Chicago Bears 2014 Draft

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by jackiejokeman, Jan 15, 2014.

1. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,835 / 6 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,505ß
    Lots being discussed here so I'll try to catch up.

1) QB; Grizz you mentioned the probability of taking a QB and I don't disagree since Phil has already said he'd like to take one every year and so far he's 0-2. I can see him doing it but with other needs to be met I don't see it happening early unless somebody gift wraps one he can't pass up. That's why Jordan Lynch is kind of intriguing. He has the mobility you'd like and if anyone can improve on his passing game it would probably be Trestman and Cavanaugh. So maybe they take him late or sign him as an UDFA and start the process. The added benefit is that if he doesn't adapt to a pro style passing attack we may still have a decent RB prospect in him. The kid is a good athlete and he's competitive and motivated as all hell and those are the kind of guys Phil likes to take.

2) CB; I see a lot of positives about Fuller but his size (or lack of it) bothers me a little. I think he needs to get a little bigger or at least a little stronger before he's ready to take on the spot that Tillman plays. Other than that he's a good fit for us. Given that fact that we don't need to start him this year and that he's said to be a very good STeams guy I guess it's not a total waste but I'm still opposed to drafting a bench sitter/punt coverage guy with the #14 pick. The kid also missed half the 2013 season with an injury and I'd hate to see him get hurt playing STeams like Hardin. That's why I've said that at #14 he a "cringe" pick for me. Not horrible but better if taken a little later and I still wouldn't pass up a kid like Donald to take Fuller. Now if it gets down to Pryor or Fuller well than Phil's gonna have a tough choice to make and maybe Fuller wins out or maybe he doesn't. I'm beginning to suspect those two are our fall back picks of Donald and Dix are both gone.

3) RB; We don't know exactly how they view Ford but for him to have been kept active all of last year just to keep him off the PS and to play on some coverage units they must have some positive feelings about him as a RB too. He looked good enough last preseason to say that he has as much chance of being the #2 RB as anyone they might draft in the later rounds. That doesn't mean we don't need at least two more good prospects out of somewhere also competing for that spot but unless we use a fairly high pick on one Ford will probably have the inside track as the OTAs and camp start. If they do take a RB before the 5th or 6th round it should be one they feel has a pretty good chance of taking that #2 spot this year. There are a lot of good RB prospects who will fall into the later rounds just based on supply (which is high) and demand (which is low). Too many teams have done well with RBs drafted late or signed as UDFAs to reach for one when other needs take a precedence.

4) Other; So we signed another blocking TE who could easily get bumped if Onobun finally proves he can play and we could take a flyer on one late or an UDFA whose more of a pass catcher. It's as much of a wish as it is a need. Bennett has already proven that he can play hurt and play effectively so barring a serious injury he'll be out there. He's a lot like Marshall in that respect. He's not gonna let you see him bleed.

We took care of the spare OC issue very nicely already so one other need, and one I'd put above TE, is a MLB prospect to put into the mix behind DWill along with Bostic and McClellin. IMHO if it all works like it looks like it should then McClellin will work the SLB spot most of the time but they may move him around on passing downs. They'll decide that Bostic's best spot is WLB and groom him to take Briggs place, which I think he can do, and that still leaves us needing a MLB prospect to groom for a year behind DWill. It's a less obvious hole but it's there nonetheless. IMHO the who plays where right now is disguising it. They'll give Bostic another shot at it but I still don't think he's the guy.

Other than that we should probably look at adding depth wherever age or expiring contract may have an impact next year. DT, CB, S, RB come to mind first.
  2. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +735 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    695ß
    Actually I think that picture is the result of some type of surgery on his Adams Apple. Do not know or care if that is the technical term but my wife is a fan of the Kardashian and they talked about it now and then. Thankfully you get some T and A shots now and then to make the show not totally worthless.
  3. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,835 / 6 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,505ß
    You're either up very early, going to bed late, or you live in Europe and you're on your lunch break. LOL

All I know is that Bruce looks spooky. Very, very spooky.
  4. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +450 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    58ß
    Comments inside of post to avoid confusion^^
    • Like Like x 1
  5. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,952 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    967ß
    Grizz, it's an old post now, but if you look at the research you'll see that RB's don't just fall off a cliff, they are still able to go into their early 30's and play well if they are used up early, and believe it or not, Forte has outside of 1 time gone over that limit, it was either his first or 2nd year. He should be good to go.

I think we need a backup RB strictly b/c you need someone to backup if he gets hurt, he's every bit as important to this O as Cutler is and if he goes down and you don't have someone that can step in the O is going to suffer.
  6. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +450 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    58ß
    Don't get me wrong Ric, I'm not saying we throw Forte out and bring in someone to take over. Just if we had a quality guy to spell him (he really never had this) it would take some load off him and extend his time he can compete at a high level. Forte is a scary enough back as it is, now if we added a 2nd head to our rushing attack we can constantly have a fresh Forte when need be and maybe take 15% of the hits he takes out.
  7. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +735 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    695ß
    Up Early would be correct. Live on the East coast. My group goes in early 6:30 or so. We generally stack up time Mon thru Thurs and our done by 11 or so on Friday at the latest. Makes for a nicer w/end.
  8. jackiejokeman

jackiejokeman Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +192 / 2 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    357ß
    I know we dont need QB but its all about Johnny Football and his wonderlic score.
    At QB past and present wonderlic scores. Some may suprise you !

