Chi v Was what we learned

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by riczaj01, Oct 20, 2013.

1. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,398 / 8 / -10
    ßearz ßuckz:
    309ß

Stop. Just stop. I'm not arguing with you. You can't even begin your half of the argument without destroying the legitimacy of what you're trying to say. So, let's leave it at, we'll agree to disagree.
  2. DavidL

DavidL Pro-Bowler SuperFan

Ratings:
    +632 / 5 / -22
    ßearz ßuckz:
    500ß
    I agree on all points. Izzy is a LOT more physical than McClellin. He and Melton got attention, which helped Peppers get more space. That synergy just isn't there anymore. If the Bears had kept Urlacher and Izzy, we wouldn't be last in NFL in defense. I'm sure of that. Time to rebuild. Top priority is a blue-chip DE and a safety to replace Conte.
  3. DaTreeBears

DaTreeBears Veteran

Ratings:
    +531 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    143ß
    Haven't you heard it's not a D problem at all we just have to fix the O's 1st quarter and all the problems are fixed. :rolleyes:
  4. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,656 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    560ß
    who said it wasn't a D problem DaTree? Not one person you can point to said it wasn't a D problem. it's like you cannot take the next step out of "it's a D problem" So let me help you out of that stasis you seem to be in.

Next step, what needs to be done to to fix, and if not fix, protect the D and allow the Bears to continue to win games:

Here are your options:

1) Get a pass rush: This means either pulling out some of ol' Mike Tice's Pixie dust and hoping something materializes, or blitzing w/your LB's and CB's, which in turn exposes your Safeties. IMO This is not a good option, it's actually what has led to what you are seeing on the field, the only way to fix the pass rush is in the offseason when they can go into FA and draft and get better talent.

2) Get better talent, ya that's not happening in the middle of the year, DT's are not found on the street, hell really neither are Safeties, unless you can figure out how to get a passrush w/a to old Peppers, a not good enough Shea, Wootton playing out of position and guys off the street, then it's not an option. Our Safeties suck, they sucked last year and needed to be upgraded but they were ignored to fix the OL and LB's, one could say those were bigger issues, so fine, but now you're seeing how that also hurt the team. Even if you could get a trade, you're not getting multiple trades and that's whats needed to fix the issue; even if you could, the cap space is going to prevent that.

3) Procect/hide the D from opposing O. There is only one way to do that, and that's to have the Offense stay on the field, to have the O not go punt, punt, int, fg(b/c of a D stop and short field), TD(b/c of a D TO and short field) punt punt punt, in which all drives take less then 2 min's.

Those are you're solutions, pick one, feel free to take a step out of the D problem stasis that you and so many are stuck on.
    • Like Like x 2
  5. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,656 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    560ß
    Izzy is so good, and so stout he's played in a whopping 4 games, and hasn't started one. No, much like BU he was to old and shouldn't have been resigned. Problem is you are seeing that Peppers and Tillman are also to old. All Izzy would have done is exasperated the issue and people would be calling for Shea to start and see if he had "developed".

Next year Tillman and Peppers need to go, Bush needs to go(if he's not going to get used he's to expensive), Melton needs to be resigned(hopefully to a lower contract b/c of the inj), Jennings need resigned. Anderson needs resigned, if you can get DJ on another 1 cheap deal, resign him to have a starter and backup(Bostic/DJ whoever wins out). They need to draft or bring in 2 FA safeties and 2 CB's, and at least 1 DT and 2 DE's.
  6. DavidL

Ratings:
    +632 / 5 / -22
    ßearz ßuckz:
    500ß
    The house is on fire and they are focused on a small crack in the concrete foundation. This is the best Bears QB and best Bears offense in 50+ years. I've seen them all.
  7. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,656 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    560ß
    No David, it's not a small crack in a concrete foundation, it's looking at trying to put out the fire instead of bitching about the house being on fire.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,398 / 8 / -10
    ßearz ßuckz:
    309ß
    C'mon, I know you're smarter than this. You know what you're doing is a straw man fallacy, just like DaTreeBears, so just stop with that. No one is saying what you're implying, and some of what your implying is loaded.
  9. DaTreeBears

DaTreeBears Veteran

Ratings:
    +531 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    143ß
    I hear you just the kids around here never have seen what a truly horrendous bad Bears offense really looks like and believe us it's not pretty.
  10. DavidL

Ratings:
    +632 / 5 / -22
    ßearz ßuckz:
    500ß
    Put it this way, the Bears offense is averaging 30.4 ppg, probably best in franchise history. This offense would win Superbowls with the defenses we had in the Lovie-Urlacher era. Sure, you can always nit-pick around the edges (small crack in foundation),but, as a long-time Bears fan, I am THRILLED with this Bears offense. The Redskins were ripping through our defense before our offense ever stepped on the field for the first time in the first quarter. Is that Cutler's fault,:rolleyes:
  11. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,656 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    560ß
    Awww DaTree, glad you're back on, feel free to choose a solution.

