Chris Williams WR/PR/KR

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by billatter, Mar 21, 2014.

1. billatter

billatter Veteran

Ratings:
    +236 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    104ß
    Just ran across this video. This is what you're getting:

• Like Like x 1
  2. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,326 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,502ß
    does he come w/a pre broken neck like the last one that was in a Bears uni?

seriously kid does look fast.
  3. short faced bear

short faced bear Assistant Head Coach DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,233 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    157ß
    If he does anything he will be better than Weems.
  4. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,326 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,502ß
    If all he does is NOT commit stupid ST penalties he'll be an improvement.
  5. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß
    Thanks for this Bill. Here's what I get after watching his highlights.

KOR/PR: He's a lot of a mini Hester. Same incredible acceleration once he sees daylight. Top speed like Hester had in his prime. He can flat out pull away from and out run guys. He has good vision and that same innate ability to cut and alter his direction at full speed without breaking stride and I've only ever seen two Bears players who could do that at will. Hester is one and the other was Gale Sayers. If I saw any weakness he may need work on it's that he doesn't so much set up his blocks as he does accelerate through them and everything else trying to break free so he can just shift into some 6th gear and out run the defenders. How well that works in the NFL kind of depends on whether or not the players here are all that much faster and smarter than their CFL counter parts.

WR: Although he obviously has the deep speed to run go routes and force teams to account for that with deep coverage his best stuff will still probably come from those underneath routes like the crossing routes he ran against some zone stuff. I'd put the ball in his hands where he has room to run and evade tacklers and let him loose that way. Like Hester he doesn't appear to be the most gifted route runner but he does have good hands. I think they'll have to limit him to certain stuff where his raw speed and his elusiveness allow him to make the play. In other words either send him deep or get him the ball in space on simple routes and let him run. He's smaller than you'd like to see but that hasn't stopped a guy like Dexter McCluster from sticking around and doing some damage as a KOR/PR/WR type.

Overall: The kid is impressive as a KOR/PR guy. If he's not hemmed in and brought down fast he's gone. Unfortunately he may not get many opportunities to return kickoffs due to those jackoffs in NY and their plan to eliminate as many KOR as possible. If we couldn't keep Hester around then I guess this kid is about as close to it as we could possibly get. I do see a lot of that early Hester in him and I don't think there's any doubt he'll make the team.
  6. billatter

billatter Veteran

Ratings:
    +236 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    104ß
    That's a good analysis.

He won't do as well in the PR/KR game, not because of talent differences, but rather it'll be because of the narrowness of the NFL field. That simple fact cuts down the lanes any returner has to work with. The wide CFL field is a nightmare for ST coaches defending the return, especially the missed field goal return where many of the downfield tacklers are linemen. In the CFL, every kick and every missed field goal that stays in bounds must be played by the returner, so run backs are far more numerous than in the NFL. He'll be a good addition to the Bears, but he's not going to produce his CFL numbers, simply because the opportunities will not be there.
  7. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß
    I don't expect he will and early one I made some comments about his ability to adjust his game to a much narrower NFL field. But he does have very impressive acceleration and he tends to run most of his stuff North/South and use his acceleration and full speed cutting ability to avoid tackles. Like I said, he doesn't set up behind his blockers much and he may have to work on that once he starts returning here since the coverage won't be so spread out.

I'd say I'm more complimentary of him than not at the moment. I don't see any obvious reasons why he can't be as effective as Hester would have been if he finds a style that works for him. He does give Cutler a streaking downfield target who can out race single coverage if he can learn to adjust to his throws. If he's not making back shoulder throws to his two aircraft carriers than he likes to drop the ball in just over the coverage and let the receiver just run under it but that takes some ability to track the ball and figure out where it's gonna come to earth.

Some guys have that instinctive skill and others don't. In baseball they become outfielders, LOL. When I was playing fast pitch I remember a young kid we had who was a dynamite shortstop. Tall, fast and great range with a good arm but put him in centerfield and you'd have thought he'd never played the game before. He'd come in to attack liners and fly balls like he did grounders and they sail over his head and he couldn't make a backhand catch going to his throwing side to save his soul. He was strictly an infielder but athletic as all hell.
  8. billatter

billatter Veteran

Ratings:
    +236 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    104ß
    QBs throwing to a spot and letting the receiver run under it is pretty common in the CFL, so I don't think that'll be a problem for him. The CFL is much more of an improv league where receivers are changing routes on the fly and QBs are chucking to spots after going through their reads, expecting receivers to be on the same page. He may have other adjustment issues, but not that one. He's fortunate that he has Trestman as his HC. He knows that no one changes leagues without an adjustment period, and that's going either way. He'll give Williams the time to get his head into the NFL game. Other coaches, perhaps not so much.
  9. Ski-Whiz

Ski-Whiz George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +962 / 1 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    526ß
    Something just doesn't seem right with his history. Why are some of his contracts for short:

