Coach sugar-coats Peppers & McClellin poor performance...

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by DavidL, Oct 12, 2013.

1. DavidL

DavidL SuperFan

Ratings:
    +474 / 2 / -3
  2. The Benjamin

The Benjamin Bear Down Staff Member

Ratings:
    +1,276 / 3 / -6
    You know.... it might be speaking volumes that these two under performing lineman are getting playing time over Corn-Wash.
    • Like Like x 2
  3. BradMustersGhost

BradMustersGhost

Ratings:
    +211 / 1 / -0
    Well, I am going to give Trest the benefit of the doubt here. I don't feel that he is necessarily "in denial" about the pathetic state of our Defense. Instead, I just think that it is his "player-friendly" coaching philosophy which you see at play here. I don't believe he is the type of coach who believes in "calling out"players via the media. I think we all knew that he was BS'ing us about the defense when referenced the field conditions to excuse the lack of a pass rush against Minnesota.
    • Like Like x 3
  4. A-11

A-11

Ratings:
    +74 / 1 / -0
    At least Trestman isn't in denial that the pass rush is fine. Both ends on occasion are being double teamed, but the comments following the article suggested that Peppers was constantly being game planned for is wrong IMO. Neither end is being significantly game planned for this year that I can tell. Unless you are considering those off tackle runs that have been effective against us.

Shea stunts quite a bit inside and I agree with the plan because he isn't getting off blocks well yet. The backer or person coming in to contain when he does hasn't been successful either. David I'm a McC homer/defender, just as you've been pleading Washington's cause. Article says 9 tackles, the Bear's main site says 14 for Shea. Not a perfect science but it probably closer to 9, however I do not think he is a bad as people make him out to be... Not bad enough for them to take away his jersey at any rate so you might as well get used to him.

If you watch one of the best DL in the game J.J. Watt play as he is being blocked he has a great sense for the ball and timing. Before the runner gets to the line he bench presses his blocker and makes a good move for the tackle. In the Giants game I can't get rid of the image of Jacobs brushing the right side of a blocked McClellin as he ran down the gut. One of McClellins strengths in college was his instinct for knowing where the play was going. I don't think that has gone away. So I will blame lack of strength on that one. When I get some time I'll post a picture of that play or a series of it so you see what I mean. Was thinking about posting it anyways.

The other major McC gripe I have is that have seen him get off the ball late at times. Not all but some and that helps no one. That little pre-snap move jumping inside causing the false start Thursday was nice, and I can't recall any offsides on his part ever. What I have seen is a McClellin who has got off the snap over a second late. He needs to play that aspect closer to the edge except on third downs.

On a positive note he does have a sick spin move. Have not seen it as much this year but the one good pressure he got on Eli was a great play. Shea danced around three people.

Far Trestman or any coach calling out players by name. It just doesn't happen unless there is an extreme reason or issue behind it. Something needs to change and I think it will. Doesn't have to be with personnel but if things stay the same I'll be with ya screaming for CornWASH! For now I trust the coaching staffs line up, it might not be the best but I believe that is what they feel is for the best ATM.
  5. mdbearz

mdbearz

Ratings:
    +262 / 0 / -0
    There really is not a single article out there indicating that CornWash is ready.

I was excited about Collins and CornWash after the preseason. But Im not a coach, so we can hope that maybe the time off will help Tillman and Paea get back
    • Like Like x 1
  6. A-11

A-11

Ratings:
    +74 / 1 / -0
    I just thought of one other thing. Took a while for me to put my finger on it. Having watched Shea play for Boise State, I gotta say He doesn't look like he is having fun out there... some lack of intensity??

Perhaps that is just a product of not being a big man on campus. Not winning the individual battles on the field. What ever the reason, as a fan, I miss it.

He needs a way to find it. DB's do it all the time. They get beat four times in a row, make one play and will shit talk about that one play. Missing attitude IMO.
  7. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 SuperFan

Ratings:
    +1,533 / 0 / -0
    It could simply be the case that the best DL players on our current roster (as pathetic as they are) are playing now. It could be that the players on the bench stink even more that the guys playing. Keep in mind that the coaches jobs depend ultimately on results, so they are not going to intentionally do anything to intentionally stink this year. The coaches are between a "rock and a hard place" if the talent simply isn't there this year, as far as our remaining healthy players at DL.

It stinks, but that's probably the reality of the situation.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 SuperFan

Ratings:
    +1,533 / 0 / -0
    Someone else made a good point in an earlier post, that the coaches do have better knowledge/information on these players than fans do. They work with them every day, and have since training camp. We, as fans, are partially in the dark on the guys we've not seen much of yet. It could simply be the case that guys we want to see get a shot at starting, truly are a significant step down from the players who are getting the playing time right now.

