chicago v cincy post game

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by riczaj01, Sep 8, 2013.

1. Jimmors

Jimmors The Rhymenoceros Staff Member SuperFan

Ratings:
    +3,999 / 8 / -5
    ßearz ßuckz:
    203ß
    Not only won, but came back after trailing by 11.

Of course, the Bengals kinda screwed themselves over in the second half as well
    • Like Like x 1
  2. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,467 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    262ß
    Lets also give some more cred to the coaches, The first half was damn near at 3 to 1 ratio in yards for cincy, the 2nd half the Bears reversed that and at the end of the game, the yards were damn near equal 340 to 323
    • Like Like x 4
  3. BearsWin

BearsWin Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Not so sure that we were the better team, just a bit more opportunistic. I'll take it, but i think we would lose 2/3. Today was just the one.

ps. why did the bengals seem to get an extra 5 yards after every hit??? that was very aggrevating.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,467 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    262ß
    from espn:

Locker Room Buzz: Chicago Bears
    September, 8, 2013
    SEP 8
    5:20
    PM ET
    By Michael C. Wright | ESPNChicago.com
    CHICAGO -- Observed in the locker room after the Bears’ 24-21 win over the Cincinnati Bengals.

No-huddle ineffective: The Bears tried to execute the no-huddle offense early against the Bengals, but “the [calls] just weren’t working,” according to tackle Jermon Bushrod. Running the no-huddle offense is supposed to speed up things, but in this case it slowed down things, he said.

Rookie has words with Atkins: Bears right guard Kyle Long walked off the field talking to Bengals defensive tackle Geno Atkins, and in the locker room after the game the rookie seemed in awe of the feat he had just accomplished in his first NFL start. The Bears held the Bengals sackless.

“I told him my sleep cycle will probably be back to normal after playing him,” Long said. “It’s like trying to block a fire hydrant. The guy’s like bolted to the ground.”

Williams holds up in debut: Linebacker D.J. Williams missed the preseason due to a calf injury, but played the whole game without conditioning becoming an issue.

“It’s been a long time since I actually put a bunch of plays together,” said Williams, clad in all black, including a T-shirt with a screened image of Bruce Lee.

For as iffy as Shea has been, Long has proven to be really solid. Atkins is hardly a stiff, and for Long to hold up that well against him is definately a feat.
    I have no issues w/how DJ played, this was essentially his pre season. I'll be more critical next week though. But make no mistake for as quite as Williams was, Bostic would have made a lot of negative noise this week against the Bengals, Eifert and the rest of those guys going over the middle would have had a field day against him.
  5. Adibear

Adibear Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    TBH Cinny shot themselves in the foot ,with the silly penalties..
  6. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,836 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    94ß
    Today was just a first step on a season's journey. Trestman will build on this. We all understand this team will have to improve all season long. Lots of things to work on. But it was a wonderful beginning win against a high quality opponent.
    • Like Like x 3
  7. Ski-Whiz

Ski-Whiz George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +784 / 1 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    221ß
    Holy Shit Adi, thats an OLD sig... I think that thing was first seen in like 2005-2006.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. BearsWin

BearsWin Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    I agree, wins are better than losses. Especially against a good team. I think Cincy will again challenge for the playoffs. Watching SF and GB, they look better than we did today.
  9. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,467 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    262ß
    man so the buzz has worn off, and it was just so nice to see a Bears team that just didn't look like they belonged on the field w/another really good team. 1st 1/2 was sloppy, but w/a new OC/HC and a new DC and a new player calling the D plays I don't know what more could have been expected in this game, regardless of a win or loss the team looked like it could hold it's own against the top teams in the NFL right now, and I do expect the team to play better as the time goes on.
    • Like Like x 4
  10. dabears70

dabears70 Rookie

Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Peanut didn't give all those yards up to him, i saw Jennings on him some and others but Peanut takes most of it.

