chicago v cincy post game

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by riczaj01, Sep 8, 2013.

1. butka

butka

I think that's a good point Benj, but I'll also point out that it's probably viewed as cool and calm as it seemed to reflect on the entire team and coaching staff. There weren't the numerous false starts, there weren't 12 guys on the field, illegal shifts, poorly chosen red flags... those sorts of dumb mental errors that plagued this team. To many, Lovie seemed to be calm because he appeared to be more oblivious (whether that's true or not, I don't know). Trestman appeared to be calm, locked in, and focused.
    • Like Like x 4
  2. shark86x

shark86x SuperFan

Nail on the head. Trestman had a plan. In fact, he has multiple plans. It this happens - or doesn't- then we'll do this - or this.

Lovie was:

[​IMG]
    • Like Like x 2
  3. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 SuperFan

I always liked Lovie and wanted him to succeed as our HC, but I felt sorry for the guy during games. He looked "in over his head" and befuddled. He kept to the game plan even when it was failing and a 100% disaster unfolding. It was embarrassing, especially in nationally televised games. I think that is one reason why we were never taken seriously by the national NFL fans or by the media. The plane would be going down in big games, and the pilot looked like he was watching "the pretty clouds" outside the plane's windows - oblivious to it all.

[​IMG]
    • Like Like x 1
  4. DaTreeBears

DaTreeBears

Why did Lovie play the simplest D plan possible? Why did he have no answer for the O? Why? Do you remember his answers vague and without reason because he was clueless. The guy is the nicest person you will ever want to meet I have no doubt about that fact. BUT he had no right being a head coach that's a fact.
    • Like Like x 2
  5. Rogelio

Rogelio

The bolded isn't true, at least for the likes of Boers and Bernstein. Their shock jock routine relies on turmoil. They want the teams to be bad, or ideally mediocre, so they can rip the team apart. They can talk out of their ass and say something pattently wrong, and when people call in to correct them, they will make fun of them and hang up. All the while, some small, pathetic people are jerking off listening to Bernstein "destroy" a caller. B&B's worst nightmare is the Bears going 16-0, because there would be no way to tell the fans the team is horrible and get angry callers. They don't want the team to do well at all. They want the team to be flawed, but not to the point where they are the Jaguars and fans stop caring that they are losing games. They love when the Bears lose because then they get 1) angry people venting about the game, 2) angry people calling them out on their bullshit when they say the team is much worse than it actually is.

The biggest crime is that pieces of crap like them get expenses-paid travel to the Super Bowl when the team they spent all year telling you wasn't good ends up making it.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. riczaj01

riczaj01

1 show, shock jock non the less, does not the sports media make. Fact is places like EPSN TV/radio/.com/mag,, SI mag/.com, NFL Network/.com/Comcast, the SunTimes, the ChiTrib all will get more looks/listens and clicks if the Bears win and are successfull. The Bears in the SB will get more views then if Det or Mia or SD are in the SB.
  7. The Benjamin

The Benjamin Bear Down Staff Member

Face it. Trestman is Lovie but with offense. No way around that one. Not sure he knows much if defense much like Lovie knew nothing about offense.
  8. ZifanQ

ZifanQ SuperFan

Bennett signing already paying off. Had the one drop at the start of the game and two holding calls but I'd still take that anyday over Davis! Some of those plays/catches were just really impressive.

Cutler tunnelvision on Marshall? I think Cutler proved that, that is not the case for this season. Jeffery and Bennett will played well giving us now 3 big motherfucking legit targets, not to mention Forte and Earl.

Not a single sack afaik was giving up by the Bears.. What is this kind of soccery? It's something I could get used to! Long and Mills without any penaties afaik and played a solid first NFL game.

Shea getting the first sack of the season, hopefully it won't be his last!

LB corpse did play well despite the tackling issue.

Da Bears is still going to create loads of turnovers and if it wasn't for the turnovers I don't think we would have won the game. Turnovers are going to be an importen factor.

Good to see Forte being used in the passing game aswell, making him a double threat.

Cutler 3 TD - 1 INT? Cutler looked good despite the INT, WTF moment.

