Chi vs NO's what we learned

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by riczaj01, Oct 6, 2013.

1. tbear1

tbear1

Ratings:
    +103 / 0 / -0
    Jay can put up some pretty good numbers but still not look like a winner. The guy fails to impress even when he has an acceptable game. Trestman was very supportive of him during the post-game interviews. I just have a hard time digesting the fact we are on the road to sign this guy up for big money at the end of the season.
  2. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston

Ratings:
    +774 / 2 / -0
    I wonder what will really happen at the end of the season. If only Phil would step up and say that we are going to accept him with open arms, we would know that he is gonna be toast.
  3. little bear

little bear

Ratings:
    +358 / 0 / -0
    I know what you mean Benji, but we did manage to win against Cinci. And they just beat New England today. ^^
  4. The Benjamin

The Benjamin Bear Down Staff Member

Ratings:
    +1,276 / 3 / -6
    You mean the team that lost to the Browns?
  5. tbear1

tbear1

Ratings:
    +103 / 0 / -0
    All the verbal feedback from T-man is positive for Jay. But, he has no choice as there is nothing behind Jay.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. little bear

little bear

Ratings:
    +358 / 0 / -0
    They didn't look good against Cleveland, totally agree with you on this one. But have you seen Brady's stats today?
  7. The Benjamin

Ratings:
    +1,276 / 3 / -6
    Nope. Had an off day I take it.
  8. billatter

billatter

Ratings:
    +126 / 0 / -0
    The other interpretation is that it takes a few iterations to find the right DC. The interesting thing was that Montreal's D was always well respected. Perhaps a case of Jim Popp the GM supplying the right personnel? Either way, it won't be an overnight thing to fix.
  9. jackiejokeman

jackiejokeman

Ratings:
    +105 / 0 / -1
    Melton on I.R. Paea with a toe.

Shit happens ... but still ... how do you bounce back ?
  10. The Benjamin

Ratings:
    +1,276 / 3 / -6
    By winning
  11. DavidL

DavidL SuperFan

Ratings:
    +473 / 2 / -3
    I learned that our DL will be going from bad to worse. If we miss the playoffs again, that will be #1 reason.
  12. strockrocks

strockrocks

Ratings:
    +55 / 0 / -0
    What we Learned:

(in my opinion)

1) Briggs was WAY better when he didn't have to call the defense
    2) Whether or not people want to admit it, there are WAY better kick/punt returners on other teams currently better than Hester.
    3) I thought Bass looked like he could have potential.
    4) I still can't tell if Shea sucks or was OK out there. He was out there a lot. Why was Peppers out so much?
    5) Matt Forte can NOT run up the gut.
    6) Alshon Jeffery is improving every game.
    7) Tillman, due to injuries, looks like a liability out there.

I didn't think we would win this game and not angry like I was last week (I was a bit cranky all day and the next day). I'm actually looking forward to Thursday; we are playing a team that is playing very poorly. I want to know how we stack up. It's at home, as well. Can't wait.
  13. riczaj01

riczaj01

Ratings:
    +1,850 / 5 / -4
    we had 2 sacks and 5 hits today and it was worse; we held their RB's to 66 yards rushing and at least sproles was held silent....P Thomas had a big game against us w/2TD's, and Graham had a lot of yards bit really that's par for the course for Graham. I think the D played, okay, today not great but hardly bad...the DL had one of their better games. No one guessed this DL would get near Brees, but they pressured him all day.
  14. Henry Burris

Henry Burris

Ratings:
    +1,945 / 8 / -2
    What we learned is that expectations before the season were about right (I mean, Bengals, Steelers, Vikings, Lions and Saints, 2 losses out of that weren't unexpected), and the need to be patient is correct, but it's the way they're losing is what was unexpected. Sure, the o-line could play bad, and we'd be more forgiving, but they're playing well, and the players we SHOULD be able to rely on, are not paying dividends (Jay, Peppers, Briggs).

After these past two games, the only thing that Trestman has shown as a game caller over Tice, is that he can make half-time adjustments. He NEEDS to show he can make early game adjustments, as well.
    • Like Like x 1
  15. DavidL

DavidL SuperFan

Ratings:
    +473 / 2 / -3
    I was thinking of losing Collins. If he can come back healthy, then we're no worse.
  16. ZifanQ

ZifanQ SuperFan

Ratings:
    +113 / 0 / -0
    That we won't beat the Packers twice this year for sure. I doubt if we are even going to beat them once.
    Jeffery is stepping up, trading up to get him seems more and more like the right thing to do. So far Jeffery has the most yards(429) for a 2th year player with T.Y Hilton being the closest to him with 342 yards..
  17. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston

Ratings:
    +774 / 2 / -0
    Well, I'm trying to be objective and yet contribute some thoughts as to what is going on. I really am starting to come to the realization that Urlacher making his calls was even more of a factor than I thought. I mean, I knew it was big, but I thought that there would not be as big a drop off with Briggs. It almost seems like these responsibilities have neutralized his play, and quite frankly, if this is the cause of our issues (which, of course, we have no way of knowing), it is also affecting the whole D. If he is getting them in wrong alignments, then it could also explain the huge drop off in the DL play.

I just have no idea, just trying to make sense out of people like Melton, Peppers, Paea, etc ALL seeming to be playing worse. It can only be Tucker or Briggs, and probably both. If it were just one or two players, then I'd say it was just a drop off in play, but not so many. And Peppers was a stud last year. I have NEVER seen a drop off like that (including age) without an injury. Something is up.
  18. riczaj01

riczaj01

Ratings:
    +1,850 / 5 / -4
    Honestly up until that stupid penalty on Briggs, I thought he was having a decent year.

The D play calling might well be an issue, but I don't think the play of the MLB has been worse then it was last year, so take that into consideration also.

I think the idea of being 3-2 would have had most happy at the beggining of the year, but I don't know that anyone is happy w/how the team has played on the field in those losses. I think the idea that the O was fixed is not living up to somes expectations. All I was hoping for was a jump towards middle of the pack(top 15-20), and I think that's where the O is, some I think thought it'd be much better. I also thought the D would fall back to the middle of the pack also, but I think it's fallen even worse then that, partially b/c of inj.
  19. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston

Ratings:
    +774 / 2 / -0
    Yeah, iDK. Just trying to connect the dots to something that makes sense. Briggs is not normally a decent player. He is usually a difference maker. And that's why I say his play has been neutralized. I agree, he has been decent, but not this usual standard. No one on D has been. I think right there is the problem in a nutshell.
  20. billatter

billatter

Ratings:
    +126 / 0 / -0
    Or is it a loss of leadership rather than a lack of talent. Seen it before where a veteran is lost and the unit becomes less than the sum of its parts.