Chicago Bears 2014 Draft

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by jackiejokeman, Jan 15, 2014.

1. jackiejokeman

jackiejokeman Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +158 / 1 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    71ß
    Yeah Bob but then again I heard its 12:00 noon , but which 12: 00 noon ?

Anyways its going down and I hope we repeat what we did last year because then the draft needs become clearer.

Keep the fingers crossed bro .
  2. Ojibway Bob

Ojibway Bob Veteran SuperFan

Ratings:
    +80 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
  3. jackiejokeman

jackiejokeman Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +158 / 1 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    71ß
    Looks like Peppers is a goner ...

The Bears on Tuesday informed veteran defensive end Julius Peppers that they are terminating his contract.

The 6-7, 287-pounder started all 16 games for the Bears each of the past four seasons, recording 151.5 tackles, 38 sacks, three interceptions, 19 tackles-for-loss, 12 passes breakups, nine forced fumbles and seven fumble recoveries.

“We appreciate Julius’ contributions to the Bears over the last four years,” said general manager Phil Emery. “He was a leader on our defense starting every game since coming to Chicago. His accomplishments over his NFL career place him among the best defensive ends over the past 20 years. The Chicagoland community has benefited greatly from his quiet generosity. We wish him the best.”

Peppers signed with the Bears on the first day of free agency in 2010 after spending his first eight NFL seasons with the Panthers. He was selected by Carolina with the second overall pick in the 2002 draft out of North Carolina.

Peppers, who turned 34 in January, was voted to the Pro Bowl in each of his first three seasons with the Bears. Last year he compiled 48.5 tackles, 7.5 sacks, one interception, four tackles-for-loss, four pass breakups, two forced fumbles and one fumble recovery.

The release of Peppers, who was signed through the 2015, frees up considerable salary cap space for the Bears, who agreed to terms with defensive end Lamarr Houston, linebackers D.J. Williams and Jordan Senn, and safety Ryan Mundy on the first day of free agency Tuesday.

So does this mean DT with the 14th pick ?

Too bad about Michael Bush ... he never got a chance to get warmed up.
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2014
  4. jackiejokeman

jackiejokeman Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +158 / 1 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    71ß
    Who knew we could draft such incredible talent?

Bills signed G Chris Williams to a four-year, $13.5 million contract with $5.5 million guaranteed. Analysis: The move is a head scratcher after Williams graded out as Pro Football Focus' No. 74 guard among 81 qualifiers in 2013, and finished 76th in pass blocking. The Rams wanted him back, but certainly not at this price. Buffalo ostensibly plans to pencil in Williams at left guard, which was a gaping hole following Andy Levitre's 2013 departure. Williams turns 29 before next season.
  5. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +414 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    19ß
    So far I don't see much change in our needs. At 14 gime Donald/Jerrigan or CD/Pryor. Only thing that did change? We now have to put qbs on a radar to backup Jay.
  6. Ojibway Bob

Ratings:
    +80 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    haha Brandon Weeden got released Ima gonna be to first with the Jersey!!!!
  7. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,423 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    170ß
    call me crazy, but I wouldn't mind seeing what Weeden would look like w/a year under Trestman and w/all these weapons on the Bears, strictly as a backup. Guys been in the worst organization in the NFL but only in the league for 2yrs. seems like it's possible there is untapped potential for Trestman to play with, much like a younger less experienced McCown.

Still would perfer a draftpick, but if that isn't going to happen this guy would be a nice pickup.
  8. jackiejokeman

jackiejokeman Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +158 / 1 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    71ß
    Wasnt Weeden the former New York Yankee minor leaguer?

Thirty years old and a first round draft pick.

Clevland also cut Jason Campbell ...wonder what hed look like behind todays CHICAGO BEARS Offensive Line ?

Not the one at the Frisco game in the past. We already signed Jordan Palmer.

Why not bring in Weeden and Campbell just for the hell of it if they dont get picked up ?

Good camp fodder.
  9. Ojibway Bob

Ratings:
    +80 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    It could be worse we have sooo many needs atm in all areas of the ball....It would give Emery another year for a draft pick at the QB position, looks like there will be a ton of them next year and not to mention he has some NFL experience so when Cutty hurts himself he can come in and win a few
  10. little bear

little bear Assistant Head Coach

Ratings:
    +566 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    94ß
    Actually I'd rather have Weeden as backup than Palmer. At least he knows how it's like to be a starting QB in the NFL.
  11. jackiejokeman

jackiejokeman Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +158 / 1 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    71ß
    Lions signed Golden Tate. That means less effort for our secondary.

