Chicago Bears 2013 Position Battles: Wide Receiver

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by riczaj01, Jul 30, 2013.

1. Grizzblue

Grizzblue

Ratings:
    +266 / 0 / -0
    Regarding Wilson, I said in earlier posts that his ability to get off press coverages will be a bit of a concern. The way I do see a possibility of dressing some games and maybe hauling in 10 catches is assuming Bennett will be hurt for some time (always is.) Any catches he has will likely be a very simple scenario.

He is in on a 4 wide set.
    Finds hole in a zone or beats a no 4 CB.
    Jay finds him as late option.
    Routine catch.

Nothing he does will be flashy or highlight stuff, assuming he gets a chance on WR heavy sets a few plays a game.
  2. MPbears68

MPbears68

Ratings:
    +818 / 1 / -0
    Wilson needs to be "protected" somehow regardless of whether he contributes anything this year or not. He was a ~ 2nd round talent/potential we scored in the 7th because of overblown behavioral concerns that were unique to his college situation. This guy needs to be a Bear for 2014 and beyond. So, either keep him on the final roster or redshirt him somehow because a WR hungry team like Philly or New England will poach him from the PS and we will end up sorry.
  3. riczaj01

riczaj01

Ratings:
    +1,795 / 5 / -4
    udfa that played in the nfl last year isn't proven but the 7th round rookie this year is?
  4. MPbears68

MPbears68

Ratings:
    +818 / 1 / -0
    Few, if any, of the players at the bottom of the depth chart of any NFL team are "proven". Proven players are either at/near the top of the depth chart (proven GOOD) or off of it entirely (proven NOT GOOD). The reserve spots near the back end of the depth chart are generally filled by "unproven" players with development/upside potential. So, I don't see a difference here between a 2nd year former-udfa and a rookie 7th rounder who are both showing something worthwhile for the future.
  5. riczaj01

riczaj01

Ratings:
    +1,795 / 5 / -4
    MP, I disagree, the difference from year 1 to year 2 for WR's in the NFL tends to be huge. The 2nd year guy knows the speed of the game and has now had 2 camps to work on his routes and watch NFL game tape; he's also had a fully ear to gain NFL strength.

maybe a 2nd year RB or LB or DL'men you'd be correct but WR and DB you cannot afford to be lost or unable to handle the game day speed of the NFL and even 1 year makes a huge difference.
  6. soulman

soulman

Ratings:
    +811 / 0 / -0
    I can agree with old Lester's assessment of the receiving core. Marshall, Jeffrey and Bennett are undoubtedly the locks. After that I can easily see Joe Anderson making it as a #4 guy and STeamer which could leave Weems in a world of hurt. He's not an accomplished WR and his return skills never impressed me last year so if all he's around for is coverage I think we can save some money and let him go.

The #5 spot has to be between DA and the rookie Wilson so how each shows up in camp and the preseason will decide who gets a roster spot. Cutler likes DA but if we try to sneak Wilson onto the PS there's a chance we could lose him. This one is tougher to call but if Wilson shows any glimmer of becoming a solid NFL WR I think here you have to go with the youth and not risk losing him. If no one else picks him up DA may still be around later on in the season in the event of an injury to a starter.

One of the other guys may find his way onto the PS if he can play STeams well.

EDIT: I think right now Hester's roster spot doesn't come into play here. Last year we kept 4 TEs (not that it did any good) so this year we keep 3 and that's where you save room for Hester.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. riczaj01

riczaj01

Ratings:
    +1,795 / 5 / -4
    Soul, I agree w/that Hester assessment. Not just that but they could use a 4th RB or FB position on him, or if Blanchard shows high and McCown doesn't show well you could keep 2 qb's, not like the Bears couldn't pick McCown off the street if there was a huge need.
    I could see the Bears keeping 6 wr's and one not be Hester.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. soulman

soulman

Ratings:
    +811 / 0 / -0
    Well if they did go with just two Ric I'm thinking McCown is the other and not Blanchard. He's just too inexperienced yet and McCown isn't a bad QB. He's no Cutler by a long shot but I think he has more on the ball than Campbell did last year and you can win with him.

