Chicago Tribune: Trying to make sense of Emery's ongoing disaster

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by JustAnotherBearsFan99, Feb 25, 2014.

1. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,147 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    471ß
    FWIW

2. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,713 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    697ß
    right there, stop looking at the combine #'s for your biggest impressions and look at actual game tape, you'll hit at more then a 50% rate(hopefully) on your 1st round picks. Shea was a bad pick at the time, and still is, w/only a slight hope of being better at OLB, even though it's still in a 4-3 and he's better suited at 3-4. Long worked out but again this was more combine impressions then actual college tape, b/c there was very little tape on him. Even Long didn't think he'd get drafted in the 1st, this one worked out. What Emery needs to do is find a guy w/actual game tape that tells him what the kid can do and if what he does fits in to what he and Tucker need him to.
  3. Chicago_66

Chicago_66 Veteran

Ratings:
    +352 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    36ß
    I understand that the Bears had some huge defensive struggles last year but can you really blame this fall apart of the defensive line on Emery? He inherited a team that we all knew had huge holes as well as an awful, awful problem in regards to depth. I thought when he got this team it was going to be a massive project to get to a point where we had anything that resembled an offense.. and we've all known for a long time that this defense was getting older and a fall off was expected.. at least I've been waiting for it. I was so damn impressed how quick he fixed our wide receiver position, it went from a weakness to a strength in one off-season once Alshon got healthy. Next year he fixes the OL with a total overhaul that worked across the board.. as well as adding a playmaker at tight end. If you had told me that when Emery signed on we would be two seasons away from being 2nd in the NFL in points, only behind a Peyton Manning led Broncos offense that broke most of the offensive records around I would have laughed in your face.. and then walked away laughing.

Our defense was looking pretty good to me in the first few weeks and DJ Williams was rounding into form just in time for the collapse and then his immediate injury thereafter. We lost both our starters at defensive tackle and our third man up was playing through injuries all year. We were playing a DE at DT and Peppers decided to get old fast. Can you really put all that blame on Emery? Some players need a few years to get acclimated to the NFL speed and have the game slow down for them.. as they say. We didn't draft Bostic and Greene to be two of our starters. They may have done a bit better with our original lineup on the DL. It was sort of a perfect storm. Our safeties benefited from great corner play and pressure from the front four.. I think most Bears fan knew this. Tillman goes down so it's just Jennings, who played great. DJ Williams out all year and Briggs and Anderson in and out with injuries. Peppers getting older, Wootton playing out of place, and three layers our DT's being hurt. What defense could truly endure all of that and expect to do well? I'm not going to declare Bostic and Greene failures until they've had a few more years. I'm still waiting on McC.. it's obviously not looking promising but sometimes players take awhile. Yeah.. it's looking like a bust.. but I always wait for 3-4 years before I make a final judgment.. and then sometimes players burst out. Look at Benson.. he was junk for his tenure with us but when he went to Cinci he was dominant there for a bit. Alshon wass a beast, obviously. Hardin got hurt, who knows what he could have been.. sucks that we gambled on an injured player but hey sometimes that shit happens. I think Frey is a little baller, if he's got the players around him he's a solid ass nickel.. at least from what I remember. McCoy was a late pick and sure he turned out to be junk but he was a 7th right? Or a sixth. Kyle Long looks like an animal.. Bostic has showed flashes and lets see how he plays with some practice under his belt and a healthy team around him. He wasn't brought here to carry the team as a rookie. Greene, same thing.. and really he's a 4th rounder so I mean you can't be expecting him, as a rookie, to look great. He got drafted in the 4th because everyone knows theres things that have to be worked on. Mills looks like a great pick in the 5th. Washington is a 6th rounder.. lets wait before we condemn him. I can't hate on the pick, he's got all the physical traits.. lets just wait and see on him. There's 1st round DE's that take years to come into form. As far as our 7th rounder.. Wilson.. I liked what I saw at the tail end of the year. I remember reading he only had 2 catches but I coulda swore it seemed like more at the last game or two. Anyways, a 7th rounder.. obviously there's going to be some time before he's starting.. he's in the perfect situation to learn from Marshall and Jeffery. I read that he's down in Florida with those two and Forte and they're all working out together so maybe we'll see something similar to when Alshon went south to work with Marshall. I'm going to wait and see before I condemn Emery, even if he does have questionable picks this draft. How many Bears fans hated the Long pick and now are wearing the guys jersey?

Hindsight is 20/20, and it's easy for everyone to nitpick when they're not making decisions and don't have to deal with consequences. I'm optimistic, I'm open to be critical but his first draft is only 2 years old. Gotta give this kind of stuff time to develop.
    • Like Like x 4
  4. Chicago_66

Chicago_66 Veteran

Ratings:
    +352 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    36ß
    I'm hoping so, it'd be nice to have a first round pick on defense that comes in and immediately contributes. Although in my opinion your gripe with Emery could be applied to Emery himself.. we have very little information, or "game tape" on Emery at this point. In a few years I think we'll have a better idea of what he thinks is most important in the draft. If I remember right, Jeffery didn't even participate at the combine.. and we traded up for him. I'm not saying you're wrong.. you very well could be dead on.. but a 50% hit rate sounds a lot worse before you realize he's only swung twice. He could hit his next 8 first round picks with All-Pro players. Or he could bomb. Or hit 50%.. I don't know. But I think the sample size is too small to judge properly at the moment.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. mdbearz

mdbearz Veteran

Ratings:
    +282 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    21ß
    All I can is WOT (wall of text)
  6. butkus3595

butkus3595 Veteran

Ratings:
    +472 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    144ß
    I guess 2 of your starting defensive tackles tearing their acts and a signing you didn't make not performing well is this gm's fault? McClellin hasn't lived up to his draft spot, but he wasn't the only problem on this line or this defense. This is just lazy journalism. And by that logic the writer wouldn't have drafted a guy like jerry rice and a host of others because they didn't play in a major division. That's lazy too.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. BearJim

