Chicago Fire Thread

Discussion in 'All Other Sports' started by little bear, Jan 15, 2014.

1. little bear

little bear Head Coach

Please Register or Log in to Remove this Advertisement!
    http://www.csnchicago.com/fire/fire-announce-plans-year-round-soccer-center

Fire announce plans for year-round soccer center

Despite a disappointing end to the 2013 season, the Chicago Fire is planning what they hope will be a major upgrade to its brand in the Chicagoland area.

Fire owner and chairman of Andell Inc., Andrew Hauptman announced this morning on the team's official website the development of the Chicago Fire Soccer Center on the city's North Side.

The year-round soccer facility, expected to open in the summer of 2014 on 4.7 acres on N. Talman Ave. just north of Addison, will become the first air-supported dome within the city limits. The 140,000 square-foot building will feature two outdoor FieldTurf soccer fields, several indoor-sized soccer fields under the removable 72-foot-high dome and around 15,000 square feet of space for offices, restaurants, retail and training facilities and is expected to cost between $15 and $20 million, according to a report from Crain's Chicago Business.

It's part of the Fire's continuing efforts to promote both soccer and the organization in the Chicago area.

“We are thrilled to extend the Chicago Fire presence within the city,” Hauptman said in a press release. “We are investing in this site to increase awareness of the organization and create more accessibility for both new and existing soccer fans. We want the Chicago Fire brand to have a positive impact on the community.”

The Fire will train and practice at the facility at times, namely in preparation for matches on turf fields, and adult and youth leagues alike will also have the chance to take advantage of the center. Both the Chicago Fire Recreational Soccer Program, a 5,000-adult league, and the Chicago Fire Juniors City Team, comprised of more than 250 kids ages 6-18, will have year-round access to compete, train and practice at the Soccer Center.

"In a downtown market that is underserved with fields this new facility will be Chicago’s premier soccer center,” said Hauptman. “It is a real, physical presence for the Fire to use as a means of continuing to engage the soccer community, year round, through leagues, camps, clinics, tournaments and more.”

[​IMG]
    The Fire will practice on the outdoor field in preparation for matches on FieldTurf.

[​IMG]

2. little bear

little bear Head Coach

http://www.espnfc.com/major-league-...go-in-talks-to-determine-didier-drogba-rights

Montreal Impact, Chicago Fire in talks for Didier Drogba's MLS rights - source

The Montreal Impact are in negotiations with the Chicago Fire to acquire the MLS rights to Ivorian striker Didier Drogba, a source with knowledge of the negotiations confirmed to ESPN FC.

The news was also reported in a tweet by the Chicago-based site Fire Confidential.

The Fire have the right of first refusal on Drogba as a result of filing what's called a discovery claim on the former Chelsea forward. Chicago initially offered Drogba an 18-month contract with an annual salary of around $2.5 million, a source said, and later increased the offer to north of $3 million a year, according to another source.

But Montreal has done what it could to lure Drogba to the French-speaking city, and now it appears that Chicago isn't the player's preferred destination.

Speaking to reporters following Chicago's midweek victory over Orlando in the U.S. Open Cup, manager Frank Yallop said he hoped to resolve the situation in 48 hours, and that Drogba's representatives were pleased with the contract offer that was on the table. But that deadline has come and gone, lessening the likelihood that Drogba will end up in the Windy City. Yallop has also hinted that there are other players the club could pursue if it doesn't land Drogba.

League rules state that Montreal need only pay Chicago $50,000 to acquire his rights, but that's only if the Fire had no intention of making a contract offer to the player. Since Chicago has done that, the club is allowed to ask for more, though the source indicated via email that the two sides were "still apart" in terms of determining compensation.

Montreal isn't the only club in contention for Drogba's services. Inter Milan and an unknown Qatari club have also expressed interest, and published reports indicated that Indian side Atletico de Kolkata have also made a pitch to Drogba. But with talks at an advanced stage, it seems increasingly likely Drogba will end up in MLS.

Drogba, 37, has been out of contract since his deal with Premier League champions Chelsea expired at the end of last season. He saw the field with some regularity during the 2014-15 campaign, scoring seven goals in 38 appearances across all competitions. But he started just 12 of those matches as Diego Costa was manager Jose Mourinho's preferred option up top.

He has spent the bulk of career with the Blues, winning four Premier League titles, three League Cups, four FA Cups, and one UEFA Champions League crown. Drogba first left Chelsea back in 2012, and nearly signed with Chicago back then, but opted to play with Chinese side Shanghai Shenua. He spent just seven months in China, later signing with Turkish club Galatasaray. He then returned to Chelsea prior to the start of last season.

