Chi v Was what we learned

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by riczaj01, Oct 20, 2013.

1. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka
    DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +4,058 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    2,315ß
    Please Register or Log in to Remove this Advertisement!
    I don't think you'll see them bench Peppers, I heard he's actually doing a lot of things that stats don't cover that are there to help the other players on D. Heard Matt Bowen talking about it, and there was an article about it on this site. At this point I think you just have to move Cohen to starting DT and get Wootton back to DE and give some of Shea's reps to someone else, CornWash or otherwise.

2. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka
    DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +4,058 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    2,315ß
    Btw, Bositc looked really good against the run, but a lot of passes over the middle, in this Cover 2, should be the MLB's responsibility, and Bostic was getting owned in that regard.

3. Strangerwithcandy11

Strangerwithcandy11 Head Coach

Ratings:
    +1,648 / 19 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    256ß
    I like to see them give the ball the Matt more myself. From what I've seen when we do try that early its not there. It looks like we have a hard time run blocking early in games. As the game wears on we're able to run better but its hard to tell if thats because we've thrown them out of box or if we're blocking better.

4. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka
    DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +4,058 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    2,315ß
    Part of running well, is just continuing to run, rarely are you going to have a RB that runs for 3-4 per carry. Most are going to struggle when the box is stacked, but eventually the RB will find a hole and break a big run, and you saw that today. But I think part of that was also b/c I don't think McCown is allowed to audible near as much as Cutler is, and the plays were getting run properly and it allowed Forte to have a big game. Forte is explosive, and like most RB's like that they need touches to get a "lather going". Limit the RB and he'll never get warmed up.

But part of the problem is that teams are willing to let Cutler beat them, and continue to stack the box. Once McCown came in and showed he'd take what the D gave him, it loosened a lot of things up.

5. BearJim

BearJim Veteran
    SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +171 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    81ß
    Quite honestly 50, I think it's accross the board. No pass rush, can't stop the run consistently, poor safety play, poor tackling, guys playing out of position, getting old & injuries. I also think they miss Urlacher's leadership. The worst part is I don't think they can fix it this year. It may take a few years to fix. Look for most every week to be a shoot out.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Strangerwithcandy11

Strangerwithcandy11 Head Coach

Ratings:
    +1,648 / 19 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    256ß

I agree with sticking to the run but there in lies a problem. If we run early and it doesn't work (it hasn't been) you're looking at putting the defense on the field. Its a double edged sword and a team game. We're not able to play as a team right now cause one side is being expected to do more than they are capable. The defense can't stop every drive and the offense can't score a TD on every drive. Hopefully it will get better but the injury bug has killed up thus far.

• Like Like x 1
  7. DavidL

DavidL Pro-Bowler
    SuperFan

Ratings:
    +775 / 7 / -26
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,341ß
    Last year the Bears gave up only 17.3 ppg -- nearly best in NFL. This year, we are near the worst. What the hell happened? Other teams have injuries, so that doesn't explain everything. Besides,asyou say, they weren't doing well even before all the injuries. We may be under-estimating the coaching element. Last year we hand two great defensive minds -- one off the field (Marineli) and one on the field (Urlacher). And this year? I'm starting to wonder.:(

Last edited: Oct 20, 2013
  8. JPosh2012

JPosh2012 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +86 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    I would be fine with power football especially with getting Bush involved. They should try a play I suggested a while back line up Forte at WR and Bush at RB or better yet BOTH at RB. Make the defense try to figure out whose going to get it.

9. JPosh2012

JPosh2012 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +86 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    I would agree with you on that but I would like to say that they need to be doing it in ALL four quarters no matter what the score is. The O didn't pull their weight today that is obvious.

10. Jimmors

Jimmors The Rhymenoceros
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +4,989 / 9 / -6
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,476ß
    Urlacher's leadership, Lack of Pass rush. Especially the Lack of Pass rush. That, more than anything is killing our Defense.