Chi v Was what we learned

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by riczaj01, Oct 20, 2013.

1. DavidL

DavidL
    Expand Collapse
    Pro-Bowler
    SuperFan

ßearz ßuckz:
    1,923ß
    Please Register or Log in to Remove this Advertisement!
    So, did substituting McClellin for Izzy totally screw up the chemistry of the front-4? That is the only personnel change other than Peppers getting a year older and falling off the radar.

2. riczaj01

riczaj01
    Expand Collapse
    DaBears Ditka
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    4,163ß
    The Loss of Melton and Collins also hurt; b/c it meant Shea was starting and Wootton was brought into the inside where he has no business being.

When Pep was unable to get pressure they started using him in ways to make open up the rest of the DL, but that isn't working either. So then they had to goto blitzing LB's, which opens up the middle, which means the DB's are now exposed, and they have not responded yet.

I don't buy the BU thing, ya his leadership is lost, but his play was far worse then anything we've seen from DJ or Bositc last year. Right now it's all on the lack of passrush.

3. Grizzblue

Grizzblue
    Expand Collapse
    Pro-Bowler

ßearz ßuckz:
    513ß
    After losing Jay, the offense played pretty heroically IMO and kept us in the game. The defense is just plain bad. Old and Bad. The front four is horrific as are the safeties. Time to blow this unit up IMO. This offseason I think its a foregone conclusion that Pep will be gone as will quite a few others if an option presents itself. Unless we transition to a 3-4 Shea is useless and we should just see what we can get back for the wasted first round pick. Said it the day he was drafted and I stick to it now; Shea is a 3-4 player only he is a 50/70 Jack linebacker and has no place as a down 5/7. Never has, never will so in our 4-3 system he will continue to be worthless.

• Like Like x 1
  4. DavidL

DavidL
    Expand Collapse
    Pro-Bowler
    SuperFan

ßearz ßuckz:
    1,923ß
    Jimmors is right that our problems have been there all year. The injuries just made it all progressively worse for reasons you say. The thing with Urlacher is that he did lose a step, but his signal calling was invaluable in disguising the defenses and getting all 11 guys playing as a cohesive unit. This season they look disorganized. I don't know how much of that to credit to Marineli> Tucker or loss of Urlacher. Probably both.

5. Rogelio

Rogelio
    Expand Collapse
    Veteran

ßearz ßuckz:
    195ß
    Look, we can say that Jay is an imbecile until the 4th quarter, when he becomes a genius. We can say that the other teams are building such gigantic leads that they play prevent the entire 4th quarter, but the only game that was remotely close to that was the Detroit game. I think that the play-calling has been HORRIBLE in the early part of games. Every game thus far has had bad play-calling at the start. The entire sequence after the first INT in the Giants game, including going for it on 4th, was mind-bogglingly dumb.

Unless we hear that Jay is audibling out of Trestman's calls early, I have to think that the play-calling has a huge deal to do with our struggling. I don't buy that Jay suddenly figures things out in the 4th quarter. I think the problem is either 1) Trestman is bad at his "first 25" plays which he plans out before games; or 2) Trestman is just awful at watching gametape and understanding what defenses will throw at them, so he does terribly at the start of the game, but he is able to make adjustments at halftime. Look, the biggest difference to me was that we made no effort to establish the run in the first half, while we pounded the ball early in the third quarter. I doubt Trestman was calling runs and Jay said "fuck it, I'm throwing."

I think Trestman is a good offensive mind. I trust him and hope that in time he will improve his play-calling. But if Jay is such a huge problem early, while being great late, it is his responsibility to figure out what is causing that issue and remedy it.

6. PhilM

PhilM
    Expand Collapse
    Rookie

ßearz ßuckz:
    What I learned is that McCown looked very comfortable in that offense once he got going. Cutler still seems like he's overthinking things and being too tentative.

I've also learned that the "Cover 2" has long overstayed its welcome. Other teams know how to exploit the Cover 2. This is a Lovie carryover and really needs to end. It doesn't matter if the players still want it or some of the coaches still want it. It's a tired old song and is especially ineffective with our lackluster DL.

Since our defensive personnel situation isn't going to improve anytime soon, changing our scheme seems like the logical thing to do. Although that seems really unlikely at this point in the season.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Jimmors

Jimmors
    Expand Collapse
    The Rhymenoceros
    Staff Member

ßearz ßuckz:
    3,220ß
    yeah, Urlacher lost a step, so his athleticism was not as good as it used to be (sideline to sideline). Still, he brought years of experience and leadership to the table, and Briggs is a piss poor substitute for a Defensive general leading the troops. Im just going to guess that our Defense is going to be in rebuild mode, and hopefully Briggs can be the team leader until 2015 (when his contract is up), and *hopefully* by then Bostic will become the new leader with 2 solid seasons under his belt.

As far as the pass rush goes...i think losing Izzy was HUGE. To start the season, that was basically the only missing piece that wasnt here this year...melton, paea, peppers, shea were all still here, and yet the DL has failed to get pass rush even in the first few games. Losing Izzy, and Peppers not playing to par is probably why our DL is faulty, and losing Melton definitely didnt help matters any.

8. Henry Burris

Henry Burris
    Expand Collapse
    Head Coach

ßearz ßuckz:
    953ß
    Nice straw man argument. "Cutler defenders" are completely oblivious to the point being made that this offense is insufficient, in and of itself.

9. tey216

tey216
    Expand Collapse
    Rookie

ßearz ßuckz:
    I think as far as the offense not getting going to late in games... I think its a combination of conservative play calling and Jay Cutler trying not to do too much... Maybe it has something to do with him being in a contract year... I don't know... But its a team that seems scared to let it all go with those weapons until they absolutely have too late in games... The offense has the weapons to do that all game. Maybe Trestman doesn't trust Cutler not to turn the ball over until he has no choice... I think the offensive weapons and the offensive scheme can put up large amount of points... I hate to say it but it is possible that Cutler for one reason or the other "MAY" be holding the offense back... Or Trestmans lack of trust in him... McCown ran the offense the way you thought it would run... But we'll see what happens next game...

• Like Like x 1
  10. Henry Burris

Henry Burris
    Expand Collapse
    Head Coach

ßearz ßuckz:
    953ß
    Jay Cutler may be guilty of a lot of things, but changing the play to a more conservative one is not one of them.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1