Chicago Bears OTAs: Latest Player Reports and Analysis

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by riczaj01, May 26, 2014.

1. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,434 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    194ß
    http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...bears-otas-latest-player-reports-and-analysis

Chicago Bears OTAs: Latest Player Reports and Analysis

By Ross Read , Featured Columnist
    May 26, 2014

The rookies got their chance to get on the field and show the coaching staff what they can do in rookie minicamp. Shortly after, they were blended in with the veterans as OTAs kicked off.
    This really serves as a chance to see what the first year players are made of and how this team will begin to gel together. Head coach Marc Trestman has the tough task of blending the groups in an effort to get the Bears back into the playoffs.
    Here is the latest news from OTAs and analysis on what has happened so far.
    You don't draft a punter and then not fully commit to him. The Bears have full confidence in sixth-round pick Pat O'Donnell.
    On May 18, the Bears released punter Drew Butler. He was initially brought in back in December to compete at punter.
    Tress Way is still on the roster, but it's clear after the first round of minicamps and OTAs that the Bears feel very comfortable going forward with a rookie as their punter. Way will likely be cut at some point in training camp.
    Jordan Lynch was a star quarterback at Northern Illinois, but he also proved to be a very prolific runner. The Heisman finalist racked up over 3,500 yards on the ground with 42 touchdowns over the past two seasons.
    The Bears signed Lynch as an undrafted free agent and decided to try him out at running back. So far, Lynch has shown the awareness and ability to play the position.
    If Lynch wants to make this team, he's going to have to do the little things like block and play special teams.
    He's already impressed special teams coach Joe DeCamillis with his athleticism and openness to learn. Lynch will have to leap over second-year back Michael Ford to make this roster.
    When the Bears were looking for a backup in the draft, they wanted a smart instinctual player who could make an impact when Matt Forte came out the game.
    Rookie Ka'Deem Carey looks like he shares those characteristics. He's already impressed offensive coordinator Aaron Kromer with his instincts and ability to get up the field.
    The team has to be confident in what they see so far from Carey. Last season's backup Michael Bush only rushed the ball 63 times. It was a career low in attempts for Bush.
    Carey still needs to work on the little nuisances that come with being an NFL running back. Blocking and speed are two big ones. He's already showing the flashes that made him Arizona's all-time leader in rushing yards (4,239) rushing touchdowns (48) and all-purpose yards (5,483).
    Marc Trestman has a year under his belt now as head coach in the NFL. He seems to be taking a more aggressive approach this offseason in an effort to change the tides and get the Bears back in the postseason.
    Trestman realizes he needs to build on last season's success on offense. Rookie quarterback David Fales used words like "chaos, bring the rage [and] intense" when describing his first experience with Trestman, according to Michael C. Wright of ESPN.com.
    There are new veteran assistant coaches on defense tapped with the task of getting the unit back to respectability.
    Defensive line coach Paul Pasqualoni has to blend two rookie defensive tackles in with some stud defensive ends, and linebackers coach Reggie Herring has to find a way to get the most out of Shea McClellin and Jon Bostic.
    Trestman wants this whole team to come together quickly. He even moved all the lockers around before the start of the offseason program. They are no longer separated by position. Offensive and defensive players are now next to each other to build unity.
    Is there anybody living it up better than Brandon Marshall right now? Fresh off his appearance on ABC's The View where he signed his three-year, $30 million extension, Marshall has been everywhere.
    Marshall has been on SportsCenter recently talking about his new deal and foundation for mental health awareness. It has been a whirlwind tour for Marshall, and he's had a big smile on his face throughout it all.
    In a press conference announcing the deal, Marshall praised the Bears organization and head coach Marc Trestman. He called Trestman the "best in the business" and had nothing but great things to say about the position Trestman has put him in to succeed.
    Marshall has his sights set on putting up Hall of Fame numbers. He has set career goals going forward and named Hall of Fame receiver Chris Carter and his accomplishments as a barometer he'd like to eclipse.
  2. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,434 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    194ß
    Good, albiet bland article, and a bit outdated as Tresty moved the lockers around last year.
    But again it bodes well that Kromer liked Carey and Lynch, Ford has to be better and much more improved then he was last year to make this squad.
    btw I agree, O'Donnell basically has the P position to lose which is why they let Butler go, you really don't need 3 P's in OTA's/TC if you know you got the one you want.
    I really hope, the LB's coach and mold these kids(not just Bostic/Shea) into something b/c as much as I like Briggs/Williams neither scream 16 game starters this year, so Greene/Jones are going to need to develop quickly also, and that's asking a lot.
  3. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,810 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    69ß
    One thing I really like this year, is that we have serious competition for making the roster. That is a win/win situation no matter who makes the final 53 roster. Emery has provided Trestman with high-quality players to compete against each other between now and the regular season beginning. Love it.
  4. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,434 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    194ß
    Ya the only real areas where there isn't legit depth is LB(albeit the best of the 'weak' squads), S and TE; and at least TE has a quality starter.
  5. strockrocks

strockrocks Veteran

Ratings:
    +189 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    This article makes no sense. The author states that rookie camp is over and the rookies have now 'blended in with the veterans as OTAs kicked off"...."here is the latest news from OTAs"....

Unless I'm living in a Bears bubble which I don't think I am, OTAs have not begun yet. I believe that is tomorrow. I'm confused..
    • Like Like x 1
  6. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,434 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    194ß
    It's a poorly worded sentance, OTA's haven't started. I think the guy uses the same format and probably placed that in there not thinking about the fact it won't start today.