More attention can be directed at Calvin Johnson.
  12. jackiejokeman

jackiejokeman Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +158 / 1 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    71ß
    Signing Willie Young to 3mil a year seems like alot just to get Detroits defensive playbook.

But a DE? Hes 6'4" 251 lbs. Isnt that a LB ?

And we didnt grab M.D. Jennings to get G.B.'s playbook ?

Oh sure that never happens in the NFL.

Wonder which Minnie defensive player we will be hiring ... Hmmmm.

The Chicago Bears continued Thursday with their free-agent flurry, agreeing to terms with receiver and special teamer Domenik Hixon on a one-year contract, the team announced.

Hixon had only seven catches for 55 yards in 15 games for the Carolina Panthers last season. He has experience returning punts and kickoffs, but he did neither in 2013.

Eric Weems played a similar role for the Bears in 2013. He's under contract for 2014 with a $1.6 million salary cap number, but $500,000 of that is the prorated portion of he signing bonus he earned when he signed with the Bears in 2012.

This better be leading to somwhere. So far Bushrod and Slauson this has been not.
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2014
  13. jackiejokeman

jackiejokeman Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +158 / 1 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    71ß
    Some names ...

Aaron Colvin CB Oaklahoma

Tayler Hart DE Oregon

Uhhh ... this guy for Center ...

Ikard graduated with a bachelor’s degree in multidisciplinary studies - biological sciences in May 2013 after just four years with a 4.0 GPA. He chose his major field so he could build a degree path that would best prepare him to pursue a medical degree. He is now pursuing a second undergraduate degree in human relations. He received the 2013 1A FAR Academic Excellence Award and was named outstanding graduating senior in Multidisciplinary Studies for 2013. He also received the 2013 Gerald Lage Award, the highest academic award given by the Big 12 and was named the 2013 Big Man on Campus, one of only 13 men to receive the award. He was named to the 2013 Letzeiser Honor Award list and was a National Football Foundation State of Oklahoma Jim Thorpe College Players of the Year honoree. He received 2013 Dan S. Petty Scholar-Athlete Award, presented by the Cotton Bowl Association and was a 2012 Wuerffel Trophy finalist (presented to the NCAA FBS player who best combines athletic and academic achievement with exemplary community service. He is a 2013 AFCA Good Works team nominee and was a 2012 CoSIDA first-team Academic All-American, the first Sooner football player to earn first-team honors since 1986 and the first OU football player to earn back-to-back honors since 1966 and 1967. He was a 2011 CoSIDA second-team Academic All-American, one of three sophomores to earn a spot on the team and has potential to be the first Sooner FB player to earn CoSIDA Academic All-America honors three times in his career. He is an eight-time President’s Honor Roll honoree (4.00 GPA), a three-time Dan Gibbens Outstanding Scholar Athlete Award, presented by OU Athletics Council. Has been a two-time CoSIDA Academic all-district first-team member and a three-time Academic All-Big 12 first-team honoree. He has been named as a finalist for the National Football Foundation’s Campbell Award and is one of 16 postgraduate scholarship recipients from the NFF. He also has been nominated for the 2013 Wuerffel after finishing as a finalist last year.

Yeah when it comes to Kreutz ... this is what you want. A TEN YEAR CENTER !

Remember you want the guy calling the shots at Center to be halfway smart ...
  14. jackiejokeman

jackiejokeman Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +158 / 1 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    71ß
    Ok what have we done so far on DEFENSE in F.A.?

Obviously some of us are perturbed.
  15. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +414 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    19ß
    The way its shaping up, I really cannot decide who I would want between Donald, Clinton Dix and Pryor. The BEST case scenario is some stud (Sammy Watkins, Blake Bortles, Mack ect) that we have no need for falling to 14 and some team giving us a lobsided deal to move up to take them, leaving us with a decision likely between Jerrigan and Pryor.

But there is no way we can bank on that happening. So for now I'm really torn between the 3 above. Hope Emery and co can identify the biggest difference maker of the three.

A little bit on all 3 from what I've read and saw.

