Chris Clemmons for Safety anyone

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by BSBEARS, Aug 31, 2014.

1. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +920 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,086ß
    The Chicago Bears Must Check Out Chris Clemons

Sep 1, 2014

[​IMG]

Safety remains an ongoing issue for the Chicago Bears as the 2014 season draws ever closer. Could they get a boost by signing new free agent Chris Clemons?
    Houston Texans cut Clemons in favor of Danieal Manning

Changes continue to come on the Houston Texans defense, but the latest one is a slight surprise. Just a few months ago the team signed 28-year old safety Chris Clemons to a two-year deal worth around $2.7 million. The plan was for him to become their starting free safety. Apparently that plan didn’t go as expected. Clemons was made one of their final roster cuts, and word soon surfaced the team planned to bring back veteran Danieal Manning, who himself was cut by Cincinnati. It’s a curious development. Manning is four years older than Clemons and actually has fewer tackles and interceptions over the past two seasons. One can only surmise Houston feels more comfortable with Manning, who started for them since 2011 but dealt with injuries.
    Clemons grades higher than Ryan Mundy

Often when comparing players, the best source to use is Pro Football Focus because they take a deep look at whether it was the team or the player individually that is the problem during bad or good stretches. Clemons, historically has been a strong safety as he was with the Miami Dolphins. That would mean comparing him to Ryan Mundy, who is currently slated to start for Chicago.
    Using the 2013 season as the benchmark, Mundy and Clemons each started games for their teams. In 667 defensive snaps for the New York Giants, Mundy posted a +0.2 grade with 77 tackles, a sack, two pass defenses and one interception. Conversely, Clemons played 1,158 snaps and had a +4.1 grade with 93 tackles, eight pass defenses and an interception. Scouts see him as a very good box defender who rarely takes bad angles to the ball and tackles well. He also doesn’t get beat much in coverage despite his limited production in takeaways. At 6’1” he has the size to match up with tight ends and played well in preseason.
    Realistically there isn’t much of a downside to this signing for the Chicago Bears. Chris Clemons is a veteran but nowhere near over the hill, can be trusted in coverage and almost never misses his assignments. If the numbers tell the tale, they might not have a better shot at improving over what they have at safety now in 2014.
    • Like Like x 1
  2. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,619 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,819ß
    Yes. Please
  3. Bear_40

Bear_40 Veteran

Ratings:
    +48 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    78ß
  4. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,049 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,774ß
    He sure sounds good ^^^^^
  5. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +920 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,086ß
    He was discussed during FA but we passed for some reason. Think he thought he was going to get big dollars, guessing he would come cheap now.
  6. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,480 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    509ß
    Seems like an utter no brainer to me especially since the Adrian Wilson experiment didn't pan out.
  7. DavidL

DavidL Pro-Bowler SuperFan

Ratings:
    +750 / 6 / -24
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,203ß
    Sign him up. At this point, I am desperate for anything to keep Conte on the sidelines.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. GermansbombedPH

GermansbombedPH Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +53 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    34ß
    Don't you guys wonder why he was cut in favor of Manning?
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß

You beat me to it brother. That's the very first thing I thought of. Why would Houston release a guy they sought in FA only to replace him with a 32 year old vet with a history of injuries? Something isn't right here and it pays to look beyond those PFF metrics.

While we're on that subject let me offer my basic opinion of that PFF stuff. First of all it only tells us what has happened not what will happen. In this case what it does show is that there isn't much difference between Clemons and Mundy and we could probably have signed either but chose Mundy over Clemons. If that's the case why would we want to sign him now unless it was for depth and then we'd need to let someone else go or carry five Safeties.

I don't see a whole lot of benefit to signing him as a backup and that's all he would be right now. Clemons isn't gonna just walk in and be handed Mundy's spot after Mundy earned it in camp and preseason. That said if Emery feels he's an upgrade for us then I would think he's bring him in so we'll see what happens. Phil doesn't leave many stones unturned looking for players and if he passes again you know that he's not any better than what we have despite those PFF metrics.

My quarrel with that stuff is that it's only one part of an evaluation process and quite frankly it's far more subjective than most believe it is. That info in the hands of an NFL GM when coupled with scouting reports and other data might be useful but for fans to use it as a measuring stick to say one player is better than another so let's get him is foolish. There's far more to it than just that.
  10. BradMustersGhost

BradMustersGhost Veteran

Ratings:
    +355 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    330ß
    well said Soulman, well said!
  11. The Benjamin

The Benjamin George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +2,156 / 7 / -9
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,565ß
    You really hate Conte....

What if he starts WITH Conte?

Again, Conte is/was one of the best options for safety. Deal with it. Accept it.
  12. BradMustersGhost

BradMustersGhost Veteran

Ratings:
    +355 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    330ß

In other words, Gary Fencik ain't walkin' through that door....and even if he does, he is too damn old to contribute...in Week 1 anyway, tee-hee!
  13. DavidL

DavidL Pro-Bowler SuperFan

Ratings:
    +750 / 6 / -24
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,203ß
    This is the last year of his contract. He will be unrestricted FA in 2015. If the Bears don't cut him by then and re-sign him, that tells me they are committed to mediocrity at the FS position.

Here's a question, where does Conte rank among Bears starters on defense? Who do you think is WORSE than him among the starting 11 guys? (This could get interesting.)
  14. GermansbombedPH

GermansbombedPH Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +53 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    34ß
    Conte showed flashes of being a good FS 2012. Last year was absolute disaster. With the improved DL, it may end up being serviceable
  15. The Benjamin

The Benjamin George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +2,156 / 7 / -9
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,565ß
    I would say middle of the pack towards the end.

We don't know what Allen has left in the tank, or Briggs (looked awful in PS), Peanut is on his last legs, but I still have faith in him, McC.... don't get me started.......