Chicago Bears 2014 Draft

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by jackiejokeman, Jan 15, 2014.

1. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +628 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    515ß
    interesting they have Niklas going in rd 1. Granted NE needs a TE to replace Aaron Hernandez but first time I seen Niklas in rd 1
  2. jackiejokeman

jackiejokeman Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +185 / 2 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    292ß
    And what does that tell you about Grontkowski ? Who has been injured the last two years.
  3. jackiejokeman

jackiejokeman Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +185 / 2 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    292ß
    1) Jernigan or Donald (DT)
    2) Ward (SS)
    3) Borland (MLB)
    4) EJ Gaines (CB)
    5) Taylor Hart (DE) or Ellis (DT)
    6a) Hurst , Britt (OT)
    6b) Ikard , Larsen (C)

How does that look ?
  4. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,740 / 3 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,306ß
    This is only Mock v1.0. NFP did 12 last year so we'll see more shifting around as we get closer to D-Day.
  5. little bear

little bear Assistant Head Coach

Ratings:
    +695 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    401ß
    C.J. Mosley to the Packers is a scary thought.
  6. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +445 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    48ß
    I can pretty much see the first 13 picks going how the mock Soul posted. Only real shift I see coming is between Dix, Pryor, and Donald. One or more will be there when we pick so I do not think this is a very complex pick for Phil. Only wrench that could be thrown in is having Donald gone and selecting between Dix, Pryor or go fishing for a guy like Jernigan or Denard.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,740 / 3 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,306ß
    I think there's a pretty good chance Dix will go Grizz. He may not be quite up to the levels of some of the top Safeties from the last decade but he played at "Bama" and he's good enough to warrant a top ten pick if someone really needs a Safety bad enough. I think he's a bit of a wild card in that top ten or twelve. Some have Pryor rated higher but I still think of the two Dix will go first.

I'd be surprised to see Donald taken before us only because most the teams who use a 3 tech draft behind us. I suppose Detroit is a possibility because they don't seem too happy with Fairley right now but it's Suh whose really they're 3 tech guy and anyway they seem to like bigger guys. Because of his size Donald is still gonna be seen as a risk by some GMs and because he's strictly a one position guy.

To me there's no doubt that his best fit is with the Bears because size matters less than strength and quickness on that line. Even Ratliff is just 300lbs as a NT who can also play 3 tech. Collins and Paea are a little under 300lbs. If by chance someone does grab Donald I think Emery would settle for Jernigan. He's the next man up. He's more of a power guy than a penetrator but he can still play 3 tech.
  8. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +445 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    48ß

I agree with everything above soul. If emery judges Jerrigan to be worth the 14 pick I have no problem with him. To be honest I am slightly leery that Donald is a better player than Jerrigan. I give him a slight edge because he is a perfect fit for our need. Jerrigan was consistently a force thru college and flat out took over some games (Miami, Clemson) and I think will be a solid nfl player. I have backed off talking about him because I am prolly a bit biased. I am curious what will happen if Dix and Donald are gone and Emery is picking between Pryor and Jerrigan.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. jackiejokeman

jackiejokeman Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +185 / 2 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    292ß
    It all sounds well and good but lets be thinking this way ... who traded up to get Alshon ?

If Donald and Jerrigan can be got by trading up ... you just built your interior.

What does that leave over ? Safety. How many draft picks surrenderd for players not needed ?

Its DT and safety. What do you give away in order to trade up ?

Sombodys going to be bitting at the bit for our two 6th rounders.

Lets make a deal.
  10. jackiejokeman

jackiejokeman Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +185 / 2 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    292ß
    How do you take a score of music and pick out the best for CHICAGO BEARS ?

I like the drums. Flutes ok also. I still like the drums ...Soulman it just seems soooo ... CHICAGO BEARS.

You can just see us wasting anyone that gets in our way.

11. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,740 / 3 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,306ß
    Hmmmmmm........good question. It's kind of a tossup but I'd say he'd take Jernigan unless he believes he can get Quarles later on.