Donald:
    Pros- Excellent pass rusher, Stout run defender at 300 lbs. Slippery isnt a word I would think of someone who is 300 lbs but just watch him. His short space speed is incredible for a big man and it results in him pitching a tent in opposing peoples backfields.

Cons- he really is only a 3tech and not much flexibility (not going to effect our decision) His tape and stats come against some very weak competition. Racked up a big stat line and generated some highlights against the likes of UTEP for example. He was impressive in the sr bowl though, so kinda put some of that to rest.
    Dix:
    Pros- Ball hawk. Finds ball very well, and then goes and gets it. Rangy player, good cover skills and positioning. Almost always where he needs to be and extremely rare that he gets taken over the top by being out of position. Is not afraid to come up in run support and takes good angles.

Cons- Although not a weak tackler, could be better. Strength is a question as he gets run through from time to time. Some question how well he will be able to bring down NFL rbs when called upon. Not slow, but not fast either makes some wonder how he will match up with elite nfl speed and if that will effect his game by compensating for it.
    Pryor:
    Pros- Hits like a freight train. Aggressive, plays with a mean streak. WR and RB alike must know where is he on the field because he is able to land pretty crushing shots if the opportunity arises. I've seen many comment on how well he avoids penalties when doing so as most hits are clean even by the modern definition. Comes downhill very well and very good run supporter. Ball skills are only surpassed by CD in this draft, but not by much. Good man to man ability should allow him to blanket a TE if called upon.

Cons-Reckless. Loves the big hits and sometimes leads to missed tackles. A bit faster in line than CD but dosent have elite speed either.

Just what I have read and seen, this will be one HELL of a choice for Emery and co if all three are available at 14.
  16. jackiejokeman

jackiejokeman Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +158 / 1 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    71ß
    Hey Griz ,
    Do you think the whole damn F.A. signings has been a smokescreen to the draft ?

I mean we keep picking up stuff in F.A. that aint going to do all that much.

The only pick out of the litter is Houston and maybe Young.

Mundy and Senn ? C'mon man.
  17. jackiejokeman

jackiejokeman Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +158 / 1 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    71ß
    Who have we signed and what do we want ?

DEFENSIVE TACKLE ... and according to some this years crop aint all that great.

Where does that leave us at the most exposed position ?

Whats out there ?
  18. jackiejokeman

jackiejokeman Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +158 / 1 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    71ß
    Yeah Grizz thats impressive. I wonder if all the low balling of players in F.A. is to reserve cash for a draft day blitz by Emery.
  19. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +414 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    19ß

I don't think so Jackie. I wish that in some way we were able to double dip into the first round by say... Taking Donald at 14 and then trading back into the first round at 26 and taking Pryor to compliment him. Fact is we just don't have the picks to do that. Only way anything similar to this could happen is if we get extremely lucky and someone like Mack, Bridgewater, Bortles, Barr, Mathews falls to 14 and we are able to get a team to give us a great deal so they can trade up for them. To my knowledge there is no team drafting twice behind us in the first round so that really isn't even a possibility either. Best chance we really have at snagging 2 impact players like you imply is for a guy like Jerrigan or Pryor to slip into the early first round and jumping up a few spots to grab them similar to how we did it with AJ.

I wish man, but I think this is more or less just what we were able to sign in FA (not bad though) and I do not think that there is a bigger plan in place to make a huge splash in the draft.
  20. jackiejokeman

jackiejokeman Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +158 / 1 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    71ß
    Grizz what order we place them at and I think we can all agree on this :

DT and Safety.

Those have to be the concerns. No CHICAGO BEARS team can move forward without those two.

We all need a push up front to dislodge (and I will be specific ...Rodgers) to panic and throw to a Safety.

And we better have both of them. We can play around on any draft scenario ... and we can screw it up if we try ...

but CHCAGO BEARS need two IMPACTplayers on DEFENSE.

Can I double the draft for both positions ?

GIMME TWO ! I like the idea of FOUR.

CHICAGO BEARS ... ranked 31 in DEFENSE ... in DEFENSE for gods sake !

What a kick in the TEETH to be the WORST in our GENERATION.

None of us ever thought that would happen. Now we have to pick up the pieces and rebuild.

I HATE SEATTLE and FRISCO because ... THEY STOLE OUR IDENITY !

Nope ... Im not even pissed off. Well ... maybe a little.

Somewhere theres a CHICAGO DEEP DISH PIZZA with my name on it.