I'm more worried about not getting any pressure on the QB. Dalton's jersey was still looking clean in the 4th.
  11. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,467 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    262ß
    Lets not forget that after the game it was pointed out that Tillman left the 1st half dehydrated and threw up at least 2 times during the game. Tillman wasn't 100% today, and he still was the D player of the game.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Akuma2000

Akuma2000 Veteran SuperFan

Ratings:
    +146 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    11ß
    Me and my girlfriend went to the game today, overall is was a good game for the Bears, but the only problem I saw was that there was no pressure on the qb from our defense and the bengals were killing us on 3rd down completions keeping the ball moving.......but that will be cleaned up as the season goes on, as for the int that Cutler threw it looked liked I think that bennet (earl or martillus) ran the wrong route or was out of place or something.

I was really pleased with the play calling by coach trestman, he ran more passing plays because the run game wasn't working as much in the 1st half but when the pass game started picking up that's when the run game got going. I give kudos to Long and Mills for not allowing Cutler to get sacked ALL game, this is a good confidence builder for those two and it also shows the bears can play against top nfl defenses knowing Cutler will be protected.

Overall, I loved everything about the game...balanced play calling on offense and some good stops on defense and the int and forced fumble. The Bears are poised to contend against any team in the nfl, the offense will pick as the season goes on and this will keep our defense resting on sideline and the defense will continue doing what they do.........most importantly the Bears came away with no major injuries (the bengals had 2 or 3 players injured in game if not mistaken).

Bring on the Vi-queens.....
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2013
    • Like Like x 3
  13. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,467 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    262ß
    http://www.hubarkush.com/2013/09/08/hub-arkush-bears-found-a-way-to-win/a1mz5zg/?page=1

Hub Arkush: Bears found a way to win
    By HUB ARKUSH - harkush@shawmedia.com - Sunday, September 8, 2013 6:09 p.m. CDT

Christmas came early for the Chicago Bears in Week 1 as the Cincinnati Bengals showered them with gifts and the Bears weren't too proud to accept.

But all the gifts in the world are useless unless you find the directions to assemble them and have the patience to get the job done.

The Bears' 24-21 victory over the Bengals was a testimony to perseverance, short memories and preparation.

The Bengals could easily have put this game away early and perhaps should have. Trailing 7-0 after Charles "Peanut" Tillman's interception of a ball Andy Dalton never should have thrown at his own 36-yard line, Jay Cutler threw an 8-yard touchdown pass to Martellus Bennett. Then the Bengals drove 97 yards in nine plays to tie it at 7 on a 2-yard A.J. Green touchdown catch.

The Bears managed just 31 yards on eight plays and the Bengals were in the midst of another 80-plus yard drive when Dalton hit Green on the hands at the Bears' 17 and the Bengal receiver deflected the ball directly to Tillman for his second interception of the game.

The Bears could manage just a three and out and the Bengals took off again with an eight-play, 91-yard touchdown drive culminating on a 45-yard Dalton-to-Green connection to make it 14 - 7.

After the Bears and Bengals swapped three and outs, Cincinnati punted to the Bears at their own 41 and Dre Kirkpatrick committed a personal foul out of bounds, setting the Bears up at the Bengals 44 with :37 left.

The Bears managed just four yards on two plays, ran out of time and were forced to try a Robbie Gould 58-yard field goal.

As it turned out, this was probably the turning point of the game, where luck met opportunity and talent succeeded. Without the bonehead Kirkpatrick penalty, the Bears go to the locker room down 14-7. But without one of the best field goal kickers in the league, capable of nailing a 58-yarder that might have been good from 65, they still go to the locker room down 7.

That field goal turned out to be the difference in the game.

Still, at halftime, the Bengals had totaled 240 yards on 34 plays and the Bears had managed just 92 yards on 33 plays. When the Bengals took the second half kickoff and held the ball for half the third quarter, putting together a 12-play, 80-yard drive ending in a 5-yard BenJarvus Green-Ellis touchdown, making the score 21-10. At that point, it felt like the Bears might be done.

Instead, the Bears fired back on the ensuing posssession when Cutler scrambled out of trouble from his own 35 and found a wide-open Martellus Bennett on the right sideline for a 30-yard catch and run. The drive totaled 80 yards on nine plays and the Bears were back in business at 21-17.

