Chicago Bears 2014 Draft: The Good, the Bad and the BafflingBy Zach Kruse , Featured Columnist May 1

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by riczaj01, May 11, 2014.

1. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Position Coach

Ratings:
    +1,618 / 6 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    888ß
    I don't believe it even as I'm typing it, but I think that is a very fair assessment. I view most of the picks (same ones as him really) as being good picks. Some are not proven, but were taken low enought that I feel they were good picks anyway.

Ego, I'm not sure of for similar reasons. Although the guy has serious upside and could be a beast.

Again, a draft with some huge potential. Hopefully it gets realized.
  2. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,065 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,137ß
    Ego's got a statement for all you non believers "...better watch out for me."
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Bearsinhouston

Ratings:
    +1,618 / 6 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    888ß
    I love that quoTE. And I'm not a non- believer. I want to believe..... where did I put those ruby slippers......
    • Like Like x 3
  4. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,065 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,137ß
    If I lived in Chicago I'd be a believer...would not want a 6ft 300lb angry man wanting me to watch out for him. That'd be scary shit.

I feel sorry for the OL in this league if he puts his energy into proving all the non believers wrong...gonna be some mentally and physcially hurt G's and C's after Bears games.
    • Like Like x 2
  5. Bearsinhouston

Ratings:
    +1,618 / 6 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    888ß
    I would love watching some of that. That's exactly how I hope it goes down.
  6. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,065 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,137ß
    Listening to chicagobears.com talk about Brock Vareen they said he's best closer to the line, but can also play back in the field, and he can also play NB.

I think the one thing you are going to see next year is another CB and another S and probably a LB drafted next year. W/out seeing how everything shakes out those are the areas that look like they need the most help 1year from now.
  7. Bearsinhouston

Ratings:
    +1,618 / 6 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    888ß
    Yeah... I agree. Emery is not done with the secondary. I don't know how much more he can do this year. I'm hoping that this year it will be strong because we still have the proven players. Depending on how players perform this year, I see S, CB, LB, TE and maybe DE and QB for next year. With maybe only S and CB being strong needs even if Tillman leaves. I hope Fuller steps up and we just keep playing to the same beat. Unlikely that a guy can fill Tillmans shoes after only one year, but Tillman won;t be here much longer I don't think.
  8. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,065 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,137ß
    Nah I think it's going to work out well. Tillman and Briggs both wanted to retire together, and I think that's whats going to happen...and I think it happens next year.
    But that means they'll have drafted Tillmans replacement this year, but will need to look at getting someone to replace Jennings eventually who will be looking at 32 or 33 at that point.
    hopefully Vareen works out but they are still down 1 S next year imo b/c all they have are 4(outside ofVareen) backup quality S's, I'm guesing most will be gone and they'll try and draft another one.
    Then you have Briggs and DJ gone, hopefully 3 of the 4 we have right now will work out(Shea/Bostic/Greene/Jones) but the reality is that 2 at best 2 of those guys are starting quality. So the team will need to get at least 1 more LB.

So right there you have 3 of next years picks taken, and the team lost a 5th rounder next year to trade up. The team at that point will also probably have to look for a TE also, and depending on how Forte does a real replacement for him, but hopefully not.
  9. Grendel

Grendel Rookie

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    I'm actually hoping that Tillman stays healthy and has a good year, and gets to come back for one more. I like what Fuller offers at the nickel position, and having three good corners is nice.
  10. Jimmors

Jimmors The Rhymenoceros Staff Member SuperFan

Ratings:
    +4,496 / 8 / -6
    ßearz ßuckz:
    805ß
    I think Fales is a good pick if people remember what he was drafted for: a replacement for McCown, not Cutler. Trestman will groom him as a backup, someone to put in stretches if Jay is down for whatever reason. Fales is not intended to be a long-term replacement as a starting QB.
    • Like Like x 2
  11. dachuckster

dachuckster Veteran SuperFan

Ratings:
    +341 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    173ß
    I think you left them near your pitcher of Bear Kool-Aid. Personally I mix mine 50/50 with Tito's Handmade Vodka.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Bearsinhouston

Ratings:
    +1,618 / 6 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    888ß
    I think my wife took them away. She said she was embarrassed when she walked into the bedroom and saw me with my eyes closed wearing ruby red slippers saying "I believe... I believe...."
    • Like Like x 1
  13. dachuckster

dachuckster Veteran SuperFan

Ratings:
    +341 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    173ß
    Mine has been laughing at me. She hasn't seen me this into a Bears draft in a long, long time.
  14. mdbearz

mdbearz Veteran

Ratings:
    +284 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    25ß
    It seems like he was alternating between the safe logical pick and following it up the next round with a "reach with potential" kind of guy.
    • Like Like x 1
  15. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,065 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,137ß
    gotta stop relying on "draft experts" to tell us where guys should go.

http://sulia.com/channel/football/f...prop&source=tw&repost=420&form_factor=desktop

Dan Pompei
    about 17 hours ago

Lot of questions about Bears picks. Here is what scouts have told me about 2nd rounder Ego Ferguson:
    One said he is a "run stuffer with instincts to play the run." He said his pass rush needs development. Another called him a "two gap guy who holds the point and reads." He said he has the strength to anchor and push the pocket. A third said he is a "big, physical kid who still has to find a way to rush the passer," but pointed out he has the power to rush the passer. All three front office men thought Ferguson could go in the second or third round. He also had an ankle issue that concerned some teams.

