Christian Jones

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by 50YearFrustration, Aug 19, 2014.

1. 50YearFrustration

50YearFrustration Rookie

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    34ß
    I am not usually a fan who wants the Bears to keep a guy just on potential, but in this case I don't believe Emery can stash Jones on the practice squad. Raw? Yes. Not ready to contribute for awhile? Probably. Still, even if you had to steal from another position, I think he's worth the risk,...
  2. B-ell-y-iot

B-ell-y-iot Veteran SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +482 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    457ß
    Fortunately for Jones he's getting looks on STeams which is ultimately where he'll need to flash, but he hasn't done so yet.
    More importantly he hasn't made the most out of the limited play time he's had (24 D snaps in 2 games). In that time on STeams and defense he's made a total of 1 tackle and hasnt made a single impact play.

Jerry Franklin, who's competing @ SLB too has had fewer snaps (19) and has made an impact stop on D and on Steams.

Jones just isn't showing much in games and that's going to work against him. I know he's gifted athletically and that he had good production at FSU, but that doesn't always translate into field success. This is a case where we have to trust our coaching staff and front office to make the correct decision. They see him in practice and the film room and the training room everyday. We don't.
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  3. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,795 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,992ß
    It seems that Jones dropping to UDFA was not just about his off the field issues, but there was apparently something else that teams thought might limit his ability on the field.
  4. Bearstuff

Bearstuff Yes, in the woods. Staff Member SuperFan

Ratings:
    +1,279 / 3 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    664ß
    His wonderlic and history as a free lancer.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß
    Yep, the biggest rip on Jones coming in was that while he's an athletic freak he's far from a polished football player. The positive is that Herring like what he believes he can do with some coaching.

Franklin has been around for a bit and he's a decent STeams guy so I think B- is right. Jones needs to start showing up on STeams if he expects to make the cut. He was one of those who failed to stay in his gap that led to TD in the Philly game.
  6. dabears70

dabears70 Veteran

Ratings:
    +64 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    78ß
    It seems like Franklin is not only looking better than Jones but he's also looking better than J.Senn who was supposed to be an ace on special teams.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. 4dabers

4dabers Veteran DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +762 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    97ß
    I remember another guy that had all the athletic gifts in the world and just didn't have the grey matter to make it work at the professional level. His name was J'Marcus Webb. Actually, there are tons and tons and tons of guys that the league has passed by that had all the physical tools, but just couldn't make it happen.

I'm not saying that is the case with Jones as I too would like to see him succeed. I'm just saying that I agree with Belly, gotta trust the coaches.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß

He's also a MLB/SLB which gives us better depth now. Jones has great upside but we may just have to gamble on him clearing waivers. Every other team in the NFL passes on him in the draft and maybe his lack of football skills for playing at this level is why.

If he makes it it's gonna be because Herring pushes for it because of his relationship with the kid and his father.
  9. 50YearFrustration

50YearFrustration Rookie

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    34ß
    I trust the staff will do what's in the best interest of the team, so perhaps I am shouting at the wind a little. Not buying Franklin or Senn as anything more than teamers, though.
    • Like Like x 1