Chicago Tribune: "Bears' 2014 draft provides plethora of promise"

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by JustAnotherBearsFan99, May 11, 2014.

1. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,650 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,147ß
    I am thrilled with all of the roster moves so far, the draft, FA's, UDFA's ...the entire roster upgrade is encouraging.

• Like Like x 1
  2. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,268 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,428ß
    This might have been one of the worst Haugh articles I've read in awhile. Emery explained the Fales pick in his presser, for haugh to ignore that is mind boggling.
  3. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,268 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,428ß
    I forgot to add that Haugh says the team doesn't have a slot WR, apparently he's taken the year off and hasn't heard that Wilson has been working w/Marshal and the other guys down in FL and looks to be, in Marshal's words, the Steal of last years draft.

need a slot WR, what a dope, what a maroon.
  4. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß
    I'm surprised that a guy who follows the Bears as closely as Haugh does still doesn't get the moves Emery made in the 6th round. I scratched my head at first too but after listening to Emery address it in his news conference and compare that to the alternatives it makes perfect sense.

Haugh himself says that the success of this draft, or any draft for that matter, isn't dependent on what happens in the 6th round and he's right. Most of those guys never even make the final cut and out of the few who do most last a year or two and are gone. It's very rare for a Brady or a Davis to emerge from the depths of any draft now that pre-draft scouting is as intense as it is.

So instead of camp fodder or a possible 3rd man on the depth chart we took a guy who could start as our punter (we surely had a need) and place kick holder. If he wins the job he may be around for a dozen years or more kicking us out of jams and/or sticking teams deep in their own end with good directional punting. We got one good year out of Podlesh and then a lot of inconsistency. This kid was the top Punter in college so there's a real good chance he becomes a starter right? Beats a 3rd string LB or TE any day.

The same with Fales. Yes he's only in line to become a #3 QB but that position has more importance in both the near term and the long term than a #6 WR or #4 Safety or CB which is what a couple of our other options might have been. If nothing else we needed another arm for camp so it might just as well have been one with some hope of making the team as a #3 QB than one who had no chance at all. We do need one.

I also don't get his point about using it on a slot receiver. We had Wilson, Tolliver, Weems, and Williams already on the roster plus we signed Hixon and Morgan. Did we really need a 7th guy? And I know everyone is trying to ignore the Onobun elephant in the TE room but obviously the Bears aren't because they don't seem to be in a big hurry to find other #2 TE prospects just yet. Maybe the know something we don't.

There are crazy things Phil Emery does that don't make perfect sense to me, and maybe it's my twisted form of logic, but the moves in the 6th actually do make sense. I expect both players to be around in September and one to be starting. How often does that happen with 6th round picks?
  5. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Position Coach

Ratings:
    +1,877 / 7 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,178ß
    The title says it more than the article. I agree that this draft is HUGE on potential. I hope it gets realized. If so, it will be one of our best drafts ever. If not, Emery is going to take a hit on his drafting ability.
  6. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,268 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,428ß
    I agree w/everyrthing Soul is saying...is it just cold here in Texas or everywhere; hell might be freezing over.

The draft, and how it unfolded, like it or not, worked out perfect for the Bears, the Bears took the best players they could get to fill up the holes and create compeition at all levels. They only had 4 early to mid picks, turned into 5 and it's not like you can expect 7 starters out a draft.