Chicago Bears 2014 Draft

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by jackiejokeman, Jan 15, 2014.

1. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,872 / 6 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,627ß
    Not at #14. Not if it was me playing GM.
  2. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +450 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    59ß
    Not advocating for it, but we all know Emery likes to pull rabbits on day one of the draft. I still like Logan Thomas in the 4th or 5th as a extremely high ceiling guy that we could let Trestman get his hands on to correct his flaws. At some point however we likely will have to take a qb high and I wouldn't rule it out of Emery mad scientist mind that if one drops its an opportunity that we may not get in the near future again to get a high quality guy.
  3. jackiejokeman

jackiejokeman Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +192 / 2 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    365ß
    Sorry I couldnt make this any larger[​IMG]
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2014
  4. jackiejokeman

jackiejokeman Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +192 / 2 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    365ß
    NFL HISTORY ... How come its at where its at today ?

Crowtons idea was all "air Coryall" all the time ...
    trouble was that when you emptied the backfield ,
    Defense knew what to key on.

You wanna play 5 and six WR's?
    No problem ... we will just bring ST'ers off the bench to cover them.

You dont have a running attack ? Good, that means we can rest LB's for next weeks game.

MARV LEVY may have figured it out with BUFFALO in 1990 ...
    the run and shoot (Mouse Davis), the ALWAYS two minute drill ,
    the no huddle offense ... it all looked GREAT on paper and it WORKED!

Until the BILLS went up against PARCELLS ...

BALL CONTROL and DEFENSE ... in the SUPERBOWL.

All of Marv Levy's ideas came to a halt with a missed field goal ...
    otherwise all teams would be playing that style today.

So what DO we have today ? A hybrid.

Seattles crushing DEFENSE ... Denvers unreal OFFENSE.

CHICAGO BEARS have to fit to be WINNERS.

CHICAGO BEARS ... Fifth in scoring last year with a 31 ranked defense.

And we know where its at ... NOBODY on this board has even hinted about drafting offense ...

and HALAS HALL has heard your call with FA signings.

LETS GET IT AWN IN THE DRAFT !!
  5. jackiejokeman

jackiejokeman Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +192 / 2 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    365ß
    The more you find out ,the more you change your mind about what to draft ...

1) Donald (DT)

2) Jimmie Ward (FS/SS)

3) E.J.Gaines (CB)

4) Chris Borland (MLB)

5) James Hurst or Justin Britt (OT)

6a) Stork , Larsen , Ikard , Bodine (C)

6b) Jalen Saunders (WR)

Probably will undergo 10 more changes before May 8th.
  6. jackiejokeman

jackiejokeman Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +192 / 2 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    365ß
    TEST 03-31-2014 3:44 PST
  7. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,872 / 6 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,627ß
    Looks like Bortles and Bridgewater may go in the top five and you couldn't give me Manziel as a cleat cleaner or the guy that runs out to pick up the kicking tee after a kickoff. I think the kid is gonna struggle to make it as a pro.
  8. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,872 / 6 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,627ß
    No question we've improved and made a quantum leap by adding Allen to the mix. Maybe the most interesting thing is that despite more sacks McClellin was a better overall rusher than Pep. Knowing how much stock Emery puts into these numbers it's not all that surprising he decided to swap Pep out for a better RDE. McClellin should do far better coming from LB in a two point stance than he ever did at DE.
  9. a_miljan

a_miljan Veteran

Ratings:
    +291 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    96ß
    not bad, not bad at all... i believe there is a consensus our first 4 picks should be (not in the proper order): CB, DT, LB, S
  10. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +450 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    59ß
    I think when it's all said and done none will make it out of the top 7. I have to disagree with Manziel however, his only knock is how quickly he gave up on the progression and took off with the ball in college. A&M I think used this as a staple of the offense and judging from his interviews, he being encouraged to do just that. He seems to have good football IQ and I think that with the right coaching and being put on a decent team, he will learn to win from the pocket first. Now, if he goes to the Browns or Vikes hes as good as dead as I'm sure he will be forced to resort to old habits.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,872 / 6 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,627ß
    I'd prefer the taller CB like McGill, Jean-Baptiste or Aikens but the scouting report on Gaines is complimentary as far as being a zone type CB.