You made a comment in another post about Allen and to the best of my knowledge he hasn't signed and said he won't unless he gets his price. If the Bears could structure the deal so that the 2014 cap cost was similar to what Peppers is ($3.5 mil) then they be foolish not to stay in the hunt. Peps cap hit rises dramatically in 2015 ($12 mil) but that's still a hell of a lot less than he was costing us and Allen is two years younger so for the price Pep signed for I'd think he'd be worth a shot.

Emery freed up that cap space for something we just don't know what but he's always full of surprises. I don't see him giving Allen what Ware got but if he could slide him in with something like Pep got it's doable if he wants him badly enough. Now, if by chance he does get Allen then maybe he passes on Donald, takes Pryor "the intimidator" and shoots for Quarles in round two. He keeps saying he's in a win now mode and if that's the case you need veteran impact players in the mix.

What a counter move that would be huh? GB steals Pep and we bring in Allen whose the only other DE in the NFCN whose a flat out better pass rusher than Pep. I don't really think it's gonna happen but I can't help but thinking that it's at least on their minds if the price is right.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. jackiejokeman

jackiejokeman Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +185 / 2 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    292ß
    Soulman on the outside of the curve Im hoping for 2 DT's. But lets be real.

This may appease fellow BEARS fans.

This one may just jack up your ears ... what are freinds for ?

It comes on silent .. enjoy.

• Like Like x 1
  13. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,740 / 3 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,306ß
    :13_4_9[1]:

Way too polite and girly man style jackie. They're the Chicago "Fuckin" Bears not the Chicago Ballerinas. ;) :rofl2:

You need horns, a thumping bass line and a wailing guitar. Try Sam and Dave's "Soulman". That one is kinda close to my heart. :D

:13_4_9[1]:
    • Like Like x 1
  14. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,740 / 3 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,306ß
    Now that's more like it. Love the old 'Mac with Peter Green and Danny Kirwan. Do you know who eventually ended up with Peter Green's Les Paul? Gary Moore. Now there's another rockin' ass blues player who could do justice to it.
  15. jackiejokeman

jackiejokeman Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +185 / 2 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    292ß
    Soulman,

We better knock it off or we'll get booted. Throw up one last one and lets move this to a music forum.

If there arent any make one ... lemme know where its at. My last one.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2014
  16. GibsonMcQueen

GibsonMcQueen Rookie

Ratings:
    +28 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Given Green Bays biggest need arguably is Safety and given I've seen a few mock drafts that suggest pryor could end up at green bay. If Donald and Pryor were both on the board at 14, you could nearly argue that Pryor could be the better pick as it kills two birds with one stone; stopping green bay from getting one of the top two (and theres a drop off after the top 2) at their need position, safety, while also fixing one of the worst positions on our roster.

Just a different way of thinking about it, but I have always been rather passive agressive and conniving.
    • Like Like x 4
  17. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,740 / 3 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,306ß
    I know I'm replying to my own post but my speculation about this last night posting back to Grizz worked out. We don't have all the details yet but I think we can assume Allen agreed to a pretty cap friendly deal for 2014 and then gets a bigger bump next year when the cap is supposed to bump another $8-$10 mil.

This sure makes the Bears pick more of a mystery now since it puts a FS and a MLB back in play. Although if he does take Donald think about what that might mean as far as the pass rush goes. Now he doesn't need Austen Lane or Trevor Scott AND Izzy and between Bass and Washington maybe only one makes the final roster.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +445 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    48ß
    With the Allen signing I am leaning a bit towards wanting Dix or Pryor at 14 if they can grade out to match the impact of what Donald could do. I say this because we have a ton of flexibility and competition at DT. Houston COULD move to 3 if paea and Collins can't get it done, plus a likely rookie. At saftey we have very little competition as Conte and Mundy will likely be the starters. Now don't get me wrong, if Donald is called ill still be estatic, I'm a firm believer that if a qb is on his back then it dosent matter who's in coverage.

