Chicago Bears 2014 Draft: The Good, the Bad and the BafflingBy Zach Kruse , Featured Columnist May 1

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by riczaj01, May 11, 2014.

1. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,666 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,848ß
    http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...-2014-draft-the-good-the-bad-and-the-baffling

Loaded with needs on the defensive side, the Chicago Bears entered the 2014 NFL draft with their eyes on fixing what can only be considered a train wreck of a defense from a year ago.
    Not surprisingly, the Bears used four of their first five picks on upgrading that side of the football.
    Kyle Fuller, Ego Ferguson, Will Sutton and Brock Vereen give the Bears a severely needed infusion of youth and talent. Along the way, Chicago also filled in some offensive needs and took a potential answer at punter.
    In the following slides, we'll analyze the good, the bad and the baffling from the Bears' 2014 draft.
    The full list of Chicago's 2014 draft picks:
    • 1.14: CB Kyle Fuller, Virginia Tech
    • 2.51: DT Ego Ferguson, LSU
    • 3.82: DT Will Sutton, Arizona State
    • 4.117: RB Ka'Deem Carey, Arizona
    • 4.131: S Brock Vereen, Minnesota
    • 6.183: QB David Fales, San Jose State
    • 6.191: P Patrick O'Donnell, Miami (Fl.)
    • 7.246: OL Charles Leno, Boise State
    The best of the Bears draft...

1.14: CB Kyle Fuller, Virginia Tech
    When Aaron Donald went off the board at No. 13, Fuller became a slam-dunk pick for the Bears at No. 14. Donald would have filled an immediate hole at the 3-technique, but Fuller adds youth, length and talent to a cornerback group in Chicago that needed all three. He was my top cornerback in this class, complete with anticipation and reaction skills, and a physicality and aggressive streak that consistently showed up against the run. Pop in his tape against Alabama and you'll see everything Fuller brings to the next level. The Bears got a good one—and at a position of need, no less—in the first round.

3.82: DT Will Sutton, Arizona State
    Hard to fault a team so in need of defensive tackles for rolling the dice on a player many considered a first-round talent as recently as a year ago. Sutton put on too much weight as a senior and his production and draft stock took a big hit. But if the Bears can get him down into the 290 to 295 range, they'll have a potentially disruptive 3-technique on their hands to help replace Henry Melton.
    Remember, Sutton posted 13 sacks and 23.5 tackles for losses as a slimmed down junior. He still finished his collegiate career with 20 sacks, an impressive number for a defensive tackle. At No. 82, Sutton was well worth the investment as a low-risk, high-reward kind of addition.

4.117: RB Ka'Deem Carey, Arizona
    He's short (5'9"), lacks top-end speed (4.7-second 40) and he had a few off-field incidents. That's the bad news. However, Carey was one of the most productive college running backs in recent memory, finding the end zone 42 times and totaling nearly 4,000 rushing yards over the last two seasons. He also caught 77 passes. You worry he's taken too much collegiate punishment, but Carey is a talented runner who could flourish behind Matt Forte in Marc Trestman's offense.

4.131: S Brock Vereen, Minnesota
    The Bears needed more help at safety. In Vereen, they get a converted cornerback who lit up the combine with impressive numbers across the board. His athleticism and range give him a chance to be a productive free safety at the next level. There's worry about his ability to support against the run, and he didn't generate many takeaways at Minnesota. But in the fourth round, can you expect much more in a safety than a smart and athletic player like Vereen? If he develops, the Bears have a future starter.

6.183: QB David Fales, San Jose State
    Phil Emery bluffed against his interest in taking a quarterback late, and then did it anyway in the sixth round. Why not? Emery is giving his head coach a coachable passer, and given how well Marc Trestman did in advancing the skill sets of Jay Cutler and Josh McCown in just one season, it's a good bet Fales will at least turn into a strong backup in Chicago. Fales isn't big or fast, but he can read defenses and provide professional-level accuracy throwing the football.

The questionable of the Bears draft...

2.51: DT Ego Ferguson, LSU
    Ferguson finds himself in the "bad" category for no other reason than his selection at No. 51 overall feels a little bit like a reach. He has great size at 6'3" and 315 pounds, and he'll help beef up a run defense that was shredded into tiny pieces last season. But this is still a defender who made only 12 collegiate starts, and he finished last season with just 3.5 tackles for losses. He never really was a disruptive force at LSU. The Bears are getting a raw product with good upside, but you wonder if they went a little high for a player who might only be a block-eater at the next level.

6.191: P Pat O'Donnell, Miami (Fl.)
    O'Donnell is a good athlete for the position, with a pro-ready leg in terms of kicking distance. The Bears lost 2013 punter Adam Podlesh, so there was a need to find a replacement. He'll compete with Drew Butler to be Chicago's option in 2014, with the draft pick obviously having the early leg up (no pun intended). But was O'Donnell worth a sixth-round pick? He'll need to earn the job and have a nice career in Chicago to justify the selection. He was the first punter off the board.