The other spots are a wild card right now. Camp and the preseason games are gonna tell us a lot about how many they keep where and who. I see four backs but whether it's Adams, Unga, of Fiametta at FB and Allen or Ford as the #3 RB who can say. Adams has a leg up because he can play TE too but they keep bringing Unga back so they must see something the like in him. He's a bull of a runner and would be a good replacement for Bush is he went down.

There's room for Hester. Unless he really steps on his dick in preseason there almost has to be.
  9. riczaj01

riczaj01

Ratings:
    +1,795 / 5 / -4
    I've heard Fendi is in competition for that H-Back spot w/Adams.
    Ford is not in competition for the #3 spot, to this point. #3 has all been Allen.
    McCown up until yesterday has looked REALLY bad so I don't know that it's a given he makes the squad unless he starts having a lot more days like yesterday.

I agree there is room for Hester, and I'm not saying any of that WILL happen, I'm just saying that it doesn't have to be at the expense of the WR spot.
  10. MPbears68

MPbears68

Ratings:
    +818 / 1 / -0
    I think we are talking about two different things. I have no doubt that a year of experience (even on the PS) is telling at the WR position, but that's not what I was talking about. I was talking about keeping these guys (Anderson and Wilson) around even if they, especially Wilson, don't add much this season.

Neither of them is "proven". Maybe Anderson a little as a STer but that's it. There's nothing wrong with bottom-of-the-depth-chart positions for guys like this that you want to develop and not lose. Wilson won't survive the year on the PS. Heck, he might not clear waivers the first time.
  11. MPbears68

MPbears68

Ratings:
    +818 / 1 / -0
    That's exactly how I see it too. Anderson is the #4 and its between Aromashadu and Wilson to make the team as the #5. Unless DA is the clear winner, you gotta go with Wilson. DA is known and older. He's probably gonna be hanging around free later even if we cut him. Wilson is the 2nd-3rd round talent potential you got lucky enough to snag in the 7th. If he shows any potential in TC (as he apparently has), he won't last on the PS. Some other WR-hungry team will steal him away to develop.
  12. Henry Burris

Henry Burris

Ratings:
    +1,941 / 8 / -2
    Also, Hester has been working with the DB's (chill out, it's to practice tackling on ST's), so I'm sure they're wanting to keep him another year.
  13. Grizzblue

Grizzblue

Ratings:
    +266 / 0 / -0
    totally agree with your point about DA and Wilson. If DA is hands down 100% better and light years ahead, then yeah go DA and find a bs injury to protect Wilson with. If its close, I say we go Wilson. If absolutely nothing else it gives him a full year to be at the practices and learning the speed of the league. Maybe he dresses some games, maybe we stay healthy all year at WR and he dosent. What I would hate to see happen is he get sent to the PS, because I don't think he would clear waivers let along make it all year there. That could really bite us down the road.
    • Like Like x 1
  14. soulman

soulman

Ratings:
    +811 / 0 / -0
    And I agree. (WOW, that was too easy and now I'm worried, LOL)

Adams has some advantages over Onobun as a FB/HB but I think if they want a true pass catching TE then Onobun is their guy. But they could just as easily keep both using Adams at FB.

Don't know why Ford isn't getting any carries but then I'm not at all unhappy with Allen either.

McCown will settle in. This ain't his first rodeo. But if Blanchard can take the #2 spot from him in preseason I'm all for it. I've been a fan ever since they signed him.
  15. Blue Horse-shoe

Blue Horse-shoe

Ratings:
    +70 / 0 / -0
    Wilson is a genuine talent and it would foolish for them not keep him .
  16. JPosh2012

JPosh2012

Ratings:
    +86 / 0 / -0
    I think now that we actually have a competent TE in Bennett I could see us going down to 3 TE's and using that extra slot for Hester and still be able to keep 6 WR's.

I will admit that the more I sit down and think about it that I do agree that we need to keep Wilson because I doubt he'd clear waivers. Yes he did have some issues and that's why he slipped but remember Mike Leach is a first class d-bag so I think that does mitigate the situation somewhat.

I do think in the long Wilson will be a solid #2 or #3 WR.
  17. riczaj01

riczaj01

Ratings:
    +1,795 / 5 / -4
    Leach is, but Wilson was forced to recant why he left the team, and that it had nothing to do w/Leach's d-bagness.