,412 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    150ß
    http://espn.go.com/blog/chicago/bears/post/_/id/4687342/rapid-reaction-chicago-bears-3

CHICAGO BEARS

[​IMG]

Rapid Reaction: Chicago Bears
    October, 20, 2013
    4:31 PM ET
    By Michael C. Wright | ESPN.com

ANDOVER, Md. -- A few thoughts on the Chicago Bears' 45-41 loss to the Washington Redskins on Sunday at FedExField.

What it means: A 4-3 record with an injured quarterback in Jay Cutler going into the bye isn’t ideal, but the Bears are in decent shape with a much needed week off on the horizon. The Bears need this time off to heal.

Stock watch:Josh McCown’s stock shot through the roof with his outing (119.6 passer rating), which should give the staff and his teammates confidence in him, should Cutler be forced to miss extended time.

D on field too long: Chicago’s offense put the defense in a difficult bind in the first half by missing on all four of its conversions on third down. That resulted in Washington leading in time of possession 22:01 to 7:59, which means the defense was on the field way too long. The statistics indicated as much.

In taking a 24-17 lead at the half, the Redskins converted 4-of-8 third downs and racked up 14 first downs on 42 snaps. Chicago, meanwhile, generated just two first downs and 46 net yards on 17 plays.

Record-tying Hester:Devin Hester finally produced the breakout game the team anticipated with his first touchdown this season on a return. Hester broke an 81-yard return for a TD with 5:52 left in the first half, and that score tied him with Hall of Famer Deion Sanders for most combined return TDs (19) in NFL history.

Hester reached 19 total return TDs in 114 games, while it took Sanders 188 games.

The Hester outing wasn’t unexpected. Washington gave up a touchdown on an 86-yard punt return last week, in addition to a 90-yard kickoff return that set up another Dallas Cowboys touchdown.

First miss: The seemingly automatic Robbie Gould missed his first field goal of the season with 9:30 left in the third quarter and his team down 24-17. Gould pushed the 34-yard attempt wide right.

Gould connected on a 47-yard attempt in the first quarter for his 11th-consecutive field goal without a miss this season. Gould also hit a 49-yarder in the fourth quarter.

What’s next: The Bears return to Halas Hall on Monday for a 9:30 a.m. film review before an 11:30 team meeting. After that, the Bears receive the rest of the week off for their bye. The club won’t return to practice until 7:30 a.m. on Oct. 28.

Pretty much what I said, you can put all the blame on the D, but it's misguided. The O put them in a spot that they just couldn't dig a whole out of.
  7. MrDynamite32

MrDynamite32 Rookie

Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    This looked like another "too little, too late", game as far as I'm concerned. Offense started out slow and the D got gassed. By the time it came together, the game was pretty much over. Frustrating, to say the least.
    • Like Like x 2
  8. Jimmors

Jimmors The Rhymenoceros Staff Member SuperFan

Ratings:
    +3,943 / 8 / -4
    ßearz ßuckz:
    123ß
    I dont think its misguided...if they managed to get stops early, forcing 3 and outs, even with the piss poor Jay show, the game wouldve been much different. Instead, they let the Skins walk all over them up and down the field. If it were JUST this game..then yeah, i would give them a pass, but they have been bad ALL SEASON.
    • Like Like x 2
  9. DaTreeBears

DaTreeBears Veteran

Ratings:
    +431 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    15ß
    Good news we have O that only requires a QB to be serviceable to score. Bad news D gives more than what you can score on O. ST makes 1 play destroys another. Back to the proverbial drawing board.
  10. MrDynamite32

MrDynamite32 Rookie

Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    I hope that if Cutler does have to miss some time, McCown's performance today wasn't a mirage. We all saw what happened with Hanie a couple of years ago.
  11. JPosh2012

JPosh2012 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +86 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    McCown played decent IMO. I wouldn't be nearly as fearful as I would have to go with him if needed in the future. However Jordan Palmer maybe back pretty soon IMO. I still think Trestman is a good Coach but I have to wonder if Jay is messing this up intentionally?

WE NEED to get a new S to replace Conte. Could Kerry Rhodes play FS?
  12. MrDynamite32

MrDynamite32 Rookie

Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Perhaps those concussions Jay's gotten over the years have taken their toll? I dunno, but I am concerned that Cutler could indeed be the weak link.
  13. JPosh2012

JPosh2012 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +86 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Personally I am not a doctor but you have to wonder. We all need to remember that Cutler is a pretty stubberon guy and it seems like it's his way or the highway. Lovie and Tice use to let him get away with it. Trestman and Kromer not so much. I think he could be acting like a spoiled child.
  14. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,412 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    150ß
    They did get stops early, but the longer the game went on, the more and more the Wash O took the advantage.
  15. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,412 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    150ß
    I would buy that if he wasn't this exact same guy in Denver.
    • Like Like x 1
  16. DavidL

DavidL Pro-Bowler SuperFan

Ratings:
    +591 / 4 / -16
    ßearz ßuckz:
    159ß
    Please don't give me "Coaches know this....coaches know that." One thing I know: Conte is killing us. He must be benched. I don't care who replaces him. Get somebody off waivers.
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Tarkus

Tarkus Veteran

Ratings:
    +270 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Too much 'if the O didn't stick it to the D' for me.

A ton of those plays early in each half had noting to do with being tired & worn out. They were just miserably played by guys seemingly with no idea where to be. It's a learning curve on both sides of the ball to a degree but being gutted defensively by basic plays has no 'defense'.
    • Like Like x 1
  18. MrDynamite32

MrDynamite32 Rookie

Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Blanchard's still hurt, isn't he? If Cutler does have to miss some time, I have a feeling they'll give Jordan Palmer a ring to back up McCown.
  19. DaTreeBears

DaTreeBears Veteran

Ratings:
    +431 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    15ß
    Why is everyone so infatuated with the QB when it's so obvious it doesn't matter who the QB is with this D. If the D can magically get better then we have chance.
    • Like Like x 3
  20. Tarkus

Tarkus Veteran

Ratings:
    +270 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Not sure but wouldn't be surprised if Conte's Adam Archuleta's bastard son...in likeness & play.
    • Like Like x 1