That pretty much sums up my thoughts on the game.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. 4dabers

4dabers

Sorry, but I don't think so. In terms of calm sideline demeanor, OK; but that is where the comparison ends, at least from what we've seen thus far. Since this was only Trestmans first regular season game, I think it's pretty early to say either way, but so far, that is the only "similarity" I see.
  10. The Benjamin

Time will tell, and I hope I am wrong.... But his defense was not as sharp or crisp as we are used to. But the offense was very impressive after a slow disappointing start in the first half
  11. JustAnotherBearsFan99

It sounds like Trestman is a true "student of the game" who understands all phases pretty well. He's "hands on" with everything. He strikes me as a really solid "teacher" with the guys. He was absolutely amazing to watch coach at training camp. Nothing was too small to miss his attention. He was really positive with the players too. They clearly "got it" that he was just trying to make them better - and that THIS guy understood all aspects of the game. It was everything from a hand placement or footwork or whatever - he noticed and corrected. The guys learned.

Lovie? I think he knew cover-2 defense. But even on defense he failed to adjust in big games. We lost too many of those games while he just gave his "wooden indian" impersonation on the sidelines.
  12. The Benjamin

I think we lost a lot of those games because of poor offense. I cannot think of too many games where we lost because his defense failed.
  13. JustAnotherBearsFan99

I agree.

Lovie was a solid defensive coach, and would be a decent DC. But, Lovie couldn't adapt well during games - even on defense He did lose some games for us this way. I don't know if it was stubborness to change, or simply that he had no clue on what to do. Against the better teams we did have games where Lovie's defenses got beat. In those games it would have been nice to have a solid offense that could help, rather than depending upon the defense for scoring. That only takes a team so far.

Somebody will hire Lovie as a HC at some point. If that happens, he needs to have a stellar OC. I wish him all the luck in the world and success in the future. I always liked the guy, and he represented the Bears with class. And we won a lot of games with him as our coach. I just don't think he had the gears to take us to a Super Bowl win - or better yet, multiple SB wins.
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2013
    • Like Like x 1
  14. A-11

A-11

With the new staff I worry a little that the D might fall off with time and incoming players. Lovie and Marinelli have instilled their philosophies to many on the roster. It is more than just the schemes and terminology. It also could be better, things might change drastically (3-4), or it could be much of the same (not a bad thing IMO). Too early to tell, but it is one of my thoughts.

On the whole I'm excited for the Bears. We still have to wait to see, but the O Line... what a refreshing change. More than the change itself though it seems like the Bears aren't afraid of change. That aspect from Emery down to Trestman seems like the real improvement. You will not make all the right decisions, but to make them and win more than you loose is progress.
    • Like Like x 1
  15. ticat

ticat

Well it is good to see him with a win on the first game. I missed most of it because a argo and 2 als fans showed up at my place and took over the remote. lol
  16. 4dabers

4dabers

JABF, absolutely right. We DID lose games because of Defense. I won't deny that the traditional anemic offense (which was ALSO his responsibility, just as Defense is also Trestman's responsibility) was often the culprit, but Defense most certainly lost us some games, ESPECIALLY before Marinelli showed up. I recall many seasons when we couldn't BUY a sack or even a QB pressure. There were QB's (Brett Favre comes to mind) that use to pick us apart like we had only 9 guys on the field. Lovie had a tendency to hire buddies for the coaching staff that were not that experienced or that great. Trestman's staff already appears to be better than any staff Lovie had in all his years here.

Head coaching also entails much more than how the Offense and Defense works independently; it also required in-game decisions and adjustments. It requires solid to good talent evaluation not only with current players but also at least some with potential draftees or other Pro's and discussion with the GM and scouting staff. It requires game planning for your opponent and preparing your players to face the team they are getting ready to play that week.

Ultimately, there is no way in hell to really compare these two guys yet because we haven't seen enough of Trestman, but what little we have seen, the only similarity is a "calm" sideline demeanor, and I'm not even so sure THAT will hold true for the whole season.

I'm also not so sure Lovie will get another NFL HC gig.

In conclusion, lets also keep in mind that the Bears Defense had the same condition that ALL the teams that played yesterday suffered from; First game sloppiness. I watch Lance Briggs bounce off no less than 3 sure tackles yesterday. Is a perennial Pro Bowl Linebacker missing multiple sure tackles the fault of the HC? I didn't notice the multi-milliona dollar man (Julius Peppers) do a thing, but that's not Trestman either. Do we think the Bengals will make some of the same stupid mistakes they made yesterday throughout the season? Did anyone watch the Giants and Cowboys last night? Geez, that was bad.
    • Like Like x 4
  17. riczaj01

riczaj01

Benj, well yesterday we won b/c of a good D and a good O, neither were great, but you cannot afford to have a poor outing by either. I'll take yesterdays win over any # of great D performances that were lost b/c of a bad O, and I wouldn't sacrafice an attempt to imrpove that O, even if it means a less then Great D.
    • Like Like x 1
  18. riczaj01

riczaj01

http://espn.go.com/blog/chicago/bears/
    Upon Further Review: Bears Week 1
    September, 9, 2013
    Sep 9
    12:00
    PM ET
    By Michael C. Wright | ESPNChicago.com

An examination of four hot issues from the Bears’ 24-21 win over the Bengals:

No pressure from the defensive line: Let’s not get too worried about it now because Bengals quarterback Andy Dalton let the ball fly quickly at the end of his drops. Cincinnati’s game plan was to get rid of the ball quickly and take what the defense was giving it. That meant lots of dink-and-dunk football.

