Chicago Is The Most Dangerous U.S. City (But It's Really Not)

Discussion in 'Anything But Football' started by phatdude, Sep 24, 2014.

1. phatdude

phatdude Veteran

Ratings:
    +74 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    57ß
    So as some of you might know, I'm a Nevada native, and we of course have no professional sports teams. So in the early 80s I adopted the Bears as my NFL team, and more than 3 decades later I am still a Bears fan through and true!

In 2010 I was able to visit Chicago for work and I went with a coworker who is from New York. It was my first (and sadly only time) I have visited Chicago and my native New Yorker coworker said "it's just like New York, but clean.. And the people are friendly.." LOL. I agreed.

Long story short I've actually put Chicago on my list of cities I could see myself moving too (Austin and San Diego are on that list). However I always hear that "Chicago is a dangerous city", or "the most dangerous city". This report just came out the other day:

Chicago Is The Most Dangerous U.S. City (But It's Really Not)

I wanted to know from the folks that live there what is this all about? It didn't seem dangerous at all, however I was mostly in the loop area. I even passed through Cabrini Green, but jsut driving through I didn't notice anything that dangerous.

Anyhow, just curious what you guys (especially those who live in Chicago or the suburbs) think.
  2. MIKETOUHY

MIKETOUHY Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    25ß
    Think you need to be logical on this.

Every place has its problems including crime.

Now in the last couple of years we've seen a record amount of gang crime which I can see why some will comment about it but it's not like it's everywhere in the city.
  3. vmx12

vmx12 Rookie

Ratings:
    +30 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    13ß
    One theory on the gang crime is that the P.D. locked up a lot of gang leaders. Seems like a great idea but when you have a bunch of 13-17 year old kids with guns and no leader they go all willy nilly and feel they can do as they please. Most of the murders occur in Englewood or close by. If you where to come the Chicago again you would know when you are getting close to that neighborhood.

Bye the way Cabrini Green is gone. You must have been somewhere else.
  4. 4th and 26

4th and 26 George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +742 / 3 / -6
    ßearz ßuckz:
    616ß

Personally I stay out of Chicago, I just find it crowded and I have been in areas where I feel I do not belong. I use to go to Black Hawks games and I would jump on 290 quick when going home to Rockford. BTW I think the residents of Cabrini Green move to Rockford because both of my old neighborhoods look like the Hood now.
  5. MIKETOUHY

MIKETOUHY Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    25ß
    Now why would you feel that way?

People are the same wherever you go.

Think you're just insecure.

Get over it.
  6. 4th and 26

4th and 26 George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +742 / 3 / -6
    ßearz ßuckz:
    616ß

I don't like the big city, I don't care for the gridlock driving and finding a parking spot without paying is impossible. I go to a blackhawks game once a year and that is enough for me. I prefer to buy a 12pk of beer for $8-$12 vs one drink for $8 in chicago.
  7. MIKETOUHY

MIKETOUHY Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    25ß
    That's fine but saying you feel that you don't belong makes you sound odd.