Chicago Bears' Charles Tillman will test free agency

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by ZifanQ, Jan 25, 2014.

1. ZifanQ

ZifanQ Pro-Bowler SuperFan

Ratings:
    +122 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Seems like Tillman wont get a new contract.. really reminds me of the Urlacher situation. Sucks for us fans, but at the end of the day it might be the best decision for the team. Of course nothing is final yet.
  2. little bear

little bear Assistant Head Coach

Ratings:
    +579 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    126ß
    Wanna bet he ends up in Tampa?
  3. 4dabers

4dabers Veteran DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +638 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    23ß
    I still think he'll stay, but I'm not betting a damn thing.:)
  4. mdbearz

mdbearz Veteran

Ratings:
    +280 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    19ß
    It could be another Briggs situation, also.

The Bears may have given him an offer that he thought he could get better else where.
  5. DavidL

DavidL Pro-Bowler SuperFan

Ratings:
    +599 / 4 / -17
    ßearz ßuckz:
    263ß
    In his situation, it makes sense to find out your market value before signing anything with the Bears. At this point, the Bears are looking at putting the money into the younger players. He'd be a good fit in Tampa, obviously. I heard Revis is not too interested in playing cover-2. He just wants to go man-to-man with other team's best WR, as he as always done. It will be interesting to see what Lovie does about that.
  6. tbear1

tbear1 Veteran

Ratings:
    +122 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    14ß
    I would rather have him shop around than overpay for him. I believe that Phil is/will be offering a fair contract. If Tillman leaves, I doubt it is over price. The guy has made a lot of money. After 11 years with a team, if the offer from the Bears is competitive why would he leave?
  7. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,467 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    260ß
    Look for the Bears to again offer a take it or leave it 1 yr contract to TIllman. The team is looking to remove Lovie players and to get younger/more versatile. I love Tillman, I would have loved for him to retire a Bear, but if he's playing next year I just don't see it as a Bear.

And honestly If I were him I'd be looking at another team closer to a SB win, he's only got a couple more years left, and the Bears are at least a couple away. Go get your SB shot in SF, Sea, NO's, NE, Indy, Den one of them could use his help, no doubt.
  8. tbear1

tbear1 Veteran

Ratings:
    +122 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    14ß
    Agree and the contract will reflect his age, which I am sure that Tillman does not like to admit he is getting old for the position. I am not so sure that there is an effort to replace 'Lovie' players. But, if the players don't like the staff I can see them taking a similar contract that the Bears offer so they can get away (or go to an old coach).
  9. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +486 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    307ß
    Tillman has been an excellent Bear on and off the field. Hate to see him go but if it is money he wants then he will be gone.
    Thanks for the many great years
  10. Jimmors

Jimmors The Rhymenoceros Staff Member SuperFan

Ratings:
    +3,999 / 8 / -5
    ßearz ßuckz:
    203ß
    Its nothing like the Urlacher situation, Tillman hasn't tuned down anything that we are aware of, nor did he promise the Bears any kind of hometown discount.
  11. ZifanQ

ZifanQ Pro-Bowler SuperFan

Ratings:
    +122 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    I know and nothing is final yet, but I don't think he is going to come back and it just reminds me of the Urlacher situation, beloved Bears player who won't get a new contract to end their career as Bears.. Urlacher of course did but most likely because nobody wanted to him that much. I just got a gut feeling he wont come back. Not saying this is a bad thing though
  12. 4dabers

4dabers Veteran DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +638 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    23ß
    I really don't think the FO is looking at this as another opportunity to "purge" a "Lovie player". I understand the concept, but I just don't believe that has anything to do with it. I actually have a gut feeling he WILL be back with the Bears, but my gut is wrong just as often as it's right, so take that for what it's worth. :)

I believe the two sides have talked and the Bears have shared this opinion: We want you (Tillman) to remain a Bear and we're pretty sure you would like to finish your career here, but we can't afford to keep you at what we've been paying you in your prime. We do not want the same situation we had with the media when Urlacher was let go, so check the market and see what kind of offers you get and then we'll see if we can match. We don't want to insult anyone with a low offer, so see what your services bring and then we'll talk.

I could be completely wrong, but that's what I think we're seeing.