“There were times we were getting frustrated,” Bears defensive tackle Henry Melton said. “You couldn’t really even get into your pass-rushing moves because the ball was already coming out. They were playing small ball.”

Defensive end Shea McClellin posted the lone sack, but that play came in a timely fashion considering it was Cincinnati’s final drive. Again, this isn’t something to be concerned with. Also, after one game, I’m not buying the theory that defensive end Julius Peppers has all of the sudden lost it. Trust me, he hasn’t.

Slow start on offense: Left tackle Jermon Bushrod said if there was anything he thought the Bears could’ve done better Sunday, it would have been getting out to a faster start.

The Bears converted on just 2 of 8 third downs in the first half, while generating 97 yards of offense, compared to Cincinnati’s 245. The 10 points Chicago scored in the first half came as a result of prime field position from a Charles Tillman interception and a 15-yard personal-foul penalty by Dre Kirkpatrick, which gave the Bears possession at the Bengals' 44.

“We could always start faster,” Bushrod said.

Missed tackles: Bears defensive coordinator Mel Tucker thought the defense performed well, but admitted the unit missed too many tackles while squandering opportunities to get off the field on third down -- issues that seem to go hand in hand.

In the first half, the Bengals converted on 71 percent of their third downs.

“It wasn’t like it was third-and-short. It was third-and-10, third-and-11,” linebacker Lance Briggs said. “Those are defensive-heavy, winning-percentage downs. That’s stuff we have to correct. I missed a lot of tackles today.”

No running game: Matt Forte averaged 2.6 yards on 19 attempts, which is a little low. But it’s to be expected considering the caliber of competition the Bears faced Sunday against Cincinnati’s dynamic front seven.

What’s important is Forte was able to gain 8 yards on a crucial fourth-and-1 with the game on the line.
  19. riczaj01

riczaj01

Jay Cutler fierce against Bengals pressure
    September, 9, 2013
    Sep 9
    1:15
    PM ET
    By Michael C. Wright | ESPNChicago.com

Jay Cutler Passing vs. 5-Plus Rushers
    Category 2012 Sunday
    Comp. pct. 50 80
    Yards per att. 6.9 9.4
    TD-Int. 7-6 1-0
    First-down pct. 25 40
    *Cutler was 8-for-10 for 94 yards and one TD on Sunday.

LAKE FOREST, Ill. -- It's too early to call Jay Cutler’s performance in the face of Cincinnati’s pass rush on Sunday an indicator of the future, but how he handled things was markedly different in that outing than the past.
    The Bengals brought at least five rushers on 10 of Cutler’s 33 drop-backs on Sunday, and they paid for it, according to ESPN Stats & Information.

“They blitzed us, we had some blitzes,” Bears coach Marc Trestman said. “He had to stand in on two or three occasions waiting on Brandon [Marshall] to come open.”

Cutler ranked No. 33 among quarterbacks in total QBR (23.5) against added pressure, but against the Bengals those numbers were much better. Cutler completed 8-of-10 for 94 yards and a touchdown when the Bengals brought five or more rushers, and passed for four first downs. In 2012, in those circumstances, Cutler completed just 50 percent of his passes for 6.9 yards per completion, with a touchdown to interception ratio of 7 to 6.

Chicago’s offensive line definitely deserves some credit for Cutler’s performance, too, considering the Bengals never sacked him.

“They did a good job up front of listening to me and getting the call and change a few plays,” Cutler said. “No one got frustrated early on with us and the way we were playing. We stuck with the game plan."
  20. Rogelio

Rogelio

I have no doubt he will get another gig - in Dallas after they fire Jason Garrett. Of course, that's just Jerry being Jerry, but he would get a HC job somewhere eventually either way. Lovie was extremely highly thought-of by everybody around the leaguge and in the media outside of Chicago. That's why the national media went nuts when he was fired, claiming he was one of the best coaches in the game and the devious Jay Cutler singlehandedly torpedo'd the Bears each season. The Chicago media, while no fan of Cutler themselves, knew that there was a whole lot of buffoonery on Lovie's part.