Chicago Bears Corey Wootton says he wants to stay but will likely test market

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by JustAnotherBearsFan99, Mar 4, 2014.

1. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,667 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,173ß
    FWIW

2. a_miljan

a_miljan Veteran

Ratings:
    +306 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    130ß
    they should all test it, that way they will know their real value, just like Brian, apparently we would have overpaid :)
    • Like Like x 1
  3. ZifanQ

ZifanQ Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +162 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    62ß
    Without Wootton we are pretty thin at DE and if we cut Peppers aswell it's more than thin. Bass+FA+FA+Washington+Draft pick? Unless we sign Bennett our DE corpse will be pretty bad.. I don't expect Bass or Washington to explode like Jeffery did this year.
  4. a_miljan

a_miljan Veteran

Ratings:
    +306 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    130ß
    Dear god, of course we will sign a DE, dont worry
  5. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß
    You think so huh? Will it be a guy or guys who can replace a future HOF'er and a young guy who was just breaking out in 2012 or more of Phil's one year bargain basement specials and guys who decide to retire right before camp begins.

I just posted on Wootton in another thread and yeah in this article he talks about rehabbing and getting ready for the season but without a new deal on Friday that all ends at Halas Hall. The get kicked to the curb and can't return unless Emery re-signs them and that goes for Melton, Collins and any other Bears player not under contract whose been using those facilities for any reason and currently there are 20 of them, many of them defensive guys.

Let's look at reality OK. There are only two starting level DEs in FA. Both will be looking for $35-$40 mil deals and these guys aren't even the best of the best as far as pass rushers go but the demand is high and the supply is low so they'll get it. After Clowney there isn't one DE prospect worth the #14 pick and two or three have fallen back into the late first or early to mid second rounds because they aren't impact pass rushers who can come in and make a difference at RDE. They're mostly LDE types and we have one of those already but we're letting him hit FA. Actually even FA Michael Bennett is far more of a LDE than a RDE so that leaves us with just one FA RDE, Michael Johnson. and no highly ranked RDE draft prospects.

Maybe Pep collects his $14 mil after all. As a RDE even at his age he's at least as good as the alternatives. Like they say there's no sense in panic before it's time to panic but there's no saying about high anxiety prior to the onset of panic. I think it may be time to get a little anxious.
  6. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +828 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    869ß
    Agree with all you said. This is a big reason I was proposing we need to resign Pep at $6M or so a yr. for 2 yrs to get some back up plan. Pep is not totally over the hill and with some help I think he may be ok providing we rotate a little more with him and other players. Ealy is the only draft pick outside of Clowney that could be a 43RDE. The others are tweeners or more like Truitt 34DE. Kareem Martin from North Carolina could be an interesting prospect in rd 4 or 5.
  7. omc1969

omc1969 Veteran

Ratings:
    +216 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    37ß
    The problem with "Tweeners" is that they will be "Projects" and the Bears need "NOW" players not projects.
  8. 4dabers

4dabers Veteran DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +747 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    89ß
    Relax guys...go grab a beer, it's 5:00 somewhere.:13_4_9[1]:
    This will take care of itself. :)
    • Like Like x 2
  9. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß
    LOL I did too much of that in the past brother and had to settle down. For awhile there it wasn't just 5:00 somewhere, it was 5:00 everywhere, especially wherever I was. I had a 24 wall clock that read nothing but 5:00. My liver was threatening to divorce me and with two ex-wives already I couldn't afford alimony a third time. :(

It will take care of itself but how is what I'm concerned about. As it stands I have more faith in my own ability to fix that defense than I do Emery's and that's scary! :eek:
  10. little bear

little bear Assistant Head Coach

Ratings:
    +910 / 1 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    904ß
    Let's just say that we're pretty much screwed if he signs elsewhere.
  11. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß
    I've been thinking about this quite a bit more tonight while I took a break in the action here and played some guitar for a couple of hours. A little pentatonic wankery always helps me relax and get the neurons fired up again. I wrote my thoughts in detail in the Peppers thread so I'll just summarize them here.

I'm coming to the belief that Pep doesn't want to stay here for a lesser salary as opposed to playing for Lovie or maybe even for Chico back in Carolina again. That's where he's from and where he started his career and he was a Panther far longer than a Bear. So it's kind of a poker game right now ergo Phil's response that when it's time to deal with it'll be dealt with. Well if a salary reduction was in he offing now might be a good time to get that done but we haven't even heard a whisper of a rumor about it from anyone.

