Coach sugar-coats Peppers & McClellin poor performance...

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by DavidL, Oct 12, 2013.

1. DavidL

DavidL Pro-Bowler
    SuperFan

Ratings:
    +782 / 7 / -26
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,444ß
    Please Register or Log in to Remove this Advertisement!
    Yes, that's what really bugs me. They knew he needs to develop, but this will be a wasted year if they just let him flounder on the inactive list. Trestman called McClellin a "work in progress," but here we are in year-2 and where is the progress? I don't have great expectations for CornWash this year, but with McClellin playing so poorly, why not give CornWash and Bass a good look. If nothing else, we'd get a better picture of what they might contribute next season.

2. JoeBlow

JoeBlow Rookie

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:

I have no idea what you are saying with that. If the implication is the coaches are trying to lose by not playing the best they have, then you're insane. ;)

3. JoeBlow

JoeBlow Rookie

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:

That happens quite a bit when undersized guys that dominated lessor players in college reach the level that they can't do the same things.
    I don't see anything that leads me to think he's going to get significantly better. He's undersized and very weak for the position.
    That isn't going to change.

4. JoeBlow

JoeBlow Rookie

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:

Why? Maybe because we're 4-2 and winning games by the skin of our teeth.
    This team is far from bad enough to throw in the towel and far enough from good that you can't afford to not play the best guy you can put on the field RIGHT NOW.
    It's not that complicated.

• Like Like x 2
  5. BradMustersGhost

Ratings:
    +400 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    447ß
    meh, I think that DavidL was merely stating that McClellin isn't really giving us anything, so there is NOTHING to lose by rotating him with Corn Wash. I don't think he was talking about throwing in the towel on the season, his comment regarding "next season", notwithstanding.

6. GermansbombedPH

GermansbombedPH Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +74 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    94ß
    I love it... no pass rush and the only blame goes to Shea. Really, Peppers sucks and is the most overpaid player in this league when you compare payment to results.

7. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,947 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,037ß
    It's time to bite the bullet on Shea.

For this season all you can do is get him off the field for all but obvious passing situations. He can't be a 3-down DE so stop beating your head against a brick wall. He's a proven fail there and lacks the required physical elements to play the position. You wouldn't ask a 6'2" 220 lb man to be your jockey in the Kentucky Derby, so stop expecting Shea to do what God didn't give him for the NFL.

Early this coming offseason a decision will need to be made and there are only two realistic choices.

A) move him to LB and start teaching him the coverage skills he will need when not called upon to blitz. There's no guarantee this will be successful and realistically he will be a backup LB and STer in '14 even if the transition shows positive signs. This is probably a 2 year project if you want to undertake it.

B) cut your losses immediately and trade him. Take your medicine because he's not going to be worth more than a late rounder in trade.

Either choice is a bitter pill but they are the only ones that might still extract some (very reduced) value out of your very poor choice as a 1st round selection. PICK ONE AND DECIDE AND MOVE ON FROM THE "SHEA IS A DE" MISTAKE.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. BradMustersGhost

Ratings:
    +400 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    447ß
    Well said, MPbears. Well said.

9. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Coordinator

Ratings:
    +3,446 / 13 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    3,517ß
    DAMMIT... That's why I never won...

10. tbear1

tbear1 Veteran

Ratings:
    +333 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    372ß
    In the middle of the season, Trestman has no choice but to support the players. They are not 'dogging' it out there. Julius is showing his age and Shea is at the wrong position.

So I did some brief research on the 2012 draft. We took Shea at #19. There were three other DE's drafted after us:
    Shea McClellin 6-3 260 Bears #19
    Chandler Jones 6-5 247 Patriots #21
    Whitney Mercilus 6-3 261 Texans #26
    Nick Perry 6-3 271 Packers #28

They all played last year to some degree and are playing regularly this year. Both Whitney and Nick are playing LB positions. I have no idea how accurate the heights/weights are, but the Texans and Packers have properly adjusted the shorter players to new positions. I don't know if it is too late for Shea, but I don't see how we would get anything for him on a trade.

• Like Like x 1