On the second play of the fourth quarter, the Bears had a Cutler moment with the quarterback throwing an interception to Vontaze Burfict, who appeared to be the only player for either team in the neighborhood.

Rather than let the Bengals salt the game away, just three plays later Tim Jennings stripped Mohamed Sanu at the Bears 19 and recovered the ball himself, and eight plays after that Cutler found Brandon Marshall for a 19-yard touchdown toss that gave the Bears the 24-21 win.

So was this a new version of the Bears to get excited about, or more of the old raising more questions than they provided answers? We'll need at least another week and probably more to know.

But what we do know is in a game most teams would have lost against a quality opponent, the Bears found a way to win. That suggests this may have been the start of something good.

• Hub Arkush covers the Bears for Shaw Media and HubArkush.com. Write to him at harkush@shawmedia.com.

I know people aren't a fan of Hub's "negative attitude" but he makes some valid points. It's quite possible that the Bengals should have won this game, except for 2 really bad penalties that cost them the game, 1 he mentioned the 1/2 time PF that gave the Bears field position for a Gould FG attempt, the other he didn't mention, and that's at the end of the game when a field goal would have tied it, the Bears failed to make their 3rd and short, but another PF gave the Bears a 1st down and ability to run out the clock.

But like Hub said, the Bears had the talent and wearwithall to win a game that they probably shouldn't have. And that's a good thing, I don't know that under Lovie and co' last year they pull out this win. I don't know that under Lovie and co' they are even in this game. One thing I think we are forgetting about is that the for the first time in a long time, Cutler helped the OL out, he was getting rid of the ball quickly, and he was getting it to the wr's before they were seen open. It's why one of the best DL's in the league could only get a few pressures/hits and no sacks; Dalton did the same thing to the Bears DL btw, Dalton's quick release and decision making made their OL look better then they really are.
  14. Tarkus

Tarkus Veteran

Ratings:
    +270 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I don't care what some naysayers say, Cutler's a tough hombre...
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2013
  15. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,467 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    262ß
    also from hub's site:

Musick: No quit in Tillman, Bears
    By TOM MUSICK – tmusick@shawmedia.com - Sunday, September 8, 2013 6:39 p.m. CDT

The Bears defense was about to take the field halfway through the second quarter, and Charles Tillman was beyond gassed. All Tillman had done in the first four series was pick off two passes and weave downfield on a wild 41-yard interception return.

Now, Tillman reportedly was suffering from dehydration on the sidelines.

“We had punted the ball,” said Bowman, who is Tillman’s backup. “And when I came off to the sidelines from the punt, it was like, ‘Hey, you’re in.’ I was like, ‘OK.’

“I didn’t ask any questions because, at that point in time, I’ve got to switch my mind. They said that he was going through a little something. I didn’t know it was.”

Hmm. I think it rhymes with curling and starts with an h.

On the next series, Tillman came back.

Eventually, so did the Bears.

No player symbolized the Bears’ 24-21 win against the Cincinnati Bengals more than Tillman, the greatest cornerback in franchise history. In a span of three hours, Tillman and Bengals star receiver A.J. Green traded so many knockout-caliber blows that the only things missing were Don King and a square of canvas.

Tillman jumped Green’s route to pick off a pass by Andy Dalton. Green dazzled with a double move that bordered on bullying. Tillman recovered with another takeaway on a pass that Green let slip. Green stretched the field with unfair speed.

By the end of the game, reporters were ready to hear from the winning veteran.

But Tillman’s locker was empty.

On its top shelf sat an empty green cup with a Gatorade logo. On a steel rod dangled three plain white hangers. On a bench, for some reason, rested the Bears Gameday magazine with a photo illustration of Jay Cutler on the cover.

Tillman was sick. Tillman was gone. But Tillman’s teammates were talking.

