Chicago Bears: Top Five “Emery Picks” in NFL Draft

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by riczaj01, Mar 31, 2014.

1. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,089 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,174ß
    http://nflmocks.com/2014/03/29/chicago-bears-top-five-emery-picks-nfl-draft/

By Erik Lambert - Mar 29th, 2014 at 4:00 am

Phil Emery is the man that has the final say for the Chicago Bears NFL draft plan, so it’s important to figure out the key names he would target.
    Shea McClellin and Jon Bostic hint at a love for speed
    Every general manager has their own parameters for what they want in certain players, Each of them favor one attribute over another. Granted, preferences can change over time but not too much. For the Bears everything runs through the eyes of Phil Emery. The former scout has been in the business of pro football for two decades. He knows what good players look like but he also understands the intricacies of building good offenses and defenses vary by scheme and it’s up to him to find the right fits while sacrificing as little talent as possible. One thing to note about Emery is he loves speed. That is evident in his selections of Shea McClellin and Jon Bostic, two defenders who can cover a lot of ground in a hurry despite carrying more weight than receivers or running backs.
    Alshon Jeffery and Kyle Long exhibit athleticism but also size
    Another thing that has become quite evident about “Emery” picks are that they stand out. Their tape might not always be the most extensive but in terms of athleticism and size they are hard to miss. Alshon Jeffery was a perfect example in 2012, a 6’3″ receiver with deceptive speed and outstanding hands from South Carolina. Then there was Kyle Long, very raw in experience but ridiculously fast despite standing 6’6″ and weighing 313 lbs. Both are now Pro Bowl players for the Chicago Bears offense, leading to belief that Emery has the right idea and could follow the same formula in this NFL draft as well. So with the parameters of speed, athleticism and size leading the way, here are the top five prospects that are clear cut “Emery” picks.
    #5 – Eric Ebron – TE – North Carolina
    Is it really possible the Bears might go offense in the first round? The likelihood isn’t good but then it would be hard to be disappointed with the addition of Eric Ebron. The North Carolina tight end is a physical specimen at 6’4″, 250 lbs. He can run like a deer for his size and displayed excellent hands for the Tar Heels. Putting him with Martellus Bennett between Jeffery and Brandon Marshall would throw defenses for a loop.
    B/c of how often Emery has talked about depth at DT and CB I could see this happening, I don't want it to necessarily, but i could see Emery doing it. He wants to be the smartest guy in the room, so if everyone is thinking DL/S he just might well go TE for more weapons to give to Cutler.

#4 – Stephon Tuitt – DT – Notre Dame
    Injury and lack of conditioning his junior year are likely why Stephon Tuitt is a borderline first round pick. That’s wrong. The Notre Dame defensive end is an athletic freak for his size. At 6’7″, 320 lbs he looks like a born defensive tackle but his rare speed allows him to shift to end and create consistent pressure. In other words he can bring the rush from anywhere, meaning versatility. That is another Emery buzzword. Pairing Tuitt with Jared Allen and Lamarr Houston would drastically improve the disruptive ability of the Bears defensive line.
    Grizz was saying in another thread(think it was Grizz) that Tuitt is a 3-4 DE only, from what I've read it's a mixed bag, some sites say 5 tech, others say 3 tech or 5 tech, some say it doesn't matter he can go anywhere. Reality he's versatile, but needs to get into shape, and needs some fine tooning, but if the guy can play inside and outside then he's a Phil kind of pick, and remember Emery said he learned his leason from Shea, he wants length at DE, at 6'7" the guy is long, and like Wootton is freak enough to play inside.

#3 – C.J. Mosley – LB – Alabama
    Lost in all the hoopla surrounding the secondary and line, it’s fair to point out the Chicago Bears aren’t exactly settled at linebacker. They still have Lance Briggs and brought back D.J. Williams but their young options remain somewhat underwhelming at the moment. C.J. Mosley has the kind of talent that should ensure success in the pros. He’s got good dimensions at 6’2″, 234 lbs with excellent range. A true sideline-to-sideline player. On top of that he’s a leader on the field, able to direct teammates into the right plays and read what offenses are trying to do. Very smart. There really aren’t many gripes about his ability to play football.
    Been saying this same thing since Briggs came out and said he's gonna be in a sling this year. Doesn't matter if he can play MLB or WILL, or both there's a good chance that he'll be needed to see time, and nothing about Shea/Bostic/Greene scream capable yet LB's yet

#2 – Ha Ha Clinton-Dix – FS – Alabama
    The same goes for teammate Ha Ha Clinton-Dix. Chicago still has lingering needs to fill at the safety position despite their free agency moves. They could especially use a rangy centerfielder who can make a difference in pass coverage. That is the bread and butter of Clinton-Dix. He has plenty of speed to cover ground, a 6’1″ frame to match up with tight ends and the vision and instincts to read quarterbacks and break to where the football is going. Chicago hasn’t really had that kind of playmaking potential on the back end for years. Emery may feel the time is right for a change.
    Safety is such a huge concern, people that think Mundy or DJ manning or Conte are sure fire answers are fooling thesmselves. Could they be, sure, but they could also be who they have always been, which is why they shouldn't be allowed to take the field. If you can get as sure a thing to replace at least one of them, you jump at the chance.

