Chicago Bears 2014 Uniform Number Changes

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by BelieveInMonsters, Apr 22, 2014.

1. BelieveInMonsters

BelieveInMonsters Veteran

Ratings:
    +271 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    96ß
    The following players have changed their numbers for 2014:

Shea McClellin LB 99 to 50

Khaseem Greene LB 59 to 52

Nate Collins DT 93 to 98

Jeremiah Ratliff DT 96 to 90
  2. little bear

little bear Assistant Head Coach

Ratings:
    +985 / 1 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,129ß
    Only studs at DL should wear #90.
  3. BelieveInMonsters

Ratings:
    +271 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    96ß
    Why is that? Because of Peppers?

90 was Ratliff's number with Dallas.

As a side note I think Shea is setting himself up by wearing #50. That number is sacred and is not for a guy in transition like he is.
  4. BelieveInMonsters

Ratings:
    +271 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    96ß
    Greene's reasoning behind changing his number is also very cool.

He's doing it to honor former Rutgers teammate Eric LeGrand who was paralyzed during a game.
  5. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,024 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,724ß
    I agree. Wearing a Chicago Bears Hall of Fame linebacker's jersey, by a guy who could be out of the NFL shortly is almost a sacrilege. I wish there was a way that once you make it to the Hall of Fame, nobody wears that number again. Nobody.

I realize we are a great franchise with a number of Hall of Fame players, but I'd be fine going to an extended numbering system if that's what it takes to make certain no mere mortal wears a HoF guys jersey. It just doesn't seem "right" to me.

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +487 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    99ß
    At that rate Ric we would have our LBs wearing 40's numbers by now....That or like 156.
  7. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +915 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    765ß
    It's a number and ya can't retire them all.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +3,024 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,724ß
    I know I'm in the minority here, but I'd have no problem going to 3 digit numbers if that meant a Hall of Fame player's jersey was retired. It honors men who have reached the absolute pinnacle of accomplishment that EXTREMELY few players can attain. These guys are "The Great Ones" the greatest men who ever lived to play this sport in Chicago. Letting a guy like Shea McClellan wear a HoF Chicago Bears linebacker's jersey is almost obscene to me. But that's just me. I'm a nut about this topic.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2014
  9. DaTreeBears

DaTreeBears Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +712 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    427ß
    A little side note Singletary started off very poorly in his career as well. He was beat out as starter at MLB by guy named Lee Kuntz who eventually never did anything and Singletary finally replaced him the following year. So maybe the number fits more than you think.
  10. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +3,024 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,724ß
    I don't know if every player who plays poorly like Shea McClellin is going to end up in the Hall of Fame, but I hope he ends up in the Hall just like Iron Mike :lol 027:
  11. DaTreeBears

DaTreeBears Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +712 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    427ß
    Singletary was on the bench not playing and beat out by piss poor player to boot. So who would have guessed he would of have become HoF?
    • Like Like x 1
  12. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß
    Ratliff? He's a stud or maybe a beast. That what Allen called him. Believe it. The guy was a 4 time Pro Bowler before his injury.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß
    What's the big deal with McClellin wearing #50? It may bring him good luck. Hell James Anderson wore it last year and didn't exactly do it proud. I'd rather see on of our guys with it on and I wouldn't count on Shea being gone anytime soon. That kid is working his ass off right now getting ready to make that transition to LB and he's running a 4.5 forty right now. That damn fast for anyone who weighs 250lbs.

We're done retiring numbers. Halas retired to many early on so many of the '80s Bears won't get that honor due to the NFL rules that govern the numbers at certain positions players can wear. He was wearing #99 before and Houston has it now. Hampton's number is just as deserving and should be retired too but it won't be. Rather than to take the number away let's see these guys do justice to the legends that wore it before them.
    • Like Like x 1
  14. BelieveInMonsters

Ratings:
    +271 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    96ß
    I have to agree with both of you. I suppose you never know. Shea may do the number proud and if he plays well, it would be a great thing for our beloved Bears.

As for the position-specific numbers, In my opinion it's time for the NFL to do away with that antiquated rule. IIRC it was done when the NFL was still trying to gain more popularity to make it easier for the casual fan to identify player positions on the field. Nowadays fans know as much about the sport as the average coach and can identify a player by where he's lined up on the field. College Football does just fine without a numbering system.

Here's a good yet older article on the subject:

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=lukas/060525

And this one too:

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/05/17/sports/football/17nfl.html?_r=0
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2014
  15. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +915 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    765ß
    Isn't going to the Hall of Fame reward enough? 3 digit numbers on jerseys would look ridiculous!
  16. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +915 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    765ß
    I have to disgree. The average fan does not know as much as the average pro football coach. A pro football coach would make your head spin with all the intricacies involved in the sport.
  17. BelieveInMonsters

Ratings:
    +271 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    96ß
    It was hyperbole.

I was trying to illustrate that the fans nowadays are extremely knowledgeable
    • Like Like x 1
  18. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +3,024 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,724ß
    First of all, I have been in the tiny minority regarding this topic, and I "get it" most don't agree with me. No problem.

Maybe I'm different because to me, being a HoF player is the ultimate achievement in the NFL. I guess it's a "bigger deal" than for most fans. To me, you honor these men beyond just that day they are inducted into the Hall. Regarding the 3 digit numbers, sure, it would look different at first, because we are not used to seeing it. Kind of like when we went from leather helmets to modern era helmets - it "looked funny" at first to us. But times change and the game evolves or dies.
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2014
  19. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +915 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    765ß
    I don't know...I think having your bust permanently in the Hall of Fame which is visited by tens of thousands of people yearly, having that yellow jacket and being remembered as one of the best ever is reward enough. As it is people will always remember what you did in the uniform. I think having a ring of honor, or a memorial set up somewhere is the way to go.
  20. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +3,024 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,724ß
    The fact remains that he did. And IMHO, you honor that achievement. Could Shea do it too? Sure. If he has his own number, and becomes a Hall of Fame player, then retire that one too. I doubt that he will, but hey, J'Marcus Webb could still be a Hall of Famer for another team and I could win the Lotto. But it's probably not going to happen. Iron Mike DID make it happen. That's not conjecture, it's Chicago Bears history. He made it into the HoF as one of "The Great Ones" for the Bears. Man, you never forget what these men did for our team. One way to do that is to retire their jersey. Again, I "get it" that most don't agree with me, and that's fine.