“I hope that not just people watching the game on television but the people in this organization know what kind of player No. 33 is,” Bears linebacker Lance Briggs said in a not-so-subtle nod to Tillman’s expiring contract. “He battled an elite receiver. … To get the ball out and create turnovers and get interceptions and stuff like that, that’s what we’re all about, and Peanut is the pinnacle of it.”

Perhaps playing at a high level is like playing at a high altitude.

You play your heart out on the field. You get sick on the sidelines.

Take it from Bears cornerback Tim Jennings. There’s no shame in the struggle.

“We all have,” Jennings said. “And Peanut, he’s been battling that his whole career.”

So in came Bowman. Jennings moved across the field to try to cover Green.

“I didn’t know what [Tillman] was going through physically,” Jennings said. “But I just know he wasn’t out there. Guys knew that. And Cincinnati knew that.”

Yes, they did.

Eight plays and 91 yards later, the Bengals had grabbed a 14-7 lead. Green beat Jennings deep down the right sideline and hauled in a 45-yard pass for the score.

Jennings said the series was a struggle without his Pro Bowl counterpart.

“That’s just the impact he has on the secondary, man,” Jennings said. “We definitely don’t want him out in situations like that. Good thing it wasn’t serious. He just had to catch his wind, and he came back out there and made some plays for us.”

He missed some, too.

It happens.

“It’s going to be like that,” Bowman said. “[A.J.] gets paid on the other side of the ball, too. He’s a good player.

“Peanut is going to win some battles. A.J. is going to win some battles. At the end of the day, you’ve just got to keep fighting, and that’s what Peanut did.”

After the game, Green heaped praise on Tillman. Green finished the game with nine catches for 162 yards and two touchdowns, and it’s scary to imagine what he might have done against a less talented defender.

“[He’s] good,” Green said. “[He’s] a great corner, man. Very crafty. Probably one of the best in the game. One of the best I’ve went up against.”

Bengals left tackle Anthony Collins shook his head at Tillman’s perseverance.

“I was just telling my teammate [Domata Peko], he’s good,” Collins said. “He’s a ball hawk. Everything they write up on him is true. And I’ve seen it first hand.”

We all have.

We’re pretty spoiled.

• Northwest Herald sports columnist Tom Musick can be reached at tmusick@shawmedia.com and on Twitter @tcmusick.

When Tillman leaves it will be a bigger impact then when BU left, or when Briggs leaves. He's an absolute stud, and he's been going up against, and either outplaying or playing to a standstill the best WR's in the game. He will not be replaced.
    • Like Like x 1
  16. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,467 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    262ß
    another one from hubs' site:

Cutler's scrambles aid Bears in victory
    By KEVIN FISHBAIN — kfishbain@shawmedia.com - Sunday, September 8, 2013 5:44 p.m. CDT

CHICAGO — Jay Cutler has become accustomed to running for his life, but his scrambles on Sunday had nothing to do with poor play up front and set up some of the biggest plays during the Bears' 24-21 win over the Bengals.

“The two plays that really resonate with me offensively were Jay’s scramble, hitting Martellus for the big gain. Then Jay scrambling. … we had a throw to Brandon [Marshall], they covered it well, Jay found a lane and got ourselves in position to make a first down,” head coach Marc Trestman said.

In the third quarter, the Bears faced a third-and-7 from their own 35-yard line. Cutler evaded the pressure, moved to his right and appeared ready to take off. But right before the line of scrimmage, Cutler found Martellus Bennett with plenty of green in front of him.

Bennett turned it into a 30-yard gain, and the Bears scored a touchdown five plays later.

In the fourth quarter, facing a second-and-20 after a holding penalty, Cutler ran again. This time, he found a gap up the gut and took it for 18 yards. He hit Brandon Marshall for the go-ahead touchdown three plays later.

“The two runs and the scrambles on third down were really as key plays as you get in the game because they allowed us to continue both drives,” Trestman said.

Cutler also had a play where he scrambled right, saw nothing, reversed fields back left and hit Matt Forte for a 24-yard gain. Cutler’s legs helped create three of the Bears’ longest seven plays. The offensive line helped keep Cutler clean, and his runs helped the line.

