Chicago Bears 2014 Draft

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by jackiejokeman, Jan 15, 2014.

1. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,694 / 2 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,165ß
    Mel Sucker, LMAO! I love it because a Tucker lover I am not. I hope he does well this year because I don't have enough strength in me anymore to watch a defense like that again with committing murder and mayhem. :14 6 12[1]:
  2. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,694 / 2 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,165ß
    Not so sure about a QB in the draft but taking Lynch afterward wouldn't shock me or was down in the 5th or 6th if they were positive he wouldn't last. As mobile as he is if Trestman and Cavanaugh could teach him to throw better he may make a good developmental guy and if that fails I still think he could be a good RB.

Considering Fortes age drafting a RB if a really good one fell in their laps wouldn't shock me but the who would puzzle me. There are a lot of RBs who will drop pretty far down just because the position isn't valued as highly anymore. Considering that Ford didn't look bad at all last year I think a few years back he may have been a mid round pick rather than an UDFA.
  3. jackiejokeman

jackiejokeman Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +184 / 2 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    270ß
    BDArizona,

The problem with Emery is we dont know what is going to happen.

Im hoping for that also. Did we get in F.A. the likes of Bushman ... Bennett ...Slauson on Defense ?

The team will have to take to the field to see.

Hey Grizz Im hoping beer in hand and Doritos and no suprisses. I'm tired of unexpected ... BEARS need Defense.

Whatever it takes to walk through NFC North and beyond ... Seattle and Frisco are usurpers of where we should be.
  4. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +439 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    42ß
    As for the red bolded, I wouldn't doubt a qb being drafted at all. There are too many parts that we don't know and will never know unless one of us is secretly Emery or Trestman.

If Trestman isn't sold on Cutler past the 3 year op out, then a developmental guy will need to come sooner rather than later. Its been said and remains true, there is absolutely no downside to developing a rock solid young backup. Either we have our guy in 3 years if we opt out from Cutty. If we stay for the duration of his deal, then we prolly have some trade bait and will likely get a return on the investment if he pans out. Lastly, and probably most importantly we have an insurance policy if Cutler gets hurt. This leads us to my next point/question.

We don't know how sold Trestman/Emery are on Palmer. Before we go quoting Emery/Trestman on how the like that hes been in the system for a year. This whole pre draft time of year is full of BS and smokescreens, anything that is said to the media likely was said for a reason and may or may not be true. If they aren't sold that he can step in and win games for the often injured Cutler, then we need a backup...like now. This leads to the next point.

Are we gonna sign Freeman? Other FA would work but frankly, the list is thin and Freeman is the clearcut best option we have for vet backup. Thats not saying much. Will the dollars justify the spotty career he has had? Do they think he can step into the backup role and win games if needed? If the answer to either of the questions is no, then of course we have an issue that could threaten our season.

Before we rule out a qb other than some UDFA that likely won't make the roster, we must realize that we don't know whats going on in HH so we can't rule it out.

As to the green. I agree mostly. His age and miles dictate we need a backup. Similar to the backup qb, there is a unproven UDFA backup. Not much to go on, I don't put much stock in what a guy does in PS last year. So again, we don't know. I do agree that we likely will get someone to fall into our lap. Hyde, Hill in rd 2 would be excellent value. Sims in 4. Storm in 6. Thats just a few off the top of my head, sure there are more and likely more on the Bears board.

This will be a fun draft weekend. Lots of questions will prolly be answered and I'm sure we are in for a surprise, or 2, or 12.
  5. dachuckster

dachuckster Veteran SuperFan

Ratings:
    +293 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    105ß
    I just noticed that we recently (Dec 30) re-signed Jerrod Johnson to the PS. Interesting QB prospect. Very sketchy career at Texas A&M that ended with him begin benched his Sr year (recovering from off-season shoulder surgery may have contributed as well).

Big, fast, strong arm (6'5", 250lbs, 4.76 40). Not a great pocket passer.

The only reason I mention him is that he has been released and then re-signed to you practice squad twice. I wonder if Trestman sees something in him.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,034 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    69ß
    FWIW, Biggs reported that Bears worked out Kyle Fuller today. Add him to Deonne Buchannon as 2 DBs we know the team has met with privately recently.
  7. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +439 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    42ß
    Heard that, he fits the build for a big corner who can maybe go up against the bigger WRs down the road.
  8. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,034 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    69ß
    And we signed some camp bodies--a WR/KR and a TE (Mulligan)
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2014
  9. jackiejokeman

jackiejokeman Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +184 / 2 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    270ß
    Yea MP68 how much is camp fodder and smoke screen before the draft ?

With Emery you never know what the final team is going to be in F.A. or the draft until it happens.

We could be pullin in players in July for a look see.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Hall of Famer

Ratings:
    +1,232 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    292ß
    Very True. A good way to make people think we won't be looking for a certain position because we made a signing.
  11. jackiejokeman

jackiejokeman Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +184 / 2 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    270ß
    BFIH,

I dont know what is true and lies anymore. And its part of the subterfuge.

They actually made a movie about this ... can you believe that ?

Kevin Costner.
  12. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +598 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    466ß
    Interesting discussions many valid points.

