Chicago BEARS defense ... back on track or recurring future scumbags?

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by jackiejokeman, May 15, 2014.

1. jackiejokeman

jackiejokeman Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +216 / 2 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    549ß
    The PISSER is nobodys been able to come up with what THE CHICAGO BEARS offense was ranked in 2012.

However in 2013 they were ranked 5th.

Speaking of 5th ... in 2012 CHICAGO BEARS DEFENSE was ranked that number against the run.

Uhhh ... thats CHICAGO BEARS DEFENSE ... you may have heard of those guys.

Not in 2013.

OK ... Im ready to get over it ... the key question here is ... what do we do now ?

Did the FA and the Draft make us whole again ?

Are we what made us GREAT in the past when it comes to DEFENSE in FA and this Draft?

A CHICAGO BEARS TEAM without a DEFENSE ... thats a SIN in the eyes of every BEARS fan.

How did we do ?
  2. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß
    The ingredients are all there now somebody needs to make a meal out of them.
  3. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Position Coach

Ratings:
    +1,941 / 7 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,296ß
    Soul. The ingrediants were there last year too. I think that's why I for one am still apprehensive as to how the D will perform even though I think we are well stocked now. We still have some potential issues and depth problems, but I don;t think talent is our problem at this point. I think everyone wants to see how the D plays this year.

Lots of excuses I don;t buy have been put forth. Bottom line is they have to play at least up to the level of talent that is on board.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Papa_Bear_7

Papa_Bear_7 Veteran

Ratings:
    +118 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    48ß
    All the stats are on NFL.com. They were ranked 28th. :icon smile slap::drinking61:
    • Like Like x 1
  5. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +754 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    551ß
    The ingredients may have been there in the beginning of the season, but the ingredients didn't stay healthy.
  6. beardownzona

beardownzona Rookie

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    True, if the injury bug doesn't hit da bears this year like it did last season, there is so much upside and potential for this vastly improved unit. Give it a couple of games for the defense to gel, just like last season it took the offense a couple of games to get it going and we can determine if it has improved or not. But my worries are in McClellin and Bostic, I hope they play their asses off for that starting position and continue to improve throughout the season.

NO MORE EXCUSES MEL SUCKER... TIME TO BEAR THE F*CK DOWN!!
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Chicago_66

Chicago_66 Veteran

Ratings:
    +406 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    96ß
    When all the ingredients were there (first threeish games) I thought we had a pretty good defense. In my opinion we look better for Week 1 this year than we did Week 1 last year.
  8. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,561 / 8 / -10
    ßearz ßuckz:
    571ß
    I really don't understand how injuries to 3 defensive tackles, one playing with turf toe, AND the top 3 DE's on the roster were largely ineffective (Peppers due to age and being the focal point of opposing olines, Wooton playing out of position at DT and Shea being played at a position he never should have) are an excuse. That's not even mentioning the rookie linebackers only played (and called plays) because of injuries to our 2 best linebackers, and were never supposed to hit the field. Also ignoring that our best defensive back was hampered by injuries in the little time he was healthy enough to play.

No, I think "reasons why the defense sucked last year" is being confused with "excuses" as an explanation for bad play, by many
    • Like Like x 4
  9. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß
    True, as the season began they were and then injuries took their toll. We might have survived on the line if Collins hadn't gone down too and Paea wasn't fighting that turf toe and we'd had at least one more vet in the rotation like Ratliff or Ellis or even Izzy. But to me the LB core and S positions were a mess. No one could step up and replace Urlacher's leadership and intensity and Wright looked like bagged it very early on. He played like he didn't want to get hurt.

I think Williams would have handled the physical part of MLB OK with little loss in performance IF he's stayed healthy too but the leadership and play calling is what really suffered. Bostic wasn't ready mentally or physically for MLB and I don't know if he ever will be. It's not his best spot. Forcing Tucker into running that same defense without it's QB and all of the other injuries was a big mistake. Either they keep Urlacher or they let Tucker run the D differently but the combination of injuries and lack of talent and leadership were a disaster.

There's nothing wrong with that Tampa-2 Lovie ran but it depends on a lot of team work and synchronization that just wasn't there. The fact that certain players didn't progress and other regressed I blame at least partially on Tucker and his DLine and LB coaches but those two are gone as well so there are no more scapegoats. Tucker has the talent and the depth to make that defense a whole lot better. His entire coaching career kind of depends on it so we'll see how he does.