Bears analyst on 670 just said what I did, Your O cannot put THIS DEF on the field constantly in the 1st half b/c it's going to get burned, and then will be burnt out in the 2nd half.

again choose your solution, David you too, feel free pick your poison, find a solution to the problem.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,058 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    322ß
    I agree Ric. Some of our problems are more complex that folks want to believe. That's why we're fans and not NFL coaches :D
  13. DavidL

Ratings:
    +632 / 5 / -22
    ßearz ßuckz:
    500ß
    Here is my solution. Activate CornWash and all the other rookies on that inactives list. Put them all into the rotation. If we are going to play crap defense, let's at least have our starters with fresh legs when we need to stop the opponent on their last game-winning drive in the 4Q. Might have won the game yesterday.
  14. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,656 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    560ß
    David, okay but there is a good reason those guys are inactive, and it's not likely to improve the D. Also, who do you deactivate? Weems? I'm down w/that, who else? More then likely you'll deact either Shea and or Pep, which means you're not keeping the D fresh.

So when that doesn't solve the problem, then what? Again the reality is the D is a big problem this year, much like the O was a big problem the last few years. So what is the best way the TEAM can solve that problem?

It's the opposite way the Bears did it in the past, instead of protecting the O by trying to simplify and limit them, and let the D/ST's win, you know have to ask the O to keep the D off the field and rely on your O and ST's.
  15. Rogelio

Rogelio Veteran

Ratings:
    +80 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Well, if they want to keep the defense off the field, they should maybe trying running the ball in the first half. Oh, right. Cutler supposedly audibled out of runs to show off his arm by choosing WR screens.
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Rogelio

Rogelio Veteran

Ratings:
    +80 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    ^ I was being sarcastic. Both about Jay being responsible for us not running, and for him personally choosing the crappy, easily-defensible short passes we've trotted out early in games.
  17. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,656 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    560ß
    sarcastic or not, it was funny and true.
  18. ZifanQ

ZifanQ Pro-Bowler SuperFan

Ratings:
    +138 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    22ß
    1. Jeffery is getting better and better, I really hope we can keep Marshall and Jeffery on the team as long as they play football!

2. Hester still has it when the blocks are there..

3. Gould can miss. Anyone know how many kicks he has to make in order to make the record?

4. 45 points given up, by the Chicago Bears? Not something I saw coming.

5. Mel Trucker is history when the off season hits, atleast he should be!

6. McCown did a fine job and I wonder if this was a one time show, or if he can keep playing like he did.

7. We have too few draft picks in next years draft.

8. Bears offense can score, but they have yet to play 4 quarters of good football.

If I had any Bears bucks I'd bet them all on Bears getting a starter injuried in the bye-week..

Why can't this team have a fully succesful season? Besides the 85'.
    • Like Like x 1
  19. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,656 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    560ß
    1) I agree, but if the team does move on from Cutler, you can say goodbye to Marshal.
    2) Yep
    3) I'm okay w/him missing, but not 30yard chip shots; that really changed how the game was played.
    4) I kinda did, Team is to old, to inj'd and not deep enough b/c of poor drafts to recover.
    5) If someone can tell me what Tucker is supposed to do w/a to inj'd, to old, not talented enough front 4, and not good enough safeties, then I'll agree especially when the D players asked him to not run his system, but to keep Lovie's. I think he gets 1 more year w/better talent and his own scheme before he gets judged.
    6) His career average is 50% completion and a near .500 TD to TO ratio, he played well over his head, and I don't think you'll see this over the next 3-4 weeks. If he does then more power to him, but it's not in his past, so no reason to believe it's in his future.
    7) Yep
    8) Yep, and that first and 2nd qtr is not helping the D at all, by the time they warm up the D is already beat down.

The D needs a complete overhaul, but until that happens the O needs to be more capable of long time consuming drives to hide/help the D.
  20. DavidL

Ratings:
    +632 / 5 / -22
    ßearz ßuckz:
    500ß
    Christian Tupou DT Inactive
    Cornelius Washington DE Inactive
    C.J. Wilson CB Inactive

Activate and play these guys and any other able-bodied defender. Inactivate 3rd team offensive players.

Play power football on offense. Use Forte and Bush more. Long drives. Ball control offense.

I want to see how much worse the defensive back-ups play compared to the starters who are -- all by themselves --giving up nearly 30 points per game! Keep a mix of starters and back-ups on the field until the 4Q, and then stick with whoever is playing best (i.e., throw the depth chart into the trash can). These games come down to end of 4Q anyway, so let's have our players fresh to stop the final drive with the game on the line.
    • Like Like x 1