Chi v Was what we learned

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by riczaj01, Oct 20, 2013.

1. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,487 / 8 / -10
    ßearz ßuckz:
    431ß
    It IS a problem, because he plays like **** for the first half, guaranteed. You're really missing the point, if you think that how poorly this offense performs in the first half (I'll give you a hint, it's part of the problem with such lopsided TOP in the game), and tries to make it up in the second half. ESPECIALLY in the Saints game, this was evident. The saints effectively "gave up" a lot of plays to them, allowing them to score, but in a "prevent D", which is designed to stop the big play, so that the offense has to burn a lot of time with the smaller plays, losing a chance of actually coming back.
    • Like Like x 1
  2. DaTreeBears

DaTreeBears Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +677 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    373ß
    Are you serious? I think the accident outside my house was caused by Jay. Global warming got be because of Jay.
    Is Jay also playing defense to because that mantra is getting old fast. What you are saying now sounds exactly like when Lovie would spue "we get off the bus running. "
  3. DaTreeBears

DaTreeBears Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +677 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    373ß
    You sir are spot on Cutty haters are not going to like this one bit.
  4. Jimmors

Jimmors The Rhymenoceros Staff Member SuperFan

Ratings:
    +4,499 / 8 / -6
    ßearz ßuckz:
    809ß
    Again...you are trying to make a correlation that doesn exist.

"He plays like crap the first half." debatable, but fine. that still does not explain why scoring in the second half is a PROBLEM. The two things are unrelated. If he played well in the first half and STILL score more in the second, would that still be a "problem?" Of course not. your issue is with first half play, so stop trying to claim that stepping up and playing better the second half is somehow a "problem" simply based on first half play. (of course now im going to have to dig deeper and bust out some stats on this issue, so...fair warning.)
    • Like Like x 1
  5. MrDynamite32

MrDynamite32 Veteran

Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    73ß
    IMO, it's not that the offense's 2nd half performance is a problem, it's just that it comes too little, too late to make much of a difference in the game.
  6. Strangerwithcandy11

Strangerwithcandy11 Head Coach

Ratings:
    +1,581 / 16 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    163ß

Yeah having a lead with a couple mins left in the game is to little to late.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Tarkus

Tarkus Veteran

Ratings:
    +270 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    4th quarter comeback points aren't a problem but if you get them from what a defense is giving, scheme-wise, you're being led by the nose which indicates there's problems elsewhere...
    • Like Like x 1
  8. yttocs

yttocs Pro-Bowler SuperFan

Ratings:
    +48 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    22ß
    How about first quarter adjustments instead of halftime?
  9. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,487 / 8 / -10
    ßearz ßuckz:
    431ß
    Yes, they are related. It takes him time to learn how to read each defense, each game. It's at the 4th quarter, that he's "getting it". Basically, Jay Cutler is mentally a bit slow, for reading defenses.

Also, I don't understand how you think that the defense being on the field for the majority of the time isn't blamable on the offense, in the slightest. Your impression is that I think this is primarily the offense's fault, which it isn't, it's that Cutler does nothing to help in the first half, and the defense DOES get gassed early, because of it.
  10. DaTreeBears

DaTreeBears Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +677 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    373ß
    Bears have the win in their pocket in 4th quarter all the D has to do is hold on one of the upcoming 3 down sets. Can't do it Jays fault. This D has great alibi for their inefficiencies.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. 50YearFrustration

50YearFrustration Rookie

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    30ß
    Thanks, Jim. Teams have injuries. It's going to happen. That said, I'm not sure where the biggest issue on the defense lies. I suppose the safety play is the worst. Wright & Conte couldn't cover an ant with a horse blanket right now. In the bigger picture, the overall team tackling is deplorable.

It is sad, because I do see talent over there. Briggs is playing is his butt off and I think the corners are mostly playing all right. It's seems the other backers and the line are really hit & miss. Wooton is playing out of position, of course, but the line as a whole is very undisciplined, in my opinion. As a DE, how many times do you have to see the read option to not get sucked in (McClellin, cough)?! Peppers was more like himself today, but still not the marquee guy you expect. Maybe age is catching up a bit. Anderson is a better cover linebacker than a stand and stack true SAM backer. Bostic is well, a rookie, and Costanzo is a special teamer, period. In all, the Bears defense seems small and over-matched when teams decide to just line up and pound on them,...ah hell, I thought Lovie Smith was gone,...but his legacy lives on,....
  12. tbear1

tbear1 Veteran

Ratings:
    +172 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    89ß
    I count 2 bad games including this one. 50 yards is Bad Jay. I am not a McCowan convert, but he moved the ball today.
  13. Strangerwithcandy11

Ratings:
    +1,581 / 16 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    163ß
    We're learning a new offense again with a completely rebuilt o line. I expected slow starts. I expect to get better as the game wears on. I expect/hope that by the end of the game we're in a position to win. We've done that in pretty much every game. Our offense hasn't always worked to perfection which is to be expected.