I'll admit I don't know nearly te detail of the safety position that I do when it comes to the box play. Anyone have some detailed analysis on those 2 safeties? Are they day one starter material?
    • Like Like x 1
  19. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,740 / 3 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,306ß
    Spoken like a true follower of the great Buddy Ryan. Put a "time clock" on them or put 'em on their backs. With that pass rush and those LBs who could blitz the Bears played a lot more man coverage with single FS and the SS in the box to take the gap of the blitzer. It's just damn hard to pass up an elite rusher no matter how many you may have which means if there is a 4-3 team ahead of us it's 50/50 he may be gone just as you say.

Not very detailed but Mundy is starter material. So far in his career he's had the misfortune to play behind two really good Safety duos both at Pitt and in NY so he's been the primary backup at both SS and FS. When he got his shot last year he played pretty well. His stats aren't super impressive but he's got nice size and he's a sure tackler so he's an upgrade over Wright and almost a sure starter at SS or FS.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Ryan Mundy # DB
    Chicago Bears | Official Team Site
    Height: 6-1 Weight: 209 Age: 29
    Born: 2/11/1985 Pittsburgh , PA
    College: West Virginia
    Experience: 6th season
    High School: Woodland Hills HS [Pittsburgh, PA]

Recent Games more
    WKOPPRESULTTacklesInterceptionsFumbles
    CombTotalAstSckSFTYPDefIntYdsAvgLngTDsFF
    15[​IMG] SEA L 0-23 7521.0--0----0.0----0
    16[​IMG] @DET W 23-20 10550.0--0----0.0----0
    17[​IMG] WAS W 20-6 1100.0--0----0.0----0
    Career Stats more
    SeasonTeamTacklesInterceptionsFumbles
    GGSCombTotalAstSckSFTYPDefIntYdsAvgLngTDsFF
    2013New York Giants 16 9 7750271.0--219191.09100
    2012Pittsburgh Steelers 16 3 393180.0--2----0.0----0
    2011Pittsburgh Steelers 16 0 3720170.0--1155.0500
    2010Pittsburgh Steelers 16 2 292360.0--4----0.0----0
    2009Pittsburgh Steelers 16 0 251780.0--1----0.0----0
    TOTAL207141661.0010296--9100

I see that Jennings kid out of GB more as a STeams "Gunner" and FS depth. He's quite a bit more suspect right now but who knows how he'll do with a better defense in front of him. The Packers defense was nothing to brag about. If the Packers were trying to upgrade him what does that tell you?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    M.D. Jennings # DB
    Chicago Bears | Official Team Site
    Height: 6-0 Weight: 187 Age: 25
    Born: 7/25/1988 Grenada , MS
    College: Arkansas State
    Experience: 4th season
    High School: Calhoun City HS [MS]
    TCKL
    SCK
    FF
    INT
    --
    Recent Games more
    WKOPPRESULTTacklesInterceptionsFumbles
    CombTotalAstSckSFTYPDefIntYdsAvgLngTDsFF
    15[​IMG] @DAL W 37-36 2110.0--0----0.0----0
    16[​IMG] PIT L 31-38 4220.0--0----0.0----0
    17[​IMG] @CHI W 33-28 6510.0--0----0.0----0
    Career Stats more
    SeasonTeamTacklesInterceptionsFumbles
    GGSCombTotalAstSckSFTYPDefIntYdsAvgLngTDsFF
    2013Green Bay Packers 16 16 7456181.001----0.0----0
    2012Green Bay Packers 16 10 5239130.00217272.072T10
    2011Green Bay Packers 15 0 7520.0--0----0.0----0
    TOTAL133100331.003172--7210
  20. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,708 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    675ß
    unfortunately therre is no "elite" players at 14, just a whole lot of good players, if there were any "elites" it'd be a fairly easy to trade back like the team wants, which is why you hope that one of the "elite", figure to be top 5-8, somehow drop to 14.