What do you all think of Chris Borland as a MLB prospect. But the say he's instinctive, tackles well, and plays in coverage as good as any LB in the draft. I don't know how far down he'll slide because of his measurables and speed but he seems to me like a better MLB prospect than Mosley who I think if he's drafted by a 4-3 team will play OLB.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,872 / 6 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,627ß
    Like your thinking but I still wouldn't want him. This kid has an unbelievable following of hangers on and an entourage all telling him just how great and how special he is. It's almost like Tebow only Manziel has far more skills a thrower. I also think he's more about Johnny Manziel than he is about playing winning football. Like I said before, he'll be looking for his first "Flutie Flakes" deal before the ink is dry on his contract. This is not a kid you want on the Bears with Cutler as the star QB.
  13. a_miljan

a_miljan Veteran

Ratings:
    +291 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    96ß
    Borland could last till 3rd, like him too
  14. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,872 / 6 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,627ß
    I would love a combination of Donald, Ward and Borland. Like you I'm a little concerned about depth but more so at MLB than OLB. I think McClellin will wrap up SLB and Bostic will move to WLB to work on replacing Briggs. This may be it for him after this year.
  15. a_miljan

a_miljan Veteran

Ratings:
    +291 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    96ß
    i agree 100% those would be my fantasy draft, quarles or baptiste can be thrown somewhere too
  16. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,872 / 6 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,627ß
    You really need to lay of those uppers jackie. They're bad for your heart. :bah:
  17. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +450 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    59ß
    I've been a Borland fan for a while now. It dosent cost us a top 2 pick where we likely will be starter fishing. He was kind of quietly the rock in Wis. defense. Not flashy but solid all around. His knock is his lack of elite athletic ability, but if were scraping the Lovie 2 where our mike drops 25 yards down the field this should be okay. He's a solid run stuffer and fills holes to take on blocks very well. Eventually, with Shea and Bostic next to him he dosent need elite playmaking ability, rather just be solid and consistently do his job. He can be the engine that runs the defense while Shea and Bostic make the "wow" plays.
  18. jackiejokeman

jackiejokeman Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +192 / 2 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    365ß
    Soul

Just looked at that spreadsheet I threw up again. Without Izzy ... Young ,Houston,Allen as three, outrun what

Bass,McClellin,Peppers,Wooten did as four. Uh Oh for Izzy.

What if we added Donald ... Ward ... Gaines ...Borland in the draft ?

The idea is to make Rodgers ,Kapernick,Wilson, run for their lives.

Theyve been doing it to us long enuff.
  19. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,872 / 6 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,627ß
    But if you read his scouting report they say he's actually good in coverage. I think he can drop but his lack of height makes him much easier to throw over. That's OK though because with teams playing so many 3 WR sets one LB comes off the field anyway. What I like most about him is that he's a Bears type of player. A "Grabowski. Mike Singletary with some pass coverage skills. I don't think this kid is gonna drop very far. He rates as a 3rd or 4th but he may not last that long or at least until #82. Personally I think he fit us better as a MLB prospect to groom behind DWill than spending a number one on Mosley.

Chris Borland – Linebacker – Wisconsin
    Size –
    5113 – 248 – 4.83
    Strong Points – Very productive, instincts, shed, defense run, pass drop, zone coverage, effective pass blitzer

Weak Points – Height, very short arms, will miss some tackles because of his short arms, average timed speed, man coverage

2013 Stats – 112 total tackles, 8.5 tackles for loss, four sacks

Summation – Chris is a fifth-year senior and a three-and-a-half-year starter for the Badgers. He started the last half of his freshman year in 2009 but then got injured in game three of 2010 and took an injury redshirt. He was a starter from 2011 – 2013. He played the Will linebacker position for Wisconsin in 2013.

Borland is very instinctive and very productive. He is the consummate overachiever. When you look at him, you say that he is not supposed to make the plays that he does. He is short wth short arms and has very average speed. Still, he is athletic and explosive with very good short area quickness and change of direction. His instincts and reactions are so good that it allows him to play much faster than he times.
    When playing the inside run, he is quick to react and fill. While he can be slow to shed blocks at times because of his short arms, he is able to slip or avoid blocks with his quickness. He has a great feel for plays and is always around the ball. When playing the outside run, he shows very good anticipation and has the lateral agility and quickness to get to the play.

While he has a large number of tackles, he will miss some because he can’t consistently wrap-up with his short arms. He is a hitter and is very competitive.

In pass coverage, he is best in zone. He takes good drops, getting depth, and has good receiver awareness. He can struggle some in man coverage because he lacks the size and speed to consistently stay with bigger players. As a blitzer, he is effective because he can avoid blocks and times his blitz well.

If Boreland were a little taller and had longer arms he would be a first round pick. While he lacks the ideal physical traits to play at the next level, he is an outstanding football player. In the right situation, he can be a starter and will be productive. Don’t ever count this kid out. He just has too much competitive fire!
  20. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +450 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    59ß

Sold! I think too much is made of small things like arms, hands, ect. Do they help? sure. But having arms that are one inch shorter than ideal really effect your ability to be a great player? No. I just don't buy it. Give me a guy who finds the ball and is in the correct position over the guy who doesn't have the instincts and finds themselves out of position. Unless that guys arms are 20 feet long it doesn't matter.