Chicago Bears: Possible Surprise Cuts of Preseason

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by BSBEARS, Jul 19, 2014.

1. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,258 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    2,049ß
    Please Register or Log in to Remove this Advertisement!
    First off, I like Garza and he has been a great player pick up for us. Lots of questions when we signed him as he is missing cartiledge in his Knee if I remember correctly and he has been solid for several years with the Bears.

As far as not in competition, I read that too when they signed Garza but I really hope that is not the case. No player can be given a spot, DLP should be given the opportunity to win the position and quite frankly, I expect him to beat out Garza. A couple years ago I would have picked Garza, but he started breaking down a bit last year in my opinion. We also have a hard time running the ball up the middle in short yardage situations and Garza is a large part of that. If DLP can not do better than that then we need to find two more players. We have to be able to run the ball in from inside the 5 yards line, especially the 2 yard line and this to me is probably one of the major weaknesses we did not resolve last year. This is the main reason I hope to see Garza replaced hoping DLP can get it done.

As far as the rookies, as I stated:

2. weneedmorelinemen

Ratings:
    +520 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    278ß
    A couple years ago, I would have taken DLP, and I'm a Garza fan. Garza had a bad 2012 under Tice while DLP had an amazing one. I don't think one poster here would have chosen Garza over de la Puenta back then.

As for the rookies, how would they have a great showing at center when they are not going to get a shot playing there? Between Garza getting starting reps, and DLP and Boggs playing center on 2nd team if DLP is playing 1st team guard for Slauson still, there's no room barring injury to prove anything.

How the hell could they "prove" they could play two positions well enough when they won't get a shot to play one? If either one was better at center than Roberto is now they'd have gone higher in the draft.

3. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler
    SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,917 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    713ß
    I haven't seen any data that tells me that de la Puente would do any better in short yardage or goal line situation than Garza so until there's some data available that shows it to be true I'm not assuming that's the case and that simply replacing Garza would help.

To hang 100% of those failures on Garza when he's playing next to one rookie OG and another known more for his pass blocking work than his run blocking is heaping way to much of the blame on just one guy. Add to that a RB whose never been a great straight ahead power runner and the recipe for success on short yardage runs lacks more than just one ingredient.

If only to repeat what's been said and printed before, Garza is the emotional leader of that line so if you remove him over just one type of play a team runs just a handful of times a game then you risk doing the same thing to your OL that losing Urlacher from the defense did last year. Sorry but you can't under value the leadership and stability Garza bring to that line right now.

My guess is that de la Puente is here not just to backup at OC and OG but also to get the lay of the land and to build a relationship with the other linemen so that he can replace Garza. If you took Garza away now I can guarantee you'd end up with some unhappy guys and Kyle Long would be the first to tell us that.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  4. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka
    DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +4,139 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    2,493ß
    Problem w/not putting the majority of the blame on Garza, and not the rookie, the vet known for PB'ing or the RB not great at running inside is that these were issues before the OL was replaced, and all of the RB's broguht in for short yardage sucked at doing it also. The one constant is Garza, and he was old before the fix, now he's 2 years older.

Slausen and Long might well have contributed, no doubt they did, but their upside is still there. While Forte does struggle on the inside, I think he proved last year that when the blocking is there he can do it.

I don't see Garza going this year, but I could see it if BDLP just shows that much more, that's just not going to happen.

5. weneedmorelinemen

Ratings:
    +520 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    278ß
    Something to consider for the complaints about run blocking. We all know run blocking for guards and the center is more complex than pass blocking. Really, pass blocking for a guard is "Don't Let Guy Get Past". I kind of think since the Bears sucked at both for so long, Kromer and Trestman put a premium on keeping Cutler upright and giving him an interior pocket. I don't know if they really emphasized run blocking so long as they were keeping the QB protected. When you have so many new pieces, and two starting rookies, you just want to get through the season, and not worry so much about the timing and, God, I hate to say it, but the line gelling together because there was no continuity with four new guys on the line.

I think this year, we are going to see Kyle Long destroy some humans on the defensive side of the ball. And, while Garza is absolutely going to be starting week 1 of the regular season, Kromer is very quick to move on from incumbent players that aren't getting it done a la Webb style. Given his past relationship with DLP, I could easily see him ending the season at center if the guards are still healthy.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. mdbearz

mdbearz Veteran

Ratings:
    +399 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    200ß
    Weems is the only cut that I see is realistic, the others are starters/vet back-ups.

I like Demontre Hurst as a kid that could step in (as depth and ST) if Hayden gets hurt again.

7. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler
    SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,917 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    713ß
    Bingo! I believe it's exactly that. It takes a while to install a sophisticated zone run blocking scheme but when it works well there are huge running lanes for a RB to use if he has the vision and instincts to get to them. It's exactly the type of scheme Forte will run best behind because it's built for a one cut type back which he is. Still, it takes time for both the line and the back to get that dance down because often a defender is left unblocked and it's up to the RB to avoid him and make haste for the lane that's been opened.

Tice often claimed he used some of that type of blocking but he never really did and I don't even think he can coach it correctly. Even behind a line with 4 new players, two or whom were rookies, Forte had his most productive year as a runner. With another year under their belts all of them should be a little better at it this year. Personally I though we passed a little too much last year and I'd like to see us use the backs more often especially if our passing game can get us some quick scores and a nice lead.

We're up against some good teams with some good QBs this year and 6 games in our own division come against good QBs. Yes I'm even gonna include Bridgewater in that because I think he'll be a big improvement over Ponder or Cassell for Minny. We need to find all of the ways we can to win TOP battles and to me that says have a great running game because if not we're gonna be in some shootouts and that's not Bears style football.

8. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,258 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    2,049ß
    So it seems everyone just want to hand the job to Garza. What happened to best man wins.

9. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler
    SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,917 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    713ß

Um, I don't think you understand just how much of a leader both in the locker room and on the field Garza has become. It's not about just handing him the job. There's also more to playing OC than just X's and O's.

He's the QB of he OL. He makes the line calls, he gone into battle with them, and the other guys trust him. When it's time for DLP to take over I'm sure he will. That's why they brought him here this year. Let those guys develop some of that same trust in him and then he starts.

If de le Puente proves to be the better player and OL leader then I think we can all assume he'll play but if it's "even steven" the nod goes to Garza. I haven't seen a single stat or metric that proves DLP is a better run blocker in short yardage situations than Garza so I have to go with Garza until he's been beaten out for the job and so far that hasn't happened and I'm not assuming it will.

10. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,258 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    2,049ß
    I agree DLP needs to win the job outright, I do not want to give it to him either, they need to compete and the best man wins. Thats why all these are predictions right now. DLP had some good years with the Saints and my feeling is he is better than Garza at this point in their careers. You are correct on the line calls though, that may be what keeps Garza in as the starter, however DLP made the same calls for the Saints with Kromer so I presume he knows them potentially better than Garza as he knows Kromers system for many years compared to one Year with Garza and Kromer.