What I didn't expect was having to win a shoot out every week. Look at he scoring we're getting from this offense. I don't care what quarter or half its coming in. We're one of the top scoring offenses in the league. If I would have told you that going into this season would you have been happy with that type of offense? This offense is now being judged by how many points it scores or doesn't score early? If at the end of the game you have 41 points you should win. With the defense we were suppose to have this offense is plenty good enough to get he job done.
    • Like Like x 1
  14. tbear1

tbear1 Veteran

Ratings:
    +172 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    89ß
    Because we need a QB to put points on the board and move the ball. The defense can't be on the field the whole time.
  15. Jimmors

Jimmors The Rhymenoceros Staff Member SuperFan

Ratings:
    +4,499 / 8 / -6
    ßearz ßuckz:
    809ß
    It takes time for ANY Qb to read the defense each week, thats why they gameplan. You aint exactly making a compelling argument when it applies to ANY Qb in ANY game.

Simple...they fail to get 3 and outs. Its a pattern i have seen repeated over, and over, and over this season. It *used* to be that 3rd down was a scary propostition for opposing defenses...now...they just treat it like an additional 2nd down, doesnt matter if its 3rd and short, or 3rd and long, they typically convert the 1st to keep their drive alive, and hence, our defense on the field. Up until this game, our TOP has been pretty balanced (read: our offense has had decent drives), so yes...the blame mostly falls on the offense.
  16. kevperro

kevperro Veteran

Ratings:
    +75 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    73ß
    We learned:

#1. Cutler is going to be getting a low-ball offer from Emery at the end of this season.

#2. Peppers will be a great way to clear cap space for next year.

#3. We have a LONG list of needs in the draft and Free Agency. All those one-year deals are looking like a smart move (Melton, DJ Williams).

#4. Our Offensive Line is a work in progress but still a HUGE upgrade from last year.

#5. Jeffery is a legit #1 WR in this league. He was a great draft move.

#6. Our aging defense is a hollow shell of it's former self. Injuries, poor technique, and just plain poor play has resulting in one of the worst Chicago defenses in recent memory.
    • Like Like x 3
  17. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,083 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,152ß
    The other team is playing w/a large enough lead to allow the Bears to allow the bears to move, and sometimes score, as long as they are eating up the clock, knowing full well and good that they can march back on the Bears D and score.

The Bears O has to get more going early to keep the other O off the field early. This keeps the games closer and the Bears D fresher.

Kevperro: Great points 1-6. I agree w/all of them; other then I think the Bears will flat FT Cutler if he doesn't take their offer.
  18. Strangerwithcandy11

Ratings:
    +1,581 / 16 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    163ß

Put points on the board? We're a top scoring offense this year.

There are times when the defense is on the field because of three and outs. There are also A LOT of times the defense is on the field because their giving up 80 yard 10 play drives. I understand that we took some serious hits on defense but you can't keep giving them a pass. They are killing themselves as much if not more than the offense. We score 41 points and lose and its blamed on the offense? I don't know about that one.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. DaTreeBears

DaTreeBears Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +677 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    373ß
    D was on the field whole time because of their own incompetence. They can't stop no one on 3rd down this season they are toast. They make every running back look like Barry Sanders the rookie had his 1st multi-TD game because he so fantastic or because Jay's the QB or maybe the D just sucks. No it's easier for Bear fans to say Jay sucks because it's only 1 man not attire side of football. Put any QB you want in oh yeah McCown played fantastic and still lost. Ask Marino this what he played with his entire career in Miami. Marino must have been the problem never knew that till now.
    • Like Like x 1
  20. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,083 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,152ß
    I kinda did, I kept telling people in the offseason that the Bears DB's sucked outside of Tillman/Jennings and that Tillman was getting old. I wasn't worried about the LB play(and so far that was correct). And if I was told that both Melton and Collins would get injured, resulting in Wootton playing inside and Shea starting outside I would have told you the DL was going to be in bad shape also. Shea on the field to much is never a good thing. Now add to that Peppers being a year to old(I didn't see that) and you have the makings of a disaster on your hands. You have 1 good core(lb's) and 2 good players in the 2ndry(Tillman/Jennings). But that's not enough when the DL cannot generate pressure, and w/out Melton there and w/Shea in so much, and w/a too old Peppers there just isn't any pressure...and now you have shootouts.