At international level, Drogba is the Ivory Coast's all-time leading scorer with 65 goals, and his 104 appearances rank third behind Kolo Toure's 108 and Didier Zokora's 123.

--------------------

3. little bear

little bear Head Coach

http://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2016/...xpects-important-transactions-central-defense

Chicago Fire's Nelson Rodriguez expects "important transactions" for central defense

BRIDGEVIEW, Ill. – Many Chicago Fire fans have been frustrated by the club’s relative inactivity in the transfer market. But general manager Nelson Rodriguez insists he “feels good about [the team's] progress,” and reasserted the club’s immediate priority “remains central defense.”

With just 15 players contracted for 2016, new head coach Veljko Paunovic has four recognized defenders in Eric Gehrig, Joevin Jones, Patrick Doody, and Kingsley Bryce. But only Gehrig and the versatile Matt Polster have experience at center back--so it is no surprise to learn that recruiting starting quality center backs is the Fire’s number-one priority.

That's especially true given the team's decision to not exercise several players' options. Those include captain Jeff Larentowicz, who could be on his way to the LA Galaxy, Adailton, Daneil Cyrus, and Greg Cochrane. All of them hail from a defense that conceded a league-equaling high 58 goals last year.

With all of that said, the Men in Red have a number of spots to fill. Naturally, there have been some rumors--like those linking the team with Olympiacos’ Mexican striker Alan Pulido. For now, those will remain just rumors, according to Rodriguez. “I know it’s boring to most fans and most media, but it’s not our nature to comment publicly on players or targets that we have," he said. "I will add this though: Our priority remains central defense.”

Rodriguez himself has spent some of the holidays back home in New Jersey, while Paunovic has been in Madrid with his family. Both will travel to Florida for the MLS Combine in Fort Lauderdale from Jan. 7 through 12, then to Baltimore for the MLS Draft on Jan. 14, then return to Chicago ahead of the start of pre-season on Jan. 24.

“We feel good about our progress,” Rodriguez said by phone from New Jersey. “We have our plan, we are disciplined against our plan, we remain committed to that plan, and feel that when we’re finished, we will be satisfied. I know that fans at times can be impatient but I also think generally that this time of year is difficult to conclude transactions because of the nature of the holidays and the impending opening of transfer windows throughout Europe.”

Rodriguez expects significant movement ahead of the squad’s arrival for the first day of pre-season, though it's tough to tell if any major arrivals will come in the next week or so.

“My experience tells me that every negotiation and every transaction moves at its own rate and pace,” he said. “We, for the moment, remain satisfied with our progress with some of the targets that we’ve identified, and we still believe that we are on our timeline for completion of some important transactions.”

--------------------

4. little bear

little bear Head Coach

http://www.chicago-fire.com/post/2016/03/23/notes-training-ground-march-23

Notes from the Training Ground

Goal-Oriented
    There’s no match to prepare for on the weekend, but the Chicago Fire are taking every opportunity to better themselves, be it on the pitch or in the training room.
    With Matt Polster and Brandon Vincent on international duty and a number of players -- namely David Accam, John Goossens and Arturo Alvarez -- using the week to regain full fitness, it’s been a smaller but decidedly focused group on the training ground.
    The Men In Red led off Tuesday with a morning session at The PrivateBank Fire Pitch before holding an evening training at Toyota Park. Back to work on Wednesday, small-sided situational play emphasized sustained possession, stringing together passes in tight spaces and swiftly changing the point of attack.
    “I think the energy has been great, everyone’s really embraced it and the work rate has been there from everybody,” said Homegrown midfielder Joey Calistri, who has appeared off the bench in all three matches thus far. “We wanted to focus last week on getting the clean sheet and all the credit to Matt (Lampson) and the back line for getting it done, I thought the whole team played well defensively. This week now we're focused on getting our fitness levels up and putting everything together for a full 90.”
    “When we are on the opponents’ end, we have to be more patient with the ball,” said head coach Veljko Paunovic. “We have to take advantage of the width that we create making and then our fullbacks have to go a little bit higher. That will be tactically what we have to improve in the game but this is what we are working on and we will focus on during these two weeks. I value very much the possession…and it’s a process.”

