Chicago Bears see 'incredible progress' from Jay Cutler

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by The Benjamin, Jul 2, 2014.

1. The Benjamin

The Benjamin George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +2,299 / 7 / -9
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,813ß
    The 2013 season was a bittersweet one for Jay Cutler.

The Chicago Bears quarterback made definite strides as a player, improving his fundamentals under the tutelage of head coach and noted QB guru Marc Trestman and offensive coordinator Aaron Kromer. But the injury bug bit Cutler again, costing him five starts.

New season, new contract, new hope. Bears quarterbacks coach Matt Cavanaugh said Cutler continued his upward personal trajectory during the team's offseason program.

"I've seen incredible progress," Cavanaugh said at minicamp last week, according to CSN Chicago. "When we got in here last year and evaluated him, we had a real good conversation with him about certain things that every quarterback should do. We said, 'Jay it might not be natural, but we want you to try it.' And he did.

"To his credit, he's taken every suggestion we've given and he's embraced it. From how he holds the ball to how he lines up in the 'Gun' pre-snap to how he drops back, to his throwing base to his follow-through. Every little fundamental we've talked to him about, he's embraced, and it's like night and day."

The Bears are all-in on Cutler, never more so than now. Cutler inked a long extension in January that included $54 million in guaranteed money. That's star quarterback compensation. The Bears lost their security blanket when Josh McCown left in free agency.

The pressure is on Cutler to, at long last, put it all together.
    • Like Like x 1
  2. draw2anderson35

draw2anderson35 Veteran

Ratings:
    +101 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    27ß
    I'm just glad Cutty finally has some continuity with a playbook/scheme & the same personnel.
    • Like Like x 2
  3. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß
    Cutler's time has come and he knows that too. To me he seems altogether more relaxed and comfortable with the whole situation and he's ready to make it his team now. He even seems a little more at home with being the "face of the Bears" although as long as Marshall is around he'll take on at least some of that job. This isn't Brian Urlacher's Chicago Bears anymore.

Spending the last two year not only getting his mechanics tuned up but also getting his attitude and his on field and off field demeanor tuned up is making a huge difference. I'm sure Trestman has had a lot to do with helping him build his confidence to take over but it was Josh McCown who I think contributed a lot to improving Jay's "bedside manner". It's like he's under gone a personality change from the pouter to the team leader and he had to do that.

Most of the top NFL QBs came to that spot in their late 20s or early 30s so if anything Cutler is right on schedule. He know that for at least three years he's going nowhere but here and he also knows that if he expects to finish out this contract and his career with the Bears that he needs to win a championship or two and he finally has the coaching and the offensive tools around him to do that.

So while the rest of the league continues to mistrust the Cutler of old I'm ready to celebrate the new improved version and I think fans will finally begin to see why it was important that we stuck it out with him. His growth could be far greater from here on then it ever has been to date.
  4. shark86x

shark86x Pro-Bowler SuperFan

Ratings:
    +868 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    555ß
    Wait till next year. 3 years in one system. He has never done that before, has he?
  5. Bearstuff

Bearstuff Yes, in the woods. Staff Member SuperFan

Ratings:
    +1,279 / 3 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    664ß
    I'd like to add that to me, it's no coincidence that this attitudinal shift came about the same time as his kid. Fatherhood just changes folks, I think for the better.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß

Nope. Two is the best he's ever gotten and that best was under Shanny here in Denver, not Martz.
  7. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß
    I do think that and getting married worked out well for him. Kristin seems like a very positive influence on him too and she's been willing to shelve her career and trade it in to be a wife and a mother. That alone makes the family unit much tighter and he didn't have that before. Both the life situation and the professional situation he's in now seem like a much better fit for him. Not as much for the haters to hate any longer. Can you tell? LOL