Chicago Bears 2013 Position Battles: Wide Receiver

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by riczaj01, Jul 30, 2013.

1. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

ßearz ßuckz:
    512ß
    Please Register or Log in to Remove this Advertisement!
    Well the upper body strength doesn't really effect the guys chances of getting hurt, and isnt a big factor factor in holding on to the ball. Where it may hurt him is his ability to get off the line against press coverage, and or create separation downfield. If he can get off a jam, then I think that there is no reason he wont be on the 53 man roster. Yes, the elite WR need to possess the strength to make the superstar plays (going up in traffic to get a ball and possibly take it away from a defender) we won't be asking Wilson to do this. What we will ask him if he makes the roster and sees some snaps is to just simply be an option, run solid routes, and if hes open make a catch. I would be more concerned with his ability to run the right routes and learn the playbook way before I want to know what his bench press is. In that sense, I agree with you that a bit too much is being made about his upper body strength.

2. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    3,870ß
    Grizz, and most rookie wr's struggle to do just that, learn the playbook, and now the Bears playbook is huge. And he will struggle to get off the line and gain separation from NFL CB's if he's not strong enough.

3. MPbears68

MPbears68 Hall of Famer

ßearz ßuckz:
    1,336ß
    No one in their right mind thinks Wilson is going to do anything significant this year. He has upside but needs to learn and bulk up a bit. He's a year away from a chance at contributing.

Question is....is his potential great enough to "protect" him from being poached from a PS spot? If not for the run-in with dickhead Leach, he was thought of as a projected 2nd-3rd round talent. So we got a good value for him in the 7th since his behavioral concerns seem confined to one particular coach from the past. The choices are either put him on the 53 man roster as a #5 (prob inactive most games of the year) or give him the faux "injury redshirt". I don't think he will last long on the PS and we will lose him.

• Like Like x 1
  4. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    3,870ß
    I agree MP, he won't last on the PS, I see a Faux injury, unless he shows he can contribute on ST's as a KR/PR.

5. MPbears68

MPbears68 Hall of Famer

ßearz ßuckz:
    1,336ß
    Good point, Ric. Maybe he earns a roster spot if he can backup Hester. Otherwise, fake an injury. Because he's the type of sleeper talent that teams like New England/Green Bay/New Orleans could poach and turn into something in a year or two.

• Like Like x 1
  6. short faced bear

short faced bear Assistant Head Coach
    DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    834ß
    If Wilson is anything then he should be "redshirted" like Melton was back in the day. I know there has been a lot of fuss made about him on the old board but he needs to get stronger and learn the playbook period. With that said anyone with some height, hands, and some up's not being coached up by Drake is fine by me.

• Like Like x 1
  7. motownbear

motownbear derp daderp daderpidity derp

ßearz ßuckz:
    the bright side here is when was the last time as fans we have been this intrigued by all the receiving options on offense? What the Booker-Robinson connection lol wow. In just two offseasons I cant complain about wr or te. I can still complain about other crap though lol

• Like Like x 2
  8. JJ-30

JJ-30 Veteran

ßearz ßuckz:
    282ß
    How many of us sitting here would have thought two or three years ago that today we would be talking about not a #1 or #2 or even a #3 WR that might make the team but a #4 or #5 guy and we are more then happy to read about it.

• Like Like x 1
  9. BearJim

BearJim Veteran
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    115ß
    The coolest thing about it is since our top 3 WRs are pretty much set the young guys will get a lot of work in the preseason games. It's going to be a fun preseason to see how this plays out.

10. Mr. Deliverance

ßearz ßuckz:
    All legitimate points Grizz.

I will take a wait and see approach and see exactly what his game looks like in preseason though. As much as I like Bennett, he just continues to have too many injury issues. We need someone from this draft class to really come in and provide a boost. I can't just chalk Wilson off tot he PS. Weems is not a good WR option. Neither is Hester, of course. And Anderson...well...he's unproven of course.