Chicago Bears: Predicting Every Roster Battle Winner

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by JustAnotherBearsFan99, Jun 12, 2014.

1. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,392 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    812ß
    What do you guys think?

• Like Like x 1
  2. JJ-30

JJ-30 Veteran

Ratings:
    +153 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    41ß
    Damn I just about disagreed with every one of there picks.
  3. jbunch14

jbunch14 Veteran

Ratings:
    +162 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    65ß
    That's funny, as I AGREED with almost every one of them. For Fendi, it's going to come down to his performance in camp and especially the pre-season games. If Conte is healthy, it will be a close competition for the FS spot, but I think he holds it for at least the first part of the season. Groy vs. Brown? Don't know.
  4. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +450 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    59ß
    As did I. Only one I'm not sold on is Palmer v Clausen. Either could win it, but I just have this feeling that maybe they don't have as much confidence in Palmer as we thought. Its ironic that Fales looked bad and Clausen was brought in. With Palmer losing reps to that injury, it only helps Clausen.
  5. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,221 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    260ß
    Put me in the AGREE category with everything the author wrote except one: don't have confidence in Fendi
  6. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,870 / 6 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,619ß
    This is a great article. No matter whether you agree or disagree with his picks IMHO it was well thought out and well written. Good find brother. :cheers:

I'll throw in my 2 cents worth here. Anyone have change for a dime? :icon smile slap: (yeah I should be bitch slapped for that, I know)

Backup QB; I'm beginning to see it just that way. Clausen is here to push on Palmer and to become a 2nd option for a vet backup. My guess is that they now feel Fales is gonna need more time to develop well enough to play so they insert Clausen in between him and Palmer with the expectation that Clausen will win out and Fales can be stowed away on the PS. If they play it right I think they can get that done without losing him through waivers. They just need to make sure Fales doesn't get many snaps or show too much in preseason.

Clausen is still young enough to be considered a developmental prospect too especially after his horrible showing at Carolina his rookie year. So in a manner of speaking he and Fales are guys who'll compete against Palmer for that #2 spot in another year or so. Clausen also fits into Emery's profile as a QB selected high enough and with enough talent to eventually become a starter so he's protecting himself and the team against losing Cutler to a season ending injury somewhere down the line or if Cutler never does fulfill his destiny. It's all about adding quality depth which is exactly what he said he'd do.

Slot WR; I think it's gonna be Wilson by a landslide but Morgan will be a nice reserve to have as a cushion against any serious injuries. I would have been far more in doubt about Wilson's ability to hold up physically if he was still that skinny 20 year old we drafted. If the reports are accurate though he's gonna be playing somewhere between 205-210lbs and from the looks of him he has added some weight and muscle. I'd like to believe working out with Marshall and Jeffery assured that along with a whole lot of other things.

If BMarsh could work the wonders he did with Jeffery last year I can only imagine what both of them working with Wilson this year could do. Jay loves big tall receivers and if we can line up three who go 6'5", 6'4" and 6'3" plus a 6'6" TE he's gonna have a field day playing pitch and catch with that bunch. So at just 6'1" Morgan will probably take a backseat but he's gonna make the team and be there if Wilson fails.

Backup TE; I'm not sure there isn't room for both since they aren't exactly the same type of player on offense and also because Rosario plays STeams pretty well. They kept Onobun on the PS to continue trying to develop him for a reason and I think that #2 TE spot is his to lose. The package he brings is just too good to overlook if there's any chance that he can get his act together.

He gives Cutler another TE option whose every bit as big and fast as Bennett and he's proven that he can block too but if Onobun doesn't catch the ball or screws up on his routes Cutler will be blind to him as fast as you can say bye-bye Fendi and they'll probably cut him before the season is over just as soon as they can find another to replace him. If the pickings for vet TEs weren't so slim he may not even be getting this chance but they are so this is his chance and probably his last chance. If he screws it up his career is probably over.

Backup OG; To tell the truth as long as we have de la Puente and Eben Britton and a rookie LT prospect in Leno I'm not sure either of these guys make the final cut. Along with the starting five this makes eight OLinemen and we usually dress seven for a game. Brown was a LT in college so he may have an advantage over Groy in that respect but only if he's also better at LT than Leno and he hasn't proven that yet at all or they wouldn't have kept Scott on the roster last year.