The worst of the Bears draft...

Emery's Smoke Screen?
    The Bears didn't really have a pick so questionable or curious to be called "baffling." But the drafting of quarterback David Fales in the sixth round was surprising, given how adamant general manager Phil Emery was in saying that taking a developmental quarterback late in a draft doesn't work.
    Here's what Emery said a week ago, per Jeff Dickerson of ESPN Chicago:
    I just did a little study. It's very interesting. That developmental theory doesn't hold a whole lot of water. There's entire classes of quarterbacks, since '06, I went back and looked at from Jay's on—when people say developmental quarterbacks, OK, so who has gotten developed? There isn't a single quarterback after the third round since 2006 that has been a long-term starter. So you're either developing thirds, and most of them have been wiped out of the league. So to get a quality quarterback, you've got to draft them high. That 2012 class is a blip on the radar that's unusual, highly unusual. ​
    Many took his words as confirmation that the Bears wouldn't take a quarterback late in this draft.
    It could be that we simply misinterpreted his words.
    Yes, the Bears took Fales, a player Marc Trestman will now groom behind Jay Cutler. He could make a strong backup option for many years. But maybe Emery was simply talking about developing Cutler's replacement, which would likely require a top pick.
    Fales, for all his qualities, is probably not Cutler's eventual successor.
    Or maybe Emery is a master smokescreener, and he didn't want anyone to take a player Trestman liked later in the draft. Either way, it was a sequence as close to "baffling" as the Bears provided in this draft.
  2. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,666 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,848ß
    Somethings about this:

Again I wonder why people are now worried about college producction after Long was such a huge success, and were actually pissed off about how Long was looked at as such a reach. Ego was in taken in the 2nd, and not the 1st, and isn't going to be asked to do anything other then be a lane clogger/run stuffer...ie what Paea has been asked to do and did it well until getting hurt last year. The fact that he has upside to possibly get after the passer is a huge bonus. The kid is a athletic freak for his size, and was a leader on a team full of pro prostects at LSU, what else do you want?

again why are people confused about what Emery said about qb's and this pick? He wasn't drafted to be a future starter, and Emery didn't draft him for that, he drafted him to be a, at best, backup. You don't draft and develop starters after the 3rd round, but Fales isn't looked at as a future starter.

Why are people acting like any other 6th round pick WOULD'NT have had to earn a roster spot, most would be likely to have been kept. Has anyone been watching how the Punt game has really screwed up the Bears games by giving up field position? It's a big part of the game, and if this guy is the best P in the draft(and some say he was) then he's well worth a 6th pick.
    • Like Like x 3
  3. BearDownUnder

BearDownUnder Veteran

Ratings:
    +71 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    37ß
    I agree. Why does the punter have to be successful to justify a 6th round pick when any other position no one cares if they make it or not! A six rounder is very good value to turn a position of weakness in to a one of strength even if it's a punter!

And yes I think Emery was doing a little bittle of a smoke screen but mainly him picking Fales is about him valuing a good 2nd QB. Again 6th round is still value if you get a guy who keeps your season alive after your starter goes down.

I understand the hate of Ferguson. 'Draft experts' probably thought you could get a DT who could play the NT in a 4-3 run stuffing mold in the 4th or 5th round or one with way more experience on tape in the 2nd. I think they are failing to appreciate that at his worst Ferguson should still project as a good run stuffer even if he hasn't had the seasons of doing it at college. But they are skimming over his athleticism and not thinking enough about potential.

We are all hoping Ferguson plays as well as Long. That would be amazing. I'm pretty confident though that at worst he makes the team and does a job. At best he could be special. That beats just drafting a guy who's potential is limited.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +920 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,087ß
    Not sure of Value but doubt he would have lasted till round 4. Emery must have doubted if he would be there in rd 3 so took him before Sutton.
  5. omc1969

omc1969 Veteran

Ratings:
    +216 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    37ß
    I'm actually surprised that he didn't bash Emery for most of his picks.
    Zach is a well known Bears hater and confirmed "Village Idiot"
    so It's way out of character for him to say ANYTHING good about the organization at all.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,666 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,848ß
    According to Gil Brandt, who was a nfl scout as of last year, he talked to 4 current teams scouts and they all had Ego as a late 2nd early 3rd pick, so he wasn't likely to be there when the Bears picked.

