Chicago Bears 2014 Draft

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by jackiejokeman, Jan 15, 2014.

1. jackiejokeman

jackiejokeman Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +161 / 1 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    75ß
    Like McClellin ? Nyuk !
  2. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,385 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    512ß
    Come on jackie, that's a cheap shot and you know it. McClellin was never built to play LDE in a 3 pt. stance. Go back and look at his college tapes. He's a very instinctive player with great foot speed. If you can get a 320lb OT out of his face a split second after the snap he can play pretty well, or at least he has. Now that Emery has finally come to his senses let's see how it goes this year before we pass final judgment.
  3. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,385 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    512ß
    Based solely on his size and measurable Mike Singletary should never have become a HOF MLB. Compared to guys like Butkus and Urlacher he was a midget but nobody I've ever seen play that position was ever any smarter or more intuitive. Shoot, London Fletcher was a great MLB at 5'9" and 225lbs.
  4. Ojibway Bob

Ojibway Bob Veteran SuperFan

Ratings:
    +80 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    I would like to see how McLellin plays the Mike...someone posted that and mentioned almost same size as Lach, and i know he doesnt have the coverage experience like Lach had but hey.....if he can play DE......... hahah
  5. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,385 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    512ß
    He's an inch shorter and 10lbs lighter than Brian played at but there speed and agility numbers at the Combine were very similar. Both played rover type positions in college but Urlacher played more of a Safety/Monster Back role and McClellin was more of a LB/Rushbacker. They were both used as search and destroy types in college too.

I think they'll have him playing some MLB in camp and evaluate him there. Who knows what it may lead to. When Urlacher arrived they put him at SLB with the thought of using him as pseudo DE and having him rush on passing downs. It wasn't working out very well either and then when the MLB got hurt they moved him to MLB and that was the last he ever played any other position. So maybe McClellin just hasn't found his particular niche yet.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. beardownzona

beardownzona Rookie

Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1st round- Trade back and draft- CB Darqueze Dennard CB Michigan St.

2nd round- RB Ka'deem Carey University of Arizona

3rd round- DT Will Sutton Arizona State
  7. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,385 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    512ß

Welcome to the board. You like those Arizona guys huh? ;)

Dennard will probably be the first or second CB taken. There's a real good chance he won't even last 'til #14. If he did you'd probably need to take him there.

The second round is too high for a RB. Those higher picks need to be spent on defense. I think more like the 5th or 6th round is where they might take a RB. There are a ton of them who will still be on the board then and as UDFAs.

But Sutton is a possibility if they don't draft a DT earlier. He's seen as kind or a boom or bust guy but in the 3rd or 4th round he's probably worth the risk.
  8. beardownzona

beardownzona Rookie

Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Thanks! But true, first 3 rounds should be focused on defense. If Donald is not on the board:

1st- Dennard or Gilbert
    2nd- Jimmie Ward
    3rd- Will Sutton

I see Sutton being a boom especially with our revamped D-line and with the leadership there, the ceiling is high for this kid.
  9. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +414 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    23ß
    Dennard will have to be had at 14. I think he's a great player but we are probably looking for a CB at 6'1 ideally. Dennard is only 5'10 so he will struggle to guard the bigger WRs (such as Calvin.) Jennings is small too so after Tillman we may have a big problem with Bigger WRs (6'4+) Likely Frey would do alot of covering the bigger guys to prevent one on one jump balls like our offense likes to do to smaller CBs. With a very talented guy we can get away with a smaller guy but limits what we can do scheme wise against guys like CJ.

Contrary to alot of people's thought I wouldn't mind a surprise RB drafted high if we get the right guy.

Welcome to the Board!
  10. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,385 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    512ß
    I'd go for that but rather have Dix than either of the CBs if Donald is gone. Unfortunately, I don't think any of those three DBs will be there. Dix is a slight possibility but very slight. As it stands the biggest danger of Donald going maybe to the Giants but they also need a WR badly and if they took at DT I think they'd be looking for a bigger NT type.

Jimmie Ward is a guy I'd like to see them get in two because of his versatility and then I'd be down with Sutton or a MLB in round three and four depending on how it breaks in those later rounds. Sutton is kind of a poor man's Aaron Donald and despite some of his shortcomings he has value in the middle rounds if he lasts that long. We need a 3 tech DT and he's probably one of the top four or five pure DT types. Always tough to figure things out after the first two because guys move up and down a lot in those rounds.
  11. jackiejokeman

jackiejokeman Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +161 / 1 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    75ß
    BDZ,

Welcome aboard a BEARS ship on defense that is trying to right itself after being the worst in franchise history !

