Chicago Bears 2014 Draft

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by jackiejokeman, Jan 15, 2014.

1. a_miljan

a_miljan Pro-Bowler

ßearz ßuckz:
    725ß
    Please Register or Log in to Remove this Advertisement!
    Ur right, I would take a DT, but i must admit, there is no chance, but if any of this guys land I would be tempted - Bortles, Watkins, Ebron, Robinson, Mack

2. soulman

soulman Position Coach
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    2,963ß
    I would hope none of those guys would tempt him. That offense was the second most productive in the NFL last year even without Cutler playing in six games and in it's first year under Trestman. His entire playbook hasn't even been installed and Cutler is still learning it. This is the second year of the three years he claimed it would take to master all of it and I for one believe him. Aaron Rodgers would probably confirm that as well. He got to learn it playing behind Favre for three years before he took over and to me that's one of the reasons for his success.

After handing out that new deal to Cutler the Bears wouldn't also pay Bortles the kind or money a top fifteen pick would make. With two of the best WRs in the NFL and a couple of young competitors for the slot Watkins wouldn't get as many snaps as he'd get with another team. He'd be a very expensive luxury too and there's zero chance he'd fall from the top ten. Robinson is a great prospect but our needs aren't that great for an OT right now and he won't fall out of the top ten either.

Mack and Ebron are interesting players but only one is a true fit right now. Emery isn't ready to give up on McClellin yet so he envisions him playing the exact same position. Unless he believed McClellin would fail, or he had failed, Mack would also be an expensive luxury after having spent all that $$$ on 3 DEs to help provide a pass rush and control the edge. But Ebron is an interesting possibility because we do need depth at TE. But with Bennett having a record year coupled with Trestman's offense and the number of great pass catchers we already have I don't see the need for another at his level although I could see him taking one after the 2nd or 3rd round.

What I do see is the temptation to move back a few spots if someone made him an incredible offer for that pick and he believed he could still get one of "his guys" but I also believe the likelihood of that is slim.

3. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

ßearz ßuckz:
    512ß
    Ok, this is another I'm not beating the drum for, nor do I think there is a snowballs chance in hell it happens but I'll throw it out there for discussion. What if Lovie takes Donald at 6 or wherever there drafting, Dix goes 9 and Pryor 13, leaving Bortles, Bridgewater, or Manziel on the board at 14. It would not be unfathomable for us to take one and try to follow the Aaron Rodgers mold GB had. This would clearly require Trestman to be jumping up and down screaming that he was sure of whoever it was. We are set to take a qb somewhere because I'm not sold on Palmer being qb2 and likely starting for an injured cutler at some point. QB position is something you must be proactive on not reactive and if Treatman was absolutely sold on a guy it would give them valuable time to develop and would be a good insurance policy for injury prone Cutler. Just tossing it out there for convorsations sake.

4. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    3,774ß
    Grizz, I have no doubt that if that happened the Bears would trade back w/the Browns or Houston or someone else who would be looking to move backup. I'd point out that Pitt could be looking for a replacement to Big Ben in the next 2-3 years, Romo isn't exactly known as healthy and Jones would love to have Manziel sitting on the bench to sell jersey's, potentially 1 of those 3 sitting on the board after the Bears pick. I'm certain you could get one to bite at the chance to move up.

If not, then I still think the team would grab the best DT or DE available, Hageman, Ealy, Tuitt, Nix. Rogers was still taken in the 20's, and not a top 15 pick; and I am still not enthralled w/any of those 3 qb's.

5. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

ßearz ßuckz:
    512ß
    I would be perfectly ok with us taking one as long as Trestman really though he could develop into the guy. I think pulling the trigger or trading the pick would actually be Trestmans decision not Emery's

6. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    3,774ß
    Might well be, but for a guy that loves the idea of trading back having even one of those 3 qb's on the board would be a HUGE boon for the Bears ability to pull the tradeback trigger.

Of the 3 I would hope they took Bortles, who stands the least amount of a chance of being lost to injury.

• Like Like x 1
  7. latorreedgar

latorreedgar Rookie

ßearz ßuckz:
    I really hope the Bears could trade back but if they can't they need to go with
    1. Ha HA Clinton Dix
    2. Kelcy Quarles DT
    3. Keith McGill CB

• Like Like x 1
  8. MPbears68

MPbears68 Hall of Famer

ßearz ßuckz:
    1,294ß
    There's going to be endless speculation about the draft including fanciful scenarios which have 2% chance of actually panning out. Draft weekend can't get here soon enough IMO. I've seen mocks which range from the logical to the bizarre at the #14 pick. The latest Gabriel mock is the latter--we aren't drafting Kyle Fuller at 14. That would be beyond dumb.

We aren't going to/shouldn't draft a CB in the 1st. He would have zero chance of starting with 2 CBs on the roster who are both 2-time pro-bowlers with one being a Bears legend...and the draft is deep in quality corners. Everyone loves to point to the anachronistic example of Aaron Rodgers but 1st round picks--especially top-15 picks--aren't drafted to sit on the bench for a year or two. Not gonna happen.

We are drafting a week 1 STARTER at #14 and that means DT, S, or maybe just maybe ILB. and the best "bang for the buck" both immediately and for the future is DT.

9. Ojibway Bob

Ojibway Bob Veteran
    SuperFan

ßearz ßuckz:
    295ß
    Well Johnny football had a good pro day so hopefully he goes up in stock which would give us a good solid choice at 14 or make it harder to choose lol

10. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

ßearz ßuckz:
    512ß

Agree with green and disagree with red. I think QB is the only position that you would draft this high and not expect to start. The reason for this is the impact the position has and the impact it will have on your team if a guy is learning on the fly. And in our position, I will argue that if we take a qb anywhere it is likely he will end up starting games at some point this year with Cutler's injury past.