BearJim Veteran SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +146 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    15ß
    I agree Butkus. Rosembut is a douche bag IMHO. He usually goes for the extreme type article & to me he just comes out looking like a jerk & can't be taken seriously. To come out with an article saying Emery needs to step up would be more than sensible & show that he actually had some sense. To call Emery's situation an "ongoing disaster" is ridiculous. Could Emery have done better so far? Absolutely, but hardly a "disaster". He fixed the offense quicker than anyone thought possible. I know he won't leave one stone unturned to fix our "D". Will he fix it in a year? Hell, I don't know. Maybe, probably not. Probably more like 2-3 years. I think he will pickup a couple of good FAs that will get things rolling & hopefully he'll keep the ball rolling with some solid draft picks. The draft picks is where we need to see an improvement & I think we will. Time will tell.
    • Like Like x 5
  8. kevperro

kevperro Rookie

Ratings:
    +47 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    19ß
    Just a guy who had to write an article. Shay was a bad pick. Nobody is denying that but it was just one pick. The rest of the train wreck was not necessarily Phil's making and it isn't a 5-year project. It can be done quick. Look at our Oline troubles. Nobody thought that was fixable in a year.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +634 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    537ß
    Hopefully it will light a fire under the Bears Ass and get some good solid picks who can start for many years. Need a Pro-Bowler or two. As a side note has anyone ever tried to correlate the combine drills to positions and results. I tried earlier and found minimal correlation. I went to NFL.com and the statistics tab. Picked sacks as my category and got the people in the nfl with the most sacks last yr. Pulled there combine drill numbers and realized I just wasted 3 hrs of my life. LOL. May be some small trends but.like faster 40 seems to help as the faster ones get more sacks. and the other trend is Vetical Jump. Had to group sacks more than 15, 10 to 15, etc. do begin to see a trend. So minor I say screw the combine numbers " WATCH THE FRICKEN TAPE"

upload_2014-2-25_22-5-7.png upload_2014-2-25_22-6-42.png
    • Like Like x 2
  10. short faced bear

short faced bear Assistant Head Coach DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,178 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    58ß
    Thanks for posting that BSBears. I've looked at similar metrics on there, where you find one correlation you find it lacking in another. I'll take a injury free DT with decent to good metrics that can stuff the run and a DE that doesn't get washed away at the point of attack that is decently athletic with good body control.
  11. butkus3595

butkus3595 Veteran

Ratings:
    +472 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    144ß
    The combine is about the most useless thing on earth! This is coming from a guy who has helped people prepare for it. Virtually none of the drills correlate to football success. The only drills that one should pay attention to are vertical and broad jumps, and perhaps 10 yard splits in the 40. The bench is useless because it tests a players lactic tolerance in a sport that is alactic-anerobic. If they really wanted a good test of power they should have the athletes perform backwards overhead med ball throws. Every single drill can be trained for, and there are techniques that can help you perform better on them. Tape, tape, tape...thats what you need to analyze a prospect. A lot of scouts will tell you that if a guy does well at the combine it will make them go back and watch their film again. Like everything else the combine has become big business for the NFL so it's not going anywhere anytime soon.
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +2,147 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    471ß
    I strongly agree with this. This was Jerry Angelo's downfall too. At the end of the day, it's all about drafting solid football players. The fixation on anything other than this, is what has led us to draft mediocre talent at best, and busts at worst. Just draft guys who can play solid football.......and hopefully healthy guys. No more drafting guys who never pan out due to pre-existing injury woes.

I don't see it taking this long to fix, but I do believe it's a bigger problem than we can fix this year. Hopefully the defense is improved this season, but there's far more to fix here than we can repair in 1 off-season. And this is assuming Emery can draft defense in a capable manner. He's shown that he can draft solid offensive players, but we don't know (yet) that he can draft solid D players.
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Bearstuff

Bearstuff Yes, in the woods. Staff Member SuperFan

Ratings:
    +1,079 / 3 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    428ß
    Seems like a whole lotta rant and not much reason, to me.
  14. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +2,147 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    471ß
    I think you're right due to the fact most folks feel like you have to let Emery take another swing at drafting defense. This will be his 3rd draft here in Chicago. If he fixes the defense this season then all is good here with Emery. But, if he whiffs in his 3rd draft and the D doesn't get some solid players, then you're gonna see a lot more than just this guy ranting about it. People are not used to seeing an embarrassingly bad defense in Chicago. I hate it.
  15. VJ18

VJ18 Veteran

Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    15ß
    Sorry but this beat writer is an idiot in my eyes
    • Like Like x 4
  16. omc1969

omc1969 Veteran

Ratings:
    +203 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    26ß
    Maybe he should ask himself if he would rather have the "Angler" back !
    ;)
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. weneedmorelinemen

weneedmorelinemen Veteran

Ratings:
    +348 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    70ß
    This is exactly what I was thinking the entire time I was reading the article.
  18. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,745 / 3 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,328ß
    Exactly. The Trib needs to rename his column The RosenRant. He always has a point to make but he carries is such extremes and beats it to death with some ridiculous logic. I guess he's the current Jay Moron...notti.
  19. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +2,147 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    471ß
    I agree. It's just his writing style. But sometimes his point is valid. He just goes over the top on the point. I figure Emery will be fine as we move forward. He won't be perfect, and he'll make some mistakes like every GM makes. The key will be:

1. Learning from mistakes (something Angelo and Lovie didn't always do).
    2. Repeating his success with the offense, by acquiring solid players on defense. If he does that, then we're going to be a really good team.