"The line likes that when I’m able to break the pocket and make some yardage and find somebody on the move," he said. "It takes some pressure off them."

No Pressure: With 7:58 to go in the game, the Bears put Andy Dalton on his back for the first and only time in the game, when Shea McClellin sacked him. The lack of pressure up front helped give Dalton the time to make big plays to A.J. Green.

Paea penetration: While the D-line didn’t do its job in terms of a pass rush, it won the battles against the run, mainly led by Stephen Paea. He had six tackles, including two assists on tackles for loss. Two of his tackles stopped BenJarvus Green-Ellis for one-yard gains.

Up-and-down debut: Martellus Bennett dropped a pass on the first play of the game. “Jittery, first game, Soldier Field, anxious,” he said. Bennett made up for it with a highlight-reel touchdown catch in the first quarter. He then had the 30-yard catch-and-run on Cutler’s scramble, but was also flagged for two holding penalties.

Cutler had a hell of a game, I haven't looked at the stats, but I guarantee you that the ball was spread around really well, and was not Marshal centric, which is huge. And while he's not a "running qb" like the young guys right now, he's got some Steve Young in him, where he can scramble really well and either dump off at the last minute or just take for 10-20 yards. Most here probably think I'm anti, JC...I'm not, but this is the JC I wanted to see, the one that moves the ball around, that doesn't make awful decisions when the game is on the line, the one that gets rid of the ball quickly. This is the JC that was in Denver, but has not been in Chicago. This is the JC I want to see more often, and it didn't have to do w/the OL or the WR's. It had to do w/JC playing w/in the game and w/in himself. It seems we finally have a HC that can get through to him.
  17. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,467 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    262ß
    from espn:

Following the blueprint
    Cutler, Bears follow Trestman's formula in landing coach's first NFL win
    Updated: September 8, 2013, 8:32 PM ET
    By Jon Greenberg | ESPNChicago.com

CHICAGO -- Jay Cutler is just like you. Sure, he's better-dressed, filthy rich and has the most scrutinized job in the city, but like most of Chicago, he too was curious to see how the New Bears Offense would perform in its debut.

And he's the guy running it. After four years of unfulfilled promises, three offensive coordinators and enough sideline spats for a "30 for 30" special, I wouldn't blame him for being nervous.

This is a contract year for Cutler and perhaps his last chance of making good on the promise of a specialcareer.

"I think there was a little bit of nerves throughout the locker room, including me," he said after the Bears' 24-21 season-opening comeback victory over Cincinnati. "There's a lot of question marks. How are we going to do on offense? What plays are going to work? Are we going to be able to block? Am I going to be able tocomplete balls? It wasn't pretty, it wasn't perfect. It wasn't going to be. We made plays when we had to make plays."

That they did. Like on third-and-3, fourth-and-1 and first-and-10. Those are good times to make plays, especially when they come on the same pivotal drive in the fourth quarter.

The Bears showed something in the fourth quarter.

It was on that game-winning drive, with the Bears trailing talented but undisciplined Cincinnati 21-17, those nerves Cutler talked about turned into nervy plays.

On third-and-3 from the Chicago 26, Cutler had plenty of time to find his buddy Brandon Marshall streaking down the right sideline for a 38-yard gain. Nothing new there, except Cutler admitted the star wideout wasn't the first option on the play. He wasn't the second either.

"We wanted to try and get Marty [Bennett] down the middle again, they covered that up," Cutler said. "We had a checkdown to Alshon [Jeffery] in the left flat, they covered that. B was kind of the third, late read there. It got to him a click late, but he still made a great play on it." That's how an offense is supposed to work.

After a Bennett holding call made it second-and-20 -- shades of Kellen Davis -- Cutler found all his receivers covered, saw a hole in the middle of the defense and ran 18 yards.

That's when a quarterback is supposed to run.

Two plays later, on fourth-and-1 from the Bengals' 27, with 8 1/2 minutes left in the game, Trestman made the easy call to go for it instead of kick the field goal.

