Chicago Tribune: "Phil Emery on hot seat for Bears defense"

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by JustAnotherBearsFan99, Jan 15, 2014.

1. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,813 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    73ß
    The Emery/Trestman honeymoon will continue but it won't go on forever.

2. GermansbombedPH

GermansbombedPH Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +41 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    nah, Emery is doing a good job so far. He isn't on the Hot Seat. Now that he finally has his team they won't do this process again and again
  3. butkus3595

butkus3595 Veteran

Ratings:
    +384 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    12ß
    I wouldn't say he's on the hot seat, but I would like to see Bennet and Ward signed...that would be the beginning of a great off season to me.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,435 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    196ß
    Emery might be on the hotseat if he cannot generate talent, but why would Trestman be on the hotseat b/c the GM cannot generate talent?
  5. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Hall of Famer

Ratings:
    +996 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    14ß
    A real stretch on the authors part. Maybe he thinks he SHOULD be on the hot seat, but that is his opinion. I do think Emery is under pressure to have a good defensive draft, but at this point nothing more than that, IMO.
    • Like Like x 2
  6. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,435 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    196ß
    I think Emery knows he needs a good D offseason in general, and said the draft will center around rebuilding the D, we'll have to see what he does.
  7. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +984 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    18ß
    I don't see either man as "on the hotseat". I would term it "put on notice" about the defensive collapse. And yes if there are questions swirling around Emery for his Shea/Hardin whiffs and the poor depth on the D roster, then there also are some for Trestman regarding the coaching staff. Tibesar was "his guy" from the CFL whose collegiate tenure as DC at Purdue was awful. And Tucker (who survived for reasons that had little to do with recent results) hasn't exactly inspired a lot of confidence either.
  8. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +984 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    18ß
    That (or something similar) would be the kind of FA Emery needs to shoot for. Pretty much akin to last year on the other side of the ball when he got us two major upgrades at TE and LT.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. mshu7

mshu7 Rookie

Ratings:
    +37 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Oh how quickly some forget the Lovie/Jerry years....

That notion that Emery/Trestman are on the hot seat is ridiculous.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,813 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    73ß
    It is because I do remember the Angelo/Lovie years that I want Emery/Trestman to do better. I'm still on the bandwagon with this new regime and want to give them every benefit of the doubt - even Mel Tucker gets a pass from me at this point (since Emery and Trestman say he's good).

But the honeymoon doesn't last forever. At some point the team needs to win championships. At some point the team needs to be able to replace Green Bay as the "Big Dog" in the division. At some point the team needs to add some Lombardi Trophies to go along with the lone one we've had since a quarter-century ago.

We've seen a parade of coaches and GM's come and go over the past many decades. Every time the new guys come in we're all giddy with hope. Then reality sets in and they are finally hated and kicked to the curb. And the cycle continues with a new regime. Now the regime is Emery/Trestman and it is heresy to question the competency of either one. But for me anyway, it all comes down to winning championships. They will either do this. Or they won't. I have zero emotional attachment to the people. I just want the team to win.

And these two new guys are not on the hot seat yet, but it will get pretty warm if they don't perform well this coming season. Mel better prove to be the guy these two have told us he is. Emery (in his third season here) better show he has a clue as to bringing in defensive players. Ultimately the new regime will have to prove they're more than just hype. They need to win.
  11. short faced bear

short faced bear Assistant Head Coach DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,155 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    10ß
    Not a hotseat per se but definitely a frog in a slightly more burning pot. If all this was injuries there would be no firing of assistant scape goats. And please don't tell me these guys just can't teach fundamentals or didn't fit ol' Tucker's complicated "scheme". It's more rotten than that. Can't fire a guy as to look too "reactionary" esp. in first year.

Just improving the defense a few spots is a false positive. Recovering from injuries and receiving an expected major influx of FA and draft picks doesn't necessarily improve scheme, fundamentals, game planning, matchups, or long term player development when facing the top OC's of the league.
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2014
  12. GermansbombedPH

GermansbombedPH Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +41 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    not to mention that he did build a really good offense with all the tools. His drafts have been good and bad so far. Maybe if Shea works as LB it won't look bad any more but after 2 years his 1st Draft isn't very bright outside of Alshon.
  13. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,435 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    196ß
    no his 1st draft is downright lugubrious, his 2nd draft is up in the air depending on if Bostic/Greene and Corny can turn into something, Long/Mills are the loan highlights of his 2nd. You cannot build a team hitting on 1-2 guys a year. Although if you add in stealing Bass from the Raiders it's at least 3 guys.
  14. butkus3595

butkus3595 Veteran

Ratings:
    +384 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    12ß
    Marquess Wilson looks like he may be able to contribute next year as a 3rd receiver perhaps. He came on nicely at the end of the year. I'm trying to remain positive for this years draft...we'll see what happens.
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,195 / 8 / -7
    ßearz ßuckz:
    66ß
    If he's on the hot seat for the defense, it's only because the unrealistic change he made to the offense makes us expect the same for defense. I know someone will say "we're not unrealistic, we just want somewhat better", but judging off of how the board reacted to Cutler's performance against the Eagles...I don't think that's true at all.
    • Like Like x 2
  16. DaTreeBears

DaTreeBears Veteran

Ratings:
    +431 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    17ß
    These reporters are comical in their titles. I believe people are finally figuring out these journalist are only over glorified blog writers. Very few do real journalist in depth investigation and simple reason is that takes work. Writing catchy titles with little substance is much easier.

Emery is about as close to the hot seat as I am to being the next Bears GM. How’s that for a title?

Let’s look at Emery’s past performance 1st draft class one guy is going to pro bowl 2nd draft class one on the alternate list for the pro bowl. He builds essentially an entirely new O line in 1 season. I was told that’s not possible by these expert blog writers in the paper and told it takes years to jell-O line. He also brings in a coach that actually has a brain. You know what when he starts to even come close to the dumb asses we had in charge over the years, maybe then I’ll raise a red flag. But until then all you over glorified BS bloggers stick your fun provocative titles up your arsses and do some real reporting.
    • Like Like x 1
  17. BearDownUnder

BearDownUnder Veteran

Ratings:
    +57 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    What's a GM's main job - the roster and coaching.

What's Emery done since he got in to town:
    Offense - 2 quality rookies on the O line. Spent a bit on a veteran LT who played well. Found a cheap FA Guard and signed him at a reasonable price long term. Reasonably priced quality TE. Brought in a legit one receiver on decent money. Drafter a star receiver. Signed up the QB on a deal that will put pressure on him (The GM and Cutler) for short term but could pay off handsomely long term. All in all he's got an offense that has all the major tools in place (of which a bunch of them are new since he's been in town) and one that has been built without sacrificing defense draft picks (even if they were busts) or completely unbalancing the roster financially. Hired offensive coaches we are raving about.

Defense: Missed on some early picks to replace an aging defense. Signed up some ok FA depth LB's. Got lumped with a lot of existing money tied up in existing players. Had the defense play well in his first year before a drop off with changes in coach. Hired defensive coaches we aren't impressed with.

But he's in a good position. He's got good draft picks available. He's got money to spend (not a heap but at least enough) in that he can get in at least 1 big FA or 2-3 medium priced free agents and he's stuck with the majority of the defensive coaches. Pretty much most of the 'Emery can't build a defense' talk comes from missing on McLellin and Bostic (so far anyway). If they played well as young players then you'd say ok, the old guys dropped off, others got injured and it will work out next year. Emery just needs to show he can draft some decent defensive players and he'll probably be looking very good.
    • Like Like x 1