Chicago Bears' Charles Tillman will test free agency

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by The Benjamin, Jan 25, 2014.

1. The Benjamin

The Benjamin George Halas
    Staff Member

ßearz ßuckz:
    4,226ß
    Please Register or Log in to Remove this Advertisement!
    • By Mike Coppinger NFL.com
    • Published: Jan. 25, 2014 at 02:55 p.m.
    • Updated: Jan. 25, 2014 at 03:49 p.m.
    Charles Tillman might be ending his 11-year career with the Chicago Bears.

The Pro Bowl cornerback's contract expires after the 2013 season, and Tillman will test the free-agent waters, NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport reported, per a source with knowledge of the player's thinking.

Tillman might return to the Bears, Rapoport added, but Tillman never has been a true free agent, so he will explore his options.

Tillman's 2013 season was ravaged by an assortment of injuries (triceps, groin and knee), and he was limited to just eight games. He did play all 16 games from 2010 to 2012, but it's unlikely the Bears will dole out anything approaching the $7.95 million he made in 2013.

"I'm not really worried about it," Tillman said, via the Chicago Tribune. "I have some decisions I have to make in the next couple of weeks, couple of months. I am just going to see what happens. I have some options, I have some thoughts."

The Tribune speculated that Tillman might attempt to reunite with new Buccaneers coach Lovie Smith in Tampa Bay. Tillman will be 33 next month (ancient for a cornerback), but would comprise a formidable duo with Darrelle Revis. The Bucs also have Johnthan Banks, who the team drafted in the second round of last year's NFL Draft.

Another option for Tillman is a move to safety, a transition aging corners like Charles Woodson and Rod Woodson made with success. The move would seem to be a natural one, as Tillman is one of the best in the game at forcing fumbles (40 career strips). But thus far, Tillman has balked at the idea, according to the Tribune.

The "Around The League Podcast" is now available on iTunes! Click here to listen and subscribe.

2. The Benjamin

Staff Member

ßearz ßuckz:
    4,226ß
    Bye Peanut! Thanks for the memories, and the many Peanut Punches! Always a class act!

3. BearJim

BearJim Veteran
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    114ß
    I don't want us to over pay for him but I think not making a solid effort to resign him would be a mistake, similar to Urlacher last year.

4. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

ßearz ßuckz:
    512ß
    Yeah I wouldn't mind seeing a low hit, incentive loaded deal. Would hate to see him walk but if it hamstrings the team to keep him we will have to.

5. Bearstuff

Bearstuff Yes, in the woods.
    Staff Member SuperFan

ßearz ßuckz:
    802ß
    Raise your hand if you are surprised that his agent/he says he is willing to test the free agent market. It's exactly the same as making your first move in chess using a pawn....not the only option, but indeed the most likely.

• Like Like x 5
  6. GermansbombedPH

GermansbombedPH Pro-Bowler

ßearz ßuckz:
    120ß
    If he would stay, he'd be signed by now

7. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

ßearz ßuckz:
    3,061ß
    I've never understood why he is so resistant to a move to safety. Kind of bothers me. I'd like to see him back though, at the right price of course.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Bearstuff

Bearstuff Yes, in the woods.
    Staff Member SuperFan

ßearz ßuckz:
    802ß
    In what fantasy world? It's in his best interest to at least pretend there is a high bidder elsewhere in the league. Either he would have been extended 9 months ago or we'd be in this very position now. There really is no in between.

9. The Benjamin

Staff Member

ßearz ßuckz:
    4,226ß
    Pride

10. dachuckster

dachuckster Pro-Bowler
    SuperFan

ßearz ßuckz:
    977ß
    Does safety play involve more contact/tackling than CB play? If so maybe Tillman sees staying at corner a way to play longer.