Because that's when you run the ball behind two rookie linemen in Kyle Long and Jordan Mills.

Wait, what?

The call was unconventional as Forte took the fourth-down handoff wide to the right side, where the rookie linemen roam. Forte bounced outside for eight yards.

"[Gutsy] play call," Cutler said. "That's what Tres is about. He's going to roll the dice. He believes in us and the offense. The way those two guys are playing up front, really all five of those guys, we could've pretty much called anything we wanted." On the next play, first-and-10 from the Bengals' 19, Cutler found Marshall in the front right corner of the end zone, matched up one on one with a safety. Marshall made a tough catch for the score and a 24-21 lead.

"I didn't understand it," Marshall said. "Fourth quarter, put a safety on me one on one. You can only ask for that and dream about it." Dream a little dream for the fans too, Brandon.

Soldier Field erupted when it was clear Marshall had the catch. The Bears closed out the win with a three-and-out by the defense and a 6½-minute drive against the timeout-less Bengals.

Cutler completed 21-of-33 passes for 242 yards and two scores. He wasn't sacked and threw one interception.

Marshall had eight catches for 104 yards in a more democratic offense.

Forte had 50 yards on 19 carries, including a one-yard score, and caught four passes for 41 yards.

Martellus Bennett dropped his first chance -- "I bet everyone was like, 'Here we go again,'" he said -- but caught three passes for 49 yards, including an 8-yard touchdown catch.

Long and Mills stood out by not standing out playing in their first real NFL game.

It took a half to get there, not to mention the turbulent past four years. We've seen mirages before -- the first game last year, a 41-21 win over Indianapolis comes to mind -- and then we've seen the reality later, such as Marshall crying, Cutler pouting and Lovie Smith getting canned.

With a new coach, who came by way of the Canadian Football League after a life of bouncing around assistant jobs in the NFL, and the cloudy past of Cutler, the Bears are an afterthought nationally. That's fair. To me, that makes this team dangerous.

The Bears didn't look formidable in the first half. It took four three-and-out drives and five punts to see the potential in the Trestman offense in the second half.

"Things started clicking a little bit," Cutler said of the second half. "We weren't really happy early on. Our tempo was a little off-kilter." Trestman said the slow start was partly by design as they wanted to put Long and Mills, the rookie right guard and right tackle, respectively, in positions to succeed with heavy blocking. If they're blocking well, then Cutler is upright and happy. And when Cutler is upright and happy, everyone is happy.

"The goal in the first half was to find out a little bit more about ourselves, let our young guys get settled and try to keep [Cutler] clean," Trestman said. "That was the No. 1. Whatever the score is, if he's clean in the first quarter and he feels like he can step up and throw, there is a chance we can be throwing the ball later in the game."

It worked. Cutler got hit a couple times, but he wasn't sacked all game.

Still, this isn't the preseason, where you work on things and build confidence. The Bears get judged by results, and the first game counts the same as the rest. Chicago trailed 14-10 at halftime, thanks to Bennett's nifty first-quarter touchdown and Robbie Gould's franchise-record 58-yard field goal with 11 seconds left.

The Bengals took a 21-10 lead on with a long drive to start the third quarter.

After so many false starts, metaphorical and otherwise, the past four seasons, it was OK to wonder at that point if the New Offense was like New Coke.

But what happened in the next drive, the Bears' only one of the third quarter, is also key in understanding the promise with this team.

Cutler completed passes to three different players, including a scramble and flick to tight end Bennett, who turned it into a 30-yard gain, and Forte scored from the goal line out of the shotgun to cut their deficit to 21-17.

Marshall was more than happy to share the wealth. While he was targeted a team-high 10 times (he caught eight passes for 104 yards), Jeffery was targeted eight times and Forte and Bennett six apiece.

"I think you guys heard me say it time and time again last year, I may even have had some tears in my eyes last year about it," Marshall said. "Get other guys the ball. Because when it happens, they have to play true. They really can't double me as much." Sure enough, on that game-winning drive, Marshall made two huge plays with single coverage.

Trestman didn't want to take any credit or draw any attention to his first win as an NFL head coach.

"Sundays are for players," he said.

But the players gave him the game ball and, with a wide smile, Marshall called Trestman a "special guy," noting there's a "science" to this offense that demands accountability and precision.

"His hands stay steady," Marshall said. "There's no ups and downs. He's special, man." It's too early to call this a special offense. But in that second half, you could see why the Bears hired Trestman and what he can do with this maligned unit. I saw the promise there and they did too.

"There's a lot of positives," Cutler said. "There's some stuff to build on. But it's out of the way and we can get the rest of the season underway."
  18. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,467 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    262ß
    more from the 4letter network

Bears' defense stops Dalton when it counts
    September, 8, 2013
    SEP 8
    7:18
    PM ET
    By Michael C. Wright | ESPNChicago.com

CHICAGO -- Defensive tackle Henry Melton admitted to feeling frustrated Sunday about how Cincinnati quarterback Andy Dalton seemed to tee off on Chicago’s defense, but he knew patience would eventually pay dividends.

Dalton torched the Bears for 189 yards in the first half and a pair of touchdowns, as he helped the Bengals convert five of seven third downs. What was more frustrating for Melton was that through the first two quarters, nobody seemed to be able to get a hand on the quarterback.

“He was getting it out extremely quick,” Melton said. “They had a good game plan. They were gonna just take what we were giving them, for sure. But if they were gonna do that, they would have to be perfect. If you’re not perfect, we’re gonna get turnovers.”

The Bears proved as much in the first half, with Charles Tillman picking off two Dalton passes (both intended forA.J. Green), one of which was thrown almost perfectly. The Bears turned one of those turnovers into a touchdown, an 8-yard pass from Jay Cutler toMartellus Bennett.

But Tillman seemed to struggle at times against Green. Even when it seemed the cornerback executed perfect coverage, Green and Dalton found a way to connect.

Green caught nine passes for 162 yards and two touchdowns, but the receiver did almost all of his damage in the first half. When Tillman left the game late in the second quarter due to dehydration, Green lined up over Tim Jennings and hauled in a 45-yard bomb for a TD that gave the Bengals a 14-7 advantage.

“He battled an elite receiver,” Bears linebacker Lance Briggs said of Tillman. “With some of those big plays, you can’t get in better position than [Tillman] was in. [Green] made some fantastic catches. But to get the ball out and create turnovers and get interceptions and stuff like that, that’s what we’re all about, and Peanut is the pinnacle of it.”

Jennings set up Cutler’s go-ahead touchdown pass to Brandon Marshall in the fourth quarter when he jarred the ball loose from the arms of Mohamed Sanu. Jennings scooped up the loose ball to set up the Bears on the 19.

“They’re a very explosive team,” Jennings said. “They’ve got their players, but we were able to make a little bit more of it toward the end on defense, and the offense carried us home.”

With the Bears finally ahead and the Bengals looking to mount a drive to take the lead with 7:58 left to play, the defensive line finally found a way to apply pressure to Dalton. The result: a Shea McClellin sack for a 5-yard loss.

Two plays later, Cincinnati punted, which allowed the Bears to run off the final 6 minutes, 38 seconds to seal the victory.

“There were times we were getting frustrated,” Melton said. “You couldn’t really even get into your pass-rushing moves because the ball was already coming out. They were playing small ball, but they were trying to lull you to sleep and then throw it deep.”
  19. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,467 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    262ß
    another espn one:

5 things we learned vs. Bengals
    September, 8, 2013
    SEP 8
    6:20
    PM ET
    By Jeff Dickerson | ESPNChicago.com

CHICAGO -- Here are five things we learned in the Chicago Bears' 24-21 victory against theCincinnati Bengals:

1. Charles Tillman battled despite illness: Playing through an injury or ailment is nothing new for Tillman, but his seven-tackle, two-interception effort, despite covering the dangerous A.J. Green, was commendable. Green got the best of Tillman on multiple occasions and finished the day with a game-high nine catches for 162 yards and two touchdowns, but keep in mind that Tillman vomited multiple times on the sidelines before receiving an IV of fluid at halftime. Statistically speaking, Green easily won the battle, but Tillman showed moxie throughout the game. His desire to jump up and run with the football after an interception is refreshing. While most guys are content to break one tackle and fall to the ground following an interception, Tillman ran like a man possessed both times he had the football in his hands and looked at one point to have scored a touchdown on his first interception before the ruling on the field was overturned. Tillman works hard. He defends the opponent’s best receiver almost every week, and has never been accused of being a glory hound. He’s also the best cornerback in Bears’ history, but we already knew that.

2. The offense picked up steam as the game wore on: The Bears’ offense is far from a finished product, but Jay Cutler led the team on two second-half scoring drives that eventually proved to be the difference in the game. Cutler tossed one bad interception, but overall, he had himself a good regular-season opener, throwing for 242 yards, two touchdowns, and posting a 93.2 quarterback rating. Cutler wasn’t sacked a single time. A lot of the credit for the Bears’ pass protection needs to go to Cutler, who got rid of the ball in a hurry and helped negate the Bengals’ talented defensive front. Cutler also displayed accuracy on his passes and spread the ball around to several different targets. If Cutler can play at this level and make these types of decisions every week, the Bears will be a playoff team.

3. Brandon Marshall’s hip was a non-issue: All the commotion about Marshall’s hip last week was overblown. Marshall doesn’t like to practice, but he loves to play in regular-season games. If that isn’t obvious by now, you haven’t been paying attention. The Pro Bowler appeared to be in mid-season form on Sunday, catching eight passes for 104 yards and one touchdown on a team-high 10 targets. Marshall needs the football. He’s great. He just doesn’t need to have the ball thrown his way when he’s double-and triple-covered. Cutler picked his spots to throw to Marshall, and the results were exactly what the Bears needed. It’s not too often Marshall isn’t the best receiver on the field (that honor went to Green on Sunday), but he did enough to help the team win, with most of his damage in the second half when the Bears were clawing their way past Cincinnati. After Cutler, Marshall was the Bears’ second most important offensive player on the field in Week 1.

4. Martellus Bennett makes an impact after a quiet preseason: Bennett’s numbers don’t jump off the page (three catches for 49 yards and one touchdown), but let’s examine his significance on Sunday. First, the tight end made an outstanding catch in the back of the endzone on a pass that was tipped by a Bengals’ defender. He came down inbounds with the football for the games’ first score. His second reception came on third down and went for 30 yards, helping set up the Bears’ first touchdown of the second half. Finally, Bennett hauled in a huge 11-yard pass on third down to move the chains late in the fourth quarter and keep the Bengals’ offense off the field. Teams need those kinds of subtle contributions from players in order to win in the NFL. The tight end is off to a good start after catching just one pass for 16 yards in the preseason. As Bennett said two weeks ago, players don’t cash bonus checks for what they do in the preseason. It’s the regular season that counts, and Bennett is off to a good start.

5. Marvin Lewis, really?: I cannot believe that a team with the second most tenured head coach in the NFL, with a defensive coordinator (Mike Zimmer) who many believe is good enough to be an NFL head coach, with a former NFL head coach on the staff (Hue Jackson) and a seasoned group of assistants would be capable of making such dumb and costly mental mistakes. The Bengals have nobody to blame but themselves for this one. From their lack of time management, to burning all three second-half timeouts with eight minutes left to play, to ridiculous personal foul penalties at critical moments of the game, the Bengals hardly resembled a team that some are predicting could advance to the Super Bowl. Championship teams are disciplined. The Bengals are not. Where is the common sense with this group?
  20. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,836 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    94ß
    Cutler was really solid today. He played smart. Not perfect, but pretty near perfect. Man, the guy's got a canon for an arm, yet puts better touch on the ball than he did when he first came to the Bears from Denver. He was much better about getting rid of the ball quicker - and better pocket presence too.

I thought the pass blocking was superb today.
    • Like Like x 4