Chris Conte; Not As Bad As Some Believe, Jennings May Be Worse..

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by soulman, Jun 30, 2014.

1. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

ßearz ßuckz:
    2,923ß
    Please Register or Log in to Remove this Advertisement!
    Actually M Wright I believe I read scored better than Conte, but they were both at or near the bottom of the league as far as starters go. I fully expect Conte to make the team this year as he is still on the last year of his rookie contract and is cheap to keep. Many here like Conte more than I do, and I am not just talking last year, I have never been impressed with his poor angles and being out of position but he does make the occassional great play and interception. Hopefully with better coaching he can improve his angles. I think this is more basic skill though and you either have it or you don't. Its kind of like a bankshot on the pool table, you either visualize the angle or you don't and I question how much that can be taught.

Either way Conte would be a strong back up but may not be starting material. Hopefully coaching can fix his weaknesses and get him to the next level. If not he will probably be a perennial back up type, which you need them too. Will be interesting next yr what Phil does with him. I do not see him breaking the bank by any means, and suspect he will check out F/A to determine his worth. I suspect the Bears will walk away or give him a minimum type offer at this point.

• Like Like x 1
  2. soulman

soulman Position Coach
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    2,956ß

In somewhat, but not complete, defense of Conte we should remember that he was a college CB most of his career, not a FS. He was put in a starting role as a rookie and expected to learn on the fly like most of the Safeties we drafted while Lovie and JA were here. It's not the easiest position to learn. There's a lot of keys and variations in coverage schemes those guys need to know and a lot of territory they're responsible for.

He was showing improvement even last year but man that was a buzz saw he walked into. How much better his fundamentals will get I don't know but I figure we're about to find out. Vereen looks like he's gonna get more of walking start into playing than Conte ever got and I'm betting he'll push the hell out of Conte for that starting spot all year long so how it ends up and whether or not Conte returns next year is still up in the air.

I still believe Conte has NFL skills and that he'll continue to play in the NFL if not here then somewhere else. But he still seems to be lacking in the leadership qualities you really want out of a Safety. The guy should be a candidate for a team captain and yet I don't think he ever will be. Vereen on the other hand does seem to have what you want in a leader and I think eventually that alone will make the difference. Vereen could be another Mike Brown whereas I don't see that in Conte but that still doesn't mean Conte can't be an effective FS.

3. The Benjamin

The Benjamin George Halas
    Staff Member

ßearz ßuckz:
    4,226ß
    I have often said that Conte sucks, but he does get a little too much heat. More than deserved.

4. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    3,771ß
    Chances are that is best hope he has to make the team. The team has certainly made it clear that nothing is given though, he's got real compeition and if he cannot play in TC then even that might not help him.

5. Bearstuff

Bearstuff Yes, in the woods.
    Staff Member SuperFan

ßearz ßuckz:
    802ß
    MD Jennings doesn't have anything locked up at all. Even in shorts, he hasn't looked good at all. If he did, we wouldn't have gone out and signed Adrian Wilson after mini camp.

6. MPbears68

MPbears68 Hall of Famer

ßearz ßuckz:
    1,294ß
    With a respectable front 7 in place to contain the run,
    Conte >> Jennings

I'm not saying CC is a standout player but he is a serviceable one when not expected to rescue tackle halfbacks bursting into the secondary untouched every other play. He is not nearly as bad or "hopeless" as the haters so desperately want to believe.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. The Benjamin

The Benjamin George Halas
    Staff Member

ßearz ßuckz:
    4,226ß
    All secondary players can look much better with a strong DL

8. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    3,771ß

Compareing Conte to MD is really people trying to protect Conte though. MD is bad and not an upgrade even if better. But if Conte is better then MD that's hardly saying anything good about him.

2 years ago Conte wasn't all that good, there's his ceiling, last year he was basement was exposed as being one of the worst in the league. S

9. soulman

soulman Position Coach
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    2,956ß

And therefore???????

Conte will look better too and suck less right? LOL

Gotta give the guy an even break and a chance to recover don't we?

10. Ski-Whiz

Ski-Whiz George Halas
    Staff Member

ßearz ßuckz:
    1,241ß

Foul on the post!!!

:bearbang: