Chicago Tribune: Trying to make sense of Emery's ongoing disaster

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by JustAnotherBearsFan99, Feb 25, 2014.

1. butkus3595

butkus3595
    Expand Collapse
    Pro-Bowler

ßearz ßuckz:
    3,349ß
    Please Register or Log in to Remove this Advertisement!
    The combine is about the most useless thing on earth! This is coming from a guy who has helped people prepare for it. Virtually none of the drills correlate to football success. The only drills that one should pay attention to are vertical and broad jumps, and perhaps 10 yard splits in the 40. The bench is useless because it tests a players lactic tolerance in a sport that is alactic-anerobic. If they really wanted a good test of power they should have the athletes perform backwards overhead med ball throws. Every single drill can be trained for, and there are techniques that can help you perform better on them. Tape, tape, tape...thats what you need to analyze a prospect. A lot of scouts will tell you that if a guy does well at the combine it will make them go back and watch their film again. Like everything else the combine has become big business for the NFL so it's not going anywhere anytime soon.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99
    Expand Collapse
    Assistant Head Coach
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    5,286ß
    I strongly agree with this. This was Jerry Angelo's downfall too. At the end of the day, it's all about drafting solid football players. The fixation on anything other than this, is what has led us to draft mediocre talent at best, and busts at worst. Just draft guys who can play solid football.......and hopefully healthy guys. No more drafting guys who never pan out due to pre-existing injury woes.

I don't see it taking this long to fix, but I do believe it's a bigger problem than we can fix this year. Hopefully the defense is improved this season, but there's far more to fix here than we can repair in 1 off-season. And this is assuming Emery can draft defense in a capable manner. He's shown that he can draft solid offensive players, but we don't know (yet) that he can draft solid D players.

#12 JustAnotherBearsFan99, Feb 26, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Bearstuff

Bearstuff
    Expand Collapse
    Yes, in the woods.
    Staff Member

ßearz ßuckz:
    831ß
    Seems like a whole lotta rant and not much reason, to me.

4. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99
    Expand Collapse
    Assistant Head Coach
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    5,286ß
    I think you're right due to the fact most folks feel like you have to let Emery take another swing at drafting defense. This will be his 3rd draft here in Chicago. If he fixes the defense this season then all is good here with Emery. But, if he whiffs in his 3rd draft and the D doesn't get some solid players, then you're gonna see a lot more than just this guy ranting about it. People are not used to seeing an embarrassingly bad defense in Chicago. I hate it.

5. VJ18

VJ18
    Expand Collapse
    Veteran

ßearz ßuckz:
    343ß
    Sorry but this beat writer is an idiot in my eyes

• Like Like x 4
  6. omc1969

omc1969
    Expand Collapse
    Veteran

ßearz ßuckz:
    50ß
    Maybe he should ask himself if he would rather have the "Angler" back !
    ;)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. weneedmorelinemen

weneedmorelinemen
    Expand Collapse
    Pro-Bowler

ßearz ßuckz:
    574ß
    This is exactly what I was thinking the entire time I was reading the article.

8. soulman

soulman
    Expand Collapse
    Coordinator
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    4,826ß
    Exactly. The Trib needs to rename his column The RosenRant. He always has a point to make but he carries is such extremes and beats it to death with some ridiculous logic. I guess he's the current Jay Moron...notti.

9. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99
    Expand Collapse
    Assistant Head Coach
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    5,286ß
    I agree. It's just his writing style. But sometimes his point is valid. He just goes over the top on the point. I figure Emery will be fine as we move forward. He won't be perfect, and he'll make some mistakes like every GM makes. The key will be:

1. Learning from mistakes (something Angelo and Lovie didn't always do).
    2. Repeating his success with the offense, by acquiring solid players on defense. If he does that, then we're going to be a really good team.