Ryan Fitzpatrick (48)
    Alex Smith (40)
    Eli Manning (39)
    Colin Kaepernick (38)
    Andrew Luck (37)
    Tony Romo (37)
    Aaron Rodgers (35)
    Tom Brady (33)
    JOHNNY MANZIEL (32)
    Peyton Manning (28)
    Russell Wilson (24)
    Robert Griffin III (24)
    Tim Tebow (22)
    Dan Marino (15)
  9. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,835 / 6 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,505ß
    Ho hum. I'm a lot less interested in them knowing when the train leaving from NY at 9AM and the one from LA leaving at 3PM, both traveling at 60 mph will both meet in Scottsbluff, Nebraska than I am about reading defense and being able to throw a 20 yard out. As far as I know getting his lover pregnant while he was married is the only really dumb thing Marino ever did.
  10. jackiejokeman

jackiejokeman Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +192 / 2 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    357ß
    And now he has the job that you and I want.

Color analyst .... mmmmmmm!
  11. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Position Coach

Ratings:
    +1,534 / 5 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    715ß
    oh no...... not with the crayons again.....
    • Like Like x 1
  12. jackiejokeman

jackiejokeman Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +192 / 2 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    357ß
    Marinos making ALOT more money then you are with Crayons.

You have to ask yourself BIH ... where the hell did I go wrong ?
  13. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,835 / 6 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,505ß

Ya' know it's getting really spooky when you and I come up with the exact same thought after reading what jackie posted. They say everyone has a twin but I never thought my sick mind could have one. LOL
    • Like Like x 1
  14. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,835 / 6 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,505ß
    He didn't get the Super Large 128 color Crayola Set that's where.
  15. dabears70

dabears70 Rookie

Ratings:
    +46 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    49ß
    I would like to see us trade down in the first and with the extra pick we get from moving down in the first we will have 4 picks in the first 3 rounds and with those picks we should draft DT,S,MLB and CB.
  16. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +450 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    58ß
    I actually don't like the trade down option unless we get a lobsided deal. Emery would have to really blackball someone who is absolutely in love with a guy that fell to 14. If not, then just dunk the ball and get a high quality player at 14.
  17. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,207 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    246ß
    That's how I see it too, Grizz. I hate the idea of trading down from 14 in general. I'd rather get one stud there (whoever it may be) than end up with one "good" player and one depth guy later on who may not amount to anything over time.

Yeah you can come up with a scenario where trading down might make good sense--there's been a run on your top guys and someone offers you a good deal to move up for a player not really on your radar anyway.

Donald/Dix/Pryor/Gilbert....maybe throw Dennard and Fuller in there too. Hard to fathom how all of them could be gone by 14. Maybe Fuller and/or Pryor could be had with a small trade down to net an extra 4th. I can't see that being likely with the others.
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +450 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    58ß

Yeah, if Donald is gone as wella s Dix and Gilbert then maybe Emery moves down to the 17-20 range for Pryor or Fuller. Only issue with this is if that happened we would be telegraphing who we are targeting to the entire league and run the risk of getting screwed. I think Jernigan is a darkhorse at 14 as well if Donald and Dix are gone. Guy was a terror in college on a National championship team. Has work ethic questions stemming from the last drive of the Nat. Champ. game but I don't put any stock in that. He was a real leader at FSU and IMO its the NCAAs own damn fault that players are out of shape and rusty for that game when you give them 6 freaking weeks off.
  19. jackiejokeman

jackiejokeman Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +192 / 2 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    357ß
    This could be a first on this board and in fact I dont think Ive ever seen it ...

we as a whole could be in complete agreement that DT and Safety (In whatever order)

should be whats needed in the first two rounds.

Given whats out there in the draft we should walk with what we need ,on both picks.

Now if HALAS HALL goes with a RB or some shit like that in the first two ...

Then maybe having angelo back aint a bad idea ...

BWAH - HA-HA-HA-HA-HA !!!

Soul put down that gun ... it was just a JOKE !
  20. jackiejokeman

jackiejokeman Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +192 / 2 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    357ß
    Ultimately, Eric Weems made the decision that accepting a pay cut from the Bears was better than the uncertainty of the open market.
    Weems renegotiated the final year of his contract on Thursday, according to NFLPA records, agreeing to reduce his base salary from $1 million to the minimum for a veteran with six years of experience — $730,000.

The wide receiver and special teams performer retained the $100,000 workout bonus in the contract so he can earn up to $830,000 this season and will have a cap number of $1.33 million, down from the $1.6 million for which he was slated.

The club informed Weems he would have to accept a pay cut last month and a source said the player and his agent Chris Martin objected. But Weems had a change of heart and agreed to the trim that’s probably best for him. He will be 29 before training camp ends and it might have been difficult to find anything above the minimum on the street.

That means Weems can do better with the Bears by virtue of the workout bonus.

Fellow wide receiver Earl Bennett was released after declining to take a pay cut last month and remains an unrestricted free agent. Sometimes, players ensure their futures with an organization if they agree to a cut, though that’s not always the case.

For instance, former Bears offensive tackle J’Marcus Webb was asked to take a pay cut during preseason last year. Webb did so and wound up being one of the team’s final cuts.

Weems earned $915,000 last year and $2.225 million in 2012. He figures to play a role on special teams primarily if he makes the team.
    He was on the field for only 24 offensive snaps in 2013 and but was third on the roster with 309 special teams snaps. He ranked fourth with 13 special teams tackles.

With Devin Hester departed, it is possible Weems could be considered as a potential kickoff returner. He expected to have a bigger role doing that when he joined the team in 2012 but Hester wound up getting the bulk of the work.