Chicago Bears' Charles Tillman will test free agency

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by The Benjamin, Jan 25, 2014.

1. The Benjamin

The Benjamin George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +1,721 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    535ß
    • By Mike Coppinger NFL.com
    • Published: Jan. 25, 2014 at 02:55 p.m.
    • Updated: Jan. 25, 2014 at 03:49 p.m.
    Charles Tillman might be ending his 11-year career with the Chicago Bears.

The Pro Bowl cornerback's contract expires after the 2013 season, and Tillman will test the free-agent waters, NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport reported, per a source with knowledge of the player's thinking.

Tillman might return to the Bears, Rapoport added, but Tillman never has been a true free agent, so he will explore his options.

Tillman's 2013 season was ravaged by an assortment of injuries (triceps, groin and knee), and he was limited to just eight games. He did play all 16 games from 2010 to 2012, but it's unlikely the Bears will dole out anything approaching the $7.95 million he made in 2013.

"I'm not really worried about it," Tillman said, via the Chicago Tribune. "I have some decisions I have to make in the next couple of weeks, couple of months. I am just going to see what happens. I have some options, I have some thoughts."

The Tribune speculated that Tillman might attempt to reunite with new Buccaneers coach Lovie Smith in Tampa Bay. Tillman will be 33 next month (ancient for a cornerback), but would comprise a formidable duo with Darrelle Revis. The Bucs also have Johnthan Banks, who the team drafted in the second round of last year's NFL Draft.

Another option for Tillman is a move to safety, a transition aging corners like Charles Woodson and Rod Woodson made with success. The move would seem to be a natural one, as Tillman is one of the best in the game at forcing fumbles (40 career strips). But thus far, Tillman has balked at the idea, according to the Tribune.

The "Around The League Podcast" is now available on iTunes! Click here to listen and subscribe.
  2. The Benjamin

Ratings:
    +1,721 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    535ß
    Bye Peanut! Thanks for the memories, and the many Peanut Punches! Always a class act!
  3. BearJim

BearJim Veteran SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +146 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    15ß
    I don't want us to over pay for him but I think not making a solid effort to resign him would be a mistake, similar to Urlacher last year.
  4. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +445 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    48ß
    Yeah I wouldn't mind seeing a low hit, incentive loaded deal. Would hate to see him walk but if it hamstrings the team to keep him we will have to.
  5. Bearstuff

Bearstuff Yes, in the woods. Staff Member SuperFan

Ratings:
    +1,067 / 3 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    416ß
    Raise your hand if you are surprised that his agent/he says he is willing to test the free agent market. It's exactly the same as making your first move in chess using a pawn....not the only option, but indeed the most likely.
    • Like Like x 5
  6. GermansbombedPH

GermansbombedPH Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +42 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    If he would stay, he'd be signed by now
  7. butkus3595

butkus3595 Veteran

Ratings:
    +471 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    142ß
    I've never understood why he is so resistant to a move to safety. Kind of bothers me. I'd like to see him back though, at the right price of course.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Bearstuff

Ratings:
    +1,067 / 3 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    416ß
    In what fantasy world? It's in his best interest to at least pretend there is a high bidder elsewhere in the league. Either he would have been extended 9 months ago or we'd be in this very position now. There really is no in between.
  9. The Benjamin

Ratings:
    +1,721 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    535ß
    Pride
  10. dachuckster

dachuckster Veteran SuperFan

Ratings:
    +296 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    112ß
    Does safety play involve more contact/tackling than CB play? If so maybe Tillman sees staying at corner a way to play longer.
  11. butkus3595

butkus3595 Veteran

Ratings:
    +471 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    142ß
    Seems silly to me. Charles Woodson was 10 times the corner Tillman was and he moved positions. It's the same with Jeter never agreeing to move to 3rd....Ripken did it, and he's a legend...why can't you? Just bothers me.
  12. weneedmorelinemen

weneedmorelinemen Veteran

Ratings:
    +345 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    66ß
    I thought the first move was have your agent push a 2 year 11 million dollar contract at Emery. :)

The Bears have some big needs in the secondary. Tillman is going to go talk to Lovie in Tampa.
  13. phatdude

phatdude Rookie

Ratings:
    +30 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    This is unfortunate. I understand business is business, but this year when the defense was in the toilet, I felt Tillman played with the most heart. I hope he stays, but if he goes I think I can get over it.
  14. GermansbombedPH

Ratings:
    +42 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Like Jennings and Cutler and Slauson?

If they would have kept him, he'd be signed by now by the Bears. Like Jennings, he would have gotten a contract at the same time.
  15. The Benjamin

Ratings:
    +1,721 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    535ß
    They are also younger and dont need as much bargaining power to get a deal he wants
  16. Bearstuff

Ratings:
    +1,067 / 3 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    416ß
    Not necessarily. I didn't spell it out, but Peanut's cap hit for 2013 was 8 million, all in base salary, so if they were going to do the "market value" extension, they would have done it before last season and given him a signing bonus, etc. and lowered the cap number for last year. That is why it would have happened 9 months ago. Not that it couldn't be done a month ago. There was no motivation to do it (on Tillman's part) after the season because now he gets to see how big the market could be (a good gamble now that Lovie is in Tampa), no matter what Chicago brought to the table (which, given the current cap room & 28 free agents, wouldn't have been as much as "market"). Who really knows whether he has had negotiations/talks with the front office, given those two factoids?

You simply must understand the cap and market implications before you make assumptions about what is/was possible.
  17. GermansbombedPH

Ratings:
    +42 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    yeah, they could have restructured and extended him while doing this, they could do the same with Marshall if it wasn't for his relativly low Cap Hit without the guarantees.

Still say if he would stay it would have been done already
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  18. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,701 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    653ß
    said last year that the team was going to purge the Lovie players, and it will continue w/Tillman. Why they cannot do it all at once, or at all(Briggs still in contract) Jennings re signs(needed at least 1 cb on the roster) but looking at it, they probably are not bringing back Melton and Peppers is probably cut, no way they bring back Wrong and Steltz so while it will take 3 years(Briggs won't be back next year) there is an almost complete overhaul on D of Lovie guys.
  19. GermansbombedPH

Ratings:
    +42 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    that should have happened with Lovie too. They are too old and broken to continue. Lovie wouldn't have done it, but he should have.

Cutting Peppers is a business move unless he plays for free here and we can have him for the Cap Hit we will have him regardless. Jennings is young and good enough to be kept, no brainer.

Wright is just bad, Steltz could get kept. At least he is a solid and cheap depth saftey that's good on the STs. He is easily replaceable if Emery wants to move on.

Briggs is still a solid player that will help us and he still is signed. Not sure if he'll get a new contract. He won't because of Emerys drafting (Greene, Bostic, McClellin). Those are the LBs he's taken in only 2 drafts. This year could see us grabbing another LB.

Melton seems to have some problems away from the field and isn't as motivated as you want a player in his position. I'd say move on, keep Ratliff and draft a DT. Would only need another depth option with those 2 + Paea
  20. jackiejokeman

jackiejokeman Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +185 / 2 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    291ß
    We lost our LB corp last year with Urlacher, Roach and Hayes gone. And then the Briggs injury.

You may have noticed the DL riding into the sunset also.

Peanut and Jennings are all we have left at CB. Those are the facts.

Now what do we do ? Resign Peanut or go apeshit in the draft at CB when safety is the most pressing issue in the secondary?