Chi vs Atl what we learned

Discussion in 'Front Page News' started by riczaj01, Oct 12, 2014.

1. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,268 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,429ß
    Wow that was a pleasant surprise, with the top 4 lb's out along w/Tillman being one would have thought the 2nd best NFL O in the league would be able to carve up the Bears D, that didn't happen. The Bears O had the closest thing to a complete game as they've had all season also.

Bears O: Cutler finally had a complete game, no int's a td, and more importantly no really poor passes. Forte had another 150+ total yards, 80 rushing 77 receiving, more importantly he did it running inside and outside. DaOD, Jeffery and Marshal all had good games. I think the biggest thing today was the spreading of the field, not everything was short passes which would allow the D to compress down, and it didn't. This is the O I would have expected to see against Car and Buff, and if this O had shown up this team would be 5-1 right now. Now this is a bad D, and I would have liked to see a little more scoring, but baby steps and there is a lot of fooball left.

Bears D: I think this might have been the first time all year where the LB's were at the top of the charts in tackling, Sharpton, Greene and Jones, only Fuller stopped it from being a clean sweep. Is it possible this D system just needed some infusion of speed and youth at the lb core? Sharpton even had a QB hit and a deflected pass. This PS I kept saying Greene looked like the best LB, and he finally got his shot to prove it, and he did. He looked good today. That being said, the DL finally looked like we expected it to look like, then again it had all it's starters for the first time just about all year, Allen, Ratliff, Houston, Paea, Young all looked really good, and near impossible to stop. The DB's even looked good today. This was a hell of a match up w/those WR's and they were held to 1 TD, and it was a swing pass to a RB. This Atl O was 2nd highest passing and 3rd highest scoring and they were shut the hell down by this D playing over it's head.

Bears ST: is still a mess, a blocked XP? Any KR that brings it out of the endzone they should be cut as soon as they hit the sideline.

Bears coaches: Trestman and Tucker and Kromer flat out coached and out planned Atl. Tucker brought the heat w/blitzes, and when he didn't on passing down the Bears DL normally got there. Trestman finally stretched the field and it opened lanes and the short game.

Atl O: Tionononono should not be a target for them, that Smith kid is legit though, he's fast as hell. Their WR's were flat outplayed by the Bears WR's though. Their OL is brutal, and it showed up in how often Ryan was hit/sacked and how futile their run game was. They struggled in all phases, including converting 3rd downs. Right now I'm betting their fans are as frustrated in their O as Bears fans have been in theirs for the past few weeks.

Atl D: They have were able to get to Cutler a few times but their DB's just couldn't consistently cover the height of the Bears. They couldn't stop a run at all though and it made their job that much harder when trying to get a stop.

Atl ST's: Hester was held in check, and it's nothing special to hold the Bears ST's in check, so nothing special here. FG kicker has a leg on him though.

Atl coaches: This group gets a huge fail, they had no answer for the Bears at all and unlike other teams were not able to make any 1/2 time adjustments to shut down the Bears O or wear down the Bears D.
    • Like Like x 2
  2. MrDynamite32

MrDynamite32 Veteran

Ratings:
    +126 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    132ß
    What we learned:

-Offense had a slow start, but they managed to get it going for the rest of the game.
    -Cutler CAN be smart with the ball when he wants to.
    -Defense was on fire today. It looked like a switch went off once Briggs and Williams went out.
    -Trestman CAN make a game plan for an entire game rather than a quarter of one.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,268 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,429ß
    I'll take THAT slow start over the normal 2qtrs of a slow start, or worse a slow finish anyday.

Yes he can, Doug and OB pointed out that on the Forte inside TD run Cutler got out of a pass and handed off to Forte instead. He was very smart w/the ball all day, I never really saw a pass where I was like, here we go again, wth is he doing?

The D looked amazing, imo that's b/c the LB's finally made plays like Tuckers D requires.

Yep, and it looked like he was able to adjust to the Atl 1/2 adjustments.
  4. Chicago_66

Chicago_66 Veteran

Ratings:
    +399 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    94ß
    1. Those linebackers were flying to the ball. I havent seen anything from Briggs, McC, or DJ that would warrant putting them in over these three. Bostic could be argued but i dont even know who i would want to take out. I know it could be the fact the DL was getting such pressure but i was thoroughly impressed with all the LBs today. Hope this D continues to improve. We may have ourselves a season if we play more ball like that. Hurst making that play had to feel good.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,268 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,429ß
    100% agreed on this, ya it was just 1 game, but this was one of the best O's we've faced all year, only next to GB and these guys flat performed.
  6. BearJim

BearJim Veteran SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +157 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    45ß
    We learned Cutler doesn't have to throw 4 TD passes for us to win.
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2014
    • Like Like x 1