Fuller is very interesting, I think Mayock even moved him into #2 CB. In FA CB is one of the most expensive positions on Defense. Phil could be thinking he will draft to late next year to snag a CB of similar value and be keeping his options open for a trade down, (either take Fuller or snooker somebody into moving up for him) or he genuinely sees the need to get a strong back up in case of injury. Depending on which CB, he may try to see if they could play FS for a year or nickel back barring injury to Peanut or Jennings. ( Not a strong class for FS after Dix, Pryor and Ward) Maybe he is trying to cover FS with a top CB who will move to CB after Peanut is gone.

A DT is generally valued more than a S, but if he can get the future CB and cover FS it may be a deciding factor.

I will be surprised if we do not take a RB in either rd 3 or 4. Possibly Davonte Freeman in 5 but not sure he will be there.

Big question to me is how much cover 2 will we play. Somebody like Bullough could be an intimidator and help against the run but a liability against the pass (cover2 centerfield), atleast at this stage of his career. Borland is thought to be a tweener but like Donald, Borland looked good in the Sr Bowl. From the reports I have read Skov and Mosley appear to be the 2 MLB who best fit all schemes. So when I hear Hybrid I think if we go MLB it needs to be either Mosley or Skov. We have capable 3 tech on the team but nobody like Donald. Ratliff could play 3 tech very well, so pushing DT to round 2 or 3 for Quarles or Sutton is possible but not desired.

Everything is just so intertwined so I really can see in no particular order any combination occurring. I would not rule out 2 DT's and I think DT beats S unless its a future CB playing S.(Fuller type)
    rd 1 Donald, Fuller, Mosley, Dennard, Nix, Dix, Jernigan
    rd 2 Ward, Quarles, Skov, Buchannon, Joyner, Robey (if he falls, if San Diego gets a shot at Nix Robey may fall but unlikely), Hageman if he falls
    rd 3 Borland, Hyde, Sutton, Ferguson, Baptiste, McGill, Watkins ( use to be a FS) Niklas ( with recent TE signing looking less likely), QB if one falls but doubt any rookie will beat out Palmer and to high for future project plus we have one.
    rd 4 Bullough, Jeremy Hill (RB), Seastrunk, Desir, Aikens, Freeman, Brett Smith (QB see above comment), Loston, Ed Reynolds, De Anthony Thomas, Charles Sims, Dixon
    rd 5 Bullough if he falls, Caraun Reed DT, Freeman RB, TE , small school prospect we never heard of.
    rd 6 MY SLEEPER VALUE PICKS. (PRESTON BROWN ILB, COLT LYERLA TE)

I look for UDFA for RB and QB even if we draft one.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. jackiejokeman

jackiejokeman Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +184 / 2 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    270ß
    What THE CHICAGO BEARS need is DEFENSIVE TACKLE and SAFETY in the first two rounds.

AND ... we could duplicate that in the first four rounds.

DT and Safety in the first four rounds ?

GIMME TWO !!

Yeah like CHICAGO BEARS really need another ANYTHING at OFFENSE.

Did anyone see our CHICAGO BEARS PLAY last season at Offense ?

All we need is a credible Defense Gentlemen.
  14. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +598 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    466ß
    I still believe RB and TE our options. Prob lesser TE with recent signing. Need a 3rd RB and S in RD 3 or 4 isnt going to be any different then what we already have as backups. It would have to be somebody like Jaylen Watkins who is listed at CB but played S early in his college career IMHO for a S to be found who is better than what we have otherwise I am of the belief it would be a wasted pick. JMHO
  15. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Hall of Famer

Ratings:
    +1,232 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    292ß
    Keep in mind that while we signed a TE, he is more of a blocking TE. He only caught 3 passes for 22 yards last year. No one is going to scheme for him. So I'm not sure that TE dropped a lot in reality -- not for the type of TE that I envision we are looking for.
    • Like Like x 1
  16. jackiejokeman

jackiejokeman Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +184 / 2 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    270ß
    BIH,
    True dat , hey how about a good old break in the messages and a good ol' time back to ol' time CHICAGO BEARS?

Back in the day when DAA BEARRSSE knew how to make money ... lets watch :

17. jackiejokeman

jackiejokeman Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +184 / 2 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    270ß
    Worth kicking around ... if Donalds gone .
    1) Tim Jernigan (DT)
    2) Jimmie Ward (SS)
    3) Jaylen Watkins (CB/S)
    4) Justin Ellis (DT)
  18. jackiejokeman

jackiejokeman Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +184 / 2 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    270ß
    Three at CB that could fall up and down in the Draft.

Bradley Roby, CB Ohio State

Pierre Desir, CB Lindenwood

Stanley Jean Baptist, CB Nebraska

If they come our way in the right round ... does Emery pull the trigger ?
  19. a_miljan

a_miljan Veteran

Ratings:
    +268 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    34ß
    I have a new dark horse, UDFA of all the UDFA's!
    Unfortunately, my path took me to Bruce Jenner's page because it says - The World Greatest Athlete, that being said at least we should bring him in and give him a try, after all he is the world greatest athlete, or Devin Hester 2 if u will.
    Althought, he does look like a dear old lady in this pic

[​IMG]
  20. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,694 / 2 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,165ß
    Fuck, now I'm gonna have nightmares all night long where Bruce Jenner is some wino district bag lady. That has to be an example of some of the worst face lifts ever performed on a man or a woman and in Bruce's case I'm not sure which they were shooting for.