Both sides hold winning hands though so in the terms of Hold 'Em that I understand it called a bad beat. If Pep won't accept a salary cut he knows Emery has to let him go eventually and then he can go wherever he wants to and probably get similar money. That's his hand and it's the eventual winner. Emery's hand is a winner at the moment because he can sit back and do nothing and just keep Pep until he finds his replacement in FA or the draft or maybe even work out a trade for him to get a pick or two if Pep agrees to a new deal with that team. So right now Pep has some value to him in several ways and he's trying to get as much mileage out of it as he can before he finally has to fold his hand on or after June 1. It's only a guess but the circumstances surrounding it all seem to fit.

So if Phil knows he eventually has to fold his hand how does he replace Pep? Bennett isn't really a RDE he's a LDE and a guy who can rotate to DT on passing downs so he's more of Wootton's replacement than Peps and knowing Emery and the Martellus connection he may be ready to take a real shot at him but not to replace Pep because he really can't. You're right about the draft in that after Clowney the talent at 4-3 DE drops off considerably. Ealy is the only other 4-3 DE who even comes close to a 1st round ranking. He's now fallen back to the back end of round one as maybe a 25-30 pick and both he and Hageman may both be more LDE guys than RDE guys too. Besides as I stands today there's no way you'd take him over Donald or Jernigan and maybe even a few other defensive player who aren't DLinemen.

So even if he opens the checkbook for Bennett he still needs a RDE who'll play for around $5 mil or even less and it needs to be a guy who can rush and create pressure. Enter Jared Allen on another of Phil's one year deals if he can get him for that although he may have to stretch it to two to get it done. Allen is two years younger than Pep and can still create some havoc as a pass rusher and once again they can platoon him a bit just like they'd need to do with Pep. Now you have your starting DEs and still have Bass and Washington signed plus the draft to add a guy in the middle rounds and see what you can get out of him in another year or two. The $14 mil cap savings from releasing Pep covers both of them and probably leaves some left over.

If they can sign Melton at DT fine but for what I think he's gonna ask for I'd take my chances with the rookie Donald if I can get him and make sure I sign Collins and Ratliff or someone whose at least their equals and you have your four man DT rotation and Bennett who can move inside to DT if and when needed. I have no idea at all whether this could work or if they're even thinking along these lines but cap wise it will work and even cash wise it will work if they can get both Bennett and Allen for fair market value. If they draft a rookie to replace Melton there's another pretty good chunk of change that can be saved and may be enough to sign the vet Safety they also need.

There's a lot of IFs here and a few holes in it as well but from a perspective of solving whatever problems I perceive are there this seems to work if these players can be had and we can draft right this time. It may be a little out of the box but not too far I think.
  12. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,286 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,454ß
    So reality is starting to set in w/everyone; that the DL is not just a 14th DT away from being fixed? 1-2 year wonders will do fine if they they stay healthy and are hungry to try and earn another contract(see dj williams and james anderson and Rattliff) and if they draft correctly behind them(see no one Emery has ever picked which is the big problem). Just get one or two areas fixed in FA(be it in the front or back 7) and then look to get the other area fixed in the draft and hope to add depth in the mid to later rounds.
    Biggest thing in this draft is Emery has to stop trying to be the smartest guy in the room and just go w/the best football playin' SoB on the board in the first 3 rounds and not combine studs.
  13. dachuckster

dachuckster Veteran SuperFan

Ratings:
    +341 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    174ß
    This ^^^^

I firmly believe that our success going forward will be building the team via the draft and not FA. We got two legitimate starters and a couple of player that may work out as starters this year out of last year's draft class. We need to do at least that well in every draft going forward.

Look at a lot of the successful teams in the league and see how many pricey FAs are on their rosters. It takes longer to build via the draft but in the end it is really the only way.
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2014
    • Like Like x 2
  14. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,334 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    375ß
    A) Of course not. Who said that?
    B) Agree completely
  15. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,286 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,454ß
    A) the general consensus on this board has beenthe DT is the only option at 14 regardless of if Melton is re signed or not, anyone who has had that opinion is who I am talking to.
  16. jackiejokeman

jackiejokeman Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +215 / 2 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    513ß
    The fun part is ... we dont know whats going to happen.

Soul is out playing guitar ... and JJ is is picking up his Stratocaster with the humbucking pickup.

Playing thru a WEST CONCERT GRANDE ... ahhh ... too much feedback !