Chicago Bears 2014 Draft

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by jackiejokeman, Jan 15, 2014.

1. jackiejokeman

jackiejokeman Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +170 / 1 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    141ß
    Now that we have Jared Allen ... do we just cut every DE that we already signed in FA?

Or have they now become camp fodder ?

Looks like its more and more DT and Safety in the draft. (not in that order)
  2. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,470 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    720ß
    Why? We rotate 4 or them and maybe it's the four we signed last and that includes Allen, Izzy, Young and Houston. That's a pretty formidable quartet. The odd men out may well be Lane and Scott and maybe Bass or Washington, one or the other. At any rate they probably won't release anyone right now because there's no need to.

And I'd agree with you that DT and FS are probably at the top of the list as far as the first two rounds do. Let's hope it all falls in our favor.
  3. jackiejokeman

jackiejokeman Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +170 / 1 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    141ß
    Well Soulman we now have 10 (count em) DE's on the roster.

And if you wanted to count McClellin that would make 11.

Theres a music thread at the "Anything But Football "forum.

See you there.
  4. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +417 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    26ß
    Thats the only way I would not be royally pissed if we traded back, if somehow an "elite" level guy fell to us and Emery could hardball them into a lobsided trade-up. This would prolly require multiple teams calling us wanting that pick.

Sense we have plenty (too much) time to debate all possible scenarios, lets pretend that Bridgewater, Manziel, Evans, Barr (one of them not all) fall to us at 14.

Emery's phone would be very likely be blowing up, with mid-late round teams who are interested in moving to 14. (skip next section if you don't want to read a wild scenario that has about a 1% chance of actually happening)

Scenario: Dix and Donald both went top 10, Pryor went 12 or 13. This pushed Barr to us at 14 as all the 3-4 teams in the top 13 went other position. We have no need for him but these GMs and their minions all talk, word has gotten out that pick 14 is up for auction (for Barr). Emery can blackball the teams expressing interest, basically saying this is what it will cost you take it or leave it. Hopefully a team that has the ammo would bite the bullet and move on this if they REALLY thought Barr was going to be a huge player for them. This is the only kind of trade down I would want to see, as extremely unlikely as it is just look what happened to Floyd last year. Don't think it will happen, not expecting it to happen, just throwing out the only possible way I see us moving from pick 14.

Now back to reality: I expect that the pick will be Donald, Pryor/Dix. I'm really not sure how Emery could surprise us this year considering our needs and the players ranked behind the ones expected. Only, "Reach"or "hmm, wow" pick I can fathom would be Jernigan or Hageman. Other than that I guess I could see him go fishing for a later projected corner, but I seriously doubt it. I know we have gotten used to expecting the unexpected with Emery, but sense we are drafting 6 spots higher this year I don't think any of us will be shocked. In fact, when we go on the clock judging by who is on the board I bet if you gave anyone on here 2 guesses they could name who was about to be called. Any shake up or shocks will prolly come later. What I have come to realize is Emery approaches pretty much all aspects of his job guns blazing and I don't think anything is out of the question. Trade ups later? Who knows. Only thing that we do know is if Emery thinks he has a shot at getting "his guy" wherever or whenever that may be he goes at it with a pitbull mentality and takes no prisoners. In fact, here is how I picture Emery when he thinks he has a shot at "his guy":14_6_12[1]::14_6_16[1]::shoot:
    • Like Like x 1
  5. jackiejokeman

jackiejokeman Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +170 / 1 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    141ß
    What projections Im seeing is all three of the top 3 DT's fall our way.

Pryor/Dix may be gone but we should be running the DT spot.
    That being said and we need a Safety ... now what ?
  6. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,470 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    720ß
    Well you can make a case for both Houston and Izzy being versatile enough to move to DT in certain scenarios and Izzy is most definitely the front runner as a utility guy and makes Lane and Scott more expendable provided he beats them both out which I believe he will.

Allen and Young will share some time at RDE with Young getting some snaps at LDE too so if you take those four as the top of the rotation we have far better depth than we did last year. Between Bass and Washington I'm betting only one sticks around.........UNLESS they decide to go with fewer OLinemen. There's the opening for keeping both if both show some progress.

Last year we kept both Scott and Britton as backup linemen. Scott is gone and it looks like they'd like to bring Britton back. At least I get that impression from what Trestman has said. Both Britton and Brown can backup at OG Britton can also play RT and conceivably Brown could backup at LT. That would open one more roster spot for a DE.

It also depends on how many TEs to carry and how many QBs and RBs. The bottom line is there may be quite a few guys on the bubble not so much because of their play but because of how they decide to structure the roster. They would normally keep 8 DLineman, 4 DTs and 4 DEs but if they really like what they see out of Bass and Washington because of their age maybe both make the final 53.
  7. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,470 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    720ß
    We still have seven picks in six rounds so we should be able to find one somewhere in there, no? Personally I don't see the need for taking a Safety over a pass rushing DT in round one but Phil has never called to ask for my opinion so I figure he doesn't want or need it. But based on his pursuit of some Safety depth and a starter in FA, AND the fact that he let Melton go, you have to figure he'd gonna try to replace him in the draft because that makes the most sense. It's pretty much down to those two spots and what player is at the top of his board at #14.
  8. a_miljan

a_miljan Veteran

Ratings:
    +265 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    26ß
    Its DT in round 1, I believe, we need 1 young DT, but Phil is bat shit-crazy, he could go O in first
  9. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,470 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    720ß
  10. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,470 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    720ß
    I doubt it. In his first two drafts he took players at the exact positions he had the greatest need for; DE/McClellin, and OG/Long. I don't think he'll break with that. He doesn't need any one position on offense as badly as he need a DT and a FS and probably the DT more than the FS.
  11. a_miljan

a_miljan Veteran

Ratings:
    +265 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    26ß
    Ur right, I would take a DT, but i must admit, there is no chance, but if any of this guys land I would be tempted - Bortles, Watkins, Ebron, Robinson, Mack
  12. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,470 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    720ß
    I would hope none of those guys would tempt him. That offense was the second most productive in the NFL last year even without Cutler playing in six games and in it's first year under Trestman. His entire playbook hasn't even been installed and Cutler is still learning it. This is the second year of the three years he claimed it would take to master all of it and I for one believe him. Aaron Rodgers would probably confirm that as well. He got to learn it playing behind Favre for three years before he took over and to me that's one of the reasons for his success.