What the author is saying makes sense though. Brown has had his shot and he's not shown any signs of stepping up so maybe it's time for someone else to get a shot. I don't think the point about him being a holdover from Lovie's day makes any difference though because if I recall Emery was the GM when they signed him. Groy is one of those "road grader" run maulers that Wisconsin churns out every year but he'll typically be weak in his pass blocking skills so Kromer and Pat Meyer have their work cut out for them in that regard. Groy may end up on the PS since he has eligibility and Brown doesn't. I also have no idea what he's talking about as far as the money they spent getting him. I don't recall any of the UDFAs getting any kind of huge signing bonus.

MLB; I'm thinking this may be the biggest surprise of all once the season begins. I'd have to agree that it's time to find out whether or not Bostic can handle a MLB responsibilities as a leader and get the job done a hell of a lot better than he did last year. If he can't then IMHO he needs to start to understudy Briggs and plan to take over at WLB as soon as Briggs hangs it up. But....if he can handle the MLB spot then we need to plan for another to take over for Briggs and that would mean Greene and Jones need to get some work there to see if one or the other has the goods or it means we need to be looking for a WLB as soon as next winter depending on whether or not Briggs returns.

If he can't handle MLB that puts McClellin in the mix there as well although I really think they'd prefer to have him on the edge at SLB. With DWill's injury history it hard to depend on him for 16 games but it should be a good battle between the two for the #1 spot. The nice thing about having DWill is that if Bostic does start DWill is a great backup to have at both MLB and SLB kind of like having Hayden as the 4th CB. Vet depth is nice to have when you're shooting to win a championship.

SLB; Equally interesting here but it's most likely McClellin's gig to win or lose. If Bostic doesn't win out at MLB he'll probably be the #4 LB and backup at both MLB and SLB or it will be DWill doing it if Bostic gets the nod to start at MLB. Injuries or ineffective play could cause some shifts in this as well as the season goes on. Personally I think that with McClellin playing behind a top run stopper like Houston that he's gonna thrive at LB.

So far Greene is an enigma because although he was a very good college player he looked like crap last year. So bad that if he doesn't improve by at least 100% or become an invaluable STeams guy he may not even make the team. Christian Jones will be pushing for a roster spot and if he outplays Greene I'd expect him to get it. Greene didn't do himself any favors with the coaches last year.

FS; This one I'm not so sure I agree with. By the time Conte can return to practice Vereen will have a huge advantage in playing time in OTAs and camp. To think Conte will walk right back in and take over is pretty optimistic. I think Vereen is gonna make that very hard to just happen. The two could battle it out the whole month of August before they settle on one of the other.

One benefit though is that if Conte does start he'll have earned it and we'll see much better play from the position this year and we'll have a very good #2 behind him in Vereen who'll be ready to play if Conte should fail. With Mundy in line to lock down the SS spot and Conte and Vereen battling for FS it looks to me like we're far better off at Safety than we were last year.
  7. Chicago_66

Chicago_66 Veteran

Ratings:
    +364 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    55ß
    I think MLB is a toss-up and either winning wouldn't surprise me. At TE I think we could keep both but I think Fendi shows up this year. Otherwise I agree with his choices. I think Vereen will push hard for playing time but I think Conte will still will it. If Vereen wins I'll be happy that we drafted someone that good but I like Conte. I really thought Brown was going to be good, but with Slausen gone he didn't even get practice reps? Maybe not. Goodbye Brown, lets see what Kromer can do with Groh.
  8. little bear

little bear Assistant Head Coach

Ratings:
    +848 / 1 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    772ß
    This is not my prediction, but how I would like it to be:

Backup QB: Clausen - more experienced, more accurate.

Slot WR: Wilson - younger, better size, more upside

Backup TE: Onobun - as long as he's shown us he can actually catch and run!! - good size

Backup OG: Brown - Groy is a cheesehead

Middle LB: Bostic - just give him the chance to prove he's not a complete bust

Strong Side LB: McClellin - I've heard so many good things about him in the offseason

Free Safety: Vereen - probably my favorite pick of this year's draft
    • Like Like x 1
  9. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,392 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    812ß
    This ^^^^^
    is how I see it too. I have a feeling that this is how it will all go down. Obviously, injuries between now and that first regular season game will change things up here - and even in training camp there will probably be some injuries in the mix. I just hope none of them are major injuries.