This goes along w/Gil Brandt, a scout, and 4 scouts he talked to that all said Ego was a late 2nd or early 3rd, the Bears didn't have a pick in that range, so if they couldn't trade back(by Emery's account he's hard to trade with) then they had to take him mid 2nd.

That's 7 scouts in the league, and 1 that's been out of the league for 1 year, totaling 8 that have said Ego was a 2nd-3rd round pick. Also, if the team felt that Sutton could he have in the 3rd, then there is no way for the team to get both Sutton and Ego in the 3rd, and neither were likely to be there in the 4th, so you had to "reach" for one of the 2 in the 2nd.

I would say the same for Carey supposed reach, or Vareen (who was supposedly a 5th-6th round pick). GM's are taking these guys where they think they are appropriate so there has to be a reason. And the GM's and their scouts know 100% of the info, where the experts know about 20% of it, and the fans don't have even a small fraction of that. Shea was a reach b/c he was picked out of position, he was a 3-4 OLB/DE, but a cover 2 4-3 team drafted him to be a 4-3 DE(which failed). Long felt like a reach, but even he didn't think he was going on the 1st day, but again the reality is the GM's know where these guys are likely to go and if Long or Ego are the guy Emery wants, and he knows he won't be there when he picks next, or the guy he wants next won't be there in the following round, and he cannot trade back, then you have to "reach" to get your guy; which really isn't a reach at that point.
  16. abegibronlives

abegibronlives Rookie

Ratings:
    +47 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    23ß
    My 2 cents:

Fuller was a solid, if unspectacular, pick. We need help in the secondary, and he can provide it from day one. It was heart-breaking to see Donald come off the board one pick earlier, and perhaps Fuller was the next best option. I wonder about the two safeties we left on the board, and I hated to see one of them fall to the rivals up north. I hope that doesn't end up biting us down the road.

Sutton could be the key to our draft. I'm higher on him than "Ego", but we'll wait and see how that pans out. Sutton is intriguing.

Fales is a good value pick, although I really liked Logan Thomas. You can't have everything, as one comedian said, where would you put it?
  17. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,248 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    288ß
    My 2 cents:

I have zero problem with the Ego pick. It's easy to say someone is a "reach" or a "shoulda traded back to get him" but that's easier said than done and there's risk of missing altogether involved. If you like him and you don't think its realistic for him to be there when your next pick comes around, you just take him case closed. Ego seems like a Nix jr selection without the knee or weight issues. Mostly a run stuffer with pass rush upside for the future. He's Paea's replacement at 4-3 NT if SP doesn't step up and earn an extension this season which thus far he has not. Thus, I don't mind that he's "raw"...he's a rotational guy this year, not a front line NT most likely.

I was crestfallen about Donald too as pretty much everyone thought he was gonna be ours when he got past Minny and NYG. No way to prove this but if we could crawl inside Phil's head, I'd wager Donald was definitely the no-brainer pick had he fell one spot more. Getting Sutton in 3 (great value pick there IMO) lessened the sting a lot. He's got a good chance to be a helluva a 3T if he stays at his ideal playing weight under 300.

I'm not concerned that GB got Ha-Ha. They desperately needed DB help and Dix fell way way further than expected (incl. past several S-needy teams). That should tell you how GMs really saw him--a good prospect but not a "must have, can't pass up" kind of player. He may end up being really good or he may end being another high round disappointment as has been the case with a number of Alabama DBs the last few years. Since he's now a Packer, I hope he sucks as bad as Kilpatrick has.

Phil got us 2DBs, 2 DLs, and a RB in the first 5 picks and that's pretty much precisely what we needed in a D-heavy priority situation like we were facing. I've even warmed up to the last 3 picks after initially being skeptical of them. And signing Jones as a udfa allayed some of my worries about LB depth.

All in all, I think Emery has done an outstanding job this offseason.
    • Like Like x 3
  18. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,065 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,137ß
    Pretty much agree w/all that MP.
    I do think Emery would have taken Donald, but I think St L did us a real favor by grabbing him b/c the team got the long term answer to Tillman leaving next year, AND got a guy w/as much upside as Donald 2 rounds later.
    I do think they addressed MOST the problems they could address in this draft, and hopefully they'll be able to fill out the rosther after cut downs start to complete what they did(ie LB/TE/S).
  19. Chicago_66

Chicago_66 Veteran

Ratings:
    +374 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    60ß
    Yeah I was I definitely agree about the UDFA's helping out. Some people wanted us to go LB in the 6th or 7th but I'm as happy with Christian Jones and Devekeyan Lattimore as I would have been with any LB's available in those later rounds. I wanted Donald in the line of thinking I wanted a good-great 3tech, I didn't really care if it was Donald or someone else so once we secured Sutton in the third I had zero qualms about Fuller in the first. In fact knowing we did get Sutton in the third I don't think there's anyone I'd rather have had in the first. I like Pryor but corner is more valuable and I'm hoping we don't see a pick near 14 again, time to start drafting in the late 20s.. preferably pick number 32. Good post MP.
  20. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,248 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    288ß
    I think what tips the balance in favor of CB here (even if the two players were thought to be equally good) is the fact that if you have to you can "buy" a decent starting safety in FA a lot more cheaply than you can a CB.
    • Like Like x 1