People are basing their hate off this pick b/c of McShay and Kiper calling it a huge reach. But I'll take the word of actual scouts over 2 guys who are used by NFL teams to purposefully mislead eachother.
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,666 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,848ß
    Overall, I'm very excited about this draft, the first one in close to a decade.
    • Like Like x 2
  8. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +920 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,087ß
    I agree with that. I think he is a time will tell pick. Not a bad idea for the second rd, if you can get a rd 1 talent in rd 2 he will be worth it. He is just a prove me correct pick, not yet proven. Not down on him, just was surprised and taking a wait and see attitude.
  9. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,666 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,848ß
    After last year I'm taking that w/all these picks. Emery has proven he gets the benefit of the doubt w/this drafts. But this one really seemed like everything clicked well for him.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +920 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,087ß
    This draft is exciting, lots to like just need the picks to play to there potential and it will be a great draft.
  11. BearJim

BearJim Veteran SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +167 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    68ß
    So to make the experts happy lets just say we got Ferguson in the 3rd & Sutton in the 2nd. I'm happy with both picks & thrilled with the entire draft. Like I said yesterday, best draft in several years imho.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,666 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,848ß
    I think people pointed that out in Emery's first draft, you switch Jeffery and Shea picks and people like it more.
    I'd say even more so w/Ego/Will. But for whatever reason teams/not fans or draft experts, had Ego higher
    • Like Like x 2
  13. omc1969

omc1969 Veteran

Ratings:
    +216 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    37ß
    Yeah, this why fans and the "Talking Heads" don't draft players and good GM's DO !
    :lol 027:
    • Like Like x 1
  14. strockrocks

strockrocks Veteran

Ratings:
    +219 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    33ß
    The media brainwashes society on some level.

I probably paid attention to this draft more than any other draft in my lifetime. It's given me a different perspective on a lot of things. First, it really makes you appreciate all the hard work these GMs/coaches/scouts do every day of the year; we all know how hard Emery works (as I'm sure all GMs do) - so thank you Phil.

I don't know why more people can't look at the draft from a GM/team perspective on these picks. Instead of screaming and yelling at the TV how much of a 'reach' some players are or fans that are just completely baffled on why 'their guy' isn't being picked, wouldn't it make more sense to have some trust in the GMs around the league compared to all these other experts?

So instead of thinking, "Why the hell did they pick (player x) in the 3rd round; we could have gotten him in the 5th!!!!", is it not possible to think, "wow. interesting. We all thought he was a 5th rounder but looks like the teams are viewing him differently." That's my vote.

I don't know. I guess what I'm trying to say is that is seems like fans can get so angry at their teams picks by comparing them to where the experts SAY they should go when I think it should completely be the other way around. I know most people know that on this board but for the casual fan (some of my friends), it's annoying. The GMs get screamed at yet Kiper and company get free passes.

So thank you Phil and company for working so hard and trying to make our beloved team better each day! He's made some baffling picks in the past but for this year, (and as the title suggests), I didn't see any pick 'baffling' as the article suggests.
    • Like Like x 4
  15. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,666 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,848ß
    Yep, I saw someone post on another site and they pointed it out really well; so don't put this as my words and i'm paraphrasing:

how come more fans don't say wow the experts had that guy ranked x and they were picked y, how could they have been that off but instead blame the GM's for reaching or getting credit for steals?

The reality is that most of these experts are used to try and keep the scent off what their real intentions are, but each of the GM's and their scouts know where these guys should really go.
    • Like Like x 1
  16. omc1969

omc1969 Veteran

Ratings:
    +216 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    37ß
    It's a conspiracy .......... One BIG ASS smokescreen !
    :bouncelaugh:
    • Like Like x 1
  17. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,482 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    513ß
    I have no problem with the Ego pick (I'm a little surprised that him and Sutton weren't reversed in round-priority but it doesn't matter now). EF is Paea's backup and may be his successor if SP doesn't stay healthy and pick up his consistency. So taking a "raw and inexperienced" Ferguson makes sense a year before he's likely to be needed and see much PT.

I also like the P pick though let's be honest he could have very likely been drafted in the 7th.
  18. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,482 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    513ß
    And that's a really good point for those who want to carp about passing on Dix or Pryor in the 1st. Both those guys fell farther than most experts predicted (esp HaHa) and were passed over by many teams.
  19. Xa0sG0rilla

Xa0sG0rilla Veteran

Ratings:
    +67 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    24ß
    While I'm going to take a lot of flack from the facker pans about the Bears drafting a punter, and I'm not sure that doing so was the best idea. One bit of reasoning that I am thinking of is that Emery is looking to save the team some cap space for the next few years by drafting backups rather than hiring them through Free Agency.

Over all, I am pleased with this draft. Emery got one of the Best corners, Doubled down on Interior Defensive Linemen, got a replacement punter, a backup QB (granted, he needs to be developed for a bit), and a backup RB for far less than what the team would pay on the open market...
  20. omc1969

omc1969 Veteran

Ratings:
    +216 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    37ß
    It was a great idea if Emery liked him better than the two that are currently on the roster.
    He obviously knows better than we do.