And this brings up another question for everyone. How good is our depth this year as compared to last year? How do you see it? I'm really curious to find out how others here view our 53 man roster depth for this season. I believe the success or lack of success this season will depend a lot on the strength of our depth. In the end, this may be the difference between winning or losing the division, and also in determining if we are a playoff team that can WIN in the playoffs. I think depth is key. Do you see us as being solid enough in depth to overcome the injuries we KNOW will come?
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2014
  10. weneedmorelinemen

weneedmorelinemen Veteran

Ratings:
    +378 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    99ß
    Brown is gone barring injury, but I don't know why they are listing Groy as his replacement on the 53. I figure the Bears will carry 8 linemen. That's the starting 5, Britton, DLP, and Leno because we drafted him. Groy may make it on the practice squad. That the Bears had to pay extra money to get him to come as a UDFA is what all the teams have to do. They need linemen to run 1's and 2's 11 on 11 drills, and linemen are in the most demand. Doesn't mean that guy is making the roster over a drafted guy in Leno.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. weneedmorelinemen

Ratings:
    +378 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    99ß
    I don't know if I would hang my hat on Claussen's "accuracy".
  12. little bear

little bear Assistant Head Coach

Ratings:
    +848 / 1 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    772ß
    But still more "accurate" than Palmer. lol
  13. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,870 / 6 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,619ß
    :rofl2::bah: Nuff said! (you don't like my Badgers lb? :cry:)
  14. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,870 / 6 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,619ß

Hell, with the catching radius of that bunch we have all any QB needs to do it get it within a city block of them and they'll probably come down with it. :5v[1]:
  15. weneedmorelinemen

Ratings:
    +378 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    99ß
    Eh, when Claussen played as a rookie, that ball was all over the place. Steve Smith went berserk on him on the sidelines after one errant throw. I would not say he's lights out above Palmer in accuracy. I thought he threw the ball pretty well in that 4th preseason game.
    • Like Like x 1
  16. GermansbombedPH

GermansbombedPH Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +53 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    30ß
    I don't agree with Conte and Groy
  17. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,221 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    260ß
    Good breakdown, Soul, and hard to find any fault in your best guesses.

You made a really good point about limiting Fales' exposure in PS as a means of sneaking him on the PS. I had thought it might be tough to get and keep a drafted QB there but that may be a way to do it. From what I've read (and doing a little reading between the lines as well) Fales has a LONG way to go to even be a viable backup. My guess is that the coaching staff saw how raw he was in person and knew there was no way this guy was anything more than a 2015 TC prospect at this time so there's your motivation to sign Clausen (who's more than likely got the inside track for the #3 spot). Hopefully, Fales gets a full year on the PS otherwise there's not much point in drafting a guy in effect for another team who pilfers him.

And at TE, I don't see Fendi supplanting Rosario. If FO makes it, it will be at the expense of someone else IMO. The team trade a pick for Rosario and re-signed him (twice!) so that tells me he's not likely to be cut outright.
  18. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,870 / 6 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,619ß
    I believe there's room for both Onobun and Rosario too and I think there would have been last year too if Onobun hadn't flubbed his shot in preseason. Rosario is really an HBack type not an inline TE so in order to fairly backup Bennett we need a guy with Onobun's size and potential. We can live with 5 WRs instead of 6 WRs if Onobun is up to it because he has the speed to line up in the slot or even outside if they need him to.

I think part of Fales problem is that he lacks an NFL arm or at least one that would put him even in the same county as Cutler. In a WCO it's more about velocity and throwing a tight/catchable spiral than it is having a gun to throw 70 yards down field. (Cutler can do that too) Even in Fales highlight vids I noticed that he throws a lot of wobblers and they'll need to fix that before they can let him play. We throw too many passes into tight coverage to have a QB who can't put in on the money with some zip and I don't believe he has that yet. So if we can get him onto the PS and give Cavanaugh and Trestman a year to work on his delivery and his velocity maybe we have something in him and in the meantime we have Clausen who has a very quick release and can throw a pro ball.

There aren't a whole lot of openings on this team but where they exist Emery has made damn sure they'll be enough tough competition for that roster spot.
  19. sluggobear

sluggobear Veteran

Ratings:
    +51 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    33ß
    I don't agree with Conte and Onobun.
  20. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +759 / 4 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    745ß
    The silence around Onobun is either the best kept secret in the NFL or he has not made the improvement necessary.

I still see Bostic in the MLB role, Greene was drafted to replace Briggs when the time comes and I see no reason to change that. If Greene has improved like Bostic appears to have in the off season then we will be good there as well. Still need a spot for UDFA C Jones and De De Lattimore seems to be making noise to probably replace DJ next year as Bostic back up at MLB. Jones can back up McC or fight it out with Greene for Briggs spot in time. Right now I am feeling pretty good about the LB position, and I was worried about it during the draft.

I see Fales on the PS as well if we can get him there. Not sure I see any loyalty to Palmer over Clausen. Poor example using Cutler vs McCown last year. Cutler was always the starter and never questioned, Palmer does not have the experience to make him a lock over Clausen