Miami Dolphins[edit]
    He signed with the Miami Dolphins as an undrafted college free agent on April 30, 2009. He was waived/injured on August 24 and subsequently reverted to injured reserve. He was released with an injury settlement on August 25.
    Cleveland Browns[edit]
    Williams was signed to the Cleveland Browns practice squad on November 9. He was released on November 18.
    Hamilton Tiger-Cats[edit]
    Williams originally signed with the Hamilton Tiger-Cats on October 18, 2010 and spent two weeks on the team's practice roster. He was re-signed on May 18, 2011. On September 3, 2012, during the last Labour Day Classic played at Ivor Wynne Stadium, Willams recorded his sixth return touchdown of the year, setting a new CFL record for return touchdowns in a single season. It was also the third consecutive game in which Williams had returned a punt for a touchdown, which also established a new CFL record.[3] Williams finished the season with 16 touchdowns, 1,298 receiving yards and 1,117 punt return yards.
    After an outstanding season Willams did not want to return to the Ti-Cats under his current contract of less than $50,000, and on March 15 he tweeted the following, ""Im beefin with my squad im not going back."[4] It is believed that Willams wants to play for an NFL team come the 2013 NFL season. On April 4 it was announced that Williams had contacted the Canadian Football League Players' Association to see if the Ticats violated a provision within the collective bargaining agreement that could lead to the final year of his contract with the Tiger-Cats being voided. Williams claims that the Ticats did not offer him the one year plus an option, but rather just the two-year plus an option contract.[5] After failing to show up for mandatory training camp at the start of June 2013 the Ti-Cats placed him under suspension. Neither Williams nor his agent has made any contact with the Tiger-Cats, despite the team trying to communicate with them.[6] On June 4, 2013 an independent arbitrator ruled that Williams' contract with the Tiger-Cats is legal and binding.[7] However, almost 3 months later on August 29, 2013, the Ontario Superior Court of Justice over-ruled the decision of the independent arbitrator, declaring Williams is not bound to any contractual obligations with the Tiger-Cats, making him a free agent in the view of the CFL Players Association. The CFL has announced that they will appeal the decision.[8] On October 2, 2013 the Hamilton Tiger-Cats announced that Williams was free to sign with any NFL team, but they would reserve his CFL rights through the 2014 CFL season.[9]
    New Orleans Saints[edit]
    On October 3, 2013, he was signed by the New Orleans Saints. The move came just one day after he was granted free agency.[10]
    Chicago Bears[edit]
    On December 26, 2013, Williams was signed by the Chicago Bears.[11]
  10. The Benjamin

The Benjamin George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +2,064 / 7 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,316ß
    trouble maker?
  11. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß
    It's hard to say without more info but I'll take a shot.

Dolphins; waived/injured and therefore required to be placed on the IR list until an injury settlement was reached as per CBA?

Browns; signed to PS for a look see and then released when he wasn't what they were looking for?

CFL; played for two years and then wanted more $$$ than they offered and wanted to come to the NFL for more money.

Saints; could have been signed to PS and Bears signed him off their PS or he was released and the Bears signed him after that.

The Bears have had lots or players who signed deal but never played a down of football for them before being released and many guys are on and off the PS all year long. I don't see anything that strange as far as the NFL stuff goes. He was an UDFA most would consider too small for NFL football and he may still be too small for NFL football. I think we're about to find out.
  12. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß
    When Lovie was around he always had a glass that was half full and I always wondered where in the hell the other half of that glass was. The one that was half empty. :confused:

Well now I know. You have it don't you Benji? :p
  13. yttocs

yttocs Pro-Bowler SuperFan

Ratings:
    +50 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    27ß
    Around 35 to 40 seconds in to the video, he's showboating, and gets hit. I like the effort of the lineman that never gave up.
    • Like Like x 3
  14. VJ18

VJ18 Veteran

Ratings:
    +83 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    26ß
    As long as he doesnt run backwards like hester used too Ill take him in with open arms!
    Id laugh if he turned out to be 2014's sleeper player of the year
  15. billatter

billatter Veteran

Ratings:
    +236 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    104ß
    He was down at the one. You can imagine the conversation when he reached the sidelines. He was a lot more humble crossing the goal line afterward.
  16. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß
    While I can understand the desire in some to do a little celebrating AFTER they score if one my players ever did if before, even without the kind of result that Williams experienced, it would be the last TD celebration he'd ever be allowed to have as long he was on my team. When you abuse some privileges they get taken away from you. That's also part of a HC's job.
  17. short faced bear

short faced bear Assistant Head Coach DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,233 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    157ß
    Cleveland also had Cribbs.
  18. dabears70

dabears70 Veteran

Ratings:
    +61 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    72ß
    Impressive video.
  19. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß
    Did my eyes and ears deceive me of was that really our old friend and former Bears QB Henry Burris tossing passes his way??? :eek:
  20. billatter

billatter Veteran

Ratings:
    +236 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    104ß
    Yup, that's THE one and only Henry Burris. He was released lsat year by Hamilton after the season ended and signed a three year deal with Ottawa that will keep in uniform until age 41. His CFL career has been very Cutler-ish, being known for his "Good Hank, Bad Hank'" games. He has a habit of blowing the big ones, losing in the Grey Cup last year. He has one Grey Cup ring, but given the quality of the teams he has played on, he should have a fist full. He'll finish his career well up the list of all time CFL QBs, thanks to his longevity.