Chicago Bears Early Look Preseason Edition Week 3: Seattle Seahawks

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by BSBEARS, Aug 19, 2014.

1. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +760 / 4 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    751ß

by Cameron Curtis 3h ago

Overview: The Chicago Bears travel to the Pacific Northwest this week for a preseason matchup with the Seattle Seahawks. I’ve been excited about doing this post because, living in Washington State and being a non Seahawks fan, I am constantly berated by the “12th man” and consequently gather a lot of information on a team I normally wouldn’t follow closely. The Seahawks are 1-1 so far this preseason and, after a lackluster 21-16 week one loss to the Denver Broncos, really pulled it together for a 41-14 thrashing of the San Diego Chargers last week. The Seahawks really dominated the Chargers from start to finish in that contest (especially in the run game) and looked like the defending Super Bowl champs that they are. The Seahawks compiled 243 yards and 5 TDs on the ground during the course of the game and their starting offense had 4 scoring drives. This week’s matchup should be a good test for the Bears defense to see how far they’ve really come since last year.
    Injuries: Linebacker tops the list of injury concerns for the Seahawks, as former first round pick Bruce Irvin remains on the PUP list after hip surgery this offseason, Pro Bowler Bobby Wagner suffered a hamstring injury during the first week of training camp, Super Bowl MVP Malcom Smith is still recovering from ankle surgery and backup Korey Toomer also has a hamstring issue. They should all be fine by the start of the regular season, but are considered long shots to suit up against the Bears this week. The Offensive line has also been an issue for the defending champions early in the preseason, but have started getting healthy again which played a large role in the Seahawks dominance on the ground last week.
    Players to Watch: Running backs will be what I pay attention to the most when the Seahawks have the ball. The backfield is rather cluttered with incumbent Marshawn Lynch still leading the way, while they have added a number of draft picks in recent years. It will be intriguing to see who makes the final roster. With talented backups like Christine Michael and Robert Turbin, the writing appears to be on the wall for Lynch, who is nearing the age that running backs tend to hit the wall and has a hefty price tag. I’ll also be keeping my eye on the wide receivers. While Percy Harvin figures to be heavily involved in the offense, the rest of the picture is murky as the Seahawks attempt to replace the recently retired Sydney Rice and Golden Tate, who recently signed with the Detroit Lions. Second round pick Paul Richardson figures to be the second option at some point during the season, but will he be ready for the regular season opener?
    The Way I See It: I will be intrigued to see if the Bears’ revamped defense can contain the Seahawks’ monstrous ground game, but I won’t put too much stock in it either way it goes. A lot is made of these 3rd preseason games as dress rehearsals for the regular season. The starters play longer than usual and there is generally a little bit of game planning, but I sincerely doubt that the Bears will be showing all their cards until the regular season starts. That having been said, the defending Super Bowl champions should be an excellent test of the Bears’ mettle.
    What will you guys be watching for in this one?
    • Like Like x 2
  2. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +760 / 4 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    751ß
    I posted elsewhere but this writer appears to have a similar opinion as I expressed. Minimal game planning and will still play pretty vanilla schemes, he adds many of the injuries they have which I was unaware of so pretty sure the outcome of this game will have no BEARing on the season. Should be a nice measuring stick on how we stack up against the run, that will be the major take-away in my opinion.
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2014
  3. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Position Coach

Ratings:
    +1,626 / 6 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    899ß
    Same as the other games really, except that this measuring stick is the one that we can relate to how well we stack up teams in the post season.

Can our DL get to the opposing QB with regularity? Are we able to impose our will? Can we stop the SEA running game? The only person that the supposed fearsome pass rush (Allen, Houston, Paea, etc) is scaring is me. I don't see it and don;t understand why.

On the OL, are we able to protect Cutler? Can we finally start to open some running lanes?
    Are the LBs looking like they know where the play is going and get there first? Are they hitting hard? Are the CBs able to clamp down on the passes? Are the safeties getting to the WRs in time and are they having an impact?

On Offense, are we able to run the ball? If so, is the OL helping or is the RB having to find his own way? How well are the WRs getting open against the SEA defense?

In addition to the opponent specific items, I'd like to see some continued growth in the LB and Cornwash. I would like to see what Holmes has left and would like to see any kind of life out of ST.
    • Bear Down! Bear Down! x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,440 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    880ß
    I'm not worried about who gets the win here. But I do want to see the team look like it's ready for the season. This is "it" for the preseason (for our starters). They may not even play in the last PS game. So it's their chance to show that many of the preseason kinks have been worked out. I think I'll most be focused on our LB play. Not just Shea or Greene but the entire unit. Let's see how they perform against a quality opponent.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,068 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,144ß
    That final piece says how I feel. I'm not worried about this game. These are 2 teams are 2 on completely different levels, and how the Bears play them in the 3rd pre season game is no indicator of how they will play them come the playoffs(if the Bears get there).

It would be nice if the team can limit that ground game and get some qb pressure. I'm more interested in how Shea/Bostic continue to progress.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +599 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    315ß
    Great point! If you're looking at this game to see how the Bears will stack up with elite teams during the season I think you will end up disappointed.
  7. The Benjamin

The Benjamin George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +1,941 / 7 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    993ß
    Trestman basically said the same thing. From another thread:

In other words, don't over react if the team does not look crisp. They are once again not full game planning so the team may not look as good on offense or defense as you think they should.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. DavidL

DavidL Pro-Bowler SuperFan

Ratings:
    +692 / 5 / -22
    ßearz ßuckz:
    860ß
    I want to see whether the first-team defense looks ORGANIZED on the field, and not with guys running around all over the place, looking unsure of their assignments. All that crap should be getting ironed out if the coaches are doing their jobs.

Also, I will be focused on comparing Lane's performance to CornWash. All the marbles are on the table these last two games.
  9. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,911 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,756ß
    It's a good test of where we stand and no one should excuse that or deny it. If we aren't game planning much and scheming against them then it goes without saying that they're in the same boat correct?

Look, we have the 30th ranked defense so far this preseason. That means we still have a long way to go and we can all stop handing out excuses based about not game planning. Whoever has the top defense and the 28 others isn't game planning either so what does that mean? Better personnel or better coaching?

Seattle ran us ragged with their read option the last time we played them. Our current defense seems to me to be far better equipped to handle them this time but will they. Yeah, it's only a "practice game" but I believe you should practice as you intend to play. No excuses!
    • Bear Down! Bear Down! x 1
  10. The Benjamin

Ratings:
    +1,941 / 7 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    993ß
    No idea who seriously it how much game planning Seattle is putting into this game. I anyone knows, help us out. But most teams (apparently not the Bears) take this game very seriously and treat it like a real game for at least a half
  11. Ski-Whiz

Ski-Whiz George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +941 / 1 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    509ß
    I can understand why they wouldn't dedicate everything to scheming, but how can you evaluate players that you may not have in position, or the right coverage/package in place. (Defensive side)

If they aren't scheming and they just want to evaluate players name the starters already. I'm solely talking about defense. Trestman is clearly active on the O side. So I see him doing things.

I just don't see what direction the defense is going. Surely we'd know by now.
  12. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,911 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,756ß

Benji every team uses the first half and sometimes part of the 3rd quarter to play their vets in the third preseason game. It isn't just the Bears. They'll be doing it here in Denver and in 30 other cities too.

Teams will do some game planning for this but not like they do in the regular season because there isn't enough time to be watching player evaluations tapes and fleshing out a game plan too. It's pretty much the same with every team in the league. The Bears aren't an exception to the rule.
  13. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +599 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    315ß
    The Seahawks were SuperBowl champs...the Bears were not...should we surprised or shocked if at this point in the (pre)season they are better than us?
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. The Benjamin

Ratings:
    +1,941 / 7 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    993ß
    Was talking specifically about how much game planning, not how long they would play
  15. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +2,440 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    880ß
    +1
    The key is not how we match up against this opponent so much as how we show team and individual player progress from week to week. Are the players improving or not is the key. This is what I am most interested in. Are we getting better?
    • Like Like x 3
  16. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +2,440 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    880ß
    I agree completely. It's all about our own players making strides - or not.
    • Like Like x 1
  17. MikeGolf97

MikeGolf97 Rookie

Ratings:
    +39 / 2 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    46ß
    I hope they spend the first half running the ball down our throats so we can see how our defense can handle it. But i am sure the seahawks are more concerned improving their pass game and not what will make us better. On the other side of the coin if our oline can hold up to their dline that will be a good sign.
    • Like Like x 3