Chicago Bears 2014 Draft: The Good, the Bad and the BafflingBy Zach Kruse , Featured Columnist May 1

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by riczaj01, May 11, 2014.

1. BearJim

BearJim Veteran
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    113ß
    Please Register or Log in to Remove this Advertisement!
    So to make the experts happy lets just say we got Ferguson in the 3rd & Sutton in the 2nd. I'm happy with both picks & thrilled with the entire draft. Like I said yesterday, best draft in several years imho.

• Like Like x 1
  2. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    3,770ß
    I think people pointed that out in Emery's first draft, you switch Jeffery and Shea picks and people like it more.
    I'd say even more so w/Ego/Will. But for whatever reason teams/not fans or draft experts, had Ego higher

• Like Like x 2
  3. omc1969

omc1969 Veteran

ßearz ßuckz:
    50ß
    Yeah, this why fans and the "Talking Heads" don't draft players and good GM's DO !
    :lol 027:

• Like Like x 1
  4. strockrocks

strockrocks Veteran

ßearz ßuckz:
    108ß
    The media brainwashes society on some level.

I probably paid attention to this draft more than any other draft in my lifetime. It's given me a different perspective on a lot of things. First, it really makes you appreciate all the hard work these GMs/coaches/scouts do every day of the year; we all know how hard Emery works (as I'm sure all GMs do) - so thank you Phil.

I don't know why more people can't look at the draft from a GM/team perspective on these picks. Instead of screaming and yelling at the TV how much of a 'reach' some players are or fans that are just completely baffled on why 'their guy' isn't being picked, wouldn't it make more sense to have some trust in the GMs around the league compared to all these other experts?

So instead of thinking, "Why the hell did they pick (player x) in the 3rd round; we could have gotten him in the 5th!!!!", is it not possible to think, "wow. interesting. We all thought he was a 5th rounder but looks like the teams are viewing him differently." That's my vote.

I don't know. I guess what I'm trying to say is that is seems like fans can get so angry at their teams picks by comparing them to where the experts SAY they should go when I think it should completely be the other way around. I know most people know that on this board but for the casual fan (some of my friends), it's annoying. The GMs get screamed at yet Kiper and company get free passes.

So thank you Phil and company for working so hard and trying to make our beloved team better each day! He's made some baffling picks in the past but for this year, (and as the title suggests), I didn't see any pick 'baffling' as the article suggests.

• Like Like x 4
  5. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    3,770ß
    Yep, I saw someone post on another site and they pointed it out really well; so don't put this as my words and i'm paraphrasing:

how come more fans don't say wow the experts had that guy ranked x and they were picked y, how could they have been that off but instead blame the GM's for reaching or getting credit for steals?

The reality is that most of these experts are used to try and keep the scent off what their real intentions are, but each of the GM's and their scouts know where these guys should really go.

• Like Like x 1
  6. omc1969

omc1969 Veteran

ßearz ßuckz:
    50ß
    It's a conspiracy .......... One BIG ASS smokescreen !
    :bouncelaugh:

• Like Like x 1
  7. MPbears68

MPbears68 Hall of Famer

ßearz ßuckz:
    1,285ß
    I have no problem with the Ego pick (I'm a little surprised that him and Sutton weren't reversed in round-priority but it doesn't matter now). EF is Paea's backup and may be his successor if SP doesn't stay healthy and pick up his consistency. So taking a "raw and inexperienced" Ferguson makes sense a year before he's likely to be needed and see much PT.

I also like the P pick though let's be honest he could have very likely been drafted in the 7th.

8. MPbears68

MPbears68 Hall of Famer

ßearz ßuckz:
    1,285ß
    And that's a really good point for those who want to carp about passing on Dix or Pryor in the 1st. Both those guys fell farther than most experts predicted (esp HaHa) and were passed over by many teams.

9. Xa0sG0rilla

Xa0sG0rilla Veteran

ßearz ßuckz:
    54ß
    While I'm going to take a lot of flack from the facker pans about the Bears drafting a punter, and I'm not sure that doing so was the best idea. One bit of reasoning that I am thinking of is that Emery is looking to save the team some cap space for the next few years by drafting backups rather than hiring them through Free Agency.

Over all, I am pleased with this draft. Emery got one of the Best corners, Doubled down on Interior Defensive Linemen, got a replacement punter, a backup QB (granted, he needs to be developed for a bit), and a backup RB for far less than what the team would pay on the open market...

10. omc1969

omc1969 Veteran

ßearz ßuckz:
    50ß
    It was a great idea if Emery liked him better than the two that are currently on the roster.
    He obviously knows better than we do.