Chicago Bears 2014 Uniform Number Changes

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by BelieveInMonsters, Apr 22, 2014.

1. BelieveInMonsters

ßearz ßuckz:
    176ß
    Please Register or Log in to Remove this Advertisement!
    That's what a number retirement does though. It makes the younger generation want to look the player up and learn what he was all about.

We've all done it with the players we know nothing about.

It makes them immortal.

2. DaTreeBears

DaTreeBears Pro-Bowler

ßearz ßuckz:
    604ß
    I'm going to take a wild guess and say 99.9% of football fans have never looked up a retired football number to find information on that said player.

3. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Assistant Head Coach
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    4,817ß
    Good points. I'm one of those nutty people who look up the old timers and read about them, and I even look up on the Internet pictures of them playing if there are any out there. I love learning about Chicago Bears history. But then again, I'm a history nut in general. Not just about the Bears. My kids grew up hearing me tell them all the stories about the Bears players of the past. I taped the old games on TV going back to an old betamax I had & my family and I still watch the old Bears games (I'm going to play one tonight......my son is stopping by). We'll watch Walter in his prime tonight. We'll hear John Madden give Pat Summerall a hard time & we'll laugh at the stupid jokes we've heard a zillion times over the past several years. BTW, those old betamax tapes and the old machine are long gone. I've replaced 'em with DVD's. Newfangled technology :-)

But I realize we now live in a throwaway society where yesterday's stuff is not worth knowing or remembering. That's fine. But I'm different. I treasure the past "Great Ones" from the Chicago Bears. Even the ones I never got to see play in person.

4. JustAnotherBearsFan99

SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    4,817ß
    And I've long ago looked them up and read what I could about them. I'm in that 00.1%

5. DaTreeBears

DaTreeBears Pro-Bowler

ßearz ßuckz:
    604ß
    Amen brother...today's youth to busy for the good old days.

6. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

ßearz ßuckz:
    942ß

I really want to work a joke about how he's talking about Shea wearing the number fifty is like when that family moved into that house built on the ancient burial ground in Poltergeist, but nothing's coming to me.

Anyhoo, it really shouldn't bother anyone if he wears that number, in my opinion.

7. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Assistant Head Coach
    DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    4,444ß
    I still say a 3 digit number with the last two being the actual number. add a one to signify that the number has been retired once. a Two means it has been retired twice. That's it. Done. No need to change it again later. You aren't going to get one jersey number retired 9 more times for a VERY long time.

• Like Like x 1
  8. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

ßearz ßuckz:
    3,061ß
    As a fan of teams with many retired numbers I can tell you I've never done it. And that's not because I don't care about older players, it's because as a fan of the team I know what they've done and who they are...I don't need to look them up because others have told me about them. That's why I don't find the retired number thing that big a deal. Retired number or not I would knew about Mickey Mantle because my father would tell me all about him...same with Butkus and many others. They've already been immortalized time and time again each time a father tells his son about them...the number is just a number...it doesn't make the man.

• Like Like x 1
  9. JustAnotherBearsFan99

SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    4,817ß
    With the Bears you never know BIH. But if we did have 10 HoF players with the same number series we could go to exponents (or a square root system). Here's a guy who could devise the number system after that.

[​IMG]

10. JustAnotherBearsFan99

SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    4,817ß
    Awesome post. Good for your dad, and all the dads who keep the wonderful Chicago Bears tradition alive like this.

• Like Like x 1