If it were up to me he'd have been gone but quite a few players have supported him so maybe he does deserve another chance but one with a very short leash. At least now we have a guy in Pasqualoni who could take over if it does begin to fall apart. I'm just trying to put last year and all of those mistakes and plain old bad luck aside and just focus on this year. Tucker has more new pieces for his defense than Trestman got for his offense a year ago and quite a few are proven talents so all he has to do is put it together and keep it together this time.
  10. beardownzona

beardownzona Rookie

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    We were also playing in a outdated defensive scheme, where teams easily ran up the gut and got 5-7 passing yards on slant plays.
  11. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß
    The base defensive scheme isn't outdated, or if it is then at least 6 or 8 others are playing one that's outdated too, but it has to be played correctly to work. It wasn't. It's a one gap defense. Every lineman and every linebacker has one to cover and if he isn't in it there's a big old hole there even I could gain yardage through. A lack of talent, experience, and execution was what killed us not the 4-3 base defense.
  12. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,775 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,357ß
    Last year is over with. Time to focus on this season. If the D is solid this year then that's all that matters. If it's still a rotten defense then it's time to worry, but right now is a good time to be optimistic. Fresh new season and better players on D. Life is good.
  13. VJ18

VJ18 Veteran

Ratings:
    +83 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    27ß
    I think we go from 28th ranked to maybe 18th, pressure will be key
  14. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,419 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    438ß
    That's been the rallying cry of the Tucker-defenders who blame the D collapse last season entirely on injuries/poor depth. I do agree the D looked better the first 4-5 games (that's when the injuries really started to accumulate beyond just Melton alone). How could it not? It was epically bad afterwards and let me be clear I'm not dismissing injuries as a major factor. BUT....

I dispute the assertion that "everything was fine" early on. There were warning signs that were talked about then. We all, me included, glossed over them nervously with hope that they'd turn around. For instance, the DL had virtually no effective pass rush early on. Peppers and Melton were both coming off pro bowl seasons and were both ineffective. IIRC, Peppers had zero impact plays until late in week 3 when he recovered a sack fumble for a TD against Pittsburg. Combined Pep and Melt had only a sack or two total in the first 3 weeks and weren't in the backfield very much. We turned to LB blitzes to generate pass rush pressure.

In week 2, we needed a last play TD to avoid losing to Minnesota at home. Christian Ponder actually looked pretty good in that game for the Vikes...let that sink in a minute. We got scorched in the Pitt game and needed that great catch by Earl in the 4th to finally put it away. Even against the hapless Giants we nearly blew a big lead and let an over the hill Brandon Jacobs run all over us. The Detroit away game was a disaster on both sides of the ball.

Statistically and record-wise it looked better than it really was IMO. Actually watching the games told a different story--something wasn't right with the D even early on when injuries hadn't yet mounted up too badly.
    • Like Like x 3
  15. Chicago_66

Chicago_66 Veteran

Ratings:
    +406 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    96ß
    If anything I think you added credence to my point. Peppers and Melton weren't doing jack shit and then we were decimated by injuries. How is this Tuckers fault? I'm not saying Tucker is a great DC, but I don't think you can judge anything about him from last year. He was restricted to a defense and playcalling method that he didn't have the personnel for. That'd be like bringing Trest in and telling him we want to stick with what Tice was doing the year prior, it's not an accurate representation of what Trestman brings to the table. I'm not saying the defense looked like it was dominating those first few games, but it looked respectable.. looked like if it was coupled with a #2 scoring offense we could have at least made playoffs. Then we were ravaged by injuries in a huge, huge way. You've got no one to take pressure of Pep even if he was having a great year, which he wasn't, so they can double team him and laugh at the rest of our 3rd stringers and guys playing out of position.

Name a team that could withstand their top DE succumbing to old age (or at least play dropping off severely) their other DE playing at DT and losing essentially their top three DT's. Also, to replace the DE at DT they have a guy seemingly better suited for LB. Plus losing their starting MLB, for a long time their best OLB as well as their other OLB for stretches at time which forced rookies who weren't supposed to play, into game action.. essentially throwing them to the wolves making them learn their mistakes on Sunday rather then the practice field. Plus their number 1 corner taken out.

You really think that's an accurate representation of any coaches ability? That's like losing Kyle Long, Slausen, and Garza. Losing Marshall. Losing Forte and Bennett being hobbled all year. Plus being restricted to Tice's offense. Bet we wouldn't have been #2 and people would be questioning the hiring of Trest.