#1 – Justin Gilbert – CB – Oklahoma State
    Quite honestly when watching the scouting combine last month there was one player that stuck much further out than the rest that screamed “Emery pick.” That was OklahomaState cornerback Justin Gilbert. He had seven interceptions in 2013, flashed loads of athleticism, fluidity and instinct as a defender on tape coupled with excellent ability as a kick returner. To top it off he posted the best numbers of any corner at the scouting combine including a 4.3 40-yard dash. So to review he’s a natural athlete, can run, has good game tape and versatility to contribute on special teams. That just leaves size. At 6’0″ tall with 33 inch arms he doesn’t lack in that department either. If Phil Emery has found his player in the NFL draft, then Justin Gilbert is that guy.
    Considering he's considered a top 8-10 talent, you would HAVE to take him, of the list given he and Mosely are the only ones thought of as top 10 talent, and b/c of Mosely's inj concerns he's no longer top 10. Gilbert gives the team a guy that can start at CB day 1, or when/if Tillman/Jennings are inj'd, Tillman being the more likely.

**My thoughts in blue**

Fans on this site will not like this list, but there is something to be said for what the writer is saying, there's logic behind it.
    Size/Speed/Athletisism/Versatility are all things Emery likes; football player is 2ndry in his world.
  2. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,450 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    892ß
    I liked the entire article and wouldn't be upset with most of those picks. Dix would be an immediate upgrade to our defense. He would have as much impact as any of those names mentioned. We've acquired a small army of failed safeties in recent years through the draft and FA. The position is critically important to the defense, so let's get this thing solved like we did with the offensive line woes that dogged us for years. Wright and Conte remind me of the offensive linemen that we desperately hoped would pan out but never did. Emery fixed that. Now let's fix the perennial woes at safety.

I realize we have needs at DT, LB, CB (Peanut's eventual replacement) as well as at S. So I'm not saying we HAVE to go with Dix. It's like we need help everywhere on defense, and only the 1 first round pick. Emery is going to have to perform some magic this year like he did last year for the offense.
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2014
  3. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,089 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,174ß
    the only ones I'd really worry about are Mosely or Tuitt b/c of the inj concerns. I'm still highest on Safety for everything you just said about it.
    • Like Like x 2
  4. BearJim

BearJim Veteran SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +153 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    35ß
    Ric, I prefer Donald but I wouldn't have a problem taking Gilbert @14. In fact I think he will be off the board when our pick rolls around. I think he has the size, speed & skills to play any position in the secondary. Hell, Donald could be gone too.
  5. a_miljan

a_miljan Veteran

Ratings:
    +293 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    100ß

Im sorry, but who is DJ Manning?
    • Like Like x 1
  6. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,089 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,174ß
    LOL my bad md jennings. :) Thanks for the catch A.
  7. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,254 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    300ß
    Interesting article. Maybe I misunderstood the intro cuz I thought it was going to list 5 "dark horses" that might appeal to Emery as sleeper picks. Guess not.

Taking either Gilbert or Ha-Ha would be no surprise. They're both widely viewed as the top prospects at their position and we need a CB and a S out of this draft anyway. Nothing for me to argue about there.

Mosley would be another guy I wouldn't mind seeing at 14 (assuming Emery is satisfied about the medical stuff). I would hope Phil is confident that, between Bostic and Mosely, we have our Will & Mike of the future by making this pick.

The other two would be poor choices IMO. Tuitt would be a major reach at 14. If you're gonna go for the "athletic freak" type pick, take Hageman there. At least he's uninjured. And Ebron would be a major "luxury" type selection. Even assuming he pans out as a receiver, how many targets is he going to get behind 2 pro-bowl WRs, a damn good TE, and one of the best pass catching RBs in the NFL? That doesn't even take into account the fact that there are major concerns about his blocking ability. Is it worth spending the 14th pick on a 2nd TE who may not even be the whole package? Nope, not IMO.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,089 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,174ß
    I wouldn't disgree MP, but almost everything I've read about Hagemen is he can play outside in one scheme or inside in another, not play inside in one or outside in both, w/Tuitt it's a mixed bag but at least some have said he could play all along the lines regardless of scheme.

That being said, Something Soul posted said the team will use "minimal 3-4, so Hagemen might well be worth a look b/c he can play both 4-3 and 3-4.

Major reaches are what Emery does best, so while I wouldn't be happy w/Tuitt at 14 b/c he is a reach, I wouldn't be surprised either.
  9. butka

butka Veteran

Ratings:
    +133 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    16ß
    I think this guy, who wrote the article, has the right frame of mind when trying to predict Emery's move. I agree 100%, Gilbert does sound like an Emery type of guy. There's a difference in what you think the Bears should do and what you think the Bears will do. I think Gilbert is an excellent prediction for what the Bears will do.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. jackiejokeman

jackiejokeman Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +204 / 2 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    409ß
    I love all the mocks. I still have no idea what Emery is going to do.

It better be DT and SAFETY at #1. Not in that order.

AT #2 it better be the next one.
  11. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,089 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,174ß
    JJ, when it comes to Emery you have NO idea what he wants or has plans for.

Butka, ya it's a good article and was sound in theory, and that's the thing, all the fans talking about it HAS to be this, or HAS to be that or THIS is the guy they HAVE to take if he's on the board, it's all thrown out the window b/c NO one knows what Emery has plans to do. Where we see individual players and how they work in what we are used to seeing, Emery sees ALL the players and how they ALL could fit into what HE plans on doing in the future.
    In other words, fans see a piece or 2 of the puzzle, Emery sees all the pieces and how they fit together.