Quick Learners
    Calistri, who has appeared off the bench in all three matches this season, is part of a young Fire squad that in Saturday’s match fielded 12 players (out of 14) age 28 or younger. For his part, Paunovic is simultaneously relishing his role of a teacher while maintaining a sense of urgency for results.
    “I’m very happy working with such a young group and a lot of rookies,” Paunovic said. “They see how much we want to deliver to them and give them the tools to become better and to be successful and also very competitive for our team.
    “But we also want to compete,” he added. “We have to reach that level as soon as possible because this league is very competitive and we want to be successful. I demand [a lot], but I’m not impatient. Patience comes from me, that support and trust, and on the other side, demanding. We will demand, and ask, and want to be better.”

And Also
    • Joining in first team training Wednesday was Chicago Fire Academy product Djordje Mihailovic. The class of 2017 midfielder announced last fall his plans to attend the University of North Carolina, where USSDA teammates Mauricio Pineda -- who also continues to train with the Fire first team -- and Cameron Lindley are slated to begin their college careers this fall.
    • After joining U.S. U-23 camp Sunday, Polster, Vincent and their teammates arrived in Colombia Wednesday ahead of their critical two-match Olympic playoff
    • Following Wednesday's training session, Michael Harrington and Gilberto took on Eric Gehrig and Matt Lampson in a game of 2v2 soccer pool, the game of strategy and skill that is available to play at Fire Fest before each Chicago Fire home match. As expected, the game brought out the competitive sides of all participants. Look for a full video recap of the match on Chicago-Fire.com in the coming days.

--------------------

5. HeHateMe

HeHateMe Pro-Bowler

Are there fire fans here?

6. Grimson

Grimson Guest

Isn't @little bear 's sig a lil tacky?

7. HeHateMe

HeHateMe Pro-Bowler

I have sigs turned off. What does it say?

8. Grimson

Grimson Guest

Thoughts & Prayers for Belgium overlayed on a German flag.

N

#8 Grimson, Mar 26, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 26, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  9. little bear

little bear Head Coach

At least two members used to be. Not sure if Aenir is still around.

10. little bear

little bear Head Coach

Never seen a Belgian flag before, haven't you?

11. little bear

little bear Head Coach

http://www.chicago-fire.com/post/2016/07/06/new-forward-de-leeuw-excited-opportunity-toronto-fc

New forward de Leeuw excited for opportunity at Toronto FC

The moment is finally near for newest Chicago Fire signing Michael de Leeuw.
    On Saturday night when the Fire visit BMO Field for a road test against Toronto FC (CSN Chicago, 6:30 p.m. CT), de Leeuw will be eligible for selection to head coach Veljko Paunovic’s squad for the first time.
    “I’m excited,” he said. “This is what over the last weeks I have trained for. I knew that after the Fourth of July that I was capable of playing. Now I’m available and I hope to get on Saturday some minutes and show my skills to MLS.”

The 29-year-old forward – whose surname means “Lion” in Dutch -- arrived in Chicago in early June after signing with the team on May 17. His last month has been spent training alongside the team in anticipation for an early July debut, when the summer transfer window officially opened. While he’s been focused on his preparation for the Fire’s heavy July schedule, de Leeuw noted that it hasn’t been easy to sit out of the team while he’s waited to become eligible.
    “Yeah it’s frustrating,” he said. “I knew (about the wait) before I signed, so I knew how it was. Still, it’s frustrating because you train for the whole week, you prepare for the game and if you can’t play, then you train different. Now this week was different. Now I know I can play, so I hope Saturday I can play and give everything for the team.”
    According to Paunovic, de Leeuw has been put through a well-regimented and personalized “preseason” training regimen over the last five weeks to get him fit for MLS play. The Fire have played five matches since he arrived in the States, which has given him plenty of opportunities to get a feel for his new team ahead of joining them on the field.
    “I noticed that the confidence is building,” he said. “The last two games we won. We played good, we created chances, and that’s the most important thing. (It’s also important) of course to score the chances, because then you can win. I feel a lot of confidence. We have a good group.”
    The Dutchman’s last competitive appearance in a match came on Sunday, May 15 in a Europa League playoff tilt between former side FC Groningen and Heracles Almelo, also of the Dutch Eredivisie. That match marked the final of 117 appearances de Leeuw made for Groningen since joining up with them in 2012. Outside of his day-to-day preparation, the wait to become eligible has provided him time to get used to his newfound surroundings.
    “The first week I was jet-lagged,” he said. “I wasn’t used to the time. Now I’m living the American life. I’ve got an apartment, so it’s quiet. No stress anymore, just play football. Nothing else. Just think about football – or soccer, sorry – and rest and prepare.”
    With so much time to ponder his transition into the team, the question on everyone’s mind remains. How will his skill-set blend with those of the Fire’s current roster of attackers?
    “We have to see on Saturday.”

--------------------