Once again, I'm not saying Tucker is the best DC in the world. But I also am not condemning the man freak set of injuries and horrible circumstances it created last year. He deserves another shot, in my opinion. And apparently Emery and Trest echo this sentiment. Emery isn't afraid to cut whomever and fire anyone, so if they didn't believe in Tucker I think he'd be long gone. I know we weren't world beaters early on but who didn't see a decline coming? Turnover at key positions (which also affected leadership), new DC, and aging players all around. I don't think we can say that it would have fell apart without seeing how the season unfolded without injuries. They weren't playing out of this world, but I don't think anyone expected that from the defense. Now if they struggled this year, while healthy, I think we can start examining Tucker as the probably cause. Until then, I call last season a wash.
    Last edited: May 15, 2014
    • Like Like x 2
  16. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +485 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    96ß
    I don't excuse Tucker like some did last year. I don't put the full blame on him but the complete lack of ability to stop any-damn-one was awful. I don't want to hear it this year. I don't care what happens this year, Emery has invested just about every available resource be it draft picks or dollars. If we look like we did last year, or anything close for that matter there is nobody left to blame. The excuses are gone. Hell, if we have resemblance to last year come the midway point I will be calling for Tucker to be sent packing and let an assistant finish the year as DC.

I know there are some that will give him a pass if it goes to hell. There is always something you can point to. But as someone (sorry I can't remember who) has stated over and over....He is either a winner or a loser and were going to find out real quick imo. Completely agree here.
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Chicago_66

Chicago_66 Veteran

Ratings:
    +406 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    96ß
    I like how Emery does that. He put together an offense that gave Jay zero excuses to not succeed in. He's now put together a defense that the right DC could turn into something pretty special, if Tucker isn't that DC I'm sure Emery will have zero qualms of finding one who can work with what he's given him. We better be getting some serious pass rush with these DL we're sporting. Emery has done about all I could ever expect out of a GM within his short time here.

2011 with JA's last season:
    QB: Cutler, Hanie, Enderle
    RB: Forte, Barber, Bell
    FB: Clutts
    WR: Roy Williams, Hester, Bennett, Knox, Sanzenbacher, Hurd
    TE: Kellen Davis, Matt Spaeth, Kyle Adams
    LT: Webb, Omiyale
    LG: C. Williams, Edwin Williams
    C: Garza, Spencer
    RG: Louis, EWill
    RT: Carimi, Omiyale

MLB: Lach
    OLBs: Briggs and Roach
    CB's: Tillman, Jennings
    DT's: Melton, Okoye (I think?)
    DE: Pep and Izzy
    S: Conte n Wright

You guys know what our team looks like now. Pretty impressive given what he started with. The worst thing was there was zero talent in the depth we had. It went from star player starting.. to special team player with no developmental talent or balance in between.
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +485 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    96ß
    And give credit to Trestman, he took what Emery gave him and ran with it. Now its Tucker's turn. Time will tell.
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Chicago_66

Chicago_66 Veteran

Ratings:
    +406 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    96ß
    I'm beyond impressed with Trestman. The #2 scoring offense after only one season with this team and using a back-up QB for quite a long stretch. Offenses take time to gel and with a playbook as massive and intricate as his it takes time to learn it and really, truly feel comfortable in it. This offense should get better these next few years. This offense could be scary good real soon.
  20. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +485 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    96ß

And THAT'S what a good coach does. We lost Cutler for an extended period of time. Did our offense absolutely tank? No, in fact we had a game (Dallas) where we didn't punt once. Sure we could have just fell off a cliff on offense too and Trestman could have had the "our qb got hurt" excuse. Did that happen? No. We actually had questions on who was a better option for us. Tucker can't prevent injuries, nor can Tresty or anyone. What he can do is have the backups ready and be able to manipulate factors to put the team in a position to succeed. Did that happen? No. Instead we just took a long walk off a short pier on defense and it costed us more than one game as well as a post season appearance.

Injuries are going to happen this year. It's part of any team at any level. Fact is you won't have 11 pro bowlers nor will you have all 11 starters play all 16 games. Good coaches adapt and change for the overall success of the unit. I really hope Tucker can do that, but his leash is as short as it can get in my eyes, and hopefully our front office's as well.
    • Like Like x 1