If that is the case, it's a tough and bitter pill to swallow, but it may be the "reality of the situation" right now. Heck some of these backups have been either on the practice squad or inactive. Some have zero experience in the NFL, and/or have come from tiny colleges......not even a major college program. They are projects now, and may not even be remotely ready to play.
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2013
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. DavidL

DavidL SuperFan

Ratings:
    +474 / 2 / -3
    The play I remember from the Giants game was one of Jacobs runs. Not only did McClellin fail to get off his block and even get a finger on Jacobs, his knees buckled and he almost got pancaked -- worst embarrassment for a DL. I checked his strength on bench press at combine --he could only do 19 reps. CornWash did 36 (top performance). He can bench 500 pounds. They aren't going to muscle him around the way they do McClellin. I did watch CornWash preseason, and saw both good and bad. I have also read the scouting reports, and they ALL say his excellent speed and strength give him a lot of upside potential, but needs development.

Jimmors, I don't expect Trestman to stand in front of press and throw McClellin under the bus. But he could just remain silent rather than say in the article "We see evidence that he is the man" when all of us can plainly see that he is not.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Bearstuff

Bearstuff Yes, in the woods. Staff Member

Ratings:
    +616 / 2 / -1
    I realize you've got a full on man crush, but as a UGA fan who watched him, he doesn't have a full complement of moves. If Marinelli were still coaching the DL, then he may have developed more by now. I'm glad we've got him on our team, but I'm not sure that he will perform better. He disappeared at times in the SEC. The competition is better here.
  11. DavidL

DavidL SuperFan

Ratings:
    +474 / 2 / -3
    Yes, that's what really bugs me. They knew he needs to develop, but this will be a wasted year if they just let him flounder on the inactive list. Trestman called McClellin a "work in progress," but here we are in year-2 and where is the progress? I don't have great expectations for CornWash this year, but with McClellin playing so poorly, why not give CornWash and Bass a good look. If nothing else, we'd get a better picture of what they might contribute next season.
  12. JoeBlow

JoeBlow

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

I have no idea what you are saying with that. If the implication is the coaches are trying to lose by not playing the best they have, then you're insane. ;)
  13. JoeBlow

JoeBlow

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

That happens quite a bit when undersized guys that dominated lessor players in college reach the level that they can't do the same things.
    I don't see anything that leads me to think he's going to get significantly better. He's undersized and very weak for the position.
    That isn't going to change.
  14. JoeBlow

JoeBlow

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

Why? Maybe because we're 4-2 and winning games by the skin of our teeth.
    This team is far from bad enough to throw in the towel and far enough from good that you can't afford to not play the best guy you can put on the field RIGHT NOW.
    It's not that complicated.
    • Like Like x 2
  15. BradMustersGhost

BradMustersGhost

Ratings:
    +211 / 1 / -0
    meh, I think that DavidL was merely stating that McClellin isn't really giving us anything, so there is NOTHING to lose by rotating him with Corn Wash. I don't think he was talking about throwing in the towel on the season, his comment regarding "next season", notwithstanding.
  16. GermansbombedPH

GermansbombedPH

Ratings:
    +40 / 1 / -0
    I love it... no pass rush and the only blame goes to Shea. Really, Peppers sucks and is the most overpaid player in this league when you compare payment to results.
  17. MPbears68

MPbears68

Ratings:
    +858 / 1 / -0
    It's time to bite the bullet on Shea.

For this season all you can do is get him off the field for all but obvious passing situations. He can't be a 3-down DE so stop beating your head against a brick wall. He's a proven fail there and lacks the required physical elements to play the position. You wouldn't ask a 6'2" 220 lb man to be your jockey in the Kentucky Derby, so stop expecting Shea to do what God didn't give him for the NFL.

Early this coming offseason a decision will need to be made and there are only two realistic choices.

A) move him to LB and start teaching him the coverage skills he will need when not called upon to blitz. There's no guarantee this will be successful and realistically he will be a backup LB and STer in '14 even if the transition shows positive signs. This is probably a 2 year project if you want to undertake it.

B) cut your losses immediately and trade him. Take your medicine because he's not going to be worth more than a late rounder in trade.

Either choice is a bitter pill but they are the only ones that might still extract some (very reduced) value out of your very poor choice as a 1st round selection. PICK ONE AND DECIDE AND MOVE ON FROM THE "SHEA IS A DE" MISTAKE.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. BradMustersGhost

BradMustersGhost

Ratings:
    +211 / 1 / -0
    Well said, MPbears. Well said.
  19. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston

Ratings:
    +775 / 2 / -0
    DAMMIT... That's why I never won...
  20. tbear1

tbear1

Ratings:
    +103 / 0 / -0
    In the middle of the season, Trestman has no choice but to support the players. They are not 'dogging' it out there. Julius is showing his age and Shea is at the wrong position.

So I did some brief research on the 2012 draft. We took Shea at #19. There were three other DE's drafted after us:
    Shea McClellin 6-3 260 Bears #19
    Chandler Jones 6-5 247 Patriots #21
    Whitney Mercilus 6-3 261 Texans #26
    Nick Perry 6-3 271 Packers #28

They all played last year to some degree and are playing regularly this year. Both Whitney and Nick are playing LB positions. I have no idea how accurate the heights/weights are, but the Texans and Packers have properly adjusted the shorter players to new positions. I don't know if it is too late for Shea, but I don't see how we would get anything for him on a trade.
    • Like Like x 1