Chris Williams

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by ticat, Jul 2, 2014.

1. ticat

ticat Veteran

Ratings:
    +55 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    24ß
    Any word on him, does he have a chance or on his way back here?
  2. ticat

ticat Veteran

Ratings:
    +55 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    24ß
    Did not see thread on returners, sorry.:)
  3. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,911 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,756ß
    From what I heard out of "Moon" Mullins following the OTAs Williams has a great chance of making the team. IMHO his only real competition is coming from Eric Weems and in the two years Weems has been here so far he's impressed no one either as a returner or a receiver. Basically all he's been is the most overpaid STeams coverage guy in the NFL.

"Moon" claimed that Williams looked good as a receiver and all of the media types have commented that he's by far the quickest offensive player on the field. I don't believe any of them got a whole lot of work at returning kicks and punts in OTAs but once they move outside at camp and the STeams guys have their own practice area the competition should begin in earnest.

Weems wants the returner gig because he knows it's the only way he has a prayer of sticking so CWill has to be at least as good or better on his returns and better as a receiver. (that shouldn't be all that hard to do). The wild card between them is that Weems can play on all four STeams units whereas CWill probably won't due to his size. That's where his ability to show up big as a receiving threat too can push him over Weems.

That's my take on it at any rate.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Bearstuff

Bearstuff Yes, in the woods. Staff Member SuperFan

Ratings:
    +1,143 / 3 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    515ß
    I agree with Soul, with one exception. I read somewhere (definitive, huh?) where the competition was still wide open, meaning no one stuck out.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,911 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,756ß
    I think that's correct JD but I don't think they got a lot of work done on returns during OTAs and camp. At least not while they were inside because O'Donnell kept bouncing punts off the ceiling. LOL It was Mullin's comments about Williams being more impressive as a receiver than some expected that I honed in on.

IMHO the job should go to the guy whose the best punt returner. If our defense plays up to it's potential we'll create far more opportunities to return punts than we will kick offs. In fact 100 punt returns and zero kick off returns would be just fine with me. :bannana:

:guinness:
    • Bear Down! Bear Down! x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,250 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    290ß
    You know when Will Rodgers quipped: "I wouldn't want to be in any club that would have me as a member"?

My 2014 Bears version is: "I wouldn't want any ST player that couldn't beat out Eric Weems."
    • Like Like x 2
  7. tbear1

tbear1 Veteran

Ratings:
    +172 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    86ß
    It seems like Weems is the new Conte.
  8. EternalChampion

EternalChampion Veteran

Ratings:
    +80 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    72ß
    Weems has the right tenacity and ability...he just continues to make stupid mistakes. At this point in his career, that isn't going to change. He should be an ex-Bear soon enough.
  9. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,911 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,756ß

Nah, he's been semi-worthless ever since he arrived. Gimme back Corey Graham any day.
    • Like Like x 1