Chicago Bears 2014 Uniform Number Changes

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by BelieveInMonsters, Apr 22, 2014.

1. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,353 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    745ß
    That's a good point, and most do agree with you on this. I'd just like to see us go one step beyond that. And letting the number system evolve is fine with me if it allows us to honor these men appropriately - forever.
    • Like Like x 1
  2. BelieveInMonsters

BelieveInMonsters Veteran

Ratings:
    +198 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    I have to say it again. The NFL position-specific number system needs to go. It was adopted in 1973 (41 years ago) for reasons that don't apply anymore. College does just fine without it and the NFL went 53 years (1920-1973) without the numbering system as well. In addition the NFL should re-allow the use of the numbers "0" and "00" as well.

It would alleviate the retired number problems and it would make things fun and interesting for fans and players. It would no doubt result in more jersey sales of players who otherwise wouldn't have sold that many under the current system.
  3. DaTreeBears

DaTreeBears Veteran

Ratings:
    +650 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    331ß
    I hate retired numbers it's the dumbest idea. Honor a number for say 50 years bring it back with another ceremony. Bears have numbers retired of players no one has ever heard of let alone seen play. Bring those numbers back it just gets so stupid it's just a F'n number that's what the HoF is for. If it was temporary retiremnt of numbers other players could have their number honored aka Singletary, Hampton, Urlacher, Bob Avellini...(that number 7 should be burned instead.)
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +565 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    269ß
    Actually, I just thought of a way you could do. The Yankees have 2 number 6's retired. So retire the number per se, but it's still allowed to be used. This is really just a glorified ring of honor...but covers the jersey retirement thing.
  5. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +2,353 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    745ß
    I do understand that some fans think it's stupid. And many don't care about a guy who played 50 years (or more) ago. But think of it this way. Could you really imagine someone putting on Walter's jersey? It's not "just a number" but rather a way we remember the great ones. The greatest who have ever played the game. I like the idea of honoring them this way. It does make it special.

[​IMG]

Can you imagine a Cedric Benson type rook wearing 34?
    The thought of that would be sad. Real sad.​
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2014
  6. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,835 / 6 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,505ß
    I don't necessarily disagree but it's been done so long and it's so traditional that the NFL isn't about to change it. One reason they'll give, and have before, is that the officials depend upon it to know who the OL are so they can determine if they're downfield illegally. That's also why a lineman has to report as eligible if he's lined up in a receivers spot. They won't change it no matter what they do in college.
  7. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,835 / 6 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,505ß
    I don't think we'll ever see that either. No major sport does it and the Bears are the only team with so many retired jersey's and HOF players. The NFL and the other teams couldn't care less about that issue.
  8. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +2,353 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    745ß
    You're probably right that other teams may not care about the issue, simply because other teams are not as history-rich as the Chicago Bears. But change is just part of life. But change is hard for people too. Players hated going to face masks and heck, some players wouldn't even wear helmets at all in the beginning, before it was mandatory. But you know, we'd all survive going to a 3 digit uniform number.

As someone noted earlier, the NFL standard numbering system didn't exist before the 1970's. There was a time in the NFL when numbers rarely went above #25. And from the beginning there have been variations and changes in the number system. Some other sports have even had alphanumeric systems. I figure that just as we outgrew that old 1 through 25 numbering system, life will go on if we evolve to something new.

Change is hard, yet a constant in life.
  9. BelieveInMonsters

Ratings:
    +198 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Speaking of other sports numeric systems, MLB uses an unofficial system. It's the reason you rarely ever see a pitcher wearing a number from 1 to 19.

When was the last time you ever saw a pitcher wear a single digit number? That's MLBs unofficial uniform numbering system at work.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. DaTreeBears

DaTreeBears Veteran

Ratings:
    +650 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    331ß
    Sad thing 50 years after Walter's retirement in 2038 most football fans will never know what it was like to have seen Walter play or even know who he really was as a person. If they had reinstatement ceremony for that number for that player after 50 years and if I'm lucky enough to be alive at that time it would be great to reminisce on his legacy. Especially with my future grand kids as to who he was and why seeing his number back in action would be like bringing small potion of my childhood in a fun nostalgic type of way. The kids wouldn't care much but it would be great for the old fans to relive their cherished great players one last time. Because after another 50 years he just becomes another lost and forgotten old timer with number that's become stagnant and serving no purpose being retired.
    • Like Like x 3
  11. BelieveInMonsters

Ratings:
    +198 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    That's what a number retirement does though. It makes the younger generation want to look the player up and learn what he was all about.

We've all done it with the players we know nothing about.

It makes them immortal.
  12. DaTreeBears

DaTreeBears Veteran

Ratings:
    +650 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    331ß
    I'm going to take a wild guess and say 99.9% of football fans have never looked up a retired football number to find information on that said player.
  13. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +2,353 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    745ß
    Good points. I'm one of those nutty people who look up the old timers and read about them, and I even look up on the Internet pictures of them playing if there are any out there. I love learning about Chicago Bears history. But then again, I'm a history nut in general. Not just about the Bears. My kids grew up hearing me tell them all the stories about the Bears players of the past. I taped the old games on TV going back to an old betamax I had & my family and I still watch the old Bears games (I'm going to play one tonight......my son is stopping by). We'll watch Walter in his prime tonight. We'll hear John Madden give Pat Summerall a hard time & we'll laugh at the stupid jokes we've heard a zillion times over the past several years. BTW, those old betamax tapes and the old machine are long gone. I've replaced 'em with DVD's. Newfangled technology :-)

But I realize we now live in a throwaway society where yesterday's stuff is not worth knowing or remembering. That's fine. But I'm different. I treasure the past "Great Ones" from the Chicago Bears. Even the ones I never got to see play in person.
  14. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +2,353 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    745ß
    And I've long ago looked them up and read what I could about them. I'm in that 00.1%
  15. DaTreeBears

DaTreeBears Veteran

Ratings:
    +650 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    331ß
    Amen brother...today's youth to busy for the good old days.
  16. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,477 / 8 / -10
    ßearz ßuckz:
    412ß

I really want to work a joke about how he's talking about Shea wearing the number fifty is like when that family moved into that house built on the ancient burial ground in Poltergeist, but nothing's coming to me.

Anyhoo, it really shouldn't bother anyone if he wears that number, in my opinion.
  17. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Position Coach

Ratings:
    +1,535 / 5 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    717ß
    I still say a 3 digit number with the last two being the actual number. add a one to signify that the number has been retired once. a Two means it has been retired twice. That's it. Done. No need to change it again later. You aren't going to get one jersey number retired 9 more times for a VERY long time.
    • Like Like x 1
  18. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +565 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    269ß
    As a fan of teams with many retired numbers I can tell you I've never done it. And that's not because I don't care about older players, it's because as a fan of the team I know what they've done and who they are...I don't need to look them up because others have told me about them. That's why I don't find the retired number thing that big a deal. Retired number or not I would knew about Mickey Mantle because my father would tell me all about him...same with Butkus and many others. They've already been immortalized time and time again each time a father tells his son about them...the number is just a number...it doesn't make the man.
    • Like Like x 1
  19. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +2,353 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    745ß
    With the Bears you never know BIH. But if we did have 10 HoF players with the same number series we could go to exponents (or a square root system). Here's a guy who could devise the number system after that.

[​IMG]
  20. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +2,353 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    745ß
    Awesome post. Good for your dad, and all the dads who keep the wonderful Chicago Bears tradition alive like this.
    • Like Like x 1