Chi v Was what we learned

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by riczaj01, Oct 20, 2013.

1. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,429 / 8 / -10
    ßearz ßuckz:
    351ß
    No. There are no excuses for the defense. I see your side, but this offense has played EXACTLY THE SAME in all 3 of our losses, and in 3 of our wins. Jay's a 4th quarter QB, because he can't get his **** together earlier. This defense is trash, but this offense is doing them ZERO favors. The only excuses I'm seeing are for a player that "just needed an offensive line and WR's". Well, we're all in agreement that he's finally got them, but yet, he can't manage to get the offense going in the first half.
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,429 / 8 / -10
    ßearz ßuckz:
    351ß
    Yes, but the offense wasn't blazing 80+ yards for a touchdown either, were they?
  3. Jimmors

Jimmors The Rhymenoceros Staff Member SuperFan

Ratings:
    +4,310 / 8 / -6
    ßearz ßuckz:
    590ß
    Im not saying the offense is perfect, but at least they are improving, the arrow is pointing up, not down.
  4. Strangerwithcandy11

Strangerwithcandy11 Head Coach

Ratings:
    +1,551 / 15 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    121ß

No, they were not BUT yards isn't the measure. Points is. How many 80+ yard drives have the defense givin up this year? How man did they give up this game? That also plays into them being tired. How are we on third and long? We're giving up 3 and 8s a lot this year. The offense wasn't great or really good but they put up 41 points and lost. That tells me something
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,429 / 8 / -10
    ßearz ßuckz:
    351ß
    Agree completely, and I think this coaching staff WILL eventually iron out the problems, BUT, the main problem with this offense is the inability to score early on.
  6. tey216

tey216 Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    I have seen some bad Chicago Bear teams in my day... 3 win seasons, 4 win seasons... But even with Wandsted, Juaron, Lovie, etc... I've never seen a Bears team give up this many points and yards week in and week out... They are giving up huge points and yards to bad teams... Vikings, Steelers, Giants, Redskins... Teams with horrible records... I know there are injuries but I think its time to scrap the Cover 2 defense... Its basically a prevent defense hoping that the opposing O makes a mistake that causes a turn over. There is no scheme to that... That's High School defense... The Saint TE carved us up... but NE kept him in check...Why you say? Actual scheme on the Defense to take him out of the game... Not just drop every five, ten yards back and play for picks... And what do you know... Get tourched by a TE again on this game. Safteys are always back too deep which allows gashing runs... Then safteys are not even playing the way they are supposed to being back there.... Mike Brown call up Conte and coach him up... Nice job on O but hey doesn't matter when your team is giving up so many points and getting worse every week... I dread that MNF against Aaron Rodgers will be a shoot out again... OK... I'm done ranting... Carry on gentlemen.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,429 / 8 / -10
    ßearz ßuckz:
    351ß
    I'm not talking about yards, as in "look at how bad our stats are", I'm mentioning them, because this offense can't manage going down the field, like any other offense we face.
  8. Strangerwithcandy11

Strangerwithcandy11 Head Coach

Ratings:
    +1,551 / 15 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    121ß

This offense isn't facing our defense every game lol. Any way you cut it we need to get better on both sides of the ball. I'm of the opinion that 41 points should net you a win every week in the NFL. Thats provided your defense can just make some stops. Hell, make ONE when you have the lead with a couple mins to go and all else is forgivin.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,429 / 8 / -10
    ßearz ßuckz:
    351ß
    Absolutely agree. It seems like we're arguing where there isn't any disagreement. You and Jimmors, for example, are saying "How bad is our defense, that we can't get off the field, or make a turnover", where Ric and I are saying "Where the hell is the offense earlier in games?" In the end, it doesn't matter when or where the scoring is happening, as this defense is just bad. Our defense is unarguably our achilles heel, but our offense isn't helping us early.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. 50YearFrustration

50YearFrustration Rookie

Ratings:
    +21 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    26ß
    I will concede that the offense looked much better after Cutler was hurt, but I will attribute it more to the rest of the team stepping up their games, including McCown. Frankly, the Bears offense didn't give Cutler much of anything to work with in the early going,..receivers dropping passes, lousy blocking & missed assignments. On the flip side, I enjoyed the support they gave the next man up, in McCown. It was too bad the defense was so damn awful! I have hope the Bears can win some games with McCown if Cutler is out for a while, perhaps even sneak into a wild card. Anything more, with that lousy defense (injuries noted, but it wasn't great to begin with,...) is asking a lot, in my opinion.
    • Like Like x 3
  11. Jimmors

Ratings:
    +4,310 / 8 / -6
    ßearz ßuckz:
    590ß
    Maybe because the lack of offense early is not that big of an issue compared to the defense.
  12. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,429 / 8 / -10
    ßearz ßuckz:
    351ß
    Comparatively, yes. When your quarterback scores most of his touchdowns in the 4th quarter, it is a problem.
  13. Jimmors

Ratings:
    +4,310 / 8 / -6
    ßearz ßuckz:
    590ß
    How is it a problem? Games are won when the clock strikes 00:00, not in the first quarter.
  14. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,429 / 8 / -10
    ßearz ßuckz:
    351ß
    Yes, but points should be scored early and often, if your defense is trash, right? Look at the Saints and Lions games, how close they were for most of the first half, before the other team pulled away. Our "comeback" against the Saints was when they were in "prevent D".
    • Like Like x 1
  15. DavidL

DavidL Pro-Bowler SuperFan

Ratings:
    +651 / 5 / -22
    ßearz ßuckz:
    654ß
    Precisely. Bears now averaging 30.4 points per game (second in NFL only to Peyton Manning machine). The only problem with team is defense.
  16. MrDynamite32

MrDynamite32 Rookie

Ratings:
    +43 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    12ß
    1st half issues aside, the offense is coming together. The defense, on the other hand, is falling apart. We don't have the players to run a Cover 2 now, so Tucker has to figure out something quick 'cause they're getting scorched week in and week out.
  17. Jimmors

Ratings:
    +4,310 / 8 / -6
    ßearz ßuckz:
    590ß
    That still doesnt explain how scoring late in the game is a "problem."
  18. BearJim

BearJim Veteran SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +146 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    15ß
    Excellent 1st post 50.

I also thought the play calling in the 2nd half was much better.

If the defense wants to stay fresh get off the field on 3rd down! That's your freaking job! Our defense was just as bad, if not worse, in the 1st half as it was in the 2nd. The bottom line is our defense has stunk all year & partly due to injuries, it's getting worse every week. Until it gets better it really doesn't matter who plays QB. This is the worst defense we've had in MANY years.
  19. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,429 / 8 / -10
    ßearz ßuckz:
    351ß
    Yes it does. Against the Saints, a hail mary, and a "prevent D" are what padded AJ and Cutler's stats. You're missing the half of the equation, because the Bears offense clearly isn't working in the first half of games, thus the reason why our team doesn't have a chance, unless the defense has played "okay" in many of our games.

Remember the Vikings game? The one that had several turnovers early, that allowed the Vikings back in it? The offense shouldn't have had to rely on a last minute drive to win that game. Cutler did his best to lose that one early for us, before finally getting his bearings in the second half.
  20. Jimmors

Ratings:
    +4,310 / 8 / -6
    ßearz ßuckz:
    590ß
    And yet you are claiming that getting those bearings and scoring in the second half is a "problem."

I dont care what kind of D the other team is throwing at you, if you score, you score. And its important to be able to score late in the game, or else what is the point?