I still cant believe that actually happened.

Anyways no matter what happens in the draft it better be nothing but defense in the first 4 rounds.

Hell I'd keep going in rounds 5 and 6a and 6b if thats what it takes.

CHICAGO BEARS ... fifth highest scoring OFFENSE in 2013.

Thats not broke ... no need to fix it.

If we had a DEFENSE like in years past that took the ball away and gave it back to OFFENSE ...

the OFFENSE is more then ready to shred opponents.

What was 2013? A rebuilding fluke with all the money it took to rebuild the offense.

Now all the money is needed for defense in 2014 . And with that gentlemen ... what do we have ?

Can you say complete TEAM? And lets be real ... alotta guys signed so far are STers.

So that rounds out the triad.
  12. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,385 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    512ß
    I don't mind any of the top guys as long as we can start them somewhere. I cannot see taking a player at that spot period who will sit for a year when we still need starters at FS and DT. It SHOULD be one of those two positions. The players who will sit and eventually become the core guys in the future defense are guy we take in the 3rd and 4th rounds. Good teams want their first two picks to have a shot at starting.
  13. jackiejokeman

jackiejokeman Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +161 / 1 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    75ß
    Yep ... the days of the old Angelo/Lovie im going to hire him and develop him days are over ...

and how many of them turned out OK anyways ? Not much.

Look at the WR coach we had and what he drafted that was let loose to other teams ... CRIMMINAL !

Whatever happened to Daryl Drake anyways ?

IMPACT DAY ONE ! So WHO just sent a LONG to the PRO-BOWL ?

Thats where we have to pick it up at ... this time DEFENSE.
  14. jackiejokeman

jackiejokeman Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +161 / 1 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    75ß
    Just for Ski ... an update of the same old joke !

15. jackiejokeman

jackiejokeman Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +161 / 1 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    75ß
    If you had a CHICAGO BEARS team and it pretty muched SUCKED as the worst team in BEARS history at DEFENSE ...

where would you go with this ? Anywhere is up.

Defensive Tackle ...for starters

Safety

Now this is where it gets interesting ... do we go with CB OR ... another DT?

You usually like to see them brought in as a pair

But the fourth ... LB?

What about the fifth ? Where do we go ?

CB ?

Do we jack it up and go all Defense with 6a and 6b ?

When it comes to OFFENSE ... what do we really need ... that already isnt there ?
  16. jackiejokeman

jackiejokeman Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +161 / 1 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    75ß
    Basically what we need is a style of music ... CHICAGO BEARS music.

Down to the cleats in the frozen .. but yet still muddy field of Soldiers.

A place where PAYTON ...BUTKUS ... DANIMAL ... laid the mark.

17. jackiejokeman

jackiejokeman Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +161 / 1 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    75ß
    And we better not fuck up this draft when it comes to DEFENSE.

Thats HALAS HALL's problem.

Alotta peoples asses are online on this board when it comes to draft picks.

Thats why we have the balls to post our picks.

Just ... BEARS fans.
  18. beardownzona

beardownzona Rookie

Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Lets calm down, yes our defense was worst ever in history but it was riddled by injuries and Mel Sucker having to adapt to lovie's scheme.

Mel Sucker no longer has any excuse this year, he is able to implement his own style in a more hybrid Defense with a lot of upgraded and younger guys they picked up this offseason.

I wouldn't say most of the guys we picked up are STers... D-line was the main focus this offseason and it has been fixed, get better on the D-line and get pressure on the qb then everything behind them works better.

Expect to see Izzy back on ST and making an impact like he did back then, MD will also be a quality STer, everyone else they had signed on D this offseason have potential to making an impact on defense.

And I do agree first 3 rounds should be defense, CB, FS, DT. But not up to rounds 4-5, we would need to pick up a young back up QB or RB in those rounds. I really don't trust Palmer if Cutty goes down, which is likely to happen since he hasn't completed a full 16 game season since 2009.
    • Like Like x 1
  19. latorreedgar

latorreedgar Rookie

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    I agree the whole draft can't be focused on defense just because it sucked last year. They made improvements in FA that they have the flexibility to draft best player available
  20. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +414 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    23ß
    Yep, and welcome to the boards. Anyone who thinks our first 5 picks are all going to be defense is delusional. There will be a surprise pick here or there likely on offense. Emery is unpredictable, almost downright volatile. I would say the darkhorse top half pick would likely be any one of the top 5 RBs or top 7QBs. I'm sure there are guys high on their board that we can't even start to predict now or here. May 8th can't come soon enough. I will be glued to the TV, a beverage (or 10) in hand and just enjoying the show Emery and co put on.
    • Like Like x 1