After handing out that new deal to Cutler the Bears wouldn't also pay Bortles the kind or money a top fifteen pick would make. With two of the best WRs in the NFL and a couple of young competitors for the slot Watkins wouldn't get as many snaps as he'd get with another team. He'd be a very expensive luxury too and there's zero chance he'd fall from the top ten. Robinson is a great prospect but our needs aren't that great for an OT right now and he won't fall out of the top ten either.

Mack and Ebron are interesting players but only one is a true fit right now. Emery isn't ready to give up on McClellin yet so he envisions him playing the exact same position. Unless he believed McClellin would fail, or he had failed, Mack would also be an expensive luxury after having spent all that $$$ on 3 DEs to help provide a pass rush and control the edge. But Ebron is an interesting possibility because we do need depth at TE. But with Bennett having a record year coupled with Trestman's offense and the number of great pass catchers we already have I don't see the need for another at his level although I could see him taking one after the 2nd or 3rd round.

What I do see is the temptation to move back a few spots if someone made him an incredible offer for that pick and he believed he could still get one of "his guys" but I also believe the likelihood of that is slim.
  13. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +417 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    26ß
    Ok, this is another I'm not beating the drum for, nor do I think there is a snowballs chance in hell it happens but I'll throw it out there for discussion. What if Lovie takes Donald at 6 or wherever there drafting, Dix goes 9 and Pryor 13, leaving Bortles, Bridgewater, or Manziel on the board at 14. It would not be unfathomable for us to take one and try to follow the Aaron Rodgers mold GB had. This would clearly require Trestman to be jumping up and down screaming that he was sure of whoever it was. We are set to take a qb somewhere because I'm not sold on Palmer being qb2 and likely starting for an injured cutler at some point. QB position is something you must be proactive on not reactive and if Treatman was absolutely sold on a guy it would give them valuable time to develop and would be a good insurance policy for injury prone Cutler. Just tossing it out there for convorsations sake.
  14. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,480 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    299ß
    Grizz, I have no doubt that if that happened the Bears would trade back w/the Browns or Houston or someone else who would be looking to move backup. I'd point out that Pitt could be looking for a replacement to Big Ben in the next 2-3 years, Romo isn't exactly known as healthy and Jones would love to have Manziel sitting on the bench to sell jersey's, potentially 1 of those 3 sitting on the board after the Bears pick. I'm certain you could get one to bite at the chance to move up.

If not, then I still think the team would grab the best DT or DE available, Hageman, Ealy, Tuitt, Nix. Rogers was still taken in the 20's, and not a top 15 pick; and I am still not enthralled w/any of those 3 qb's.
  15. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +417 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    26ß
    I would be perfectly ok with us taking one as long as Trestman really though he could develop into the guy. I think pulling the trigger or trading the pick would actually be Trestmans decision not Emery's
  16. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,480 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    299ß
    Might well be, but for a guy that loves the idea of trading back having even one of those 3 qb's on the board would be a HUGE boon for the Bears ability to pull the tradeback trigger.

Of the 3 I would hope they took Bortles, who stands the least amount of a chance of being lost to injury.
    • Like Like x 1
  17. latorreedgar

latorreedgar Rookie

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    I really hope the Bears could trade back but if they can't they need to go with
    1. Ha HA Clinton Dix
    2. Kelcy Quarles DT
    3. Keith McGill CB
    • Like Like x 1
  18. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +998 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    28ß
    There's going to be endless speculation about the draft including fanciful scenarios which have 2% chance of actually panning out. Draft weekend can't get here soon enough IMO. I've seen mocks which range from the logical to the bizarre at the #14 pick. The latest Gabriel mock is the latter--we aren't drafting Kyle Fuller at 14. That would be beyond dumb.

We aren't going to/shouldn't draft a CB in the 1st. He would have zero chance of starting with 2 CBs on the roster who are both 2-time pro-bowlers with one being a Bears legend...and the draft is deep in quality corners. Everyone loves to point to the anachronistic example of Aaron Rodgers but 1st round picks--especially top-15 picks--aren't drafted to sit on the bench for a year or two. Not gonna happen.

We are drafting a week 1 STARTER at #14 and that means DT, S, or maybe just maybe ILB. and the best "bang for the buck" both immediately and for the future is DT.
  19. Ojibway Bob

Ojibway Bob Veteran SuperFan

Ratings:
    +81 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    11ß
    Well Johnny football had a good pro day so hopefully he goes up in stock which would give us a good solid choice at 14 or make it harder to choose lol
  20. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +417 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    26ß

Agree with green and disagree with red. I think QB is the only position that you would draft this high and not expect to start. The reason for this is the impact the position has and the impact it will have on your team if a guy is learning on the fly. And in our position, I will argue that if we take a qb anywhere it is likely he will end up starting games at some point this year with Cutler's injury past.